Charles Burgess/Mill Rd Infirmary & Fallon/Walton workhouse

Find Bootle friends and family here
Sheenagh

I have found a burial reference for someone who might be my great grandfather, Charles Burgess, in 1895. Charles Augustus Burgess was married to Mary Alice nee Crawford, in 1890, and family lore is that he did die soon after, but I’ve not found a death cert. I am wondering how to access any records from Mill Rd Infirmary, so I can see if this is the same person...? Assuming that this is my great grandfather, I am also wondering whether anyone knows more than the google search I’ve done on the Mill Rd Infirmary? Eg was it part of the workhouse? Or a general hospital for the area? Was it also an asylum? Any pointers/info welcome!

I have a similar query on possible sighting of Mary Alice’s Grandmother, Mary Crawford, nee Fallon...there is a record of a Mary Fallon in the Walton On the hill workhouse in the 1901 census, about the right age for Mary and born in Ireland, which fits, sort of, though her married name, at this time was Crawford....so not sure If she would have been admitted under her birth name...I am wondering if there are records which could shed some light on this?

I appreciate that this is not the right time to come to look at records personally, unfortunately, but maybe sometime soon...?!
BOBHAMO

nl
Last edited by BOBHAMO on Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
bootle born altcar road
Jan

Hi Sheenagh,

I found this death registration

Name: Charles Burgess
Estimated birth year: abt 1865
Registration Year: 1895
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
Age at Death: 30
Registration district: West Derby
Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 245

Thing is I found Charles Alice and son on the 1891 census at 3 Cowper Street Bootle, Charles is listed as being age 31 in 1891, but on the death registration age is 30 same as on the burial record for Mill Road (which was later a maternity hospital). I am wondering that seeing as Charles was a sailor he may have died at sea?

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
Sheenagh

Thanks so much Jan...I hadn’t seen that death reference. Perhaps the death cert might shed some light on who he was.

I too had wondered if Charles might have died at sea. Alice re-partnered with Christopher Hogan some time between that 1891 census and 1895, when young Charles A. Hogan was born....I haven’t found a birth cert for that child, but he is on subsequent records, & I have a picture of him from my grandfather (George), so think he did exist!

My other thought was that perhaps the Charles in the infirmary had been there for some time with an ailment, and that Alice re-partnered over that period....which is why I was wondering if the records from Mill Rd Infirmary might shed some light on that Charles....do you know if those records are accessible...I guess through the Council/library archives maybe?
Sheenagh

PS...I couldn’t find that Charles Burgess d 1895 on the Liverpool BMD - only one who died in Rochdale turned up....can you point me to where you found it?? Thanks!
Jan

Hi Sheenagh,

There are a number of records for Mill Road at Liverpool Records office, they are unfortunately closed at the moment because of the virus.

I found this on their online catalogue. But it would have to be a trip to the records office to view them. other records for Mill Road, are for maternity hospital records.

352 ASS - Liverpool Corporation: Public Assistance Committee
Ref No
352 ASS
Title
Liverpool Corporation: Public Assistance Committee
Description
Records of the Case Paper Department, Repayment of Relief Department and Boarding-Out Department. This includes records relating to persons receiving relief and weekly returns of statistics on the number of people receiving relief.

46 boxes of case papers of the Public Assistance Committee also survive. These are awaiting cataloguing and are currently not available for public inspection.
Date
1882-1952
Level
Collection
Access_Conditions
Many of the records contain sensitive personal information. Those records containing sensitive personal information of adults are not available for public inspection for 75 years. Those records containing sensitive personal information of children are not available for public inspection for 100 years. This is in accordance with Section 40 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

I found the death registration for 1895 on the ancestry site. the registration district at the time was West Derby (which would have covered Bootle).

Jan
Jan

Sheengh,

Young Charles Augustus was Burgess and not Hogan. There was also another child Hugh. I got the info from GRO indexes where you can search births before 1911 with mothers maiden name added to the indexes.

Name:
Mother's Maiden Surname:

BURGESS, CHARLES AUGUSTUS
CRAWFORD
GRO Reference: 1894 D Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 464

BURGESS, GEORGE FRANCIS
CRAWFORD
GRO Reference: 1890 D Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 440

BURGESS, HUGH
CRAWFORD
GRO Reference: 1892 S Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 448

Hugh's baptism record (names in Latin) but the parents are Charles and Alice.

