Edward and Margaret Moffatt- sons Charles, Edward, George

Find Bootle friends and family here
francesca

I'm looking for any information at all about my great great grandparents Edward and Margaret Moffatt. Their sons were Charles, (my great grandfather born 1868- he moved to America and married Margaret Cummings) Edward (born 1861) and George (1864.) They were Roman Catholics but there are so many churches in Bootle I have no idea which one they attended.

I'll be coming to Bootle in July but would love to have at least some of the legwork done. I have no census information and since I'm in America I'm not even sure where to look.

If one of you knows which way to direct me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks so much,

Francesca
lily8

Hello Francesca and welcome, first of all what if any documentation do you have to substantiate the names and dob's?? I have had a check today and turned up little except a possible merchant seaman link for Charles whose address was given just as Bootle. Located him in US census but only gives England as pob. A search of the free BMD database shows only a few possibles in the greater Liverpool area none with a matching mother maiden name.Due to the possible misspelling ie Mofat, Muffat, Mofitt etc hard to trace I have a family in 1871 but no connection to Bootle whatsoever but will list here for possible elimination:::

1871 England Census

Name
Charles Moffatt
Estimated Birth Year
abt 1869
Relation
Son
Father's Name
Edward Moffatt
Mother's Name
Margaret Moffatt
Where born
St Luke, Middlesex, England
Civil parish
St Luke
County/Island
London
Country
England
Registration district
Holborn
Sub-registration district
Whitecross Street
ED, institution, or vessel
Household schedule number
Piece
Folio
Page number
Household Members
Name
Edward Moffatt
Name
Margaret Moffatt
Name
Edward Moffatt
Name
George Moffatt
Name
Charles Moffatt
If you do have any docs that would help greatly, kind regards
Lily
BOBHAMO

Hi Lily have all the census 71 ,81 ,91 ,1901
and the moffat family are still in london
edward was a shoe maker
Charles the son went to new york in 1892
and married maggie 4 children by 1900
but will wait for your inquiry
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
lily8

Hi Bob yes I followed that family right through but held off as it seems our poster is looking at a Bootle connection hopefully she may be able to provide a bit more.
Lily
francesca

You are all amazing!

It turns out his boat left from Bootle and that's why I thought he was from there.

Yes Charles went to America and married Margaret Cummings in New York.

His father Edward was a shoemaker.

Here's the problem: I keep going to the National Archives website and enter in Charles and Edward and Margaret etc. to no avail. I can find no birth certificates for any of them, only that 1871 census.

If any of you know another place to look, please let me know. I'm only in England for four days. I'm going to try not to waste my time.

Thank you so much! I know i have English relatives out there but I sure don't know where to find them.

Francesca
francesca

I found my great grandfather Charles Moffatt born in Bootle in 1865 to Owen and Bridget Moffatt. They then moved to 310 New Chester Road in 1881.

Thanks so much for all the help. Hopefully I'll find some relatives now!

Francesca Piantadosi