St Winfrides

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Dorothy Sommer

Hi Philly/Gags, Good to hear from you, I do remember one of the brothers but I didn't know there was another one.I remember Oriel Road Station I used to go through there to see my aunty who lived in Canal Street. Looking at the pictures on the internet the council did a great job of fixing it up. :D
Trinity Road Kid
Silver-Haired-Hippy

I was at St. Winefrides junior school and knew a girl called Veronica Sherlock, I wonder if she was a relation of Anne? this would be in the fifties. I vaguely remember she lived near Bootle railway station.

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Dorothy Sommer

:D Hi Silver Haired Hippy, It seems that quite a lot of people on this forum went to St Winifreds school. I used to pop in and see my Nan at St Winifreds infant school as she was one of the dinner ladies, her name was Doris Burgess. I don't know what the meals where like there but I used to go to St Marys infant school and I remember those meals weren't to bad, from what I see on the TV now the meals look like they consist of anything that is fried I don't know how true that is! Good to hear from you
Trinity Road Kid
Philly/Gags

Hello Richie you are right there mate our Kenneth was two years under you lot then me. its gone now Rich load of new houses there.

Hiya Loretta don't remember Veronica, I went to them all Infants Church St, Juniors corner Pembroke Road, Seniors Merton Rd.

Hi Dot did your nan live in Berry St there was a Burgess family lived there I think one of the girls was named Brenda?

Philly
bootle/dodge/bootle
Dorothy Sommer

:) Philly/Gags, My mum and her family came from Orlando Street near the Banjo Pub, but I did have an aunty who lived in Canal Street her married name was Arrowsmith, when they knocked down her house my aunty and uncle moved to the Stanley House Flats. So no Philly/Gags I do not know anyone by the name of Brenda. :D
Trinity Road Kid
Mary F

Dorothy. Your Nan worked at St. Winnies Junior school, the infant school was the huts and they did not offer school meals. I remember your Nan, she was fantastic.
Dorothy Sommer

:D Hi Mary F, Yeah sorry I got the schools wrong, a bit confusing. My nanna enjoyed working at the school and she would always come over to our home when she finished work. It was very convenient living in Trinity Road just down the road from St Winnies. Great talking to you. Thanks for your response
Trinity Road Kid
oriel55

Silver-Haired-Hippy wrote:I was at St. Winefrides junior school and knew a girl called Veronica Sherlock, I wonder if she was a relation of Anne? this would be in the fifties. I vaguely remember she lived near Bootle railway station.

Loretta
The Sherlock Family lived in Oriel Road in one of the 'Railway Houses' that back onto the platform of Oriel Road Railway Station. Veronica was one of the family.
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Thanks oriel55, yes, I remember the houses!!!

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Susanq

Dorothy Sommer wrote:Hi Karen my name is Dorothy Sommer (nee Winrow) my nan Doris Burgess used to be the dinner lady at St Winifreds primary school. When I saw you maiden name as Puddifer I remembered there was a girl I new at Balliol Road High school by that name, could you be that person? :D
Hi Dorothy,
I remember you and your family. Didn’t you come from somewhere called Melling? Wasn’t your dad a builder? My sister Jane and I were friends with you and Sandra, whilst you were at St. Mary’s/Balliol Road. I was gutted when you all left for Oz. I remember your mum used to knit you little outfits in bright colours. I was really jealous. I’d love to hear about your life in Australia.
Susan Finnie (we used to live over the pub, Talbot Hotel, on Derby Road).
Dorothy Sommer

Hi Susan, I certainly do remember you. It is wonderful to finally get to talk to each other after all these years. We had some wonderful times growing up together, I also remember you had a brother Sandy (Alexander) and your sister Jane.
Trinity Road Kid
Dan

Posted this on another thread.

Regards

Dan