Sealeaf Family

Find Bootle friends and family here
James

I am very interested in the Sealeaf family from Bootle. My mother is descended from Michael Charles Sealeaf (ca. 1834-1915) and his wife Johanna Sealeaf (ca. 1845-1896). He was from either Sweden or Norway, but a naturalised British citizen (by at least 1868) and he worked on the boats. Presumably his name was originally Sjoblad. I am yet to dig out the naturalisation papers at the National Archives. Johanna was from Ireland. Their daughter, Clara Sophia Sealeaf (1876-1950) married a William Henry Jones in 1898. Their daughter, Johanna Winifred Mary Jones (1913-1997), who was my grandmother, married Joseph Charles Lee in Bootle in 1936, and their daughter, Joan Mary Lee (who was born in London when the family moved away from Liverpool), is my mother. My mother knew about the Bootle connection and the Swedish/Finnish origins of the family, but knew no more, so I am intrigued to find out more, particularly about how they came to Bootle, and whether or not there are any old photos among your members. My mum has fond memories of her grandmother Clara Sophia Sealeaf. I notice there are still a lot of Sealeaf's centered in and around Liverpool If anyone knows anything about the family, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Jan

:D

Hi James,

Welcome to the forum.

I take it you have found the Sealeaf family on census records?

I have found them too!

I can't help much further than that other than in the 1938 Directory for Liverpool, there was a Jacob Sealeaf (occupation- Blaster) at 24 Byron Street Bootle.

Jan
James

Hello Jan

Yes, I've already found them on the 1881, 1891 and 1901 census, and have found BMD records for most of them and am awaiting a number of certificates to arrive in the post. I couldn't find them on the 1871 census however which is surprising as Charles Michael and Johanna were married in Liverpool in 1868 and they seem to have had a child in Liverpool in 1871. It was their next child who was born in Ireland and all the ones afterwards in Liverpool.

I'm interested in how they came to Liverpool, and when, and how early Charles Sealeaf (presumably Carl Sjöblad) applied for British citizenship which one of the census returns says he did. It seems the Sealeaf's have stayed in Liverpool, so there must be some still there who are connected with these ones.

Best wishes

James
Jan

:lol:

Hi James,

I tried to find them in 1871 too, the name must be very badly transcribed, do you have the birth cert of the eldest child? I am just wondering about an address.

If you have it or are waiting on it, let me know, I have all the Lancashire census records on CD's from 1841 to 1901, so I can look up addresses and see if folks are in certain places, if they can't be found on census on ancestry or other census sites if you know what I mean.

Hope TNA can help you, that would be wonderful.

Jan
red ron

Hi James, Jan. I knew and went to Balliol Road School with three Sealeaf brothers, later worked with two of them. Richard. Bert, and forget other.
There is someone on this site who lived near one of them in Cinder Lane.
Best wishes. R R
James

Dear Jan and Ron

Thanks for your helpful responses to my messages.

Jan: I am awaiting a copy of Charles Sealeaf's marriage certificate (1868) and Clara Sophia Sealeaf's birth (1876), so should have an address by the middle of next week and would like to take you up on your kind offer if I may.

With all best wishes

James
Jan

Hi James,

I see their eldest son John was born in Ireland 1873, so it is possible that they were in Ireland for the 1871 census!

Where did they marry? I can't find a marriage!

Jan
margaret willee

James i went to school with a Sealeaf,,, girl,,, she lived on fernhill road . can't remember her first name ... this was Roberts school ... in about 1953.....Sorry not much help.
have a great day .......
piparth

James- My best mate from about 1949 to 1966 and also Best man at my wedding was Bert Sealeaf. His family lived in Cedar Street Bootle and consisted of Dad-Jake,Mother Elsie, Brothers - Stan and Tommy and Sister- Jenny. Bert's uncle Davey also lived with them and he was supposed to have been a roustabout with Buffalo Bill's travelling show-his show name was Rattlesnake Charlie. Both Jake,and Davey worked for Tommy Riley of Berry Street as Plasterer and mate and it was where I first met Bert-he was an apprentice Carpenter and I was an apprentice plumber. Mary and I attended the weddings of all three lads and I was Best Man at Bert's. There is a contributor to this site-my nephew's wife,who lived next door to Stan and Jean when they got married -Glenys's user name here is Garthur-this entry will no doubt stir her up a bit so expect some more information shortly
Cheers Mate
Pete and Mary Arthur
Kadina South Australia
Peter Arthur
James

Thanks to everyone for help with this.

Jan: regarding the 1871 census, you are right, Charles and Johanna Sealeaf could have been in Ireland. As you say, their child John J Sealeaf was born there in about 1874. However their children Charles (1869) and Anthony (1871) were both born in Liverpool. Their first child was still born in 1866 in Liverpool.

I was wrong about an 1868 marriage: I thought I'd found it, but I hadn't.

