Ribble buses in Liverpool

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Gardner 180

Dan wrote:Enlarged for Ray to work his magic.

Regards

Dan
I am grateful to Dave for posting these pictures for me, and also to Dan for enlarging them. I will add some detail.

1. A Lancashire United Guy Arab at the junction of Derby Square and Lord Street on route 320 to Wigan.
This was a joint service with St Helens Corporation and Wigan Corporation and Ribble Motor Services.

2. Ribble Leyland Leopard,fleet number 900 about to leave Blackpool on the Express service to Liverpool.
This coach was based at Wigan depot during my time with Ribble in the late 1960s, drove it many times.

3. A Lancashire United "Bristol RE" at the top of St Johns Lane on route 320 to Wigan in the 1970s.

4. Ribble Leyland Atlantean 1686 is from about 1960, and is in the care of Ribble Vehicle Preservation Trust.
The Leyland bus at the rear is also preserved, ex Birkenhead Corporation Transport.

5. Wigan Corporation Leyland PD2 on route 320 to Wigan when it was just 3 weeks old, also a Leyland PD2
of St Helens Corporation on route 317 to St Helens.

Regards, Ray Smyth.
Gardner 180

During my 2 years driving Ribble buses from early 1968, I got to go to several Ribble depots in other towns,
e.g. Blackburn, Chorley, Morecambe, Preston, Southport, etc, but I never went to any of the Liverpool depots.
I knew where Aintree and Skelhorne Street sites were, but not Bootle depot. I would like to see some pictures
of the Merseyside Ribble depots when they were still active. Best Regards, Ray Smyth.
filsgreen

It was on Hawthorne Road, opposite Staley Street , Ray. I haven't got any photos, but I used to go into the garage and cadge rolls of bus tickets off the conductors. God know why. :D
Bill fawcett

I saw a No 61 bus in Linacre Lane today which was red. It had Ribble on the side and Arriva on the rear. Anyone else seen this or know anything about it?

Bill
Last edited by Bill fawcett on Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
BossHogg

I've seen something similar up here, it was a Stagecoach double decker, painted in the livery of the long defunct Cumberland bus company.
Dan

Bill fawcett wrote:I saw a No 61 bus in Linacre Lane today which was red. It had Ribble on the side and Aviva on the rear. Anyone else seen this or know anything about it?

Bill
Get the 63 to Crosby library. Bus in the same livery turned up last week. Hadn't seen "Ribble"on a bus in years.
Gardner 180

With regard to the above reports of seeing buses in Ribble livery recently, about 6 weeks ago,
I saw a Volvo single decker passing through Wigan town centre on route 320 to St Helens in
the original Ribble deep red colour and the "Ribble" name in lower case lettering. I wasn't
near enough to get a picture of it, and by a coincidence, a picture of it appeared on the
lorry drivers forum called TrucknetUK a few days later. I have put a picture of it in to my Pictures
folder, but try as I may, I still cant master putting pictures on this Forum, despite the kind gestures
from Bootle Forum members. My nephew Andrew is calling to see me in a couple of weeks time, he is
well into computer graphics, his job title is "Technical Author" and he will show me where I am going
wrong. In the meantime, if you go to TrucknetUK, click on "Board Index", then click on "Old Time Lorries"
etc, and scroll down to a thread that I started last year called "Buses & Coaches & Lorries", you can find
this Ribble Volvo on page 31. To my amazement, the thread has had over 50,000 views. 8)

Kind Regards, Ray
Gardner 180

Just a last minute reminder for anyone that likes transport, lorries and buses.
The 21st Leyland Gathering is on Sunday July 7th at the British Commercial
Vehicle Museum in the town of Leyland, Lancashire. Regards, Ray.
filsgreen

Thanks for the heads up, Ray. :D
Gardner 180

I enjoyed a good day at the "Leyland Gathering" last Sunday, July 7th, I was there for
about 5 hours, and fortunately, the weather remained fine. Perhaps some Bootle Forum
people were there also. When I finally learn to post pictures on here, I will put on some
excellent pictures of vehicles from way back in time.
Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.
Gardner 180

