Bootle Grammar in Netherton

Find Bootle friends and family here
matt wethered

I bet you were one of the jokers that ran round the back so as you got your picture taken at the left and the right Eddy on those panorama camera's
Matt
Eddy Lloyd

Matt :D I was one of the little guys sat in the front. :D
whacker66

You must have been sitting close to me eddy :)
Peter
Eddy Lloyd

Will dig it out Whacker and see what I can do
ken

A few more teachers - Learmonth who was PE and had such a strong accent no-one could understand him. He lasted one or two years I think. Austin was another English teacher. Drove a sports car, threw board dusters at people and was killed in a car crash 1953/4? Another English teacher who was actually good was Nicholls, only stayed 2/3 years. Yet another was Buckle - middle aged, stuffy and contemptuous.

Ken
Roberts, Allison are the Bootle names I'm interested in.

Thorp(e), Ballard, Parry, Lucas, Dodd, Jacobson, are Liverpool ancestors.
georgewiliam

School Year 1950'51-------Form 2 Alpha
[img][img]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg29 ... olplus.jpg[/img][/img]

Top: ? Wyman, Brian Parkes, Hall Twin, Pete Storer, Hall Twin, Rollo Clarke, Arthur Oxford, Alan Shaw
Middle stood: Harry Miller, Harry Ledgerton, George Fletcher, Brian Davies, ???, Ralph Warburton, Colin Hughes, ?Magee?, Wilf Corrigan
Middle seated: Keith Fleming, Roger Mathias, Tommy Lyon, ????, Mr Bell, Alan Tritton, Johnny Sumner, Eric Carney, Walter Midgley??
Front: Eric Olsen, Don Pardoe, ? Pollit, John Bagshaw?
Where are they now? Can anyone please fill in the ???s and/or confirm names
daveowe

Hi George

The ones I am familiar with former Linacre school boys also in the 55th BB with them.
The twins were called Harkness, David and Peter, they both played violins! at the morning assembly they were the school darlings. I see Eric Olsen on a regular basis he started work life with Customs & Excise, then becoming a buyer for Littlewoods until retirement . You will be pleased to know Wilf Corrigan, after university, went to the USA achieved success in the electronics industry he became CEO at the Fairchild Corp, saved the company. Now resides in Silicon Valley, California, involved in the micro chip industry, co-founder of LSI logic (company worth £2.1 billion!). In the Sunday Times rich list last year he was placed 450th his personal fortune estimated at £158m. (he never returns my letters)

Will pass the pic onto Eric.

Dave
matt wethered

Did'nt Arthur Oxford go on to become school captain?I seem to know the face.You were a couple of years ahead of me.I was in remove alpha in 1952-3.Would love to be able to help you with the names.Have you ever tried posting that photo on the Old Bootleans?
Matt
ken

Not sure but the one you have down as Eric Carney just might be Colin Newton who was a big mate of Eric Olsen. But it was a long time ago...

Ken
Roberts, Allison are the Bootle names I'm interested in.

Thorp(e), Ballard, Parry, Lucas, Dodd, Jacobson, are Liverpool ancestors.
georgewiliam

Dave-----give my regards to Eric, we were close buddies at school and after we met up at a reunion, I gave him a copy of the photo. Wilf Corrigan's career is fairly well known to me virtue of news from Rollo Clarke who has been his guest in the States and others at a number of reunions,
Matt------Arthur did become school captain and I believe went on to Cambridge. He and Roger Mathias jumped a class going from 2 to 4 Alpha; Roger, I understand, went on to Oxford.
Ken-----quite right, it is Colin Newton---many thanks
matt wethered

Last time I saw Arthur I was in the Navy, home on leave and thought the best place to pull some femine company would be the fair ground in Southport,so I put on my tiddly suit went there and the first person I saw was Arthur working one of the side shows.It was his summer job while on reading break from university.
He did what my good friend Harry Fung did but he went from remove alpha to 2 alpha to four alpha.He made up the first full year of latin then did it all again.His dad was the man that owned Fung's laundry on Hawthorne road.Two years later his young brother Walter did just about the same thing
Matt
georgewiliam

