EDEN VALE SCHOOL

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Pamsy

Looking for pic and info on this school in BREEZE HILL ......I think it was an old house?
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
Matt

Sorry no photo's Pamsy but I went to Eden Vale and it was an old ,huge house.I cannot remember at what age I went there but it was part of Christ Church School and you attended until you took the 11 plus.Mostly I remember just how cold it was in the winter and the lower floor front classroom was so noisy because of all the huge old transport trucks heading down Breeze Hill towards Millers Bridge and the docks.It was such a drab and dreary place.Every thing was a dark brown so bad in fact that in spring and early summer most of our lessons took place in the garden at the front and to hell with the traffic noise.
Matt
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
billygooner

hi pamsy and matt, I attended edan vale 1955-1957 then on to the bootle tec,i remember the big air raid shelter in the back playing fields, happy days :D :D :D . regards billy.
BOBHAMO

Billy where was it????
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Matt

Hi Bobhamo,Eden Vale was just about opposite to Christ Church and a little down from Christ Church Vicarage(Manse) on the opposite side of the road,just cannot remember if that was Merton Road or Breeze Hill but I certainly recall all those old transport trucks coming and going mostly with huge copper ingots or sacks of TOGY??? sugar.Must be getting real old :lol:
Hope Tommy can remember more but I do remember the air raid shelter in the back playground of the school Tommy and getting canned on my right hand because I could not hold a pen correctly.I was much later diagnosed as having acute scleroderma(unpliable skin and cannot straighten my fingers) in both hands and now also my feet.
Matt
Forshaw

Hi Pamsy.
Sorry no photos either . But I remember it well .
The playground must have been the old back garden . With the air raid shelter .
We used to have assembly in one of the huge front rooms which had big bay windows.
Pretty cold in winter but there was a front garden with flowers in the summer. Too
We used to stand out on the road and check the names of the groups on the side of the trucks coming down Breeze Hill from the East Lancs Road on the way to the docks . The lads used to record them in exercise books . That was in the days when heaps of the Worlds trade went through Liverpool.
Our classrooms were the lounge room or the old bedrooms . Nice school hey ?
filsgreen

Fascinating stuff, was the school, private?
Matt

Eden Vale was part of Christ Church Junior School.You went there when you were about 8 or 9 but I am not really sure about that.It was where you sat the 11 plus but you had to have been C of E to go there.Found out quite a few years later at the Boy's Grammar that I was actually Jewish.Father was C of E mother was Sephardic Jew.
Matt
Paul McCabe

Sadly I haven't got a photo of Eden Vale School either, only a question;

I notice from Bob's research (take a bow here 'Sherlock' Bob) that #6 on the right hand side of Breeze Hill, (ie; heading from the Roundabout towards The Mons pub), is occupied by "Christ Church Parochial Hall".

Question; Is this the location of Eden Vale school....??…..& did that building become BOOTLE YMCA in the early 1960's....??

Cheers,

P

BOBHAMO wrote:Image
bobhamo
filsgreen

Thanks Matt.
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Matt

Thanks Bobhamo for those directories.First time I have seen Dr. Chipping's name for years.Bit funny though Bob.One directory lists the Parochial Hall as being at # 6 Breeze Hill which I seem to remember as that location but another one lists it as being at # 14 Breeze Hill but then later listed as the YMCA as Paul thought???

Paul..the Parochial Hall must have been the old Eden Vale School as it is nearly opposite to Christ Church Vicarage but I believe Christ Church School corner of Park Street and Hawthorne Road became the YMCA.
Matt
Pamsy

THANK YOU for all the info...love you guys..... I created MERSEYSIDE SCHOOL DAYS on Facebook 5 yrs ago and it's History and pics of near 1,000 schools so far. I always post about this webpage and what brilliant people you are.
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
BOBHAMO

Matt the numbers change through the years some added some discarded
sometimes when looking for residents propertys are added so the numbers change
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Matt

Thanks Bob for the explanation.I should have realised that so many things, streets etcetera have changed in Bootle,heck I even got lost trying to find my way down to the Pier Head quite a few years ago :oops:
Matt
Forshaw

Amazing Bob.

Some of the names going up Breeze Hill . Jessie Carter that used to teach my eldest sister tap dancing .
Looks like Dr Hanlon Senior lived there too . It must have been his son who we went to in Hawthorne Road . He often told me he went to Christ Church School and Hawthorne Road School too . The one that used to be further down past Earl Road .
Further up Dr Stewart who was head Mistress at Bootle Grammar for girls . My dad told me the houses in Merton Road and Breeze Hill belonged to the well to do of Bootle .
Eden Vale must have housed someone with pots of money way back . Wish I’d researched it more when I was a kid .