For any Old Dockers

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
lynne99

Re. Your post of the New Brighton Steamer at the Landing Stage . It shows New Brighton Tower. I don't know when this disappeared, but it would help date it. Shame there is no Tower now.
Dan

Bootle Times 1925.

Sir William Clemmey maintained the independence of Bootle during his time as Mayor of Bootle 1902-1904.

Image Image

Regards

Dan
Dan

1877 Founders of the Liverpool Timber Trade Association.

1891 Princes Dock

1944 Peel Road

1966 Unloading Hoegh Mallard.

Undated. Unloading mahogany.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Rolling Gates and Movable Bridges.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Alexandra Dock.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Bootle Times 1975.

Plans for the Conti Soya, now Cargill Seaforth, plant at the Gladstone Dock.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Consultation last year looking at building two link roads, one for the new cruise terminal, and one to run into Leeds Street.
Not sure where the council is up to with this, but it's a good picture of Great Howard Street/ Derby Road leading to Bootle-sur-Mer.

Regards

Dan
Dan

1 Merton Road.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Regards

Dan
Dan

Regards

Dan
filsgreen

Thanks for posting your very informative articles, Dan.
Dan

Dock map 2017.

Regards

Dan
Dan

The view from Hawthorne Road.

Before. The abandoned Tar Distillery.

After. Tesco Car Park.

Regards

Dan
Walsh

Dan, Your postings on dock plans and services are always valued as are the old factories and industries.
The tar distillery/Tesco car park caught my attention. As a young kid, I often looked in awe at the Gasworks & Tar Distillery, having to smell the organic solvents, phenolics and sulphurous emissions. Yet, the chemicals produced from this plant fed industries producing diverse products: soaps, cleaners, disinfectants, foodstuffs, paints, plastics, metal fabrications... As an applied chemistry student, the plant took on new meaning when we were taught petrochemical distillation and processing plus organic synthesis. Lessons of a lifetime. As an industrial chemical engineer, I often found myself analysing the products involved. They were often complex and involved so many industrial sectors. The docks and waterways (rivers and canals) were such important transport veins for these industries, their products and markets. Walshy.
Dan

Cheers Walshy.

My favourite process was the thickening of soyabean and linseed oils, at Samuel Banner on Sandhills Lane.

Never got tired of telling people, there's no such thing as the smell of paint.

When the old fashioned, high quality paints are drying, the odour they give off is that of oil going rancid on the wall/door. Then the oil starts to polymerise or dry.

I like to think in a million years or so, some intelligent life form on an archeological dig will conclude that, for some reason, the inhabitants of the remains would daub the walls of their buildings with coloured. rancid oils.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Queueing for the docks.

Regards

Dan
Dan

1950s Bootle Docks.

1969 Flying Scotsman.

Regards

Dan
Dan

NASA Photos.

Venice

Singapore Harbour.

Bootle and the surrounding area.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Brunswick Dock in the foreground. For a couple of years, in the late 90s, I used to work in the transit sheds, converted into business units, that stood adjacent to the lock gates on the lower left of the picture.

Regards

Dan
efc46

I worked for North Mersey Iron and Steel (Johnie Routledge) on the demolition we worked all over the docks our yard was Regents road we cut up tugs barges coal cranes it was a great job wet to oz in 1967
It was really good looking at the docks I remember selling papers at the overhead Seaforth as a lad takes me back great photo,s/davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Walsh

Dan, Technology dates and the irreversible march of miniaturisation, poses as progress.

Yes, the smell of paint oils, solvents, thinners and dryers can date paints and even induce nostalgia. Once I became qualified as a chemist and engineer, I travelled internationally and I began to realise how I had first become aware of paint formulations, oil extracts and early plastics as I wandered round Bootle as a kid then later worked in local companies. It made me increasingly value the importance of the Docks, the Cut, the Tar distillery, the Gasworks and nearby factories in providing not only jobs but contributing to diverse products for an international market - in construction, foodstuffs, domestic products, entertainment and beyond.

I share your thoughts on future archaeologists trying to make sense of excavations around Bootle docklands and Bootle Village. Perhaps they might think that Victorian robustness and practicality in housing, offices and industrial units were replaced by a fashion for scaling up Lego and Bayko sets, while discarding Meccano ones? Production and manufacture gave way to 'service industries' which gave way to 'IT'- which left no trace.

The ultimate products of IT will be lost forever, even to library archives, as storage media continuously change and reading devices become 'updated' - My data from over 40 years is on magnetic tape (1/4 to 2 inch), punched cards, floppy discs (3.5, 5.25 and even 11 inch), cassettes, chips, USBs, hard drives (rotating and solid state), photographs, microfiche, microfilm and even pen on paper but few devices survive for reading these media. Then there is electronics. I learned how to use thermionic valves at school, building fuzz boxes and wah pedals in the Merseybeat era - then in came transistors, chips, printed integrated circuits, 3D circuit + component (lab-on-chip) printing and beyond.

Just as I had learned how to fix early, analogue, multiple tape-loop Mellotrons (which needed several men to load into a van and preferably a full-time technician to complete a gig) as a late teenager in 1970+, they were eclipsed by digital, multitrack, push button keyboard synths (some being carried under your arm on the train). Now a hand held phone can suffice. Body implants for digital computer music are underway. What will future forensics make of bioelectronics integrated into people? 'The moving finger writes and a hard rock symphony emerges...' Walshy.
Dan

Still listen to my cassettes Walshy. Analogue with a soothing white noise hiss in the background.
We are not very good at understanding change over time.

Illustration below.

Late Jurassic period 152 million years ago

Animals of the time

Earth at the time.

Late Cretaceous 94 million years ago.

Animals of the time.

Earth at the time.

Middle Miocene 14 million years ago.

Animals of the time. My favourite.

Earth at the time.

Earth in a further 50 million years.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Bootle Times July 1927. Gladstone Dock.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Regards

Dan
Dan

Regards

Dan
Dan

1886 Thomas Murray's design for the Anglican Cathedral.

1960s plans for a public square in place of St John's Gardens.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Litherland Canal Lift Bridge.Photo composite by Sarah Smith.

Regards

Dan
Dan

There was a time when the dockers' hook would suffice.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Regards

Dan
Walsh

Dan, I appreciated the dinosaur images. I believe I must be the one doing digital cllimate simulations and 3D printing algorithms - while rock 'n roll background music plays under the trees on ex-jukebox 45 vinyls, At least I've stopped using an 8 track player - it kept sticking - reminding me too much of Brexxhit. Walshy.
Dan

Cheers Walshy. Must admit I was tempted by the Sony mini-disc in the early 90s, but resisted thankfully.

Seacombe ferry.

Regards

Dan
Dan

The American Mammoth Jackass.

Why couldn't we have had them on New Brighton beach?

Regards

Dan
filsgreen

Or Donald Trump as he's better known. :D
Dan

Regards

Dan
Dan

Lord Street in the early 20th century.

From Hanover/Whitechapel/Church Street junction.

From Castle Street end.

Regards

Dan