Linacre Road

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Shelagh

Great picture of Lighthouse Tea rooms Linacre Rd - sign on top window, ladies dining - how quaint :)

Only just noticed this question from JFC - where was Jewellers shop on Linacre Road?
Shop called Armstrong’s, address 100 Linacre Road Litherland (top of Longfield Rd) Charlie Armstrong, shop owner during the sixties.
Percy Armstrong (father) run a jeweller/optician business at same address early nineteen hundreds!
Bought my first pair of gold sleepers from Armstrong’s in the early sixties, also had my ears pierced there!!

Shop owner probably retired by the late sixties, he’d be getting on a bit by then.

Hope that helps :) others may have memories of the old shops along Linacre Rd!!
Dan

Three shops come to mind.
First, obviously, is the Broadway Stores. Probably the best shop in the world. It had everything any 10 year old boy could ask for.
Air pistols, magnets, mouth organs, pen knives, practical jokes. I still look in the window when I pass.
Then there was a newsagent that was one of the few that sold World Sports. The magazines were hung from clips.As soon as you walked in you could see if they had it.
Finally, there was a music store,family run, in the big building on the bend in the road just before the bridge. Used to buy some of my cassettes there. Still listen to them.
OMG. Forgot the Bootle Odeon. I loved going to the pictures. Coming out and being blinded by the afternoon sun.

Regards

Dan
filsgreen

Some great shops in Linacre Road, that I remember. Sturlas, My mate got his Chopper from there. Peter Johnson's clothes shop, I bought my clothes on the drop from there and my brother met his wife in there, she was an assistant. Finally, there was the Army and Navy store, which was great for getting your canvas rucksack for school.

I loved the Broadway stores, I bought my "donkey lazzy" from there to make catapults. Put two holes through a piece of "welly" with two feet of lazzy and you had one. I also remember buying a 10 in inch hunting knife, to go camping with. God knows what I thought I was going to do with it. :D
fatboyjoe90

The Broadway Stores is on Stanley Road. Sayers cakes, were at the top Longfield Road next to Sayers was Freeman, Hardy and Willis shoe shop, then you had Armstrong Jewellery shop next to that was a paper shop ran by an old woman for years on the corner of Beechwood there was a second-hand car shop then it was a ladies hairdressers if my memory is right. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
billygooner

hi joe90, methinks the broadway store is on Linacre road. at the corner of my home street. regards billy.
filsgreen

It's not, Billy, Joe is right, it is on Stanley Road.

https://bootle-merseyside.cylex-uk.co.u ... 88855.html
henry

billygooner wrote:hi joe90, methinks the broadway store is on Linacre road. at the corner of my home street. regards billy.
You thinks wrong Bill
Linacre road starts almost outside the Pacific
See you tomorrow if you are ok.
Broadway stores on Stanley rd
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
Shelagh

Joe, you certainly have a good memory..can vaguely remember Sayers being at top of Longfield, just know that the census lists Armstrong’s address as 100 Linacre Road, knew it was somewhere around top of Longfield, thought it might be next door to Sayers, not next door but one...just goes to show, memory not what it was!
Trying to remember paper shop next door (other way) can’t recall, but likely been in there at sometime!

Worked in the sewing factory opposite Armstrong’s, knew the shops back then, forgotten most now, remember a few..Ross’s, Greek chippie (lovely chips :) ) Tolls..two floors of ladies clothes - very handy on payday :wink:

Remember Sturlas, bought a pram and kitchen cabinet there, early 70s - money no object (with a Sturlas cheque :wink: )
Niece (Sam) owns the hairdressers, ground floor of the old Sturlas building, so I’m still a regular at Sturlas!