With all best wishes and thanks

James
n3ttl3

Hi James

quick question about the naturalization papers - do you know where they are kept as I too have a Norwegian/Swedish g-g-grandfather (family history says Norway, marriage cert says Sweden, but have also been told that Norway was under the rule of the Swedish Royal Family until about 1850)

I did e-mail the central library but the lady there said that she didn't know where the naturalization papers were kept. I was told that imigrants wishing to stay in this country had to swear allegiance in front of a JP, couldn't vote and had to pay higher taxes! :shock:

All the best
Always a Carey, Never a Traitor!
Jan

Hi Annette,

The naturalization papers may be at the National Archives at Kew.

This might help.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

type in the advanced search Naturalization, there should be info on it in there, a bit complicated I know, but you may find what you are looking for.

Jan
n3ttl3

Hi Jan

Thanks for that tip - I did try but got no joy - tried everywhichway to put in the information of my relly - but kept coming up with 'not found' argh! However, went mad on google tonight - put ekbery in as a search word and got a WW2 Spitfire fighter pilot Ace!!!!! chocks away Ginger (I've got red hair - well had - it's going dark auburn now) :D. Now going mad trying to prove he's 'one of mine'!

Going more and more mental by the minute!

Annette :)
margaret willee

Jan wrote::lol:

Hi Annette,

The naturalization papers may be at the National Archives at Kew.

This might help.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

type in the advanced search Naturalization, there should be info on it in there, a bit complicated I know, but you may find what you are looking for.

Jan
Thanks for this tip . i have found my gran they have her as German ???she was married to a german may be they took there husbands nationality on ????
have a great day .......
Jan

That's great Margaret,

Had you been searching for long?

Annette,

What names are you looking for?

Jan
margaret willee

[quote="Jan"]:lol:

That's great Margaret,

Had you been searching for long?

Annette,

Jan[/quote ...... have also gone in trying to find my granfather Hunt , born 1897no luck them my grans fam in Wales , no luck and I have an address and date off birth , but will keep on trying .
have a great day .......
Jan

Margaret,

Send me a PM or e-mail with full names places year(s) and places of birth, including father's occupation for your Hunt's in Wales.

I will have a try for you.

Cheers......Jan
n3ttl3

Jan wrote::lol:

Annette,

Jan
Hi Jan

The gentleman in question is one John Benjamin Ekbery, son of Matthias, born 1818 in Sweden, married in Liverpool in 1851 in St Michael's, Upper Pitt Street, is shown on the 1881 census with 'N' before his name (which I have been told means Naturalized). He died in 1898 in Rhyl St Bootle.

Margaret - you are so lucky! Where am I going wrong???

Annette :)
James

Dear Jan

I've now got some certificates for the Sealeaf's with some addresses on so could I take you up on your kind offer of looking the addresses up in the 1871 census you have on disc please?

It appears that a Michael Sealiff (presumably our Charles Michael) married a Johanna Brain in Liverpool in 1862. He was living at Gore Street then, and she was living at Pitt street). His parents names are given as Michael and Clara Sealeaf from Finland. I've been looking on the IGI and although I can't find a birth record for him, I did find a birth in 1831 for a Clara Sofia Sjoblad [the Finnish form of Sealeaf] in a place called Kristinestad in Finland to parents Michel and and Clara Sjoblad. Charles Michael (who was born about 1832 according to the census) and Johanna named their first child (who died aged 10 months) Clara and their last child (who is my mother's grandmother) Clara Sophia. So I think this must be his family. Johanna's maiden name is given as Brain on the marriage certificate and her place of birth as County Wexford in Ireland. On other certificates her maiden name is given as Breen or Green. It seems there were a number of Breen's living in County Wexford in the second half of the 19th century, so I think the Brain and the Green transcription can probably put down to the mixing of Liverpool/Irish/Finnish dialects. I never knew Liverpool was so cosmopolitan at that time. Unfortunately I can't find Johanna Breen or Charles/Michael Sealeaf on the 1861 census in Liverpool or elsewhere.

The other addresses I have for them are:

1862 (mariage): (ohanna was living at Pitt Street, Michael/Charles Michael was living at Gore Street

1866 (death of first child, Clar, I can't find her birth): 119 Hopwood Street (St. Martin’s, Liverpool

1868 (birth of next child, Charles Michael Sealeaf): 4 Grayson Street (St Thomas’, Liverpool)

1876 (birth of last child, Clara Sophia): 34 Paget Street (St Martin’s, Liverpool)

It seems they moved around a bit. I obviously need to order some of the certificates for the children born between 1868 and 1876. They had a child called Anthony in Liverpool in about 1871, then another called John in 1873 in Ireland, so it is just possible that they were in Ireland at the time of the 1871 census.

With all best wishes and thanks,

James
Jan

Hi James,

On the streets that you have given me are there any numbers to go with them?

I have looked on the 1861 at Pitt Street, but it is on different folios and piece numbers. Could you give me the names of the witnesses on the marriage cert?

I will look at the other addresses later on, but if you can give house numbers if possible that would help.

Jan
Jan

Still working on this, in 1871 at 4 Grayson St was F Gorken or Jorken born Hanover, with a wife and a couple of kids.

The Sealeaf's may well have been in Ireland, it's a shame we can't get the Irish Census for then, it has been destroyed, only the 1901 and 1911 have survived.