Matt, you mention meeting a school acquaintance totally out of context----I had a similar experience. After faffing about in the RAF for five years which include service in Singapore and Malaya, I got a job with the 'Auto' in Cheapside. Coming home on the bus one day, to my great surprise, the conductor turned to be Tommy Lyon who declared that he had gone on to university and gained a BA which was of use only for teaching children. He gave it a whizz to find that he did not like kids hence "fares please". I understand that he eventually found his forte.
You mention Harry Fung, I remember David and Norman. Norman got me interested in going to an old boy's reunion when we were engaged in a project which brought us together-----he from the Liverpool Factory and I was from the Tolworth Unit in the suburbs of London-----this was about 1976.
I had left school in 1954 and was not ready for the 'damage' done to my old mates in the intervening 22 years insofar as they were all fresh-faced youngsters when I had last seen them. So much so, I did not attend another function for quite a few years.
However, Norman and I have kept in touch throughout which in later years has been little more than an exchange of "Kang he fat choy" at the Chinese new year.
One year I had called Norman over the company tied-telephone line to wish him all the best etc, we chatted for a while and that was that. After a minute or two, my phone rang---it was Norman calling me back to say that the chap on the next desk had asked him what was that all about. Norman explained that "Kang he fat choy" meant 'happy new year'. The guy wanted to know how he (Norman) spoke chinese; Norman's swift reply was that he couldn't and that he had been taught it by an ex-air force chap who had spent time in the far east.
To my mind, this is a fine example of what being a Liverpudlian is all about-----quick wit, good humour and a certain blindness to ethnicity.
yozzer

my names john(yozzer)hughes, i was at bootle grammer from 66 to 68 when they threw me out !! luler tought me absolute nothing in 2 years.i reckon mr wilde was a bit of a pervert, always watching us naked in the showers.jack, the woodwork teacher was very good to me. i outfoxed harry flood when i always put a scarf round my arse when i knew i was going to get it!!!
Linda T

Yozzer:
Well they certainly didn't teach you how to spell.
I went to the girls' school and we spelled it Grammar.
Linda
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Alan M

Linda T wrote:Yozzer:
Well they certainly didn't teach you how to spell.
I went to the girls' school and we spelled it Grammar.
Linda
Wind yer neck and leave John alone,you pedant :evil: He's already said that they threw him out after 2 years.Never mind John, I dont think Luler taught antbody in all his life
The best thing about being over the hill is that now I can have some fun and free-wheel down the other side. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL.
Linda T

Alan:
I find it interesting that you responded to my message by calling me a pedant and telling me to wind my neck in.
I do know what pedant means and I take it as a compliment. I would not have the job that I do have if I did not have a pedantic nature.
The expression "wind your neck in" is not familiar to me, but I presume that it is not very nice. By the way, you ended that sentence with a preposition. That is something that I think your teachers at the Grammar would not like.
I also find it interesting that you never responded to those who ridiculed Danny Lewis' spelling (i.e. Eddy Lloyd, nkotb and Tipster). What happened Alan, are they all men and I am a woman - easier to take on no doubt.
By the way, the word antbody in your email is presumably a typo and not a spelling mistake.
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
marcos_cu

I think we are all friends here. None of us want to see flame wars breaking out.
Why don't we call this thread closed...
Formerly Assissian Crescent, Netherton - Bootle Grammar 1968-72

http://wip330.110mb.com/
http://www.withnellmill.co.uk/
Alan M

Its a spelling mistake if you noticed it
The best thing about being over the hill is that now I can have some fun and free-wheel down the other side. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL.
Pamsy

Alan M wrote:Its a spelling mistake if you noticed it
Hi Alan....I am not one for worrying over spelling mistakes on posts as most times we miss a key here and there...who really cares...as long as you can understand the post that is all that matters....we are not AT SCHOOL HERE as some get so upset over pronunciation and grammer...I excelled in grammer at school but when on posts I type so fast I leave out or shorten a sentence here and there....LOL there is too much stress in our every day life to worry over grammer in a an email post....LOL
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
Alan M

Hi Pamsy, I fuly agree with you that we are not at skule here, thats why I repied to the person who noted yozzer had a spelling mistake, but never even mentioned that he swore!!! :roll: :roll:
Take care
Alan
Ron King