Local boys would get their jeans from the army and navy stores fifties/sixties.
But once they started work, Flemings on Walton Road was the place to go - best denims around!!
Broadway stores served the community well - sold everything, from alarm clocks to toy guns, peashooter’s, darts, caps, kettles, toy mice, the lot....glad the old shop is still going :)

Nothing like a bit of history for a pleasant stroll down memory lane :D
billygooner

to filsgreen/henry, sorry you are both right I put it down to old age, henry I will see you today, regards billy
paulinliverpool

Chelsea Road V.E Day Street Party May 1945
Last edited by paulinliverpool on Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan

paulinliverpool wrote:Chelsea Road V.E Day street party May 1945

Cheers Paul, enlarged your photo.

Regards

Dan
paulinliverpool

Cheers Dan, what did i do wrong for it to upload that small?
Dan

On postimage after uploading, using the 19 inch monitor setting, copy the code from Hotlink for forums.

I clicked on your photo, and when the image came up I selected Download Original Image. So your upload must have been OK.

I did start having problems with the old postimage site, so I downloaded the Windows 10 version. That sits on the menu bar at the bottom of my

screen.

I find it much easier. Then for posting,I upload, copy,paste then delete the head and tail of the code before and after [img], so I only copy

[img]-whatever code-[img] to the forum.

It takes a few goes, and it's useful to use the preview function to ensure all is satisfactory.

You won't go wrong using trial and error in preview mode.

Regards

Dan
Dobbsyboy

I vaguely remember an Army and Navy shop on Linacre Road, but where exactly was it and when did it finally shut?
what you looking at eh La?
filsgreen

It was about two roads after the Pacific, I think Johnson's clothes shop was by it. Sturlas was on that side as well.
Dobbsyboy

So around Kilburn and Riddock then? Lived around Linacre Lane for years but never ventured along that way much or if at all.
filsgreen

Some one will be along to confirm.
BOBHAMO

Hi Dobbsyboy long time since you have been on the site
great to see you posting :D :D :D
the army ,navy stores was on the corner of Riddock road
next was treanors , decons , ladies hairdresser then alpha street
got my camo jacket from there :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Dobbsyboy

Hiya Bob

Yeah long time. Had a disagreement with someone here over something silly. Walked away and bit me tongue as it wasn't worth the energy.

Going by your post it looks like it was on the same block as a property shop and the Chung Lok Chinese place then? Or was it were Chung Lok is now? Hard to remember it. Wonder if there's any pictures of that row at all?
nicolas

Linacre Road, Diamond Match Works, 1932.

Mack
Site Admin

Hi gang,

I had to delete some old links to photos on this thread as they were using TinyPic photo sharing links that no longer worked so the posts were just displaying 'image not available'.

So if it's one of your old posts that you posted here in this section unfortunately there is nothing I can do here to retrieve them.

If you have the original pics please feel free to use our latest photo sharing options top of our forum sections and repost them in this thread.

I was out last Sunday evening on a wet and windy night and took this pic of the street using my old mobile phone looking from Blisworth Street towards the direction of the Pacific pub and Bootle North Park.

Late night photograph of Linacre Road taken from the corner of Blisworth Street 26th of July 2020.

Twas a wet a windy night and all was quiet.

Mack
filsgreen

Bad news for many of us posting images, Mack, especially Bob's footy page. I visited his page, many of his pictures have been lost.

Dan

1932 Britain From Above

I was looking at the geo-referenced maps for this area yesterday.

I never realised that the matchworks site became the Hornby Boulevard flats site, in the early 1950s.

The site was bounded by Linacre Road, Longfield Road to the left, Violet Road to the right, and Hornby Boulevard to the rear.

To the upper left, beyond the factory, stood (from right to left) Warton, Waller, Smollet, Prior, Pope and Collins (the writers') Streets.

Just beyond these streets, (from r to l) is Gray Street School, Falconer, Kipling and Bowles Streets, standing between Gray and Akenside Streets.

Directly opposite the tall, main building stands the Linacre Mission, also sometimes known as Walker's Mission.

On the top upper left, there's also the docks end of Knowsley Road with more writers beyond. Dryden, Cowper, Boswell, Burns and Byron.

Beyond into Seaforth are the musicians', military commanders' and trees' streets.

There's a lot more besides.

