st james school

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
dj

hi to you all

does anyone remember st james school?or have a photo of it?that would be great.

also looking for photos of holywell st,rhyl st
any help would be really apprciated
dj
theaky

My mum used to go there. Margaret Cooney (Southy Street) When i was younger she used to tell me about her times tables lesson. She also used to have Tom O'Conner as a teacher.
henry

TOM OCONNOR WASNT A TEACHER IN ST.JAMES HE TAUGHT IN ST.JOAN OF ARCS
marie

Henry. Tom O'Connor taught in St. James
before St. Joans.
I was in his class in St. James.
henry

marie WELL SHUSH MY MOUTH sorry for the doubt
pctdetec

would that be the same Tom O,Connor who rang the church bells in St.James his son was Tom O,Connor the comedien?
henry

topcdec My dad PATRICK MULLEN also rang the bells and went around with the plate at 9 OCLOCK MASS.
pctdetec

never made it to 9 o clock mass so I only remember Tom O connor he did the Eleven o clock I think Father Kennedy was the parish priest he had two of the ugliest dogs I have ever seen
Kathy John Moorcroft

pctdetec wrote:never made it to 9 o clock mass so I only remember Tom O connor he did the Eleven o clock I think Father Kennedy was the parish priest he had two of the ugliest dogs I have ever seen
Yeah mate! I can remember father Kennedy and Father O`Sullivan, those dogs were `Boxers` they sometimes used to get loose in `Chestnut Grove`the fattest ugliest one (Dog that is) was called `Bobby`(forget the other ones name),(their gob`s always looked as if they had been chasing parked-cars, can remember we could `have a good laugh with the priests though, when it snowed in winter they`d pelt us with snowballs from the churchyard,over the railings of our playground , almost opposite,and we would return the favour, with interest. John
annie

st james had the beautiful statue of our lady in the grounds and we used to walk around it in the may procession singing oh mary we crown thee with blossoms today after walking through the streets of the parish.does anyone remember the lovely monseignor obrien. it was an honour to have a monseignor as our parish priest.as everyone else only had a father
the top of audely street

i remember tom oconner bringing in the good behaviour scheme ,red ,yellew , blue ,green houses i think it was and the idea i think was your colour gained a sticky star for a chart that showed which "crowd" was best behaved.
he later took on some of the kids for guitar lessons ect.
the langton dock goods yard
CathieB

I remember St James' School, my late mum (Kitty Edwards, married name Murphy) and my dad, (Philip Murphy) both went there. They were born in 1934-ish. They moved later to Bootle, near St George of England's School.

I'd love to see a photo of the school. I have one of the church (where they were married) but I've not seen one of the school.
Cathie Black (nee Murphy), formerly of Menai Road, Bootle, now in North Carolina, USA

www.fredcat.net
maisie & alec

:lol:
Hello to all who went to St Jimmies . I started in the infants in Sister Marie's then the jnrs. I was gutted as we moved to new Derby rd estate and had to go to St winnefrides, I went back to St James snrs. Tom O'Connor was one of our teachers and he used to get the teams of blue/red/yellow/green in the hall on the last day of the summer term after the winning team got their plaque and play his guitar and have a good old sing song with all the kids, they were great times
sheelagh youssef

Welcome Maisie and Alec,, there is quite a few of us Bootle Bucks on the forum who went to St.James. When you find the time to read all the posts I,m sure you will recognise a lot of old friends. Best wishes...Sheelagh.
the top of audely street

henry wrote:TOM OCONNOR WASNT A TEACHER IN ST.JAMES HE TAUGHT IN ST.JOAN OF ARCS
tom o,conner DID teach in st james.
if i am right he caught us bang to rights coming back from the coal yard railway after we had climbed over for the ball.
the langton dock goods yard
Ron King

Sometime in the long ago (at least a year) I published a class photo of St James with my wife in it. (She wasn't my wife then!!) I have had a quick look through but can't spot it. If any one knows how to search these pages it might come to light.
Ron
mc

after reading about st james and tom oconnor i can remember him introducing the colour system the team that won the weekly banner where allowed to leave school half an hour early on the friday i also remember the sing songs in the school hall big iron on his hip being my particular favorite as i see it tom brought the school out of victorian times and made it fun for us kids to even go to school . as far as i know toms dads name was paddy he did collect with the plate at 11oclock mass. i always remember my dad saying paddy must do well off that plate he;s always first through the door of the solly pub 12oclock after mass adding he couldnt afford to do that even if he;d worked the golden nougat shift that week on the dock
mozzele

