Grove Street Bootle

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Shorneyb

Hello,

Has anyone got any photos or street maps of Grove Street from the 1940-50s please. My family lived at no 30 so would like to know what this road was like?

Many thanks
BOBHAMO

Grove street was still there 1968
William Burton lived no 30 in 1949
if i remember to get to the houses you went up some steps
but cant be sure
there was a photo but cant find it
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
john j connell

Correct about the steps Bob, coming from Regent Road up to Rimrose Road they were situated on the left hand side. A picture posted by Dan on the video gallery page 14 on Sun Feb 03/2019 gives a glimpse of the steps and 2 of the houses on Grove Street.JJC.
Shorneyb

Thanks for the layout map Bob.

Thanks for letting me know about my Grandad William Burton living at no 30 in 1949.

My family are trying to work out the years they resided there?

John,

Where can I locate this picture posted by Dan on the video gallery page 14 on Sun Feb 03/2019 please?

Thanks Shorne
john j connell

John,

Where can I locate this picture posted by Dan on the video gallery page 14 on Sun Feb 03/2019 please?

Thanks Shorne
[/quote]

Sorry, i should have said that you should go to page one on the photos, video gallery, go onto the for any old dockers thread, go to page 14 and you should find it. JJC.
Shorneyb

Thanks John.

Bob

Are the steps in this photo?

Shorne
john j connell

The top of the steps would have been the gap between the metal railings and the small wall to the left of the picture. JJC.
BOBHAMO

John always thought it strange when we came down Marsh lane
and crossed into Grove street a big wall
the old houses some where bombed
this photo shows the rebuild must be the same time as Peter Mahon Way same design
pity Shorne i have no50s street directory
bobhamo
ps thehouse on the end J Malvern lived there
and the dog was called Patch :D :D :D :D :D :D
bootle born altcar road
bjones

Don't know if it's any use/interest Shoney but I remember visiting a friend a of my sister in Grove St in about 1963. I remember that the old houses were much bigger than most of the other terraced houses in the Marsh Lane/ Knowsley Rd area, perhaps 3 storeys? Some were divided into flats by then.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Dan

Funny you talking about 3 storey buildings in the area.

I noticed some in Church Street in a photo regarding a Tudor Street query Bobhamo posted a few weeks ago.

I wondered whether they were houses or tenements.

It was also brilliant seeing the housing in Campbell Street. I always wondered what that area used to look like.

1928 map

BOBHAMO

grove street by dot
Dan the perfect example was millers bridge
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Dan

BOBHAMO wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:18 pm

Edited version

grove street by dot
Dan the perfect example was millers bridge
bobhamo

At a guess 1920s. St Phillip's spire visible upper centre, and no Dunningsbridge Road.

Is that Johnson's Cleaners upper third right?
BOBHAMO

Dan it looks like
Bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Shorneyb

Thanks everyone for all your replies and info, the Aerial photos are amazing

Shorne Burton
Shorneyb

Does anyone know what year the houses were built?

This is a story from my Auntie who lived there in the 40s
The house at 30 Grove Street one didn’t look like them it older looking and taller it had an attic and a cellar.I don’t remember steps at the top of the street because when mum had A baby in the pram we went down a slope to cross the main road to go down Marsh Lane .Grove Street had 2 levels one for traffic and the top was to access the properties.There were definitely steps at the end and were concrete.We used them a lot to go to Dock Road and see all the ships coming in.There were war ships,cargo ships and liners from all around the world.You would have been in awe there nothing like it now...I have goosebumps already!!!One day there was a big commotion in the street everyone was out looking down to Dock Road we saw massive clouds of black smoke and flames.People said it was a ship but it turned out to be a warehouse in either Gladstone or Alexandra dock can’t remember which.It was full of rubber and other goods the smell was overwhelming.So.....me and the gang ran to go down the steps to get closer I wanted to see the fire with everyone else. It was all over the papers the next day we had the Liverpool Echo delivered every day.There were quite a few incidents in the docks with other fires and ships sinking people were saying it was sabotage.I thought it was the Germans!!!We saw the Empress of Canada liner dock it think it either had a fire or sank a few years later we were Gravesend by then and my dad told me.It would be interesting if you could check this out just to see if I remembered near enough correctly.Thanks for photos.I would definitely love to join the group to know if anyone else witnessed the incidents in the docks from 1949 onwards.
Jan

:D

Hi Shorne,

I don't know if the houses in Grove street were ever knocked down and rebuilt over time or not. I found this article in the Liverpool Mercury Newspaper November 1865!

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
Shorneyb

Hi Jan

Thanks for the info, I’ve passed this onto my Auntie

Shorne
Dan

Below is part of the Ordnance Survey map as surveyed in 1889/91.

The houses on Grove Street were fronted by greenery and the Midland Railway goods terminal.

Rimrose Cottage, Sandford House and Green Bank House had been demolished in this area in the preceding 40 years.

The hotel behind Grove Street was marked as Rimrose Hotel in the 1848 map.

To the right of the map "RC Ch." was St James Church, and in the upper right is a corner of the North Park.
BOBHAMO

Image 1870
notice just Shore no docks
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Dan

Correct Bob.

I edited the OS map because the river side was a bit boring. Just brickworks and rail lines.

See below.

PunkQu33n

I am also looking for some information regarding my great Nan Rose McVey who lived here before moving to Derby road.