What Church in Kirkdale

Find Bootle friends and family here
lincsmo

My mum was born in Macbeth St was wondering what RC Church would she have been baptised in St Alexander’s or St Richard not sure were to get her baptism certificate she was born in 1912 her name is Elizabeth Dalzell
Bernie R

That would have been St. Richards.

Mind you, as St Alex parish is gone now (all industrial sites) the 2 were combined as St Richard and Alexander, operating out of what was formerly St. Richard's church.

Hope this helps

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
lincsmo

Thanks Bern where would I write to, to get a baptism certificate
ALAMO2008

Hope to be at Liverpool Library at the weekend again, can look at baptism microfilm then and get screenprint , it will be in latin. = Casson
Bernie R

Hopefully Alamo can sort you out.

There are several 'genies' on the site who can advise on getting such documents. I only knew about the parishes and churches as I was born and raised 2 streets away from Macbeth, in Romeo Street; so my circumstances would be similar to your Mum's.

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
ALAMO2008

ALAMO2008 wrote:Hope to be at Liverpool Library at the weekend again, can look at baptism microfilm then and get screenprint , it will be in latin. MOTHERS NAME = Casson
ALAMO2008

Do you want an actual Baptism. Cert. ? Or will the Church. Log entries do?

Baptisms are normally a few days or weeks after Birth but sometimes years after and sometimes done at same time as a later sibling.
It can also be in a Church of England church, even when family RC ,it can also be in both weeks apart.
Sometimes it was not in the local church but in another further away that was more fashionable at the time.
I have 3 Baptisms in my Tree which took place months before the Registered Birth date on the Birth Cert.
The Priest didnt get his date wrong in the Baptism Log Register but the Mother took her time going to register the Births and had she given the true date of birth pre baptism she would have been fined.
So she gave a date of the week before registration months after the Baptism as the Birth date.
Her surname McKay was recorded differently each time as McKey McKee and McCoy when asked how you spell the surname she replied don"t know and made her X
lincsmo

Alamo it would be great if you can look up the baptism. My mums name is Elizabeth Dalzell her mum name is Agnes Ann Casson
Mack
Site Admin

Hiya,

Moved this over to our 'Looking For' section.
philrob

Just out of interest I googles "Agnes Ann Casson" and got some interesting hits.

I do not know whether they are relevant to you but it might be worth a try.

Good luck!
Philrob

Western Australia
lily8

Nice one Al hope you find something I couldn't find any baptisms on line for Elizabeth or any of her siblings the family were living at 42 Langton road Litherland in 1911:::: listed as Dalzall.

Agnes Ann Dalzall
[Agnes Ann Dalzell]
Age in 1911:
Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1884
Relation to Head:
Head
Birth Place:
Kirkdale, Lancashire, England
Civil Parish:
Litherland
Lancashire
England
Street address:
42 Langton Road Litherland
Marital Status:
Married
Husband not listed perhaps working away.
Joseph son born 1907, Mary daughter born 1908 and Agnes ann daughter born 1911.
Lily
Thommos sister

Gr8 find Lily!! Hubby was John T and Agnes A was nee Casson wed 1903. He's listed in 1911 Gores/Kelly's at the address which was probably done in 1910. T.S :D
lincsmo

You all have found my family, on 1911 census my grandfather was away at sea.
I don’t think any RC Baptism from 1900 are on the web
Thank you all for you help
Jan

Hi lincsmo,

The records for St Alexander's church were all destroyed in WW2 when the church was bombed.

So if it was St Alexander's for a baptism, there are no records now.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
lincsmo

Thanks Jan for letting me no about St Alexander’s Church
ALAMO2008

Trip back to Liverpool a few days later than planned but got there in the end.

Sadly the records for St Richards and St Alexanders have apparently not survived or are available at Liverpool Archive Library see attached list - only those Churches with an Asterisk have Records held in the Archive Library.

As stated even RC religion had Baptisms at C Of E or even Both and not always area on residence, often the most fashionable Churches of the time in the belief that this increased the child's chance of survival.
I checked St. Albans RC and St Mary's Kirkdale COE and St Peter's COE Church St also for weeks after sadly no luck.
Baptisms could be years later or even not at all.

Tried Gores Directory but only half the street the odds listed presume the half in Bootle over the Boundary and held in Crosby Library.

Did find Elizabeth Dalzell Birth Dec 1912 West Derby Vol 8b page 806 Mother Casson
and 1939 Register at 202 Fernhill Rd Bootle when she Married an Owen Kelly Sep 1937 Bootle Vol 8b page 37

Is there a reason why you want the Baptism Record ?

Do you need any other help re her life ?

Alamo
ALAMO2008

Further enquiries at Liverpool Library Archive, Library Researcher stated that although St. RICHARDS records not held by them, it does not mean the records do not exist or have been destroyed.
They may be held by the Parent Church = St. MONICA (Bootle)
Contact their Archivist on 0151 922 4819
or at email = stmonica.bootle@rcaolp.co.uk

Hope this helps ?

Alamo
Keyhole

St Alex’s did join st Richard of Chichester late 80s early 90s. Since then st Richards has joined st Monica’s on feenhill road. Your probably best contacting the archdiocese as they would probably have the baptism register from then. Good luck
Bernie R

I believe St Richards has also closed down now - mounting repair costs and falling congregation numbers cited as the reason.