I have mentioned earlier that I drove for Ribble from early 1968 until early 1970, based at their Wigan depot.
Almost all of the Liverpool Ribble routes headed North, Bootle, Crosby, Ormskirk, Southport, etc., Just two
routes went Eastbound, the 317 to St Helens, and the 320 to Wigan. Both routes were joint services with
other companies, the 317 joint with St Helens Corporation, and the 320 with Lancashire United Transport,
St Helens Corporation, and Wigan Corporation. The 320 was covered by 1 bus from Ribble Wigan depot,
2 buses from Ribble Skelhorne Street depot, and 3 buses from Lancashire United Transport from their depot
at Hindley near Wigan. I am interested to hear from anyone with any further info on these 2 routes which
during my time with Ribble, used South John Street as its Liverpool terminus. I am grateful for the pictures that have
been put on this thread by "Bootle" members.

Regards, Ray Smyth.
henry

What was the name of the pub in skelhourne bus station :?:
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
Bonesy

This is on the yoliverpool website.

It was known to locals as I 1st mentioned on here a few years ago as the Ribble Bar..
I drank there regular and remember it being called that... it was run by an Irish lad called Tommy Stack, who went to work for my sister after the bar closed in The Lorne on Brownlow Hill and The Farnworth on Kensington... Tommys mother ran The Ribble Bar before him.. I'll try and find out if Tommys son knows if it had a proper name.... my uncle drove Ribble buses from the station.. he referred to it as The Ribble Bar as well..

Keith
henry

I don't remember it ever being called that Keith
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
Gardner 180

Further to my earlier postings regarding Ribble buses, One of several books that I have is called " Ribble...Working Days "
by Roger Davies. There is a 12 page chapter in the book entitled " Mersey Beat " and I think it would be of interest to any
former Ribble staff, and people that used Ribble buses in your area. Perhaps your local libraries have a copy of the book.

Regards, Ray Smyth.
Gardner 180

Ribble fleet number 484 is seen .in Skelhorne Street, arriving on route L8 which
I think was from Crosby. Click on picture for larger image. My limited laptop
skills prevent me from enlarging pictures before posting, But I will keep trying, Ray Smyth.
Gardner 180

Ribble fleet number 1563 has just left the Ribble bus station in Skelhorne Street, Liverpool.
It is on route number S2 heading to Southport. Click on picture for larger image. NMP.
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

This thread has just confirmed what a silly, old, repetitive, reminiscing pensioner I am.

I was about to post on the times I avoided Ribble to await the cheaper Corpie buses from Bedford Road. I was lucky enough to see I had already posted that last year.

Maybe my kids are right in occasionally being bored by a tale I tell for the fourth time?
Gardner 180

This bus is one of 100 Daimlers purchased by Liverpool Corporation in the late 1940s.
The first 50 Daimlers received bodywork by Northern Counties at Wigan. This bus,
fleet number D587 received body framework by Weymann, near London, and was
completed by the Corporation at their Edge Lane works. D587 is seen here on route 81
from Speke to Bootle, and I think the location is approaching Childwall Fiveways.
Click on picture for larger image. Not my picture.

Ray.
Gardner 180

Ribble bus, fleet number 1505 at the Ribble bus station in Bolton Street, Liverpool in early 1970s.
Click on picture for larger image. NMP.
BOBHAMO

got these of my mate Dave
cant remember myself but did the they have bench seats and match strikers
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Gardner 180

