Bootle Joc

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Invicta

Bobby, Several of those lads feature in the Bootle Grammar school pics, others played for WB.
Stan Lipscombe moved South and I believe had a trial with West Ham.
Not sure you will find any of my JOC days but I did find a Courtaulds one but it was so faded it wasn’t suitable for recopying .
Ken
bob. b

Muncaster FC
Albie Bell John Kelly Billy Reeves
bob. b

Picture 0143
bob. b

Picture 0144
bob. b

Picture 0145
bob. b

Picture 0146
bob. b

Picture 0147
bob. b

Picture 26 St Joan's 1961/2 season champions Left to right back row pat Mackie, John Dry (Jad) John Kelly ,Terry Duffy (bluenose) Dave Nall,Jem fitzsimmons, John Ginley, Davo, ?? , Frank Grady,steve draper, ME and frank jumbo Makin , teacher on the left Mr Breen,
Ha , they came from all over Bootle Marsh lane Knowsley rd area, only me and Pat from our estate. Tony Hines
bob. b

bob. b

bob. b

My good friend Henry Bradley top row 2nd in far-right
St Monica's school
bob. b

bob. b

BOOTLE YM Football teams
bob. b

Two more of Bootle YM football team
bob. b

For the lads that were selected for the school district team. We were given the badge when you were first selected into the squad. My badge is about 54 years old. I remember lining up with Michael Owen's dad Terry. In my opinion, Terry was a better player than his son.
bob. b

Bob. b
bob. b

Paul McCabe

Not sure if this has been posted previously but anyway, here's BOOTLE YMCA (taken circa 1968 !!)

Back row (L - R); Jimmy Duckworth, John Riley, Jimmy Russell, Tony King, Paul Williams (RIP), ?.

Front row (L - R); ? , John Kelly, Paul McCabe, Steve Platt, ?,

...….I can still smell the liniment & hear the dressing room banter.....all just as good as playing the actual game....!!

Happy Daze. :-)

bob. b

Thanks, Paul been looking for that picture thanks, mate.
bob. b

Well just met with a wonderful lady from Bootle lots of history regarding Bootle JOC and l worked with her husband small world Margaret G xx

She gave me a book Bootle connections on football

The things she talks about and her husband should never be forgotten and l will post it soon.

Just need time to Collette this information about Bootle JOC

Need to talk to my mate and mentors Henry, John, and our Albie about there playing days in the JOC before it is lost

Worked with Mick Goodwin he had lots of information on the JOC always putting facts in a book hope they are still out there.

Regards Bob.b
bob. b

Who is Tommy Barnes fantastic book

This is history to me

Bobby

Going to put some facts on from this book

My mate Eddie will be interested in this Maranda

Bootle
ALAMO2008

Came across this while researching something else in Daily Post May 1967 thought it might be of interest.

bob. b

Al thanks for that information on Bootle Boys

Any more info, please

Bobby
bob. b

bob. b

As a schoolboy l played for St Mary's/ Balliol rd school but my days playing football l will never forget was in Canal st with my mates and other street teams we played against.

Looking up to the great teams' players like Bootle St James Windham Waterloo United Pembroke Maranda Pentagon Bensons Orrell Rangers Winifreds Sport and many more what an education l had in them days, what great ambassadors them players were to us kids in the street

They would finish work and always had time to have a {kick in} in the street happy days that goal is there to this day in canal st by the Baggie the lamp post or two jumpers.

Remember the days looking forward to Saturday morning going to watch Windham Utd and Bootle St James also Waterloo United and them training days always back to the pub. Always had lemmo

I have got lots of people to thank with regards to playing football in the street our Albie B Dougie H Freddie T Gerry B Billy K Brian B Henry B loads more that will come later.

Well then started playing in the YM remember the great days looking up to John Kelly Graham Headgerson Paul Mac Jimmy Russell Jimmy Duckworth Steve Platt and many more will name them later.

One player that should have made it was my good friend John Harris, great player and l played with him and his brother Charlie also my brother Albie in the same team great times

Well, l could go on with regards to this subject, l have met loads of ex-players from the JOC and a pleasure to meet them great players in them decades playing in the JOC.

Sadly, that once great league is now only part of history, being disbanded a couple of years ago, the memories of the great days should never be forgotten to the local teams and players.

What the kids of today have missed playing in the street looking up to the bigger lads in the street playing football well happy days

Bob, b
ALAMO2008

bob. b wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:40 am Al thanks for that information on Bootle Boys

Any more info, please

Bobby
Sadly no, came across these by accident while in Liverpool Central Library researching in Echo and Mail for articles about my Brother in Law Bernard Mahoney who in 1966/7 played for St Martin's Catholic Boys School and Liverpool Catholic Boys and was signed by Bill Shankley for Liverpool FC Boys.

