Rubber Works in Liverpool

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories

Postby vinny » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:41 pm

Gillies what Fantastic pictures thanks for posting them :D :D
Blair Street ..Marsh Lane..Bootle Village..Now Brighton-le-Sands (Waterloo)
vinny

Postby annie » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:11 pm

very nostalgic photos gillies.when you look at the mens clothes you can see how hard they worked and the conditions they worked in those so called good old days
annie

Re: Rubber Works in Liverpool

Postby Dan » Sat May 18, 2019 6:42 am

I think this is the area in question.It became the Kingfisher Business Park, after the safe removal of 12,000 tonnes of soil.

The council found out about a possibile tin smelting/radioactivity problem when one of the Environmental Officers was out doing routine checks.

It was in a report in The Guardian from 1990 by Rob Edwards.

There is a HMSO report entitled “Demolition of the Mellanear Works Bootle” published in 1975. Need to visit Blackwells.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Postby Gardner 180 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:38 pm

Dan wrote:Image

I think this is the area in question.It became the Kingfisher Business Park, after the safe removal of 12,000 tonnes of soil.

The council found out about a possibile tin smelting/radioactivity problem when one of the Environmental Officers was out doing routine checks.

It was in a report in The Guardian from 1990 by Rob Edwards.

There is a HMSO report entitled “Demolition of the Mellanear Works Bootle” published in 1975. Need to visit Blackwells.

Regards

Dan

Dan, Regarding "Rubber Works", I remember a Dunlop factory on Rice Lane, just past where Sainsbury`s is now.
I seem to recall that what is now a large Chinese restaurant was Dunlop`s office, and in more recent times, there
was a "Working Mens Club" in the street just past the office. In the 1950s, my mother worked at Dunlops in Speke,
making wellies, she used to cycle there and back from Belle Vale prefabs where we lived. Regards, Ray.
Gardner 180

Postby filsgreen » Sat May 18, 2019 5:05 pm

The club is still in Stalmine Road, Ray, not sure if it's still called that though. :)
filsgreen

Postby Gardner 180 » Sat May 18, 2019 6:00 pm

filsgreen wrote:The club is still in Stalmine Road, Ray, not sure if it's still called that though. :)

Hi, Thanks for your comments, I went to that club once in the late 1980s when it had become a cabaret
club and it was called "Dunneys". Tony Christie was top of the bill that night. Further to my Dunlops post,
At the age of 11 in 1955, I joined the Boy Scouts at Childwall Valley Methodist Church on Score Lane.
The Scoutmaster was a Mr Arthur Oxer, known to us as "Skip Oxer". He was a senior manager at Dunlops
at Rice Lane, and he had a Dunlops company car, a Standard 8, Reg No ROL 93, a Birmingham number
from where Dunlops Head Office and factory were. Skip lived near Gateacre station, and when he retired,
he and his wife bought a beautiful bungalow overlooking the English Channel at Sidmouth, Devon.

Regards, Ray.
Gardner 180

Previous

Return to Talk about the History of Bootle here