I need your local history knowledge!

Post here about news - events - jobs
Dot Rogers

Hello everybody and thanks for having me on the forum,
I've been reading all of the fabulous facts and historical stories that are posted on here, it really is a great history resource you have created.
The reason I am messaging is because I need your help. I am a freelance artist and ex primary school teacher who is currently working for Sefton Council's educational resources department. The council have asked me to make a website for local primary schools containing good quality history resources about local sefton history.
This is something that sefton really needs as currently, resources for schools aren't great (or at least the ones I know about) and as a result, local history isn't being taught very thoroughly in our schools.
I'm planning to make a series of digital animation short films telling the historical stories of local people and would love to have the voices of bootle residents past and present recorded and played along side the animations to make them interesting and engaging for local children.
This is where I need your help.
I really need some local people to volunteer to record their voices telling the historical stories of sefton. I'll take any story, long or short about any period of history that may be on interest. These stories can be about local parks, WW2, the history of the seafront, toys past and present, homes in the past, seaside holidays in the past, communication from the past, the development of the railways, british history heros, the slave trade, victorian britain, the british empire, how life has changed since 1948, ww1 the list is endless! Basically, I'll take anything you've got!
Due to covid regulations at the moment, I won't be allowed to meet with you directly but if you can record your stories using whatsaap on your phone (there is a microphone recording setting that I can explain to anyone who wants to have a go) or I can set up a zoom meeting with you and record the video of the meeting with your permission.
If anyone can help or if you can just pass this on to people who may be able to help then I would be extremely grateful.
Too much of primary school history is about London and far away places when actually, there is a wealth of history to be tapped into in our local area.
I really look forward to hopefully hearing from some of you who may be able to help,
Thank you in advance, happy new year and best wishes,
D Rogers
Glenys

Sounds wonderful.
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Mack
Site Admin

Hiya Dot,

I interviewed lots of Bootle elders when I first set up our Bootle website.

You can find the link to it below...

https://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/bootle-archive.htm

Wishing you all the very best with this and fingers crossed you get great feedback here.

Mack (Bootle site admin)
Dot Rogers

Hi Glenys and Mack,
Thanks so much for getting in touch, that sounds great Mack, I'm going to have a good look now! Much appreciated, I'll keep updating on here to let you all know how it goes! Hopefully by the end I can post the finished animations.
Take care,
Dot x
Dot Rogers

WOW Mack, that is a fabulous resource! I wonder how it will work with me using things from the audio recordings....technically I need the permission of the people on the recordings before I use their voices for new creations....do you still have contact with any of them or did you have written permission at the time for internet use (you may not have needed to have this but as I'm doing council things, I think they will ask me for written consent...??) will check this though.
I can certainly add a link to your page to the schools website so that the children doing research etc can listen in and learn directly, thanks so much, this is really helpful!
dx
Dot Rogers

Oh Mack,
I just got quite emotional about norah's interview! Genuinely, this is such a fabulous resource. Well done to all who created it! So glad to have found it! dx
Mack
Site Admin

Hiya Dot.

Brilliant it brought you so much emotion :)

I recorded all the interviews with the young people from the Bootle YMCA, Park Street, and Jean Andrew who was running the activities there at the time (now sadly passed away).

This was over 15 years ago. I'm not sure anyone is still alive except for my bezzy mates dad Tommy Whelan who is on the page chatting about his memories.

We had funding from the Lottery at the time which helped me set up our website at that that time.

I've been keeping our Bootle forum online since then with code and design updates.

The old main Bootle website site has not been updated for many years now however due to no funding, so it's still old style and not web responsive.

I design websites for a living but with no funding I just now maintain our Bootle Forum with the old site not being updated since the funding ran out.

Our great forum members contribute towards the hosting costs to keep the web forum online the end of each year.

It's so important we all keep in touch during these difficult times with the COVID-19 crisis.

The memories recorded from the past are so important for our future generation.

Lotsa Bezzies to ya Dot and I hope the info on our site helps you.

Mack
Dot Rogers

Hi Mack,
Well that sounds like a lottery fund put to very good use!
If I hear of any more lottery grants bouncing around I'll be sure to give you a heads up, I know there is an annual one that you can apply for which is titled, lottery heritage grants, but the applications are closed for this year I think. Might be something to apply for in the next few months??
I'm still going to ask how it works with the people who contributed to the interviews, they clearly were giving their consent for the content to be used by doing the interview on tape in the first place....but I'll have to check that this cuts the mustard!!! !
Will keep you updated, I hope you don't mind but I posted a link to your page on facebook on the "seaforth village friends" group, people are already enjoying looking at it!
They are a great little group doing things like local litter picks and organising community events, only discovered them this year. I think your historical page is right up their street!
We do need to stick together at times like these so let's do just that!
Speak to you soon and bezzies back at cha!
If you happened to be speaking to Tommy Whelan and could get him (or his son) to consent to me using the content on a text then that would be all kinds of helpful! I think just a text saying something along the lines of "I am happy for my historical taped interview and it's contents to be used by Sefton council and it's affiliates for an education history website" would do the trick, I think if it came from his phone or that of his family, that would act as a binding permission....I understand if you don't get the chance to do this, but if you don't ask, you don't get!
Bezzies back at cha!
Dot
bob. b

Sent you a PM
Regards Bobby
Mack
Site Admin

Hi Dot,

I've moved your post over to our Bootle Community news - events - jobs section for more feedback so it does not get lost amongst the other threads.

Bezzies,

Mack

PS: if you just put a link on your new project to the interview page that will be absolutely fine. If you need any help at anytime I'm also a sound engineer, musician and artist amongst many other things. :wink:
Dot Rogers

Hi Mack,
Perfect thanks so much, yes I'm planning to do a "useful links" page for teachers to use as a reference also so will be sure to add a link to your original website on that too.
I will be sure to credit your work on the animation itself which I'm hoping will have credits at the end etc...
Thanks so much for your kindness so far,
Speak to you soon!
dot x