Reads Drum Works Bootle

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
ppeppa

do you know anyone in this old photo of Reads Tin Works? I know there is A Robbie, and Brian, Joe and Mary. Cant remember others names (sorry) was never good with faces and names[/img]
BOBHAMO

ed
Last edited by BOBHAMO on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ppeppa

BOBHAMO wrote:welcome ppeppa .great photo , think my mum worked there in the sixtys ,are you a bootle buck ??? , bobhamo
thanks for the reply bob ..... I dont even know if Reads is still standing ... I left 38 years ago ... so am not a spring chicken now ... by the way what was your mums name ... even tho I might not remember
loko

hi/ppeppa i know joe smith.can,t place the other faces.i worked in reads
(keg +drum)in the 60s.met my wife there,all her family worked there
their name was reid,brothers jimmy,tommy and dad jimmy,betty my wife.
ppeppa

loko wrote:hi/ppeppa i know joe smith.can,t place the other faces.i worked in reads
(keg +drum)in the 60s.met my wife there,all her family worked there
their name was reid,brothers jimmy,tommy and dad jimmy,betty my wife.

Thanks for your answer loko.... :oops: cant remember you ... know all the Reids tho .. and Joe ... I went to Tommies (then) engagement ...to my best friend Teresa Welsh ... I worked at top of oven ... the "Nut" now do you remember me... :wink: ... hope everyone is well ... how they all doin .... jeeeez musta been a centurary ago :lol: Jimmy used to tease the life outta me just to make me blush :oops: and he did ... good ole days ............
BOBHAMO

mnb
Last edited by BOBHAMO on Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ppeppa

BOBHAMO wrote:HI PPEPPA MY MUM MARIE HAMILTON WORKED THERE BUT DONT KNOW FOR HOW LONG , THINK SHE USED TO DO SOLDERING , ON TINS ?? HI LOKO , IS IT JOE SMITH FROM SEAFORTH , LITHERLAND , NOT A BAD FOOTBALLER , ??BOBHAMO
Hiya! Bob... sorry dont remember A Marie Hamilton .... and as for Joe Smith being a good footballer are you talkin now or then :lol: ... surely not the same Joe Smith ... if you mean now :wink: methusella :P dont tell im I said that ... anyway thanks again ... for the reply take care now ...
loko

hi/ppeppa sorry dont remember you,i was a setter on line 6 working
with bobby redfern.sad to say but tommy reid passed away 5 years
ago.(loko).
ppeppa

loko wrote:hi/ppeppa sorry dont remember you,i was a setter on line 6 working
with bobby redfern.sad to say but tommy reid passed away 5 years
ago.(loko).
thanks for coming back with more info Loko.. sorry very sorry to hear about Tommy .... they were really good times ........ Georgie Jones was setter on line 6 in my time ... followed by Gerard Joyce .. my ex....... so you musta joined Reads after I left .... I was there from 1963 to 1970. Is Reads still standing? ... I heard it closed down.
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
loko

hi/peter no must be another Jimmy Reid.
ppeppa;reads was pulled down years ago,houses build there now
I worked there 1961 to1965,georgie Jones took over from me after
he helped get me the sack;but thats another story.(LOKO)
ppeppa

loko wrote:hi/peter no must be another Jimmy Reid.
ppeppa;reads was pulled down years ago,houses build there now
I worked there 1961 to1965,georgie Jones took over from me after
he helped get me the sack;but thats another story.(LOKO)
O dear! so it wasnt all fun for you working at Reads.... but maybe he done you a favour anyway .... and you ended up with a better job .... I mean the only way was up from there .... and come to think of it ..... we must have crossed paths .... somewhere in there over the years 63/65 .... I dont remember a dull day working there ... problem was the money was crap .... well thanks again for the info
smhel6

hi to all ex readers,i worked there in 69 on biscuit tins,and i had an accident and lost a bit of my finger,and i was pregnant at the time,i was known as helen bebbington then
Eddy Lloyd

Health and Safety now days would not allow you to work on biscuit tins Helen no wonder you fell. :D :D :D
marielou

2 of my brothers and a sister-in-law worked in Reads, Chris and Tony Williams, sister-in-law Marion Hughes worked in the office.

My Brothers worked their till it closed down 1986-87.

Marielou
We lose dignity if we tolerate the intolerable.
Margy

I started working in Reads in Sept 70 and was there until it closed in the 80's. My dad worked on line 4&6 and line 5. Sisters Sue and Ruth also worked there. If anyone remembers me get in touch.
Mack
Site Admin

Dave Could you ask MACK to put this photo on the site for me. It was taken about 1962-3 at Reads Tin Works, I am the one with the Red beard, I was there for 12 months I do not remember the other names.

Norman Evans

JPS

Hi u lot from Reads, any chance u puttin ur real names on site ,so we can c if we no anyone... ppeppa,loko smhel6....thnx
Margy wot is ur dads name...
silverfox3448

the small guy with glasses looks familiar, i think his name is mick and married my mates sister (nee fryer) lived in chelsea rd.
mneary
loko

JPS, did you work in reads tinny,if so what department and year.
what does JPS stand for,(LOKO)
JPS

Hi LOKO,
yea i wurked thr round bout 65,66,67, in the keg an drum,...wot LOKO stand for i asked first...lol....was a gd m8 of poor tommy reid, an tressa walsh...an arthur fell...
JPS

sorry teresa,s name was welsh....
JPS

wot dus ppeppa stand for ...only ex tht gerard joyce cud of had was Millie...im i rite....
loko

hi/ jps i had left reads before you started,if you were a mate of tommy
reids you should know me.we later worked together on the buses for
many years ,don,t know arthur fell,remember a arthur fleming

L.O.K.O.
JPS

u mus b Eddie thn, if ur married to Betty.....yea...was talkin to Betty few weeks ago......arthur flemings name was (well still is i) c him reg, arthur fellmingham, he lives in seaforth...still c him on his bike...... :lol:
JPS

were ppeppa gone probly havnt paid the internet, do u no who it is loko.. :?
JPS

Margy wrote:I started working in Reads in Sept 70 and was there until it closed in the 80's. My dad worked on line 4&6 and line 5. Sisters Sue and Ruth also worked there. If anyone remembers me get in touch.
Margy wot is ur dads name an wen did he wurk thre
smhel6

HI JPS ,MY NAME WHEN I WORKED WAS HELEN BEBBINGTON AND I WORKED ON BISCUIT TINS,AND LOST A BIT OF MY FINGER ON THE FLANGE
JPS

Hi Helen wot yr was tht i remem sum one gettin thre hand trapped ,on tht line, :shock:
JPS

soz jus seen the yr on nother post...i left b4 u started Helen, it musta been bit of a dangerous line to wurk on....yea :cry:
ppeppa

to "JPS" .. first off it wuznt me called you "Methusella" :P ... I cant spell it... :o ... second you cant be oo I think yerrare coz e never ad a senssa uma :lol: .... and as far as a sex change .. go to photobucket and see ppeppa`s pics .... I tried to put piece of video on here without success. c if u c me in practice for xmas show 2007 ... tarra :) ppeppa over and out
ppeppa

[Image][/img] ... JPS ..try this .... dont know if this will be ok but somewhere on this clip is ppeppa reheasing a show for xmas 2007 (for residents at a care home in Wigan)click on it and it should play through photobucket if you have it installed ... happy hunting
JPS

soz ppeppa, i do have photobucket, but it still wont play...
JPS

Hi ppeepa, sorry to hear u ended up in a care home, if there,s anythin i can do to help, jus ask...
ppeppa

TO JPS ..... :x I hope that was yur attempt at a joke ... I appen to werk there ... not reside (thank god) ... anyway I gotta stay undercuver ... coz wen me mates find out i have postid tha video... they will kill me .. an well dun to yu if you recognised them coz thems all Wiginers.... :lol: "UNLESS" .... yu a secret woolyback :P ... the ball iz in yur cort ru gonna come cleen or wot...... :)