Ribble buses in Liverpool

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

Re: Ribble buses in Liverpool

Postby BOBHAMO » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:03 pm

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
BOBHAMO

Postby Gardner 180 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Dan wrote:Enlarged for Ray to work his magic.

Regards

Dan

I am grateful to Dave for posting these pictures for me, and also to Dan for enlarging them. I will add some detail.

1. A Lancashire United Guy Arab at the junction of Derby Square and Lord Street on route 320 to Wigan.
This was a joint service with St Helens Corporation and Wigan Corporation and Ribble Motor Services.

2. Ribble Leyland Leopard,fleet number 900 about to leave Blackpool on the Express service to Liverpool.
This coach was based at Wigan depot during my time with Ribble in the late 1960s, drove it many times.

3. A Lancashire United "Bristol RE" at the top of St Johns Lane on route 320 to Wigan in the 1970s.

4. Ribble Leyland Atlantean 1686 is from about 1960, and is in the care of Ribble Vehicle Preservation Trust.
The Leyland bus at the rear is also preserved, ex Birkenhead Corporation Transport.

5. Wigan Corporation Leyland PD2 on route 320 to Wigan when it was just 3 weeks old, also a Leyland PD2
of St Helens Corporation on route 317 to St Helens.

Regards, Ray Smyth.
Gardner 180

Postby Gardner 180 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:01 pm

During my 2 years driving Ribble buses from early 1968, I got to go to several Ribble depots in other towns,
e.g. Blackburn, Chorley, Morecambe, Preston, Southport, etc, but I never went to any of the Liverpool depots.
I knew where Aintree and Skelhorne Street sites were, but not Bootle depot. I would like to see some pictures
of the Merseyside Ribble depots when they were still active. Best Regards, Ray Smyth.
Gardner 180

Postby filsgreen » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:08 pm

It was on Hawthorne Road, opposite Staley Street , Ray. I haven't got any photos, but I used to go into the garage and cadge rolls of bus tickets off the conductors. God know why. :D
filsgreen

Postby Bill fawcett » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:53 pm

I saw a No 61 bus in Linacre Lane today which was red. It had Ribble on the side and Arriva on the rear. Anyone else seen this or know anything about it?

Bill
Last edited by Bill fawcett on Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill fawcett

Postby BossHogg » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:29 pm

I've seen something similar up here, it was a Stagecoach double decker, painted in the livery of the long defunct Cumberland bus company.
BossHogg

Postby Dan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:30 am

Bill fawcett wrote:I saw a No 61 bus in Linacre Lane today which was red. It had Ribble on the side and Aviva on the rear. Anyone else seen this or know anything about it?

Bill

Get the 63 to Crosby library. Bus in the same livery turned up last week. Hadn't seen "Ribble"on a bus in years.
Dan

Postby Gardner 180 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:45 pm

With regard to the above reports of seeing buses in Ribble livery recently, about 6 weeks ago,
I saw a Volvo single decker passing through Wigan town centre on route 320 to St Helens in
the original Ribble deep red colour and the "Ribble" name in lower case lettering. I wasn't
near enough to get a picture of it, and by a coincidence, a picture of it appeared on the
lorry drivers forum called TrucknetUK a few days later. I have put a picture of it in to my Pictures
folder, but try as I may, I still cant master putting pictures on this Forum, despite the kind gestures
from Bootle Forum members. My nephew Andrew is calling to see me in a couple of weeks time, he is
well into computer graphics, his job title is "Technical Author" and he will show me where I am going
wrong. In the meantime, if you go to TrucknetUK, click on "Board Index", then click on "Old Time Lorries"
etc, and scroll down to a thread that I started last year called "Buses & Coaches & Lorries", you can find
this Ribble Volvo on page 31. To my amazement, the thread has had over 50,000 views. 8)

Kind Regards, Ray
Gardner 180

Postby Gardner 180 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:38 am

Just a last minute reminder for anyone that likes transport, lorries and buses.
The 21st Leyland Gathering is on Sunday July 7th at the British Commercial
Vehicle Museum in the town of Leyland, Lancashire. Regards, Ray.
Gardner 180

Postby filsgreen » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:00 am

Thanks for the heads up, Ray. :D
filsgreen

Postby Gardner 180 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:31 pm

I enjoyed a good day at the "Leyland Gathering" last Sunday, July 7th, I was there for
about 5 hours, and fortunately, the weather remained fine. Perhaps some Bootle Forum
people were there also. When I finally learn to post pictures on here, I will put on some
excellent pictures of vehicles from way back in time.
Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.
Gardner 180

Postby Gardner 180 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:03 pm

I have mentioned earlier that I drove for Ribble from early 1968 until early 1970, based at their Wigan depot.
Almost all of the Liverpool Ribble routes headed North, Bootle, Crosby, Ormskirk, Southport, etc., Just two
routes went Eastbound, the 317 to St Helens, and the 320 to Wigan. Both routes were joint services with
other companies, the 317 joint with St Helens Corporation, and the 320 with Lancashire United Transport,
St Helens Corporation, and Wigan Corporation. The 320 was covered by 1 bus from Ribble Wigan depot,
2 buses from Ribble Skelhorne Street depot, and 3 buses from Lancashire United Transport from their depot
at Hindley near Wigan. I am interested to hear from anyone with any further info on these 2 routes which
during my time with Ribble, used South John Street as its Liverpool terminus. I am grateful for the pictures that have
been put on this thread by "Bootle" members.

Regards, Ray Smyth.
Gardner 180

Postby henry » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:09 pm

What was the name of the pub in skelhourne bus station :?:
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
henry

Postby Bonesy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:00 pm

This is on the yoliverpool website.

It was known to locals as I 1st mentioned on here a few years ago as the Ribble Bar..
I drank there regular and remember it being called that... it was run by an Irish lad called Tommy Stack, who went to work for my sister after the bar closed in The Lorne on Brownlow Hill and The Farnworth on Kensington... Tommys mother ran The Ribble Bar before him.. I'll try and find out if Tommys son knows if it had a proper name.... my uncle drove Ribble buses from the station.. he referred to it as The Ribble Bar as well..

Keith
SO MANY PEOPLE, MY FAMILY OF FRIENDS
Bonesy

Postby henry » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:40 am

I don't remember it ever being called that Keith
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
henry

Postby Gardner 180 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Further to my earlier postings regarding Ribble buses, One of several books that I have is called " Ribble...Working Days "
by Roger Davies. There is a 12 page chapter in the book entitled " Mersey Beat " and I think it would be of interest to any
former Ribble staff, and people that used Ribble buses in your area. Perhaps your local libraries have a copy of the book.

Regards, Ray Smyth.
Gardner 180

Previous

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks