Bootle Bands 80's - to present

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Shelagh

Great B/W photos Mac, didn't realise you were an eighties musician... Looks like you had a lot of fun creating that album...
Loads of good music around at that time,, good bands such as "O.M.D" "Lotus eaters" and "China Crisis" also liked local bands "The Farm" and "Up and Running"...
Good music never dates, still so many talented musicians around today!!
bob. b

Keith Big thanks for that you are a star been looking for that one there are some others out there as well.

Big thank you Keith and thanks for the P M mate. Regards Bob b
bob. b

Dixie Eddie and Danny The name of the Group Kruzads
bob. b

A poster from them days :D :D
Mack
Site Admin

Shelagh wrote:Great B/W photos Mac, didn't realise you were an eighties musician... Looks like you had a lot of fun creating that album...
Loads of good music around at that time,, good bands such as "O.M.D" "Lotus eaters" and "China Crisis" also liked local bands "The Farm" and "Up and Running"...
Good music never dates, still so many talented musicians around today!!
Hiya Sheeeelaaa,

Yes... Defo excellent times for Liverpool bands back in the 80's. OMG We were taking over the charts back then with Liverpool bands like "Echo and the Bunnymen", "Wah", "Teardrop Expoldes" - NB these guys who set up the bands back then had a band called "The Crucial 3". Then there was "Dead or Alive" Pete Burns, the original meister of gender bending before Boy George - the spat still continues on who started it first and who done it better. "Frankie Goes to Hollywood" and Holly Johnson. "Flock of Seagulls", Cook da Books, "Dalek I Love You", "Half Man Half Biscuit" ... the list could go on and on :)...

Great stuff :D :D :D

Mack :)

BTW... noticed we are going slightly off thread regarding the original topic "Bootle Bands 80's - to present ". That is ok though and everything is cool. Lets talk music :wink:
Shelagh

Started something now Mac, had forgotten how many talented musicians and singers we had back in the eighties,, strange how most of the chart toppers at the time came from this city...
So much going on at the time, wonder what became of all those talented Liverpool lads!!
Not wishing to go off topic again but one of the bands you mentioned "Half Man Half Biscuit"
caused me to have many a laugh whilst listening to some of their lyrics, especially liked "Paintballs Coming Home" thought it was so funny and so perceptive of people..mind you, all their songs were a bit quirky and amusing.. glad to say they're one of the many bands who never faded and are still performing today!
Remember loads of Bootle bands playing at the North Park every year, a chance to showcase their music, some were great, and some just making a hell of a racket!
But kids in the area enjoyed, and loved going to those music fests, don't suppose there's anything like that anymore..
Only talent the public get to see these day's are the odd busker around Liverpool city centre!!
Shelagh K.
bob. b

BTW... noticed we are going slightly off thread regarding the original topic "Bootle Bands 80's - to present ". That is ok though and everything is cool. Lets talk music :wink:

Mack forgive me but in days in the 1960s them bands influenced all the 80's groups and helped local lads getting started in music :wink: :wink: :wink:

Lets look back on the local scene in the pubs in the 1950s and 1960s music everywhere helped all the local singers and they play music everywhere in the local pubs.

For me l can not sing a word but my brother was excellent no lessons mate but made it and he was good

Mack so many made it and so many do not but they never forget the music
l for one love the pub scene and the local music it's all gone mate. WHY .

Regards Bob
Last edited by bob. b on Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonesy

Bob thats got to be you or your brother at the front of photo.

Keith
GillNY

Waving At Trains

Main: Paul Hobday - great guitarist (Charvel thru a Mesa Boogie), great guy- lived over the water in Cheshire, recently passed away)
1.Colin McNeil - drums - Bedford Rd
Main: 2 Steve Ashton - drums/recordings - NWales
Main:3 Gary Gilmurray - Tama drums/live - Southport Rd
1. Trevor Reganski - bass - Kirkby
Main: 2 Paul Shields - bass - guit - Ballantyne Grove
Main: Paul Gill - Fender bass - Juno 60/keys TR808 - Vox - Almond Avenue

We raided Hesseys in town one day for gear, and I took me dads work van over the country when we did gigs. Never realised why we stank of paint and wood filler on stage.

Active throughout 80s. Firehouse gigs (Idris,Bob) pubs & clubs all over merseyside. Recorded at Amazon, (Prod. Mark Phythian) Kirkby. Rehearsed at rat infested Vulcan St Studio. :)

Played with Tony Griffiths (early Real People) , John Murphy (w/ JMurphy for John Lennon memorial - steps of St. Georges Hall, Lime St), and in various other permutations/bands. Spud Murphy had the first fretless bass in Seaforth. :) Been listening to Paco.

Good times in a fun city. Me, still playing professionally in US. NYC, Charlotte, Richmond, East coast + me banjo. Miss the scran, the footie - Blue Nose (Main Stand) with me dad and a ‘75 ticket holder Kopite (with me mates). Miss our scouse humour and the lager beer in Liverpool.
Last edited by GillNY on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BOBHAMO

Good Record
played it on utube
going rate on ebay £30 :D :D :D
get your copys out
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
GillNY

Ha!

With Steve on drums. Excellent!
billygooner

hi gang, my wife did the clubs from 1961-1968, she used the name Vicki lane her group was the moonlighters. (Happy days). where have all the clubs gone. regards billy.
Dan

Bootle Times October 23 1986. Ultimate Vision.

Regards

Dan
Mack
Site Admin

My old mates :D

Good stuff.

Mack
Dan

Bootle Times September 22 1988

I've even included the Top Ten, pop pickers.

Regards

Dan
bob. b

Arthur Patterson and Danny Bell Falcons Litherland Hall or St John's
Dan

Regards

Dan
filsgreen

Does anyone remember a band called whykickamoocow from the 80s? They used to play Soul and Philly in the Lousey House. I to love them, they covered stuff by Percy Sledge and Wilson Pickett.
Dan

July 21 1988

Regards

Dan
Dan

August 18 1988

Image Image

Regards

Dan
Dan

April 20 1989

Regards

Dan
Dan

July 27 1989

Regards

Dan
shieldsy

GillNY wrote:Waving At Trains

Main: Paul Hobday - great guitarist (Charvel thru a Mesa Boogie), great guy- lived over the water in Cheshire, recently passed away)
1.Colin McNeil - drums - Bedford Rd
Main: 2 Steve Ashton - drums/recordings - NWales
Main:3 Gary Gilmurray - Tama drums/live - Southport Rd
1. Trevor Reganski - bass - Kirkby
Main: 2 Paul Shields - bass - guit - Ballantyne Grove
Main: Paul Gill - Fender bass - Juno 60/keys TR808 - Vox - Almond Avenue

We raided Hesseys in town one day for gear, and I took me dads work van over the country when we did gigs. Never realised why we stank of paint and wood filler on stage.

Active throughout 80s. Firehouse gigs (Idris,Bob) pubs & clubs all over merseyside. Recorded at Amazon, (Prod. Mark Phythian) Kirkby. Rehearsed at rat infested Vulcan St Studio. :)

Played with Tony Griffiths (early Real People) , John Murphy (w/ JMurphy for John Lennon memorial - steps of St. Georges Hall, Lime St), and in various other permutations/bands. Spud Murphy had the first fretless bass in Seaforth. :) Been listening to Paco.

Good times in a fun city. Me, still playing professionally in US. NYC, Charlotte, Richmond, East coast + me banjo. Miss the scran, the footie - Blue Nose (Main Stand) with me dad and a ‘75 ticket holder Kopite (with me mates). Miss our scouse humour and the lager beer in Liverpool.
hey gilly, it's shieldsy :). Stumbled on this page quite freakishly when doing a google for something unrelated but hey what are the odds :)

Still doing music stuff too (ahem, I was lead guitar in some bands and not bass). Can't leave it really can you.

