The Telly

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
Mack
Site Admin

Hiya Bern,

Yep Tommy is spot on. It just gets better and better. It's one of those shows that you can easily binge-watch.

Mack
Tommy L

Slow Horses ?

What service ?
Bernie R

It's hosted on Apple TV, Tom
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Bonesy

Channel 5 at 9pm tonight is a show with Susan Calman looking at the history of Liverpool.
Beatles fan club secretary Freda Kelly was interviewed in the Denbigh Castle. She’s also covering the Williamson Tunnels and visits the Anglican Cathedral.

Keith
Bernie R

Nice one Keith. Have set that to record.
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Silver-Haired-Hippy

We watched it, worth viewing it, found out things very interesting that I never knew! :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Tommy L

KIN

BBC iPLAYER

Just finished the second series.
Worth a watch from the start if new to you.
Gang / drug wars.
[ Once you can identify the male characters who all have beards ]
Bernie R

Some not brilliant news from BBC.

2 new series of Shetland commissioned - that's ok, but the wooden Ashley Jensen returns as the lead cop. Thought she was awful in the last series.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce7 ... xsGYZYjAjI

Kin - is on my watch list.

That Susan Calman show was good, easy viewing. Need to try and see the Williamson Tunnels at some point if/when open to the public.

Watched series 5 of Fargo on Prime last week. Its style (can be quite violent) maybe not for all but I was delighted to see it return to form after a disappointing 5th series a few years back.
Last edited by Bernie R on Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mack
Site Admin

Hiya Bernie,

You mentioned earlier Slow Horses and I can definitely recommend watching this.

I nearly had a heart attack when I heard the theme tune to it... Mick Jagger...

I posted info on my Bootle thread below... Mad stuff.

https://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/v ... 90#p510390

Mack :wink:

Kin looks good and on my watch list too :)
Bernie R

Amazing Mack - incredibly similar!

Bern
Bernie R

Interesting show on BBC2 yesterday afternoon, now on iplayer. Hidden Treasures of the National Trust. Episode featured Paul McCartney's old home in Forthlin Road and E Chambre Hardman's home and studio in Rodney Street. Worth a look if you can get it.

Bern
Glenys

Anybody been watching 'Passenger' - your comments are desperately needed. I am so confused after the final episode last night. :shock:
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Bernie R

Tommy L wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:44 am KIN

BBC iPLAYER

Just finished the second series.
Worth a watch from the start if new to you.
Gang / drug wars.
[ Once you can identify the male characters who all have beards ]
Great shout Tommy.

Binged each of the 2 series over 2 nights. Thanks

Mentioned it to a friend who recommended a similar show on ITVx called Love/Hate - also about a Dublin crime family. Not seen it myself as yet though.

Bern
Bernie R

Dopesick starts tonight on BBC2.

We watched this series last year on Disney + and really enjoyed it. Definitely recommend if you've not seen it.

Bern
Bonesy

Watched Red Eye last week. Episode 2 tonight
Proper good espionage thriller.

Keith
Glenys

Yep, looking forward to watching this evening too.
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Tommy L

Bernie R wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 pm Dopesick starts tonight on BBC2.

We watched this series last year on Disney + and really enjoyed it. Definitely recommend if you've not seen it.

Bern
Ta Bernie

Enjoyed the first two episodes last night but kept thinking I had seen the subject matter before..
Then realised there is a NETFLIX series called Painkiller starring Matthew Broderick [ Biloxi Blues ].
Oxycontin scandal again with very similar plot lines.
I shall carry on though as quite enjoying Michael Keaton in his role a a doctor getting sucked in unwittingly ......................
Bernie R

Tom

A similar storyline was featured in a season of Prime's superb 'Bosch' series (based on Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books).

Opioids is a big issue over there - a recent album (Pressure Machine) by our faves, The Killers, also featured the subject.

Bern
BossHogg

Got sent a picture today of one of our well known late soap actors when he was facing justice for a heinous crime.
Bonesy

Countdown on channel 4 today, had a new challenger, a man from Manchester. The likeness to our own Bernie was striking, and his name was .......Bernard :shock:
He won btw and is the new champion.

Keith
Bernie R

Must try and get that from catch-up mate! :lol:
Bernie R

Bonesy wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:11 pm Countdown on channel 4 today, had a new challenger, a man from Manchester. The likeness to our own Bernie was striking, and his name was .......Bernard :shock:
He won btw and is the new champion.

Keith
Recorded Monday's to spot my lookalike

R A mate

He had the same colour hair - I'll give you that much! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bonesy

And his name :lol:
It's funny how maybe a smidgen of someone's looks or expressions can remind you of someone.

On our recent visit to Strawberry Fields, one of the lovely assistants kept starring at me, and when we went to pay for some T shirts, she said,
"Oh my god you are the spit of my uncle Stan, in fact so much so, i was going to say, hey uncle Stan, what are you doing here"
She went on to say, uncle Stan looks like
Tony Soprano, so we call him Tony.
She found us later to show us a photo on her phone of uncle Stan. She was dead excited. When I looked I didn't see any resemblance at all, but not wanting to disappoint her, I said "oh my, that is uncanny" .
And I dont look like Tony Soprano.

I did however get mistaken for Al Pacino at a hotel near London. 😅

Keith