Messed up his potential career and is now Teetotal reminiscing about when he played for these Teams in 1966/67

His Sister (my Wife) and I thought it would be a good Christmas Present if we could frame an article or photo for him.

His greatest memory was playing for Liverpool Catholic Boys at Maine Road against Manchester City Catholic Boys, so before Christmas I went to the Archive Department of Liverpool Catholic Cathedral looking at Past issues of the Catholic Pictorial for 3hrs 10am to 1pm and just before the Archivist went to Lunch at 1 pm,
I found an article about the match that mentioned Maine Road,

I shouted "Eureka!" and photographed it quickly and left returning back to Aberystwyth quite chuffed.

Only when I read the article I realised it was about the Home Game at Penny Lane 10/05/67 which they lost and hoped they would do better at Maine Road for the Return match on 17/05/67 the following week.

Couldn't get back to the Archive department till last Sunday, thought all I need to do is look at the Catholic Pictorial for 20th May 1967 to get the Maine Road report.

But Fate had the Cathedral Consecrated that week and the Bumper issue of the Pictorial that week and next just had photos of Politicians etc who attended. There was no room for local news or Football results.

So as it was not recorded it therefore never happened.

In the June 67 issue I did find an Article about St Martin's Catholic Boys school winning the Double that year.
The Archivisit said he would have the Photo and Negative of that Team photo, he dug out within a minute the gloss b/w photo but it was folded giving it a crease.

Anyway he scanned it and emailed it to me there and then.

He suggested I try Liverpool Echo and Daily Post, I was going to the Liverpool Central Library next anyway.

However, as I trawled around those dates all both papers reported on was the Success of Liverpool boys beating East London boys in the Cup Final, took photos.
Then by accident I saw the article on Bootle boys beating them so I took photos to post on here.

Put photo on Rootschat Forum under Photo Restoration to see if the crease could be photo shopped out and also coloured to their Green and White kit.
Last edited by ALAMO2008 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob. b

Alamo's great story and a fantastic bit of history.
All the lads will enjoy that read
Thanks again hope someone can put names to picture.

Bob. b
ALAMO2008

Have the Catholic Pictorial article giving the boys names will post it later also colour restoration done by Rootschat.

My Wife and Brother have been written out of History both of them.

Went last Xmas 2018 to the Catholic Cathedral Archive to look for Photos etc of the very First Nativity that took place at the New Catholic Cathedral,
My Wife played Joseph in St Martin's Girls school production of the First Nativity in 1968

Checked records for Christmas 1967 1968 1969 no such event was recorded so it never happened.

Once all those proud Kids and those proud Parents die, the event never happened because it wasn't recorded in writing.
ALAMO2008

Here's the Rootschat Colour Restoration of above 1967 photo of St Martin's Catholic Boys School.

bob. b

bob. b wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:09 pm As a schoolboy l played for St Mary's/ Balliol rd school but my days playing football l will never forget was in Canal st with my mates and other street teams we played against.

Looking up to the great teams' players like Bootle St James Windham Waterloo United Pembroke Maranda Pentagon Bensons Orrell Rangers Winifreds Sport and many more what an education l had in them days, what great ambassadors them players were to us kids in the street

They would finish work and always had time to have a {kick in} in the street happy days that goal is there to this day in canal st by the Baggie the lamp post or two jumpers.

Remember the days looking forward to Saturday morning going to watch Windham Utd and Bootle St James also Waterloo United and them training days always back to the pub. Always had lemmo

I have got lots of people to thank with regards to playing football in the street our Albie B Dougie H Freddie T Gerry B Billy K Brian B Henry B loads more that will come later.

Well then started playing in the YM remember the great days looking up to John Kelly Graham Headgerson Paul Mac Jimmy Russell Jimmy Duckworth Steve Platt and many more will name them later.

One player that should have made it was my good friend John Harris, great player and l played with him and his brother Charlie also my brother Albie in the same team great times

Well, l could go on with regards to this subject, l have met loads of ex-players from the JOC and a pleasure to meet them great players in them decades playing in the JOC.

Sadly, that once great league is now only part of history, being disbanded a couple of years ago, the memories of the great days should never be forgotten to the local teams and players.

What the kids of today have missed playing in the street looking up to the bigger lads in the street playing football well happy days

Bob, b

bob. b

Big thank you to this man done a lot for Football in Bootle Crosby Litherland will write more on this.
bob. b

Was having a drink in the strand with some of the family and this cracking lad asked if l could put this team back on.
So, Mick, it's back on had some connect with Billy Knowles John Gannon. That was a great team
Everyone looked at J Dry... Tommy was also a great player hard as nails on the pitch great to me.
John and Tommy were great to me a lot of respect to them both.

Bob. b
bob. b

Just need some input into this picture please

59 5 of our school team signed schoolboy forms for Coventry
Paul and Tony Cahill Steve Brinkley Paul Courtney and me
bob. b

bob. b

Sorry for the quality of the picture