BOBHAMO wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:32 pm Image
got these of my mate Dave
cant remember myself but did the they have bench seats and match strikers
bobhamo
Bob, Thank you for these 2 interesting pictures. I think the 1st picture is early 1960s, judging by the 2 chaps on the left
wearing a raincoat and trilby hats. The 2 Leyland Ribble buses about to enter the bus station are 14` 6" high and the
seating is the usual 2 seats either side of the gangway. The upstairs view in picture 2 is a Leyland PD2 with lowbridge
bodywork, 13` 6" high, so that it can pass under certain low bridges. In the lower saloon, the footwell from upstairs
protrudes into the offside of the lower deck ceiling, and there was usually a little warning notice informing passengers
sat under it to take care when getting up. The 3 Ribble depots in Liverpool, Skelhorne Street, Aintree, and Bootle didn't
have a need for Lowbridge buses. The Ribble depots at Chorley, Preston, and Wigan had many lowheight double deckers
because of a railway bridge at Coppull which carries the London to Glasgow railway line, this bridge was 14ft, so the
lowheight buses got under it with a few inches to spare. This bridge was on the frequent route 125, Wigan to Preston
and route 259, Wigan to Blackburn, there were also lowheight buses at Blackburn depot. I remember the match strikers
on the backs of the upper deck seats, because in them days you could smoke a ciggy or light your pipe upstairs,

I have finally managed to post a few pictures on Bootle Forum, but even though they are approx. 6" x 4" in my file,
they always appear smaller on this thread. I will post a few pictures of some of the lowheight double deckers that
I drove during my 2 years as a Ribble driver, early 1968 until early 1970, after which I went back on the lorries and
remained driving them until 2015 aged 71.

Best regards, Ray.
Gardner 180

Bob, Further to the lowbridge/lowheight buses that I drove for Ribble, I have attached 2 pictures.
The first is an Albion Lowlander from 1964, with bodywork by Alexander of Falkirk, and the next
picture is a Leyland Atlantean with bodywork by Northern Counties of Wigan. Both of these machines
were about 13` 4" high, but the upstairs seating was the normal 2 plus 2 either side of the gangway,
because of more modern lowered chassis design. In picture 1, the bus at the rear of the Albion 1852
is a Leyland fleet No. 1438 which is 14` 6" high and you can see the height difference. The older Leyland
bus behind the Albion was Ribble fleet number 1438, the first Ribble that I ever drove. I have attached 2
pictures of 1438, when it was fairly new in Skelhorne Street, and 17 years later at a scrapyard in Selby.

Cheers, Ray.

Gardner 180

Ribble fleet number 900, a dual-purpose bus is seen here loading holidaymakers in Blackpool,
and ready to set off to Liverpool on route number X61, which used to be a regular express service.

In picture 2, the same bus is seen around 1970 passing through Market Place, Wigan on route 352
from St Helens. I drove this bus many times during my 2 years with Ribble, from early 1968, at this
time, 900 was based at Wigan depot. Click on picture for larger image.

Ray.

Bonesy

At Maghull railway station early 70s

Keith
xkopite

Posting these pictures for Ray again till he gets the hang of it

Bonesy

Bolton St, Liverpool.

Keith
fatboyjoe90

BOBHAMO wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:03 pm Image
bobhamo

Ribble bus parked opposite the north park Bootle, you can see when we had public conveniences. :( :wink:
Cheers Joe.
EdMcDonald

Route # 351. Where was that route. :?:
Home of the "Edmonton Oilers" Future Stanley Cup Champions. :D
A long way from Duncan B.C. :wink:
filsgreen

Think it went to Ormskirk, Ed.
Sheelagh Tequila

I've just had a lovely 10 minutes looking through all the photo's, my Dad and Brother could have been driving anyone of those. I even travelled on them for my first job with John Moores in Crosby 1964, if Dad was driving or my brother was the guard I never had to pay :wink: Thanks for the memories boys.

Sheelagh :D
fatboyjoe90

Another photo for you Ray, Ribble bus going over the Litherland, Lift Bridge. :D :wink:

Cheers Joe.
Gardner 180

Joe, Thank you for the Ribble picture, Cheers, Ray.
Gardner 180

Joe, Thank you for the Ribble picture, Cheers, Ray.