Testing NEW Dark Theme

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
Mack
Site Admin

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:07 am

Hi everyone, I've changed our colour scheme to 'Dark Mode/Theme'. Don't worry I can quickly change it back.

The dark theme is much easier on the eyes and also uses up much less battery power on mobile devices.

Let me know your thoughts here. Maybe someone could start a poll?

I'll leave it like this for 24 hours. If everyone is happy I can leave it as it is, if not I'll change it back.

I'll abide by the majority.

Cheers everyone,

Mack
Bernie R

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:32 am

Hiya Mack

At first glance I love it - as you say, much easier on the eye.

Now to try and set up that test poll for you - wish me luck :lol:

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Mack
Site Admin

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:37 am

Cheers Bernie :)

Been testing some font setting and this seems the best so far.

Fingers crossed for you setting up the poll... It's all new stuff here...

Ta! Bern :D

Mack :)
Bernie R

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:39 am

Poll is live for one day Mack
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Mack
Site Admin

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:52 am

Bril :)

Thanks Bernie.

Great to get some feedback in the POLL there and thanks so much for setting it up.

Mack :)
Invicta

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:47 am

Very Arriva :lol:

I like it Mack , seems very clear.

Ken
bjones

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:21 am

Really like the dark theme but a bit bewildered by the meaning of the new symbols.
e.g on the "topics" line of Chat About Anything there's; a pair of speech bubbles, an eye and a clock
Also there are pink dots at the start of some thread titles and against people's names and smaller yellow dots forming part of the circles which show read/unread posts since one last looked in...…… and before anyone asks ..NO I haven't been drinking!!
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Invicta

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:39 am

Wot No Fizz with your Frosties , Bee , not like you :wink: Kx
Bernie R

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:50 am

Bee

Those 3 icons on the topics line refer to replies, views and date/time of last post on a thread.

Think the red dots on the threads highlight threads on which you haven't read the latest posts.

Unsure of the yellow dot on the circles though.

Bern
Mack
Site Admin

Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:20 pm

Hi gang,

The dark theme was obviously very popular and I personally preferred it too myself.

For the time being though I've switched it back to the way it was originally - light theme due to some members not liking it.

When I can get a switch added which will allow you change it yourself I'll make it available again and you can choose yourselves.

Not sure when that will be though.

Cheers everyone.

Mack
filsgreen

Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:27 pm

Your the boss, Mack, but I think it would be democratic to go with the majority. :D
Mack
Site Admin

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:20 pm

Cheers Phil,

I posted over in the other thread link here - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36003 about it.

I may have a solution coming soon that will allow members to use either light or dark themes so everyone is happy.

Just need to do some research on how to do this. The simple switch idea is not possible at the moment.

As soon as I figure it out I'll set it up here so both light and dark themes are working as options.

Bezzies,

Mack
BossHogg

Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:30 am

I know what you mean Mack, my tech guy installed extra themes on my old forum for me as I didn't have a clue. That was different software to this though. ;)
Bernie R

Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:08 pm

Good luck Mack

Would really like to be able to use the dark theme.

Shame those of us who voted for it didn't also post supportive comments to 'level the playing field' but obviously understand your desire to keep folks happy.

Cheers

Bern
Bill fawcett

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:26 pm

Bernie, I personally am glad that Mack is trying to find a button that will give people a choice of which colour to use. I was only looking at the blue pages for about 10 minutes and it was giving me eye strain. I get where you are coming from regarding democracy, but I cannot see the problem about having a choice if Mack says that it is possible. You can then use the blue format if you so desire.

Cheers
Bill
Mack
Site Admin

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:51 am

Hi gang,

I've been in touch with web developers discussing this and unfortunately at this time there is no switch solution available at this time to quickly change themes from light to dark.

It currently has to be either 'Light 'or 'Dark'.

There is a solution coming Spring 2020 after more testing. This will result a completely new control panel and design with options to make the changes in there.

The current problem is after asking for more information about this... is that it is due to cookies saving website preferences flickering occurs which could cause epilepsy when changing the theme colour. It is also very unstable at the moment.

Keeping you in the loop.

Mack
filsgreen

Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:29 am

Thanks, Mack.
Elaine Goulding

Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:54 am

A couple of weeks ago we all worried if we would have a forum for Christmas. Now the debate is what colour should it be. In the grand scheme of things is it really THAT important? Originally my choice would have been the bright colour, now I do not care if the colour is sky blue pink! Mack, considering all the hard work you have put into bringing this forum up to date it is now so very kind of you to give members the option of colour. You did all the hard work, you will never please everyone...… you choose a colour :wink:
Elaine
Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
Bernie R

Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:52 am

Elaine

Hear hear.

My comments after switching back to white were supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek - believe me, I prefer the dark layout as that big white screen is a tad overpowering, but I'm not really complaining. Just glad we're still all here.

Bern
Mack
Site Admin

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:28 am

Solution for users using the Firefox web browser in Dark Mode. Got it working great here using this web browser.

You will need to install the latest Firefox web browser here if you do not currently use it....

https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/new/

After installing go to... Add-ons in the menu top right of the web browser - the 3 lines displaying top right there. This is known in web development terms as the 'hamburger'.

In the drop down menu click on - Add-ons.

Type in the search box - Dark Reader

Install Dark Reader...

Or see the direct link below...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... darkreader

Direct link to add on...

https://darkreader.org/help/en/

Switch is now available top right of your web browser - It looks like an OWL icon once installed. Click it to switch from light to dark and make any modifications there to your own user preferences.

Not tested yet on mobile devices. UPDATE - Switch not available on mobile installation after a quick test at this time.

Give it a try though and see how you get on.

Should now work on all websites with a light background colour on desktop devices.

Note: it is still in development at this time. It is also being tested in the Chrome web browser too but I can't get it to work correctly at this time without experiencing issues, so I'm not posting a link to that version right now.

This is all really new stuff for trying out and testing.

Cheers,

Mack
Invicta

Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:24 am

Mack, how is this ? Ken
Mack
Site Admin

Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:34 am

Looks great now Ken :)

BTW gang, I've just tested the 'Android' phone version of Firefox with the dark mode feature added and it works great too.

Once added click the 3 dots top right then scroll down to 'Dark Reader' for the settings which is near the bottom of the menu. I missed it in my previous post.

Mack :wink: