Reads Drum Works Bootle

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
ppeppa

[Image] recognise anyone here ... another old pic of Reads Tin/Drum works Bootle[/img]
ppeppa

[Image] last one for now..... somebody must recognise somebody...less they all emigrated [/img]
JPS

ppeppa wrote:TO JPS ..... :x I hope that was yur attempt at a joke ... I appen to werk there ... not reside (thank god) ... anyway I gotta stay undercuver ... coz wen me mates find out i have postid tha video... they will kill me .. an well dun to yu if you recognised them coz thems all Wiginers.... :lol: "UNLESS" .... yu a secret woolyback :P ... the ball iz in yur cort ru gonna come cleen or wot...... :)
...i didnt mean the pic of the girls..i ment all the others who posted on the site......yea remember all them people in the pic...wow so long ago, feels like yesterday...how cum ur in wigan,
JPS

ppeppa wrote:[Image] recognise anyone here ... another old pic of Reads Tin/Drum works Bootle[/img]
...2 daves a gordon an i thk betty, thk im rong...
Eddy Lloyd

PPeppa great pics and a good sense of huomour... love it :D :wink:
rivermersey

I worked in reads from when I left school in 76 to it's close in 1986. The bloke 3rd from the left looks like Norman Eccles. I remember he lived somwhere at the top of Southport Road / breeze hill and used to ride a push bike to work.
Other names i remember...Kitty Moser, Reg Clappinson, Reg Richards, Jack Atkins and Charlie kent from the factory also Larry Feeney & Arthur Fellingham two of the lorry drivers (and 3 or 4 of arthurs sons who worked on the shop floor) more names to follow...
Born in Bootle 1960 lived on Bailey Drive then the old roan.
ppeppa

:wink: well done "rivermersey" Norman Eccles ...gosh.... and wasnt Reggie Richards a supervisor? wow you have now opened a box of worms ...my memory is coming back .... I think I had some good times in "Reads" :lol: ... what was the name of the "PUB" on the corner...... I tink I fell outa there many a time .... yipeeeeee...... good old days ... you wont remember you were only a twinkle if you were born 1960 ... more info pleeeeeeez...... must get my "CV" out see what years I wuz there .............. thanks again
ppeppa

:( ... right JPS how come am in Wigan ... well .. how long you got ...... but not sure meself now :? ..... anyway.. if yorrrr oo I tink yerrare ...... I betcha dont know I was in touch with Teresa a few years back we became mates again .... a right pair of loons ..... unfortunatley we drifted apart again thro unforseen cercumstances :cry: .... erm I think I got alzeimers ... what was the question? :roll: :lol:

later.......... :)
rivermersey

Hi Ppeppa
The pub was (and still is) The Warbreck. Reggie Richards was a manager.
A few more names I remember:
The bloke who ran the canteen shop in the late 70's named Jack he used to drive the little green shunter train.
George Mann, he worked in the personell department.
Walter Baggott, he was the stores manager during my time there.
I worked with a lady who told me her late father was a union rep in reads for many years I'll have to ask her his name and post it up here.
ppeppa

:o wow rivermersey you are a bundle of knowledge .. each time you mention a name a face comes to mind ...... you sound like you could write a book on Reads ... well done you ..... you have a great memory .... :lol: ... wait till you get to my age.... :lol: ..... your doing so well ... maybe you could find some old photees of Reads too...

thanks again ... keep up the good work :wink:
loko

hi/when i worked in reads sid edwards was the manager,
he would do a morning walk about but you knew when he
was around you could smell the cheap cigars he smoked.
know the faces on photos sorry no names,
remember the pond out back.
ppeppa

:o PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE ..... LATEST EDITION FROM LOKO .... smelly cigars ... :lol: .... and that was the big boss :shock: ... BUT ... THERE IS MORE ...... Loko tread were no man has gone before ....
THE "DUCK POND" .... YES FOLKS ... WE HEARD RUMOURS OVER THE YEARS ....... THERE WAS A DUCK POND BACK OF READS DRUM WORKS ... :o AND THERE WAS SIGHTINGS OF .... "MICRORAPTORS" (look it up if you dont know your dinosaurs) .... BUT WHAT WE WANT TO KNOW LOKO ........ IS WHAT THE BLOODYELL WUZ YOU DOING AT THE "DUCK POND"? ..what fishing ... yeh....pulll the other one Loko ... does Betty know........ :wink:

thanks for the info :P
JPS

anyone remember christmas in reids...or the warbreck....or thurs nites in reids club.....makes me drunk jus thkin bout it........ppeppa, wer did yea c teresa,how she gettin on , dont worry got plenty of time.....u on msn....
ppeppa

I remember the Warbreck and the Cuckoo pubs ... .. cant remember the pub further down from the Cuckoo .... but I can remember getting barred out of the "Black Bull" for singin too loud and it was only 7 oclock :lol: .... so we all did the conga out of the pub singin "we`re barred out" and half the pub joined the conga line and we went down to the next pub I think it was called "Windsor Castle" .. ... :roll: "happy days" ... I vaguely remember the Reads Club .... come to think of it I vaguely remember the Christmases :roll: ... I dont know about falling out of the pubs ... think I fell outta the factory too :lol: :lol: .... anyway I beeter go do my shoppin before I forget what I want .... :lol: .... not got MSN not sure what it is ....... have a nice day evrybody ... you too JPS
JPS

ppeppa do u have any contact with anyone else, who worked there same time as us....the only one,s i c r loko(Eddie) an Arthur Fell( Fellmingham) Arthur married the little one in Sid,s office, cant remember her name, he kicked her out cause she was avin it off with sum one in her wurks he married again an lives in waterloo......MSN is a site were u speak to mates,an get an answer straight away ...like the fone only in writtin...tc speak soon
rivermersey

