Bootle Blitz Help please.

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
ALAMO2008

My Dad recounted to me twice in his life, what he did as a kid before being old enough to join up and be sent to India in 1944

Dad was never one to exaggerate or tell lies and rarely talked his War Experiences.

He stated very emotionally this story that obviously still gave him nightmares 60 odd years later.

He said he and his mate both aged about 15 were Cyclist Messengers responsible for taking Messages from Bootle Town Hall H Q to the Fire Brigade, who were out on call during an Attack, to change their Fire Priority.

On one occasion he came across an Ambulance full of injured and the two drivers had been killed by a blast.

He tried in vain to remove rubble from a baby's mouth that was choking but it died in his arms.
He jumped in the Ambulance and without ever had a driving lesson he drove it to to Hospital.

He said he was up for a Bravery Award but they gave it instead to his friend (Posthumously) as he was killed that night.
He couldn't remember his name, sadly.
I will be back in Liverpool Library next week and intend to go through the List of Civilian War Dead for Bootle.

Does anyone have any ideas where I could also look to find out more on this story.

Is there a list anywhere of Awards given in WW2 to Civilians ?

Any help or suggestions , greatly appreciated.
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

There is such a list through Google but from my knowledge I feel that there are hundreds who don't get a mention.
ALAMO2008

Someone sent me to this helpful link.

http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/awards1941.html
ALAMO2008

Thanks everyone.
jimmyocx3

ALAMO2008 wrote:Thanks everyone.
No problem, please us updated on your progress, :D
ALAMO2008

I think the Messenger in my Dad's story may have been, Leo Broadbridge of the Auxiliary Fire Service listed in the awards.
Perhaps he didn't die.
Perhaps that was my embellishment from a very old memory.
Anyway Anna of Windfall Films Channel 5 wanted more proof.
Wonder if Leo still alive?
jimmyocx3

ALAMO2008 wrote:I think the Messenger in my Dad's story may have been, Leo Broadbridge of the Auxiliary Fire Service listed in the awards.
Perhaps he didn't die.
Perhaps that was my embellishment from a very old memory.
Anyway Anna of Windfall Films Channel 5 wanted more proof.
Wonder if Leo still alive?
Hi, it seems as if Leo was from the south end of Liverpool.
https://postimg.cc/ftPBXPrG
ALAMO2008

Came across a VHS video of my Dad and Mum on holiday in South Wales at ours talking after a meal about the War.
Dad stated he was on Fire Messenger Duty with Sonny Ross in the Walkers Mission when the Bryant & May Factory across the road was Hit during the Blitz raid.

It seems he knew Sonny Ross before Dad had met my Mum in 1943 and she grew up off Marsh Street Kirkdale from 1925 with neighbour Sonny Ross.
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Sonny Ross was a well known character in Bootle and tales of his life are well documented on this site. I believe Bernie R may have been quite close family wise.

I lived through the Blitz and remember a lot about it but it comes back to mind very quickly when I see/hear bomb explosions on the tele. We watched Silent Witness last night and some explosion scenes from that really brought some bad memories back. To talk of it is so much better than was the actual experience.

Brexit talk is that we will be running short of fresh food in the event of no deal. That is how it was for six plus years in the war. Good news is that there were few obese people due to enforced diet from food rationing and that is a plus if food becomes limited again.
bob. b

:D :D :D :D
GillNY

We’re from Roby St (Gills) and Bridle Rd (Norths), dads side and mums side. As well as the docks which got constantly hammered from 1940, ramdom stray bombs were dropped everywhere in Bootle by the Luftwaffe. My mum’s house was carpet bombed in Irlam rd. She’s still traumatised by it and she’s 81 as the family had no home that night. Everyone from that time remembers the Rialto on Strand Rd. being totally wiped out. Both mum and dad’s families talked about it. Everytime I was on the 55 bus he’d point to the spot. There was a bank or building society last time I was there. I think the bombing is why we’re still a bit nutz meself. :)
Dan

Haven't got as far as the May 1941 Blitz yet, but this is from the September 27 1940 Bootle Times.

Names of streets and buildings bombed were not reported .

WatsonTommy

my father was dock stevedore and also had to do fight watch he WAS HICKEY THE FIRE BOBBY as his nick name was hickey