Regent Road showing Union Cold Storage Co, 1978

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Bill fawcett

Good one Joe, never seen that before.

Bill
fatboyjoe90

The same here Bill, they must've worked hard getting loads to there destinations back in the day. :wink: :D
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Riverside Station, with Prince’s Parade on the left Oct 1967. :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

The 'Royal Iris' at the Landing Stage in the 1970s. The Sandcastle Building and the Daily Post and Echo Offices are both under construction in the background. :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Clarence Dock Power Station with only two chimneys built with the overhead Railway, Running along the side of it 1950s. :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.
Gardner 180

fatboyjoe90 wrote:Riverside Station, with Prince’s Parade on the left Oct 1967. :wink: :)

Joe, Another great picture bringing back memories for me. The van in the centre of the picture with ladders on its roof
is a "Minivan" of "Post Office Telephones", what we know now as BT. The little van to the left looks like a Simca, which
I think was part of Renault of France. I sailed to the Isle Of Man from this location a couple of times in the 1950s with my
primary school, which was Joseph Williams County Primary at Sunnyfield Road, Belle Vale, we were the "Prefab" kids.
Kind Regards, Ray.
fatboyjoe90

Ray, once again thanks for your wonderful knowledge, of all the makes of the vehicles and the history of them.

:wink: :D :D Image
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Huge teams of women were employed in the Gladstone dock where the massive ships were docked for scrubbing, and an entire day was spent loading each vessel with tonnes of coal using the railway wagons that ran to and from the stores. :wink: :)

The perfect precision with which each vessel was prepared to depart for New York was something Cunard became well known for, their efficient and orderly practices guaranteed perfection at every step. :wink: :)
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Ranelagh Street Central Station, and the Bighouse in the background 1956. :wink: :D

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Brunswick Grain Terminal on Sefton Street 2.9.1968. This is posted with the kind permission of Ged Fegen of Liverpoolinacityliving. :wink: :D

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

A section of the Mersey Tunnel at Stanton Ironworks, in Ilkeston Derbyshire. No date :wink: :D :D

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Junction of Water Street with The Strand and Goree in 1948, looking down from the Liver Building with a tram passing underneath the Overhead, which has a southbound train pulling out of Pier-head Station. :wink: :D

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Chisenhale Street and the Bridge Pub was known locally as the fly house. Because it used to attract the little pests as the local Tate and Lyle workers frequented the pub with sugar on their shoes. :wink: :D

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Manchester Street gridlocked just look at all those buses. The queues for the tunnel and the Old Haymarket is at a standstill.1960s :wink: :D

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Lord Street Liverpool 1960s :wink: :D

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

The Glass House Pub, Vauxhall Road 1967. :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.
Gardner 180

Joe, Thanks for this picture of Vauxhall Road and the Glass House. It brings back so many memories.
I left School (Toxteth Technical Institute) in the summer of 1960, and in September of that year, I started
my apprenticeship as a Motor Vehicle Mechanic in the Transport Section of North Western Gas Board.
The building to the left of the Glass House pub was the Gas Board vehicle maintenance workshop .
The entrance was toward the top of the building on Bond Street, and the exit was the doorway that can
be seen on Vauxhall Road. The number of people regularly employed there was about 30, and quite a
few of them lived up your way, Bootle, Litherland, Walton, etc. The names that I can remember are:

George Howell, General Manager. White Coat
Ted Lee, Assistant Manager, White Coat.
Alf Burnett, Foreman, Brown Coat.
Barbara xxxxxx, Lady in the office.

Vehicle Mechanics:
Walter Burnett....Les Aspinall....Jim Peterson
Peter Swinburne....Billy Williams....Les Titherington
Tom Kelly....Tom Keegan....Tommy Jervis....Tommy Plimley
Ronnie Chadburn

Motor Cycle Mechanics:
Jimmy Johnstone....Joe Johnstone....Bob Parker.

Auto Electrician:
Ken xxxxxx

Storekeeper:
Ron King

Cleaners:
Arthur Roberts....Billy.....

