bob. b

Not the above team medal Ray left in 1964
bob. b

bob. b

bob. b

bob. b

bob. b

bob. b

This is Bootle Grammar School football - first team. George Davies who owned Next, George at Asda, Per Una at Marks & Spencer’s, is third from the left on the front row. Kenny Snelgrove (four from the left front row) played cricket for Lancashire.
Most of these pupils were in my class at Bootle Grammar School, David Fairclough.
bob. b

Bootle st James
bob. b

Muncaster
bob. b

Bootle YM
bob. b

Look at this one Les lived by the Mons

From the age of my uncle Joe Dry (in the middle) this is early to mid 1950’s. It’s taken either in the Solly or the Muncaster. These Bootle boys are L to R Colin Grant, Les Elms, Joe Dry, Michael Collins and Harry Taylor (as written on the back)

Could Les Elms, possibly be Les Helm, who in the 1990s was the Everton FC physio? It certainly looks like him.
Yes it is him Ryan
bob. b

Another Bootle Lad

Jimmy Payne: Footballer known as 'the Merseyside Matthews'

It did Jimmy Payne no favours to be described
as "the Merseyside Matthews". The Bootle-born Liverpool right winger was a high-quality performer, an enchanting dribbler who could thrill the Kop on his day, leaving a trail of dazed and confused would-be markers in his wake. But he was never remotely on a par with the extraordinary Stanley, who at his peak was deemed the best footballer in the world, and the younger man could have done without unrealistically raised expectations.
Payne touched his own prime midway through the 20th century, appearing for the Anfield Reds in the 1950 FA Cup final defeat by Arsenal, shortly before enjoying a trio of international outings on an England "B" tour of Europe. But it was his misfortune to be part of a Liverpool side on the threshold of a debilitating decline which would culminate in relegation to the Second Division.
The diminutive winger joined the Reds as an amateur in 1942 and turned professional in 1944, but did not make his senior entrance until September 1948, in a 1-0 home defeat by Bolton Wanderers. A month later he scored his first goal, a late equaliser against Chelsea at Anfield, and thereafter he became a regular, linking productively with his inside-right, Jack Balmer, and proving adept at picking out the penetrative runs of the Scottish powerhouse Billy Liddell on the opposite wing.
Payne contributed sparkily during Liverpool's progress to Wembley in 1950, scoring in the third-round replay victory over Blackburn Rovers and the fourth-round win against Exeter City, but in the final he could make little headway in his personal duel with the Welsh international full-back Walley Barnes as the Gunners prevailed 2-0. Still, his impressive work throughout the campaign earned him his international call-up and he had his backers for a full cap, but in an era when Matthews and Preston North End's majestic Tom Finney held sway, there were precious few England opportunities for other wide men.

At club level, though, Payne continued to thrive until an ill-judged temporary change of position dented his confidence. Initially he had been embraced by Liverpool fans as one of their own, winning respect for his physical bravery and acute football intelligence – he had an instinct for knowing the precise moment to deliver a cross or through-pass – as much as his array of ball skills.
However, when the new manager Don Welsh, seeking more creativity following a run of poor results midway through the 1951-52 season, switched him to inside-left, he began to attract flak from the terraces and stands. Payne lacked the stamina for the demanding box-to-box role, in which he was unable to take periodic breathers, as he could do when hogging the touchline, and although he was subsequently returned to the wing he was never again quite the same attacking force.
Meanwhile Liverpool were slowly sinking, to 17th place in the top flight in 1952-53, then to rock-bottom in 1953-54. During that calamitous season Payne missed a lot of games through injury, and there was also meaningful competition for his place from the younger Brian Jackson, who had been recruited from Leyton Orient.
In the Second Division Payne continued to be plagued by niggling fitness problems and shared right-wing duties with Jackson until he returned to the First Division with Everton, whom he had supported as a boy, in a £5,000 deal in April 1956. He had made 245 senior appearances and scored 42 goals for the Reds.
Sadly, injuries prevented any chance of a major impact at Goodison Park and in 1957 he retired at the premature age of 31 to work in the family newsagents in his native Bootle before becoming a hotelier in the Lake District. Payne left behind him memories of a worthy career, but also the nagging notion that he had never quite fulfilled the rich potential that had been evident in his early twenties.