My Mother mary molloy (wells) went to st james
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie

mozzele wrote:My Mother mary molloy (wells) went to st james

Did your mum live in Kilburn Street

Eddie W.
sal

Hello eveyone.
My Mother born 1910 went to st James school she told me many tales about Sister Gertrude and another teacher who didn't like my Mums surname Carey. Each time she marked her exersise book she would fling it over her shoulder shouting Carey the informer. Mum never really new who the informer was she was referring to.
Sheelagh Tequila

Hiya Sal and welcome,
I too went to St.James 1962/1964 sounds like the nastiness of some of the teachers never changed. Hope it has these day.

Sheelagh
daveowe

I felt curious to know about 'Carey the informer' interesting story, what an embittered soul the teacher must have been.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Carey
Sheelagh Tequila

An Interesting story Dave.

Sheelagh
Charlie35

Theaky i have sent you a p.m
Charlie35
sal

Many thanks Daveowe for the information on Carey The Informer. How strange, my Mums name was Frances just like the Informers Father.
Maybe i can lay that ghost to rest at long last, he certainly haunted my Mum all those years
jones35

me mum went there lily riley an marion riley
stevom_2009

jones35 -alan, wouldn;t happen to be your dad by any chance if so your uncle kenny was one of my best mates when the family lived in vermont street.if so seen your dad several times recently on knowsley road.steve morgan.
friend.of.many.enemy.of.non
john james ingham

steven was kennys dad a labour councillor. if he was i knew kenny well. john.
stevom_2009

yes john one of the most principled men you could wish to meet. resigned as a justice of the peace over the poll tax, saying he could not pass sentence on his fellow citizens on a law he deemed as wrong and unjust. i think he also served as lord mayor for a time.steve.
friend.of.many.enemy.of.non
john james ingham

i think kenny was a dead ringer 4 is dad. black curly hair.
bernie johno

henry wrote:TOM OCONNOR WASNT A TEACHER IN ST.JAMES HE TAUGHT IN ST.JOAN OF ARCS
hi henry further to other comments ,tom oconnor was a teacher at st jamse's .does any one remember sister iggy she was the nun, head mistress. also there in my time was miss marie, miss slattery i think she lived in scott st, also mr o rourke, he later became the headmaster.iwas there in the 60s .
smoked out

Used to go down to the bottom of chesnut grove to carry miss slattery,s bags for her , probably with marty couglan , must have been some reward for it but it shows at one time i was trying to be a good kid , sister ignatious put a stop to that being a good kid though and mrs keely was another who sticks in the memory , one wrong thing and that was it with her ,you were just finished with engines.
donegaldan

Like yourself smoked, i had my fair share of grief at the jimmies,we were in miss marries class at the time,we were sent to miss keeley,s for music, all of us were messing about( do you remember; do ya ken john peel with his ba**s of steel etc) she went mental and said to me, don,t you be so insolent,now that wasn,t a word heard much around marsh lane when i was 11, sent into the corridor, when the poison dwarf herself sister iggy, she gabbed my sideburns pulled them,so i did what first come into my head, pushed onto the floor and told her where to go,for once in the horrible bitches life she didn,t know what to do, i went back to class where miss marry (the dyke) just pulled my desk from in front of me, and whacked me right across my legs, i was in short kecks, when my old fella seen it he went ballistic, took the morning off work and went to the school and just marched into the class and told her if she ever done anything like that to any of his kids(16 of us) he would rip her head off, next tom o connor and mr o rourke came in and tried to drag him out of the class,he just threw them back into the corridor,clipped me round the ear and went back to work, that was the end of the physcos just constantly picking on us and caning us for virtually no reason
:lol: :lol:
too old to die young
elmajo

Hi

I went to St James from 1960 to 1965. It was an all girls school
while I was there, because all the lads were sent to St. Joans and
all the girls went to St. James. Sister Bernadine was the head.
I remember the 2 boxers, they used to roam the school corridors.
I was terrified of them, especially when I had been sent out of class
to stand in the corridor. The 2 Miss Lanagans were teaching then
and Miss Gill, and Miss Boardman.