Andy Murray to retire.

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

Andy Murray to retire.

Postby Invicta » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:09 pm

Andy Murray, our best tennis player of modern times will retire this year after never fully recovering from a hip problem.
Good luck to Andy you gave us some great memories.

The point I wanted to make with this post is “ Is it really headline news” ?
BBC 1 dedicated nearly 10 minutes of their main lunchtime news to this item , it just seems to me that with all that’s going on in the World they could have found a more worthy item and slotted this in the sports section.
At least it was a break from Brexit.
Grumpy of Tunbridge Wells
Invicta

Re: Andy Murray to retire.

Postby Bonesy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:48 pm

Well then Grumpy of Tunbridge Wells i was thinking the same myself.
I switched on the new this morning at 7.55 in time to catch the BBC local news and heard the sad, sad news about the death of the beautiful Dianne Oxbury at age 51. This was followed by the national news headlines being confronted by a sobbing Andy Murray who after an illustrious carear is retiring. He will never go short of a bob or two. :roll:

To my shame I was only reading about the great Gordon West yesterday and hadn't realised he had passed away a few years ago. The article stated that after finishing at Tranmere Gordon took up a job as a security man at RAF Woodvale.
Can you imagine today's high earning sports stars having to take up a job to make ends meet.

Keith
SO MANY PEOPLE, MY FAMILY OF FRIENDS
Bonesy

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:18 am

And that's the end of Happy Larry, :lol: good on him he was the worlds number one, getting out now while he's still in front. :wink: :)
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Postby IRENE H » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:24 am

Hi Keith, Yes Gordon West wow what a great man he was, I got to know him really well. He travelled on the buses quite a lot in his later years, Yes he did work in the R A F camp at woodvale , often dropped him off there ,You know he never once complained about anythink he was struggling to walk he always said about his dodgy knee,s Always spoke well of people, & he was a bit of a joker, always happy, Always called me his favourite driver ha ha . :D :D don't make them like him anymore , All in it for the money & glory now .. Not for the club ,. love to you & Lian xxxx
Your never fully dressed without a smile
IRENE H

Postby Bonesy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:27 am

Nice story Irene, it's so good to see you posting your wit is truly missed.
We are good thanks and hope you and Peter are too.
Lots of love xx

Keith
SO MANY PEOPLE, MY FAMILY OF FRIENDS
Bonesy

Postby bjones » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:56 am

The article stated that after finishing at Tranmere Gordon took up a job as a security man at RAF Woodvale.
Can you imagine today's high earning sports stars having to take up a job to make ends meet.

Keith

Keith, that reminded me of Stuart Flinders interviewing the "man in the street" about the 66/67 Liverpool and Everton cup tie... the interviewee was Tommy Lawrence. Just another old working "man in the street"; he'd returned to factory work after his playing days.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
bjones

Postby Invicta » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:05 am

Brilliant that was Bee.
I don’t think Andy has the personality to take up broadcasting after retirement, he’s a bit dour but there again Mark Lawrenson has put us to sleep for 20 years :roll: K
Invicta

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks