Caribbean Cruise Ventura N001

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
Invicta

Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:22 pm

Greetings from Madeira, 22C bright sunshine.
Smooth crossing so far . Had a slight detour to La Coruna to medivac a sick crew member.
In port with Sister ship Arcadia, both leaving for Barbados, 5 days at sea.
Lunch ashore

Invicta

Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:00 pm

Our Sister Arcadia leaving Funchal ahead of us.

EdMcDonald

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:02 pm

We'll be touring the Caribbean for two weeks, starting Sunday from New Orleans. Going with Norwegian lines. Been with them before and wasn't too impressed. Free booze and warm sunshine is what we're after.That's why we chose this cruiselone. Next week temperature here is going down to mid minus thirties in Edmonton.
Hope our ship doesn't bump into you. :wink:
Home of the "Edmonton Oilers" Future Stanley Cup Champions. :D
A long way from Duncan B.C. :wink:
bjones

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:31 am

Ken, Ed...….S#D OFF! :P
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Bonesy

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:59 am

Happy cruising cus.

Keith
SO MANY PEOPLE, MY FAMILY OF FRIENDS
Elaine Goulding

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:33 pm

Ed, the mind boggles at the thought of minus 30 in Edmonton. How have you coped all these years with those kind of temperatures? I would be dreading winter :cry:
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
Matt

Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:52 pm

Hope you will have a great time Ken.Happy cruising.Off to Mazatlán Mexico for 20 days next month but no cruise :( We will just have to rough it lay on the beach and work on our suntans :D

Elaine they are all nutters in Alberta.My uncle was born and bred in Edmonton,he is 89 this birthday has never driven never left Edmonton and used to walk to work most days even in winter :P Part Inuit I think :lol: but as Albertans will tell you "it's a different cold and different snow" My mother lasted 1 month there and ended up on the bus to Vancouver when the temperature got down to a balmy minus 15 :D
Matt
EdMcDonald

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:47 pm

Hi Matt. All Albertans are tough nuts. I think i'm the latter for liking this weather. Next week is going to be a real cold one. Up north they are talking about minus 45 to 50. How the heck I used to work up there I don't know. Weather seems to bother me more now i've retired, that's why we cruise a lot or drive down to Arizona for three months.
Elaine. Take no notice of Matt. Hates the fact that we've got the worlds best hockey player. :wink: What is the name of your cruise ship. We might just be in the same port at the same time.
Matt. I lit all eight candles for you. :wink:
Matt

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:32 pm

Ed that Irish Scottish Welsh Canadian will not last long after all he is the captain of the Oilers and you know what has happened to EVERY other Oiler captain...trading block :lol: remember Peter Pocklington with admittingly the best player in the world "the great one".Ed I am not on a cruise or are you referring to Ken??
Thanks for thinking of me during Hanukkah Ed.
Matt
EdMcDonald

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:09 am

I made an oops. Should have asked Ken about the cruise. Old age and old brandy taking effect on me.
Bladdy cold outside. :shock:
Elaine Goulding

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:19 pm

Matt/Ed,
You guy`s are a scream when you get together on here. You always make me laugh. I still have to wonder though how you manage the winters in Alberta Ed. They are tough temperatures you are talking about. I imagine it would become quite depressing after a while because you have such long winters.
We have had snow here in Ontario with temperatures dropping to minus 11-14 which is nothing compared to Alberta. My dear Mother used to enjoy the cold here in Canada. She had COPD and found she felt better here rather than the damp of Liverpool. Well Ed, enjoy your upcoming cruise, warm weather and lot`s of brandy :D
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
Invicta

Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:30 pm

Arrived St Vincent after 2700 nautical miles in beautiful weather. Our Cat trip to Bequia was cancelled due to choppy conditions so a quick island tour. Now drinking Hairoun beer with a great reggae band playing familiar tunes. Grenada next stop😎
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:48 pm

Lucky bugger.

We have to wait before FLA for a week or so in April then Transatlantic aboard Seabourn Quest. Maybe a little ambitious as it is quite small for transatlantic. Hope we are a s lucky as you with the weather. :roll:
Matt

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:55 pm

Have a great time in Grenada Ken you lucky people.We just got a blast of winter here.10cm of snow...unheard of :) Have a nice demerara rum for me.
Matt
Invicta

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:49 pm

Spent the day on Grande Anse beach Grenada. Temps pushed 30C but odd liquid sunshine shower. Now on the beach at Carlisle Bay, Barbados, similar temp but a bit windy. Sea Day tomorrow before Curacao in Dutch Antilles.
Great cruise so far with nice ship mates, great food and good and lots of entertainment. No outstanding acts yet , they even tripped out Bernie Flint remember him?
In Barbados with another Sister P&O Aurora and a Seabourn ship. Must go it's free shots at the bar for Ventura Pax. Ah might stay on the sunbed as the dancing girls from the 2 P&O ships are having a bikini clad photo shoot right in front of me!! Make that a double rum please . 😎
Matt

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Very envious Ken :) but would not know what to do with bikini clad young ladies. :oops:
Cannot wait to get off Paradise Island for a while and lay in the sun.Our "light dusting" of snow turned into 30cm last night.All schools cancelled classes for today.Victoria and Duncan city do not even have a snow clearing budget.Trans Canada Highway a mess.People on Southern Vancouver Island love to try and show the rest of Canada how to drive in snow without winter tires resulting in disastrous results.Ah well have a couple of rums on me.Pay you if I ever get to meet up :lol:
Matt
Invicta

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:48 pm

Just memories Matt but beautiful girls, we shared a minibus back to the ship.Only kids, 20/21, first contract for some, 9 months away.
Anyway, lots of rum consumed so you owe me.
More tonight as we have a tropical deck party and a late sailaway, outrageous shirts order of the day.
Ernie , it's the Sojourn next to us, looks very nice.
Catch up in a few days.
Cheers Ken
Matt

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:58 pm

Know what you mean re the young ladies Ken.Last cruise we were invited to sit at the entertainment directors table along with three of the young entertainers one of them was from Nanaimo just 50 klms from where we live and one of the others was born in Egypt just like me :) Great bunch of young people and they work so hard and very long hours.
Not one of them was as old as our granddaughter Kalika and she is just 23 but their energy and enthusiasm is wonderful.Maybe I had that kind of "get up and go"55 years ago but alas it got up and went quite some time ago. Bought a great bottle of 12 year old rum in Curacao when we where there in April last year cannot drink it neat anymore but it is very smooth and with a kick like a mule.
Matt
Invicta

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Now in Willemstad Curacao, shpoping day, the great weather continues. Left Barbados to a great late night sailaway party on deck .
The show featured Scouser, Justine Riddoch as Tina Turner and what a great job she did.
Marella Dicovery and Matt's Serena in port today.
Sea day tomorrow as we head for Colon in Panama.
Forecast is for 40 knots wind and 4m swells so no soup tomorrow . Hope you get this Vodafone keep warning me about spending limits.
Cheers
Ken
Eddy Lloyd

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:57 am

Enjoy it Ken, savour every thing. :)
bjones

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:25 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: …..that's me but I'll gerrover it :wink:
Enjoy your well earned break Ken & Jeanette.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Invicta

Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:49 pm

Still going! via Panama , took the train Atlantic to Pacific via Panama City. Did an inspection of new locks. Saw sloths, crocs , monkeys.
Then Costa Rica where we did Rainforest from aerial tram, it did what it said on the tin and rained !
Today in Cartegena , Colombia, walking the old city, madhouse !
Sea days have been busy with lots of activities. Whilst J goes to bridge I play cricket, footy, table tennis. The afternoons usually around the pool swimming and sunbathing listening to live music.
Next we head back to the ABC islands for Bonaire, after a day at sea .
We have had perfect weather, 30 C today , clear skies and calm seas.
Had dinner with Steve , a Scouser who used to be on the door at Allison’s.
Cheers
Ken
Bonesy

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:49 am

Worn out reading that cus :D

Keith
Invicta

Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:34 pm

Chill day today beautiful Bonaire beach.
Snorkelling and swimming.
Heading North tonight. Next stop St Lucia after a day at sea on Saturday. K 8)
Invicta

Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:59 pm

After a great day at sea with a few Caribbean showers we had the higher tier drinks party with lots of champagne followed by a splendid lobster dinner.
Now in St Lucia, just had a Cat cruise to the Pitons , swimming from the Cat, snorkelling then too much Rum punch on the way back, Her Ladyship " resting " at least it keeps her out of the jewellery shops.
Guadalupe tomorrow then St Martin/St Martin Dutch/ French island before we head back to Blighty via Ponta Del Garda in the Azores.
Matt's Marina in port with us today.
Stay well all.
Ken
Invicta

Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:15 pm

Guadaloupe today, off to “Death in Paradise “ location and beach.
This island is a classed as part of France so EU so no phone roaming charges.
All the other , formerly British islands, we’ve paid for as little 4 G available.
Sorry to keep telling you, but clear blue skies and 30C again, Ken
Invicta

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:34 pm

Catherine's Bar from the series.
Miserable staff and Euro5 a bottle of local beer , most expensive we have encountered never again.
Ken
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:51 pm

Glad you are having great cruise Ken. You deserve it.

Your posts have brought something to mind in that a cruise is enjoyed very differently to everyone that takes one.

I have been an avid cruiser or many years but don't do any of the things you or Matt and partners enjoy. In almost 90 cruises I think we may have been on a beach no more than three or four times, including the overcrowded, scruffy, Copacabana, My favourite by far was Bon Bon Island off the West African coast, The rest of that coast is something to be avoided.

As with most readers here my annual holiday as a kid was usually an odd day or so in the year on Formby sands, sharing a sand sandwich and fourth or fifth in line for a swig from a bottle of warm water which included crumbs of bread from those before me.

Old pensioner age does have a few advantages.

I am sure that we all agree that a holiday was never a holiday before we found, and could afford, cruising.

Thanks for sharing. Stay happy, enjoy, and look forward to the next time. :D
Invicta

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:29 pm

Thanks Ernie. Our last Caribbean stop St Maarten is being shared with 4 other large vessels including RCI monster Symphony of the Seas, just reversing in next to us as I write.
Most on here are of a "certain age " and there are many repeat pax who do it every year to escape the Winter and I know many have booked again for 2021.
It's quite sedate for P&O but one of the best we have done with a decent mix of passengers.
Today likely expensive for me as St Maarten is a place for jewellery. Janette couldn't get a ring for her 70th last May due to a hand injury and it's our 50th WA this May so have to try and avoid a double whammy.
Ernie, enjoy your crossing, Skipper announced all OK for us until Azores so calm seas and fair winds.
Cheers
Ken
Ernie, sometimes on this cruise we have shared a warm water on the beach with biscuits brought from the cabin.
"You can take the boy out of Bootle " :lol:
Invicta

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:09 pm

Just a comment about Guadeloupe.
It remained a French "Department" so considered part of the EU and you can see it in the infrastructure. Lots of new roads and developments and seemingly very prosperous compared to the independent former British islands which can be rather shabby.
At least we won't be paying for Guadeloupe when we leave EU. K
Bonesy

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:46 am

Been enjoying reading about you cruise Ken, been interesting.

Keith
Invicta

Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:36 am

Last port of call today, Ponta del Garda in Azores. 15 C sunny.
One decent day out of Caribbean, then 2 days of squalls then 2 days dry and bright but windy with big seas. 16C.
Sunny, bright but cooler conditions forecast for our run to Southampton but calm seas.
Little or no wildlife spotted in last week, just some flying fish and a few diving birds but hopefully as we are now in cooler waters we may spot something.
Signing off.
Ken
Invicta

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:28 pm

All home and sorted. Had a great last few days at sea.
Bright but cool. A bit better entertainment at the end.
Darren Day was brilliant, I didn't know before his West End career he was a vocal impressionist, excellent.
The daytime speaker was The "Rev " Richard Coles who Ichatted to a lot whilst we were doing our morning laps.
Diet now!
Ken
Bonesy

Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:20 pm

Good cruise blog cus. Pleased that you are home safe and well. Love to all x

Keith
Invicta

Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:30 pm

Cheers Keith,
We really enjoyed it, so much so we booked on board for next year, they were throwing lots of OBC at us, hard to resist.
Managed to get off with a bill less than £100 but it did cost me a few Bob ashore in the jewellery store in St Martin
Met lots of Scousers including a lady born in Bootle whom we met only this morning in the disembarkation lounge, she was 88 and quite a girl. She told us about an earlier cruise
They were on a fixed dining table for 8 and the first few night all turned up but the two following nights one couple never turned up then the wife turned up and she was asked “ where is your husband ? In the morgue she replied, he died in his sleep 2 nights ago”. The other diners, shocked, asked “ shouldn’t you be mourning him and staying in your cabin out of respect? Hell no she said, the old b**tard bought a wine package and no way am I going to waste that ! “ :lol:
A bit chaotic in the luggage area this morning, 3000 passengers and over 7000 bags with a high number of passengers on release from “ the home for the bewildered “ you can imagine :shock:
Take care Cus
Ken