Jan
James

Dear Jan

Thanks so much for doing this.

As far as I can see the only streets missing numbers are the ones from where they were married. I have only seen a transcription (not incredibly complete) of the marriage certificate (at http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/WE ... 1131635068), and the copy I ordered from the GRO should have been here a week ago, so I'm going to have to chase it. I will give you the house nos as soon as it comes. The witnesses at their wedding were Daniel & Johanna Welsh who were living in Gore St at the time of the wedding, but in Manchester in 1861!

Thanks again for looking.

Best wishes

James
James

Jan

The marriage certificate has turned up. Michael Sealeaf lived at 160 Pitt St and Johanna Brain at either 10 or 70 Gore Street (not sure whether it is a one or a seven in the number of the street as it is such bad writing).

With very best wishes

James
frank ballantyne grove

hi sorry i am late with this, just found the site,

my sister was married to charlie sealeaf, lived in bootle, i think it was 1957, i was away at sea, at the time, had 2 girls, 1 son, but he died very young, lived down by kirkdale, had a small shop, they divorced, i will not mention the girls names, but if u want more i can find out,
georgewiliam

I originally sent this as a pm but on second thoughts, I see no harm in sharing it with a wider audience----it may set up a new thread on the Cummins Clan
James, came across your posting looking for info on the Sealeaf Family--I have some obtuse information in that my late mother-in-law, May Cummins (nee Edwards) was orphaned early in her life--spent some time with relatives in Knutsford, where she was born but at the age of 16---by now it was about 1918--she was kicked out and was taken in by the Sealeaf Family who, I understand, were relatives. She met and married Jimmy Cummins about 1925-26 and had 6 children. I remember her telling a somewhat spooky tale of whilst with the Sealeafs, she had been invited to a party which got out of hand and she, being a quiet country girl, was absolutely terrified. There was a knock on the door with someone asking for her---she left and was pleased to do so. The caller at the door had been sent by her Aunt Sealeaf who had had a vision of her dead sister (May's Mum) who had simply said "May". Well, make what you want of that-----you may be able to confirm that the Edwards's and Sealeafs were related--I don't know but I can't believe she would have made up such a tale
Kathy John Moorcroft

Hello George Wiliam. A little message To send you a Huge Welcome, to this great Friendly Site, Got no `Info` regarding your `post` but just to say enjoy the `Forum`Friend Cheers, John
georgewiliam

Thank you for the welcome John, most heartwarming
georgewiliam

James, another story from my late mother-in-law from the time she spent with the Sealeafs. She maintained that on the firehob there resided a large cooking pot which was always on the heat and never emptied. The contents were consumed by all and sundry at any time of the day. It was the job of 'the old man' possibly Jake's father who spent much of his time cutting up vegetables, finely cubing potatoes and other root veggies and topping up with water as and when necessary. It must have resembled a virtual cornucopia
Jean

Hi George,
Enjoyed your post. I'm still in touch with Marie. Her health not the best so I try and call once a month. Look forward to future posts from you. This is a great site.

Kelly
georgewiliam

Hi Kelly---It is absolutely ages since we last made contact---good to see that you are still on board. It is sometime since I talked to Marie and yes, she is not in the best of health. Remember her sister Chrissy? She has been in the wars recently in that she has had a triple bypass but is well on the road to recovery. Glad to see that you have regular telecons with Marie, you must know the secret of getting through----most times when I have tried, that festering 'phone guard' puts the blockers on resulting in failure and a feeling of being rejected. We should open a new topic for the Cummins Clan rather than have it within the Sealeaf postings---what do you think? I opened a new topic under Staley Street which you may find of interest--all the best
Jean

Hi George,
Another great post re Staley Street. Yes, good idea to start a new thread re Cummins family - I'll leave that to you as you were closer to all family members. I'll call Marie and update you by pm.
Kelly
georgewiliam

Hi Kelly----will do under the Families Section of the Forum
georgewiliam

Hello again Peter---a thought came to mind after my posting 01/01/2007 regarding the cornucopial cooking pot----as you are aware, Scouse the well known Liverpool dish is derived from 'Labskaus' which I understand is a Norwegian (Scandinavian) stew. Could it be that old man Sealeaf was performing the necessary rites for the production of Labskaus thus reflecting his heritage-------has anyone got the recipe for Labskaus??
Eddie

If it helps,
There is a Stan Sealeaf who lives/lived in Thornton Avenue by the Walnut Tree Pub, he used to work as a bus driver on the Ribble many long years ago then went to work for Bootle Corpy in the Transport Office in Pine Grove, last I heard he was teaching up and comming would be wagon drivers for a HGV driving school firm in Kirkby.

I have had many a drinking session with Stan and his lovely wife Jean, also enjoyed a family holiday with them in Pontins many moons ago............................Still have the pictures to prove it ha ha ha ha.
johnyb

just joined site,re.garding sealeaf,my wifes maiden name is sealeaf,born in bootle,lived on stanley road when younger,father was a merchant seamen,do not know all details,but would be happy to find out.johnyb