I am also an ex grammar school victim. and remember many of the teachers named.
I just want to check the name of the chemistry teacher. I seem to recall it was Warbuton not Wattlewoth. We used to call him Wabbs or Wabby.
Maybe I'm getting old.
Ron
Alan M

Hi Ron,
You are correct with Warburton as the teacher, but we had him for Physics and he used to lurk in Room 19.Maybe they had multi tasking teachers in the 60's as well :lol: I seem to remember he had a walking stick in some sort of cudgel shape!!!!
Take care
Alan
robinroyle

Alan And Ron,

You are both right. There was a Warburton, known as Wabbs, who used a walking stick and had white hair, and also a Wattleworth, known as Wally who took chemistry.
Luler, referred to earlier was a maths teacher, Mr. New who regularly (or legularly), used to shout at me "all light, Loyle, settle down!" I remember when we had double maths he used to send us out for a walk round the playing field mid-lesson, never sure if it was for his benefit or ours.
I also remember various others of the vicious swines that used to teach us - Morley the English teacher and Les Jones the diminutive maths master. Kenny Wilde was mentioned earlier.
And the headmaster Vinny Hayes, the only time we saw him other than at assembly was when he was playing golf on the playing field.
There were some that were OK - Stumpy Fisher and Sid Melvin(Geography), Waterworth (English), Fred Lowe (Maths and our footy 'manager'), Phil Jones (Physics).
Happy days.
marcos_cu

Here is a picture of Bootle Grammar dating about 1964 from a book I recently bought and am in the process of scanning in.

Eddy Lloyd

Linda it would have been nice if you had posted about my unreserved apology to Danny after my thoughtless remarks about his spelling, so please don't mention my name in a post without the full picture thank you.
reginalddb

Interested to read all the old Bootle Boys memories of the old school,although I didnt attend Bootle Grammer from my memory I believe the school when in Balliol Road was next door to the then Bootle Technical College,my memory seems to be of Balliol baths,Bootle Tech then Bootle Grammer I was at Bootle Tech 1948 - 1950 I remember Bootle Boys Football team came from the Grammer we had Ronny Moran who was one year ahead of me.Wasnt the Girls School down by Southport Road

reginalddb 8)
BOBHAMO

like the photo marcus :lol: :lol: is there any more hi reginaddb , was it here you attended , bobhamoImage
marcos_cu

Sorry, BOBHAMO, no more pix of the Grammar. The pic comes from a 100 page guide to Bootle produced by Bootle Council in 1964. I am in the process of scanning it in with a view to posting it in its' entirety in due course.

I am having a few Windows 7/Scanner issues which I need to sort out first.

In the book there are some pix of the Bolam, libraries and a few other places of interest. I may post the more interesting photos separately so they can be available in a higher resolution than is possible within a pdf scan.

Leave it with me...

BOBHAMO

thanks marcus its harder to get items on ebay there are so many bootle bucks buying stuff , there was a cracker 1960 street directory gores , but it went to a good home , to dear for me , but one of are posters bought it , like to see any bootle interest , photos , thanks bobhamo
marcos_cu

You're right. of course, and it's a nuisance if we are all bidding against each other for items. I am not particularly interested in the books themselves as artifacts. I am interested in the information they contain. To that end I do intend to try and scan and make available online any Bootle related out of copyright books and publications I get hold of.

DonDeeg

Great Avatar there Bobhamo...I loved Tommy Cooper.
Born and bred in Lunt Rd.
Went to St George of England school.
peewak