What dates did you people work in Reads?
Does anyone remember....
Georgie Pye
Con ??? the carpenter.
Rocky the security guard.
More to follow.......
ppeppa

"rivermersey" you wud make a great "copper" or "private eye" ...... as for this list I only know Georgie Pye .. when I left Reads I went to the Birds Eye... and actually worked with GEORGIE PYES WIFE "JOSIE" pictured sitting down next to some nut dressed for the 60`s charity dance ..... well sunshine you have done so well ... d`yeh know anyone from the "Birds Eye" :lol: :lol: well its worth askin ... coz you seem to know everyone else :wink:

keep up the good work ......
I bet you got a dossier on everyone in your street :lol: :lol:

[Image][/img]
Jayne Seymour

My grandad worked for Reeds in the 70's after the English Elec closed down. His name was Leo Seymour and he worked in the stores.
JULIA ARROWSMITH

What a group of stunners :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
julia arrowsmith
JPS

hi river, i worked there rd about the time everton wer win cups, i no cause i went to wembley, that how long ago....u gunna tell us ur name....i no all the ppl u talked about...the only one u havnt talked about is me...wot yrs wer u thre.....u on any of the foto,s posted.... :shock:
rivermersey

Clue to who I am....I was (and I still am) a twin, both my twin brother and I worked there from 76 to it's demise in 86.
I remembered other names from reads, Gerry Warner and Larry (Scottish)Feeney a couple of the Reads drivers
ppeppa

rivermersey ... I worked at reads from 1963 to 1970 .... so we never crossed paths ... but your info has been great... and I have 2 names you may be able to help me with ... If you know anyone that knows Teresa Welsh originally from Kirkby and worked in the Keg and Drum please let me know ...and does anyone know the whereabouts of Kevin Barry he also worked in the Keg and Drum .... thanks again rivermersey
henry

I worked in the open-top on the Buzzies till it closed down
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
rivermersey

PPeppa your not looking for your money back on them socks you bought off him are you :) I Last saw Kevin Barry about 6 years ago on County Road...I think he was still chasing people up for money. :D
Any one remember Alan Fox line 5, Steve Smith the Hooper and one of the Electricians who's nick name was "Eddie the Arab" :)
ppeppa

:lol: thanks again river .... I remember Kevin Barry had a language all of his own :roll: .... you had to figure out the words between the swear words to get any sort of conversation .... he even sang that way ....... and that was a feat all of its own ...... did you ever hear him sing "you take the effin high road and I`ll take the effin low road.... and I`ll be in effin Scotland before you ......... :shock: ... I will pass the info about him on to the enquirer ..... anyway 6 years ago...... he should be in Scotland by now :lol:
JPS

mack ..need help, i clicked on ur link to photobucket, but wen i put my details in ,i receive this......There was an error with your submission
We're sorry. Based on the information you have submitted to us, you are ineligible to register on Photobucket.....any reason for tht..i have also tried diff usernames an passwords.....cheers m8
rivermersey

Sadly this is all that's left of Reads :(
You could call it the last post :?
It's a small section of railings still in it's original green colour. This would have been the right hand side of the Orrell Lane entrance that led to Orrell House, the main offices for Reads and to the "Terrapin" a temporary prefabricated structure I believe this housed the admin staff for many years.
ppeppa

Why thank you rivermersey ... :( I was so sad to see the final remains of "Reads" I didnt know wether to plant a tree or light a candle ....... till I saw the weeds ... I think I will just light a candle instead .... looks like too much work clearing whats left to plant a tree ........ am amazed not to see more pictures of Reads posted as the hits have been many .... still time I suppose.... it has been very interesting so far anyway ..... thanks again :)
JPS

i got foto,s of some of our nites out in reads club....cant post them for security reasons...lol....i no a few of the husbands.... 8)
ppeppa

are you serious :? .... when did Reads close down ?.... ... so them husbands must be 100 at least :shock: or passed on poor things . :roll: .. ... come to think of it "methusella" how old are you? ...... gorra feeling am gonna regret this.......such is life :D
JPS

well ppeppa, i.ll be 34 nex b/day....i wish.... :lol:
ppeppa

JPS wrote:well ppeppa, i.ll be 34 nex b/day....i wish.... :lol:
por thing :( and ers me wishin I wuz older :roll: ..... and treetid like I wuz all growd up :oops: .. but such iz life :P ..i`ll just av t wait ..lol :D ... say lah vee :wink:
ppeppa

does anyone know the whereabouts of Teresa Welsh once worked in keg and drum at Reads Drum works? see photo [img][img]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr54 ... swelsh.jpg[/img][/img]
Last edited by ppeppa on Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ppeppa

does anyone "know" Mary Murray ... worked in Reads drumworks? see photo .... [img][img]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr54/ppeppa/mm.jpg[/img][/img]
ppeppa

does anyone recognise May Connolly (see picture) lived in Bootle ... worked in Reads Drumworks [img][img]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr54/ppeppa/may2.jpg[/img][/img]