Here are some pics from around the time period you talked about

you, Murphy, Colin, me - I reckon around 1980

the spot we did at St George's Hall the week after Lennon died - you on left, spud in middle, and me on right

Earlier pic - me, spud and you (Colin the drummer in the middle)

Real shame about Paul Hobday :(. Outstanding musician.

Hope you're keeping well.

Paul
Bonesy

Some local talent here, can you name any.

Keith
Dan

Bonesy wrote:Some local talent here, can you name any.

Keith
Bigger picture

1964. Ready Steady Go's Rave Mad Mod Ball at The Empire Pool, Wembley. Keith Fordyce, centre. Cathy MacGowan between Tony Crane(Merseybeats) and Billy J Kramer.

Bands; Stones, Searchers, Manfred Mann, Merseybeats, Fourmost, Billy J Kramer and The Dakotas, Freddie and The Dreamers, Sounds Incorporated.

Individuals; Cilla, Kathy Kirby, Kenny Lynch.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Shieldsy's pictures enlarged.

Regards

Dan
Mack
Site Admin

Some great piccys and articles showing up here.

Cheers everyone :D

Here is an old one from 1988 of myself and Paul Whelan here at Art in Action in 1988 in the Weekly Star...

BTW there is a new album coming out very soon with a load of a load of Liverpool bands from this era on the Audio Visual label set up by my good old friend Ken Kelly.

Mack :D

Also check out this link to old video archive I put together... the quality is fuzzy... it's ancient old VHS stuff... 1980's Bootle kids, Worcester Road, Bootle Strand, Dock Road going to the pub, Porter Street, SADOL - Yellow House, Red Wedge, Paul Weller visit, Beaver workshops Strand Road - now demolished - band rehearsals...

Some old VHS archive from back in the day...

https://vimeo.com/livetx?fbclid=IwAR0-u ... v1i4Y1ECkQ

Bonesy

Mack in the early eighties we used to go to Rudis in Cumberland St, Liverpool.
Great band every Tuesday, Herbie Pops Out.

Keith
Mack
Site Admin

Just set up a couple of new sites on Twitter and Blogger about my old band LIVE Transmission. A couple of Bootle lads from Liverpool growing up in the 1980's making music, art, sculpture, photography and film.

Peter McVeigh and Paul Whelan - Live Transmission.

https://live-transmission-liverpool.blogspot.com

https://twitter.com/LiveTransmissi2

https://vimeo.com/livetx

https://www.youtube.com/user/LiveTXuk

Bit of old history with this... It all started off on the Dock Road in an old Warehouse in Porter Street 1985 SADOL set up by George McKane getting young people involved in the arts and music. Then moved to Strand Road in the now demolished building Beaver Workshop's then on to Art in Action in Bootle, Stanley Road... After this then on to Worcester Road Bootle - the community Centre. So much history after this too including Yellow House and the Bootle YMCA.

Mack :wink:
henry

I remember seeing Billy J Kramer and the Dakota's on the little stage in Bootle children's club run by May Logan in Marsh Lane about 1958/60
It must have been one of their first gigs before they became famous
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
Mack
Site Admin

Reinforcements - Andy, Bug and Bruce rehearsing in their secret bunker 1985 SADOL days.

Photo was taken at a warehouse located in Porter Street, Dock Road, Liverpool, 1985.

SADOL changed its name to Yellow House after moving location.

You can view the current Yellow House website here (still supporting young people) https://www.yellowhouse.info
Matt

Think your 1958 time is just about correct Henry.I used to go to Ash Street youth club until I joined the Navy
on Paddy's Day 1959 and so did Billy J but all of the girls at the club knew all about him and when he came into the club you couldn't
even get a look in :lol: :lol: That would be in 1958 when I was working in the moulding room at Dunlops on Rice Lane.
Matt
Dan

Eric's 1979

1980's Royal Court

Posters for Marillion, Thompson Twins and Howard Jones.

Bit early, but one from July 10 1975.

filsgreen

What a great month at Erics, Dan, with all those "new" bands cutting their teeth there. :D
Dan

1980 Local gig guide.