August 2019 view. Linacre Mission to the left, Hornby Flats to the right.

Dan

1899. Linacre Lane from Stanley Road by J Holden (b. 1843)

The painting was on display at Bootle Art Gallery before being moved to the Atkinson Art Collection, Southport in the 1970's.

Mack
Site Admin

Great pics Dan :D

Hi Phil, yeah it's unfortunate regarding older pics. Regarding TinyPic - The service shut down on September 9, 2019 due to declining site income, and Photobucket who are their sister company changed their policy from FREE to PAID for photo hosting for a ridiculously high fee. Imageshack shut down their old service and started up a new one which meant all the old links to photo's on websites/forums were broken. Hence the updated list top of the forum sections.

I mention this at the bottom...

NB: Please note that we cannot guarantee any photos posted on our BOOTLE TIMES - PAST - PRESENT - FUTURE web forum posted at this time will be available in the FUTURE due to us using 3rd party web hosting for all images since the website was originally created in 2005.

How to Post Photo's on our Bootle Forum updated December 2019 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28827

Mack

Hope this explains... :D

SOZ guyz. Apologies for interrupting this great thread. Over and out and back you to folks with your posts. Just felt I should explain the situation :wink:
filsgreen

Thanks Mack, but no explanation or apology needed, I was just lamenting the fact. :D
Dan

It's deja vu all over again.

lastquarter

Dan wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:32 am RE:
1932 Britain From Above
I was looking at the geo-referenced maps for this area yesterday.
I never realised that the matchworks site became the Hornby Boulevard flats site, in the early 1950s.
The site was bounded by Linacre Road, Longfield Road to the left, Violet Road to the right, and Hornby Boulevard to the rear.
To the upper left, beyond the factory, stood (from right to left) Warton, Waller, Smollet, Prior, Pope and Collins (the writers') Streets.
Just beyond these streets, (from r to l) is Gray Street School, Falconer, Kipling and Bowles Streets, standing between Gray and Akenside Streets.
Directly opposite the tall, main building stands the Linacre Mission, also sometimes known as Walker's Mission.
On the top upper left, there's also the docks end of Knowsley Road with more writers beyond. Dryden, Cowper, Boswell, Burns and Byron.
Beyond into Seaforth are the musicians', military commanders' and trees' streets.
There's a lot more besides.
August 2019 view. Linacre Mission to the left, Hornby Flats to the right.

Hi Dan,

re: "...Warton, Waller, Smollet, Prior, Pope and Collins (the writers') Streets..... "
Your post set me off thinking...
I wondered if there was a logic to some of the other street names around.
I'm particularly interested in roads around Linacre Mission i.e. Hinton, Bowden, Hartwell, Towcester, Blisworth, Lander.
Apart from possibly having street names that are places, I cannot see a connection.

Do you/anyone have any ideas please?

Thank you
lastquarter

fatboyjoe90 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:00 am Bridge Road Postcard, Litherland. :wink:
A fabulous photo Joe!

(Anyone) any idea of where on Bridge road this might be set? e.g. a number or adjoining street?
Dan

Linacre Road depot through the years up to its' final day in 1986.

Tram depot.

Bus depot

Final day in 1986.
Dan

Linacre Road at the corner of Kilburn Street.

December 1908. Mr & Mrs John J Jones outside their shop, at 136 Linacre Road

Property, 134-136 Linacre Road, sold at auction April 2023.

J.F.G

Dan wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:38 pm Linacre Road depot through the years up to its' final day in 1986.

Hi Dan

Wonder why a Wallasey bus ( the yellow one ) features in the last photograph, the final day of the Linacre Road bus depot ?

Regards

John

Tram depot.

Bus depot

Final day in 1986.
Gardner 180

Hi J.F.G., The Wallasey Leyland Atlantean and several others , also from Birkenhead were by 1986
all part of The Merseyside bus fleet. I dont know the exact title of the fleet. I believe that Southport
and St Helens buses also became part of the fleet. Cheers, Ray.