Rubber Works in Liverpool

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
vinny
Posts: 1209
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:47 pm

Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:41 pm

Gillies what Fantastic pictures thanks for posting them :D :D
Blair Street ..Marsh Lane..Bootle Village..Now Brighton-le-Sands (Waterloo)
annie
Posts: 845
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:36 pm

Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:11 pm

very nostalgic photos gillies.when you look at the mens clothes you can see how hard they worked and the conditions they worked in those so called good old days
Dan
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:24 pm

Sat May 18, 2019 6:42 am

Image

Image

I think this is the area in question.It became the Kingfisher Business Park, after the safe removal of 12,000 tonnes of soil.

The council found out about a possibile tin smelting/radioactivity problem when one of the Environmental Officers was out doing routine checks.

It was in a report in The Guardian from 1990 by Rob Edwards.

Image
Image

There is a HMSO report entitled “Demolition of the Mellanear Works Bootle” published in 1975. Need to visit Blackwells.

Regards

Dan
Gardner 180
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:17 pm

Sat May 18, 2019 4:38 pm

Dan wrote:Image

Image

I think this is the area in question.It became the Kingfisher Business Park, after the safe removal of 12,000 tonnes of soil.

The council found out about a possibile tin smelting/radioactivity problem when one of the Environmental Officers was out doing routine checks.

It was in a report in The Guardian from 1990 by Rob Edwards.

Image
Image

There is a HMSO report entitled “Demolition of the Mellanear Works Bootle” published in 1975. Need to visit Blackwells.

Regards

Dan
Dan, Regarding "Rubber Works", I remember a Dunlop factory on Rice Lane, just past where Sainsbury`s is now.
I seem to recall that what is now a large Chinese restaurant was Dunlop`s office, and in more recent times, there
was a "Working Mens Club" in the street just past the office. In the 1950s, my mother worked at Dunlops in Speke,
making wellies, she used to cycle there and back from Belle Vale prefabs where we lived. Regards, Ray.
User avatar
filsgreen
Posts: 4918
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 8:28 am

Sat May 18, 2019 5:05 pm

The club is still in Stalmine Road, Ray, not sure if it's still called that though. :)
Gardner 180
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:17 pm

Sat May 18, 2019 6:00 pm

filsgreen wrote:The club is still in Stalmine Road, Ray, not sure if it's still called that though. :)
Hi, Thanks for your comments, I went to that club once in the late 1980s when it had become a cabaret
club and it was called "Dunneys". Tony Christie was top of the bill that night. Further to my Dunlops post,
At the age of 11 in 1955, I joined the Boy Scouts at Childwall Valley Methodist Church on Score Lane.
The Scoutmaster was a Mr Arthur Oxer, known to us as "Skip Oxer". He was a senior manager at Dunlops
at Rice Lane, and he had a Dunlops company car, a Standard 8, Reg No ROL 93, a Birmingham number
from where Dunlops Head Office and factory were. Skip lived near Gateacre station, and when he retired,
he and his wife bought a beautiful bungalow overlooking the English Channel at Sidmouth, Devon.

Regards, Ray.
Gordon Carson
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:59 pm

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:04 pm

arthur wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:04 pm
Hi Gillies.I drove a wagin for J Rose Tyres Of Liverpool,
and once or twice a week i made a delivery of scrap rubber
to the Northwest Rubber reclaimers on Hauthorne rd ,which was
about 1/2ml past the Ribble bus sheds,going towards the White house pub.
This would have been in 1950s. :)




Bootle buck Arthur.
Hello Arthur - My dad worked for J Rose Tyres, do you remember him - Jim Carson?
Gordon Carson
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:59 pm

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:06 pm

arthur wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:04 pm
Hi Gillies.I drove a wagin for J Rose Tyres Of Liverpool,
and once or twice a week i made a delivery of scrap rubber
to the Northwest Rubber reclaimers on Hauthorne rd ,which was
about 1/2ml past the Ribble bus sheds,going towards the White house pub.
This would have been in 1950s. :)




Bootle buck Arthur.
My Dad worked for JRT, do you remember him - Jim Carson?
Gillies
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:46 pm

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:17 pm

Thank you Bootle Buck, Arthur, only today got an email notification of your post. So many changes in the area around there, some for the better but not all.
Gordon Carson
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:59 pm

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:15 am

arthur wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:04 pm
Hi Gillies.I drove a wagin for J Rose Tyres Of Liverpool,
and once or twice a week i made a delivery of scrap rubber
to the Northwest Rubber reclaimers on Hauthorne rd ,which was
about 1/2ml past the Ribble bus sheds,going towards the White house pub.
This would have been in 1950s. :)

My Dad Jim Carson also worked for JRT, do you remember him?


Bootle buck Arthur.
Post Reply