As with the legendary Piranha Brothers,of Monty Python fame,most of the "teachers," I recall, were cruel,but fair.
Have just happened upon this link and it revived many happy ,and some fraught,memories.I was there from 66 to 71 and then,for further punishment,I was in the 6th. form until 73.
The most influential teacher and,indeed,mentor,for me,was Tony Hart,who taught Eng.Lit - he actually treated us as thinking people(big mistake!) allowing us to come to our own decisions re- interpretation of the classics,and the not so classic tomes.
He also shared our love of blues and would "confiscate,"overnight,any interesting LP's we had with us.
The following day,in Eng Lang,we would be set an essay on "Eric Clapton's vibrato effect is a direct copy of B.B.King - Discuss" = no wonder we thought he was great!
Gerry Corner was,indeed,a gent,who,bless him,would quickly fall asleep if naughty pupils had closed all of the windows prior to him entering the room! - apparantly,he had been gassed in the Great War,and wounded,and we,of course,made the most of this - a nice guy,tho
As regards Piggy Porter,the less said the better - given that he "taught" R.I. he probably is responsible for the increase of fundamentalism and atheism on his own.He was the most un-christian of men.
I must share a Kenny Wilde story for I was responsible for knockinghim out with a glancing headbutt whilst defending a corner! By accident,of course! As I was half-decent at footy,we used to get on ok(I avoided woodwork) ie. he tolerated me but,even so, the following "games" period,I received his studs down the back of my achilles,just in case it wasn't an accident!
His partner in crime was Les Jones who was a good laugh but lethal with the board duster!
Does anyone remember Harry Floods' habit of carrying huge tomes ,by A.J.P.Talyor,under his arm,only to place them on the desk,sit on them,and start opining on Bismarck and the like? I really respected Harry,even though I was on the wrong end of his "stick" a few times.
Another world,my friends,another world!
bluephil54

I attended.....and that's basically all I did do.....the Grammar after passing the 11+ whilst at Netherton Moss,started there in 1966 I think ? Nice to hear from Rob Royle again on here.....who knocked around then with Dave Kershaw,Alan Reeves,Steve Anson and many more great lads who I aint seen for many years. I lived in St,Aidans Way.........Andy Gibbs who I think has left a message on here,used to be best mates with Alan Pendleton,and Yozzer.......we used to knock about around the area of the Walnut pub together...I think ? With Neil Griffiths who lived on Bailey Drive. Names I recall through playing for the various school football teams each year .....Steve Mann,Frankie Goodwin,Eric Lawson,Andy Wilson,Graham Egerton,Kenny Jones,Steve Morgan etc. I played with Peter Pattenden (Peewak),Peter Hollis.
I can recall Teachers such as Kenny Wilde,Mr Pope who used to make his pump "whistle"on the floor to let us know he was approaching as we lined up outside the Gym....and Wildey would punch anyone in the ribs who was out of line. Wilkinson taught French in Room 6,Horseley was our Music Teacher,Jones Physics and Jones Maths....remember Stan Hall,and Morley. Anyone remember Miss Bowe (Fanny) she taught French for a while?Forster taught Geography I think. I used to knock around with Keith Fletcher who lived on the Sefton Estate,John James (Jesse),who lived in Bootle....his brothers Paul and Phil James also went to the Grammar,and Kenny Hounslea who lived on Swifts Lane....you should know all these Names Robin Royle ! I left without taking any Exams and totally wasted all the faith my Mum & Dad put in me....and I do regret it in hindsight !
My name by the way.............Phil O'Grady. Great memories eh,Take Care & Be Good folks.
Born St.Christophers Ave,Ford,then St Aidans Way Netherton/Netherton Moss Primary/Bootle Grammar School 1965
marcos_cu

Who can forget Fanny Bowe. I was not the only one to find that I had dropped a pencil on the floor in front of her desk and in retrieving it being afforded the chance to ogle her legs beneath her desk. Well, she was young and mini skirts were in fashion. Sadly, I seem to recall she was only there for a couple of terms!

SANDRA NACINOVICH

matt wethered wrote:Hi Ken,what is your surname?I feel I should know you as I was at the grammar from 52 -58 and also played hockey against the girls grammar.It was always the first fifteen rugby team versus the girls field hockey team and we always got more injuries in that one game than we got the whole year playing rugby.I was in the same class as Gwillam Griffith,Keith Oswald George Atkinson(koga)Chris Dodson,Harry Fung and my best mate Tommy Kerr.Was'nt Flood the latin teacher?
Matt
Hi Matt,My name is Sandra Nacinovich(nee Nelson) Ask Tommy does he remember me that's of course you are still in touch after all these years!!! I went to the Girls Grammar Bootle.Married Merrick also Bootle Grammar we moved to Sydney 1964 and still here.
I was a girl friend of his for a short while .He joined the Navy I suppose after that he had a girl in every port !!!