Name:
Hugo Burgess
[Hugh Burgess]
Birth Date:
3 Jul 1892
Baptism Date:
12 Jul 1892
Baptism Place:
St James, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Search Photos:
Search for 'Liverpool' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
Father:
Caroli Burgess
Mother:
Aliciae Burgess

Poor little mite died aged 2.
Name:
Hugh Burgess
Death Age:
Birth Date:
abt 1893
Death Date:
Burial Date:
21 Mar 1895
Burial Place:
Ford Cemetery, Liverpool, Lancashire, England the address on burial registration 46 Cranworth Street.

Charles' baptism (the address 46 Cranworth Street).

Name:
Carolus Augustinus Burgess
Birth Date:
15 Oct 1894
Baptism Date:
28 Oct 1894
Baptism Place:
St James, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Search Photos:
Search for 'Liverpool' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
Father:
Caroli Augustum Burgess
Mother:
Aliciae Burgess

Jan
Sheenagh

DearJan,

I can’t tell you how pleased I am to have your assistance with this! Haven’t used the GRO, but will familiarise myself now. I did try looking for young Charles as a Burgess on ancestry, but no luck. This new information makes sense...each of the 3 children, George, Charles and Hugh, named after father/grandfathers. I had worked back from the 1901 census, which shows young Charles as Hogan, but now can also narrow down the older Charles’ death to 1894-1900, I think, as I think Mary Hogan was born to Alice and Christopher Hogan n 1900.

Will also now need to see if young Charles was later known as Burgess or Hogan. Mary Alice and Christopher Hogan didn’t marry tl 1906, when she was 8 mths pregnant with young Christopher, and they already had Mary and Thomas, I believe. I guess it’s unlikely that young Charles’ name was formally changed to Hogan. A later census said that Alice and Christopher had had 9 children together, 7 living....so if Charles wasn’t theirs, think I am still missing a child now!

I would be really interested to look at the Infirmary records, when the office is open again & I can come up from London - we’ll see!

Warmest wishes

Sheenagh
Jan

Hi Sheenagh,

Glad to help.

There was a Hugh Hogan born 1908, I notice he isn't on the 1911 with the family.

Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
HOGAN, CHRISTOPHER CRAWFORD
GRO Reference: 1906 J Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 391
HOGAN, HUGH CRAWFORD
GRO Reference: 1908 S Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 378

Hugh sadly died aged 2 months.

Name: Hugh Hogan
Death Age: 2/12
Birth Date: abt 1908
Death Date: 1908
Burial Date: 20 Oct 1908
Burial Place: Ford Cemetery, Liverpool, Lancashire, England

Thomas Hogan birth was registered as Patrick Thomas.

HOGAN, PATRICK THOMAS CRAWFORD
GRO Reference: 1904 S Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 247

Jan
Jan

Sheenagh,

Did you know about the twins born 1912?

Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
HOGAN, DANIEL CRAWFORD
GRO Reference: 1912 J Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 661
HOGAN, GERARD CRAWFORD
GRO Reference: 1912 J Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 662

Daniel died 1 month old, he was buried in Ford cem. The address on the register was 116 Miller's Bridge, where the family were living in 1911..

Jan
Jan

Sheenagh,

Getting back to Mary Fallon you found in the workhouse 1901. That would be her married name, Mary Alice Crawford's grandmother on her mother's side.

Here is Mary Alice Crawford's baptism record. Her father Hugh Crawford, her mother Mary Ann Fallon.

Name: Maria Alicia Crawford
Birth Date: 16 Mar 1870
Baptism Date: 20 Mar 1870
Baptism Place: St Augustine (Augustini), Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Search Photos: Search for 'Liverpool' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
Father: Hugonis Crawford
Mother: Maria Anna Fallan

There are workhouse records for Liverpool available to view on findmypast, but I don't know what workhouse they cover, it just says Liverpool, there were quite a few of them. otherwise the records for Walton workhouse are at Liverpool Records Office.

Jan
Sheenagh

Thanks so much Jan...no, I hadn’t seen the twin Daniel, who died, just Gerard...I am looking forward to making better use of the GRO. Interesting, and so sad, that both children called Hugh died so young.

Warm wishes

Sheenagh