Conway Street and St James'

Find Bootle friends and family here
babs toole

sorry di forgot to tell you charlie knew your nan when i showed him the photy ,if maries brothers or sisters are still going they will remeber our charlie if you see any of them ask them.
Barb
runningran

Hi Babs
Did you ask your charlie if he remembered me

Eileen , Johnnys daughter from Edinburgh close
babs toole

hya ei ,charlie remembers every one i forgot to mention you sorryyyyyyy do you ever come down to dodge ? was out with chas last night been at christning in toxteth ,i dont know if you remember the monks they lived in rochester ave .any way how are the family?margie lorraine,ok get back soon xx
Barb
Diane

babs toole wrote:hy di,your dad must be arond my age or i,m a bit older than him, he would,nt remeber the muncaster pub if he was,nt from marsh lane ,i,m sorry to hear marie passed away! is any of her family still going ?any brothers or sisters, do any of them live in bootle ?sorry about thinking josie and harry were you relations ,different family all together must be alzimmens kicking in ha ha lol. where abouts are you living ?sorry about spelling that,s what becomes of going to st james ha ha .keep in touch di.
All Marie's siblings are alive and well, I speak to Joan very occasionally and I will come up and visit very soon, not sure if they are in Bootle itself, certainly the merseyside area for Ann and Joan. Not sure where Tommy is though, and the last I heard Jimmy was in London. I am also in sporadic contact with one of Marie's lad's, Ian.

I live in a village in North Essex so a little way away, though I did go up to Liverpool to see Ringo at the opening of the Echo arena, last year. Always get a 'coming home' feeling despite never having lived there myself. I think the pull of Liverpool is similar to the pull of Ireland, so no matter how many generations away you are it's still there.
babs toole

hya smokey,you seem to know a lot about the lane did you come from there?iv,e notice you have answerd a lot of things on the site i feel i may know you ,where did you live ?and what is your name ?if you dont want to put here, put it on my pm.wait to hear you .
Barb
Bootle Lad

Hi Diane
when you are sending a PM to somebody make sure you put a subject in the column, I had the same problem myself
Regards Ray
Arrived in New Zealand in 1964 to get away from the cold winters of the early 60's. Now residing in Pakuranga, Auckland.
GeorgeW

Hi Dianne, I went to St James school with Jimmy Tafe. We both left in 1956 which means we were both born in 1941. Jimmy's grandmother Mrs Tafe lived in Conway St just a few doors away from my family. Mrs Tafe worked for a time at the Pioneer Laundry in Crosby. My Mother also worked there and remembers Mrs Tafe having an accident when a window pane fell onto her head. The son who lived with Mrs Tafe Used to go rifle shooting at Altcar shooting range in Formby.
Coincidently, 1956 was the year we all started moving to Netherton and the demolition of Conway Street began. The beginning of the end of an era.
Diane

George thank you so much for that info. I love hearing little snippets of their lives. It's those memeories that really make family history.
Joe was the son that lived with his mum, a lovely man and a great banjo player.

I will pass the info onto my Dad. Again many many thanks.

Bootle lad: thank you for your help with pms. I didn't get an email regarding your post so was not aware of it, apologies for the delay in replying.
PeteH

A bit late now, but if you spot this, its a question for you George. Just wondering if the Pioneer Laundry in Crosby was located where the Pioneer Bar is now? There was also a Pioneer Soft Furnishing shop on the site before the bar. Sounds like a no-brainer but there was another laundry more recently, further along Endbutt Lane. One of my aunts married the owners son back in the '50s.
IRENE H

Hi Peteh I worked in the pioneer Laundry when I left school, it was never on the site were the bar is now, It was around the corner just past the shops opposite the school in endbutt lane. hope that helps Irene x
Your never fully dressed without a smile
Sheelagh Tequila

Irene. my Mam worked there when i was about 12 so you could have worked with her too :D I think your working your way through my whole family

Sheelagh x
PeteH

Thanks Irene, thats really interesting. Was it really as far down as the school? Looking at Google street view I can see that the last shop is Squires hairdresser then some relatively recent houses. Was it sited where the houses are now, opposite the school. There is an older brick wall there that looks like it might pre-date the houses?

Cheers

I'm interested by the way because my aunt 'Betty' Halsall who died recently, worked there in the 1950s-1960s, met her husband Eric Turner there.
IRENE H

Hi Peter, Yes your right they built houses there on the former sight, I Left school 1962/63 so I think it was possibly1964 I worked there I Worked on the sheets & Handkerchiefs but it was a great place , Had lots of lovely friends who I met there . At the weekends we all went for drinks in the Crosby comrades club Only left so I could get better money in Johnsons dye works take care Irene x PS Not sure if I remember your relatives but only a few lads worked there in the factory they would be on the washing machines ,, do you have any pictures ?
Your never fully dressed without a smile
PeteH

Thanks Irene,
Ill have a look for a picture near the time. They got married in 1960.
So I guess that old brick wall thats there is part of some old yard or something.

Odd that so many enterprises on that road are called 'Pioneer' - must be some reason for that!

Pete
bjones

Hi Peter, I'm pretty sure that Fairfiled sheltered housing development is built on what was the Pioneer site in 1981/82. Fairfield continues into The Precincts and what is now the Gt Crosby RC Primary school (formerly Sts Peter & Paul's primary) on the opposite side of that street. There is a second school further down Endbutt Lane; Sacred Heart High School; are you perhaps trying to place the Laundry opposite that school?

Although I moved to the Northern Rd in 1978 and regularly walked up the Precinct to the Endbutt Lane shops I can't for the life of me remember what was on the Pioneer site before the building work started. Pioneer Furnishing on the corner of Endbutt and Liverpool Rd was there since Adam was a lad and I'm pretty sure it was named for the laundry. The bar took it's name from the former occupant.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
bjones

Thanks Bob, that confirms what I thought. Presumably "Westholme and Southlands were properties adjacent to the Pioneer and the Fairfields development covers the site of all three. The "new" Gt Crosby R.C. school was indeed built on the former Merchant Taylors playing field.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
PeteH

Thats fascinating, thanks folks. I didn't know great Crosby Primary School (my kids went there) was built on Merchants Taylors land either. The one little quiz left in this is why the name 'Pioneer' turns up so often in this road, perhaps as posted earlier in this thread, Pioneer Furnishing was also owned by the laundry family? Seems too much of a coincidence not to mean something!

Thanks again

Pete
smigger72

Diane wrote:Hi
Long shot but I wondered if anyone has any photos of Conway street? This was one the 'welsh sisters' roads that ran indirectly off Marsh lane. Also any other details on when the houses were built etc.

My gt grandparents lived there until the houses were demolished, and I believe my gt gt grandparents prior to that. [At least from 1916] My Grandmother was brought up there with her 3 brothers, and my father also has fond memories of visiting as a child. The house in question was number 42.

I believe the family would have attended St James' church so any info on there would be great too. Was there possibly a school attached to the church? And are baptismal records available anywhere?

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read and hope I've posted this in the right section. :)
Hi Diane, there's an image of Conway Street on the Sefton Archives. https://www.sefton-digital-archive.org/ ... eet-bootle