Greaser:
Jimmy Morgan

Sevice Van Driver:
Sid Banks

There are a few more whose faces I can see, but cant recall their names right now, almost 50 years have gone by since then. Cheers, Ray Smyth.
Gardner 180

fatboyjoe90 wrote:The Glass House Pub, Vauxhall Road 1967. :wink: :)

Further to my post about this picture, From memory, just to the left of this picture, next to
the Gas Board building was a papershop and another Walkers pub, "The Green Man",
on the corner of Burlington Street.
Ray Smyth.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for your comments Ray, it gives the photos a little story to them. You've got fantastic memories of your past, your head must be full knowledge you should write it all down and start writing a book. :wink: :D :D
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Old Haymarket looking towards Byrom 1928. :wink: :D

Cheers Joe.
Matt

Don't think it was 1928 Joe mate.Cars and buses look a little more modern than that plus the tunnel toll booths :lol:
Ray my dad worked out of Radiant House in Bold Street until they opened a NWGB office and showroom on Stanley Road then he rejoined the RAF in 1958.
Used to love meeting him after work on a Friday night and he would take us (mum and me) to La Bussola Italian Restaurant just down from Radiant House.My mother went to an Italian Convent school in Egypt and the owners just loved her because she could order the food in fluent Italian and even know what we were having to eat !!
Matt
Gardner 180

fatboyjoe90 wrote:Thanks for your comments Ray, it gives the photos a little story to them. You've got fantastic memories of your past, your head must be full knowledge you should write it all down and start writing a book. :wink: :D :D
Joe, Thank you for your kind remarks, More things have come to mind since I posted the comments above.
I mentioned Alf Burnett (Foreman) and Walter Burnett (Mechanic), they were brothers, and I recall that they
had a brother who was a professional footballer...possibly a goalkeeper. Despite being born and raised
in Liverpool, my football knowledge is almost nil, perhaps some Forum members with football info from the
50s and 60s may recall Mr Burnett, football player. I think the Burnetts were from Bootle or thereabouts.

Another Gas Board memory that has a Bootle connection is, when a Gas Board van or lorry needed bodywork
repair, or a repaint, we sent them to James Welsh (Vehicle Bodybuilders & Coachpainters), somewhere in
Bootle. Welsh may have been spelt Welch, not sure. Best Regards, Ray.

PS Old Haymarket above is about 1965. :) :wink:
filsgreen

I would think it was about 1968, as St John's Beacon opened in 1969.
john j connell

Gardner 180 wrote:
fatboyjoe90 wrote:Thanks for your comments Ray, it gives the photos a little story to them. You've got fantastic memories of your past, your head must be full knowledge you should write it all down and start writing a book. :wink: :D :D
Joe, Thank you for your kind remarks, More things have come to mind since I posted the comments above.
I mentioned Alf Burnett (Foreman) and Walter Burnett (Mechanic), they were brothers, and I recall that they
had a brother who was a professional footballer...possibly a goalkeeper. Despite being born and raised
in Liverpool, my football knowledge is almost nil, perhaps some Forum members with football info from the
50s and 60s may recall Mr Burnett, football player. I think the Burnetts were from Bootle or thereabouts.

The only player i can come up with who was a goalkeeper (spelt differently) is Geoff Barnett, he played for Everton in the mid 60s and he would be in his early 70s now. JJC.
BOBHAMO

John there was a George Burnett one of 3 brothers Alf , Wally
from litherland he jioned everton just after the war but could not oust
Ted sager, played 47 times for everton
and 100 oldham played in the 1950 fa cup against liverpool
moved to the wirral run a pub :D :D
but moved back to bootle Somerset road
the brothers played for bootle
born 1920
from the tommy barnes the bootle connection book
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
john j connell

Nice one Bob, i am sure that will be the person Ray was referring to, (just a bit before my introduction to the blues) .JJC.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for pointing out the wrong date on Old Haymarket post, Matt, Ray and Phil, it was 1968. I must concentrate more on my postings. :wink: :D
Cheers Joe.
Matt

Hi Joe It isn't a big deal getting the year wrong just you keep putting those old photo's on,Sheila and myself LOVE them.For me it is the Liverpool I know and recognize(only been back maybe 6 times since I emigrated in1968)but for Sheila,who used to go back very year until both her parents passed away,it is seeing what changes have taken place year by year.
Sheila and Matt
fatboyjoe90

Cheers Matt, for your reassurance in me, it doesn't bother me too much and it's good to see others letting me I know when I get it wrong they keep me on my toes thanks, guys. :lol: :wink:
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

New Brighton Beach 1950s. :wink: :) :D

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

William Brown Street 1948. :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Great Homer Street, Holden’s Potato Hut, no date. :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

A Foggy Pier-head in 1962. :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Victoria Street Post office 1963, now it's the Met Quarter :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Repairing Bomb Damage, to the Tunnel Ventilation Shaft 1940s 1950s. :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.