Bobby
bob. b

HOLY-GHOST-1963-63
bob. b

These are my dad's (Reg Jones) medals which I think are from either Bootle Boys football team or Bootle Grammar circa 1947. Anyone know what B.C.L.&D. means ? Can anyone confirm their origin ?Kent Jones
Bootle Crosby Litherland and District maybe? Jim mcgrann
Confusing - the medal states "Council of Boys Clubs" - but on Merseyside, the Clubs were under the banner of LBA, the Liverpool Boys Association. They won't be from Bootle Grammar School - if they were, they'd have the School Motto - Respice, Aspice, Prospice - on them. PhilPellow

Bobby
bob. b

Bootle Borough
bob. b

ImageImage

Merton-Villa-Paul-Mac-Mullen
R Humphreys in the top picture coaching Merton Villa and in the bottom playing for Winfred Sports
bob. b

From Bobhamo
bob. b

bob. b

Aintree-Villa-1983
bob. b

Bibby-FC-1982
bob. b

bootle-triangle-1975
COLLY

bob. b wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:55 pm Image

Look at this one Odva
Gerry Mears- England Schoolboy International.
Would probably have been the all sky blue kit.
June 1971- The rule was hair shouldn't touch the collar or be over the ears- and sideburns were like walking a tightrope.

December 10 2018

Reply from Colly to the above picture, copied from Bob b's Bootle JOC thread.

great photo michael , few familiar faces there , i played for the odva in 1975 along with you and chris johnson also brin hore played in same league for ford villa , wondering why ged mears is on there as he was 2 or 3 years older than us i used to play football with him in derby park through late 60s and up to 1975 i remember him playing for england he should have been a top pro footballer , sadly ged passed away last month aged 60
2 great schoolboy teams there , odva and ford villa , the whole bootle boys team that year was from those 2 teams ,
bob. b

St Winnes Joey Smith is on the front far left
bob. b

Well a must to watch if you have Netflix English game
All about money not the working class think about this grass routes in football money money money
We all played in the streets in my days
Is this why the JOC has gone look at the English game
Going to look into this my next project
Bobby
COLLY

COLLY wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:09 pm
bob. b wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:55 pm Image

Look at this one Odva
Gerry Mears- England Schoolboy International.
Would probably have been the all sky blue kit.
June 1971- The rule was hair shouldn't touch the collar or be over the ears- and sideburns were like walking a tightrope.

December 10 2018

Reply from Colly to the above picture, copied from Bob b's Bootle JOC thread.

great photo michael , few familiar faces there , i played for the odva in 1975 along with you and chris johnson also brin hore played in same league for ford villa , wondering why ged mears is on there as he was 2 or 3 years older than us i used to play football with him in derby park through late 60s and up to 1975 i remember him playing for england he should have been a top pro footballer , sadly ged passed away last month aged 60
2 great schoolboy teams there , odva and ford villa , the whole bootle boys team that year was from those 2 teams ,
i noticed a few photos on here that somebody has added colour to , is it possible to do it these two , ford played in red and white and odva in yellow and blue , be very grateful if some clever chap can have a go
BOBHAMO

the best i can do :D :D :D
Ford Villa shared are pitch no 8 at buckly hill
some great matchs against them
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
bob. b

[i[url=https://ibb.co/55QBwN0]Image
Image33255bm.jpg[/img][/url]ImageImageImage[/url
][url=https://ibb.co/Vvk3rKY]Image

Ray Mears and Billy Broadman
Bootle lad leaves for New Zealand 1965

by everliver
Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:31 pm
Forum: Talk about the History of Bootle here
Topic: Bootle Joc
Replies: 3476
Views: 361822
Re: Bootle Joc
Ray Mears (footballer)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For other people named Ray Mears, see Ray Mears (disambiguation).
Ray Mears
Personal information
Full name Raymond Mears
Place of birth Bootle
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
Eastern Suburbs
National team
1967–1969 New Zealand 10 Caps (3)goals
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Raymond Mears is a former association football player who represented New Zealand at international level.

Mears scored on his full All Whites debut in a 3-5 loss to Australia on 25 November 1967[1] and ended his international playing career with 10 A-international caps and 3 goals to his credit,[2][3] his final cap an appearance in a 0-2 loss to Israel on 1 October 1969.[1]

Young lad from Bootle makes good in New Zealand
When I saw your 'Bootle Lad' quote I immediately thought of a man who I am proud to call my cousin and who is a member of this site using that title.

When I played for Winifred Sports (Not St Winifreds) all those years ago our little mascot was called Ray Mears. I felt reasonable successful when I signed for Liverpool but this was small fry compared to our Ray.

As he grew up he also played in the JOC but became disenchanted with the UK weather and, as a single man, decided to emigrate to New Zealand with a group of pals. By the time he boarded the ship they had all bottled out and he travelled down under alone to make a new life. He was only about 21 at the time.

Although initially alone Ray settled well, became a family man, and achieved full international status when chosen to play for his new country, New Zealand.

He earned several full caps but his modesty remains and he relates little to these achievements.

I wonder what sporting heights he would have achieved here if he had not taken that fateful cruise to a new land?

What a player he was what could he have achieved in football in England Well done Ray ( Bootle Lad) 10 Caps 3 Goals
Bobby
bob. b

Salibury-FC-Veterans-I-Zingari-Combination-Challenge-Cup-
bob. b

bob. b

bob. b

bob. b

bob. b