BENTOX

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
Mike McC

I have been known to have the odd sherbet or two in local hostelries. I am (gulp) 71 and I am afraid I never drank Bentox. Can anyone describe exactly what it was and which pubs sold it.
Ex Addison St, and St Joans.
Invicta

Nor me Mike. Was it one of those Winter brews with higher alcohol content?
I remember a Walkers one that they would only sell in halves.
:wink: Ken
Eddy Lloyd

A bit like Aussie wine. The Saly in Marsh Lane sold it.
Invicta

Like in Yates , Eddy? I never tried that either.
I remember going to town early on and the older lads said, “ we go for a bevvy first, then we’ll have a few wet bevvies” which translated meant, Yates first then on the ale :shock: K
Eddy Lloyd

Yes Ken. I remember my first time in a Yates wine lodge with my mate I stood at the bar not knowing what to ask for until some guy came up and said "Two large Aussies please love." so I ordered the same. :)
Invicta

Yates made Wetherspoons look like Disneyworld , rough old places :D Ken
WatsonTommy

BEÑTOX2 WAS FORTI FED STRONG WINE AND ONLY BOUGHT IN BENTS PUBS THE JOLLY FARMERS MARSH LANE WAS ONE IT WAS THE SAMEAS BUCKFAST MADE BY MONKS VERY POPULAR IN SCOTLAND AND ANY BARGANBOOZE LOCALY ANOTHER WINE WAS HESTERLINA SME STUFF MORE OR LESS )
henry

it was Esterlina and Juanita 2 Spanish plonks had many in the Langton
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
fatboyjoe90

Is right Tommy and H, I drink it in the Jollies many moons ago. 8) :wink: :lol:
Cheers Joe.
WatsonTommy

POSTED THAT ON ME I POD BENTOX SAGA
IRENE H

Wow that's going back, I used to drink Bentox in my younger days in the chaucher pub I mostly drank port & Lemon , but bentox was sold there & it had a better taste & the price I remember it was 9 Old pence a class . Often stayed at my mates house had to many to walk home .. Great memories Irene xx
Your never fully dressed without a smile
Jonah

I'm a bit late to this thread but I often bought Bentox at the offy at ' The Crown 'at the junction of Walton Hall Avenue and The East Lancs Road. A Bents pub.
Basically,it was a blend of red wine ( or perhaps Tarragona ) with a subtle addition of an Oxo cube. Guaranteed to put hairs on your chest - even the girls !!
bob. b

Never drank that but had Golden or Brown Bitter great days
Invicta

Hi Bob, hope you are well.
Golden was Lager & Bitter if I remember.
Always had straight Bitter, Walkers was first choice, wasn’t keen on Bents, Higsons and I didn’t like Threlfalls.
The Greenalls in Cooksons was ok.
The Bitter down here is a bit “Hoppy” for me but I do enjoy a pint of Spitfire from Shepherd & Neame, the oldest independent brewery in the Country , brewed in Faversham, Kent.
Never had Bentox.
Ken
Elaine Goulding

I have heard of Bentox, however for some reason I always thought it was cough mixture :roll:
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
Gardner 180

Invicta wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:12 pm Hi Bob, hope you are well.
Always had straight Bitter, Walkers was first choice, wasn’t keen on Bents, Higsons and I didn’t like Threlfalls.
The Bitter down here is a bit “Hoppy” for me but I do enjoy a pint of Spitfire from Shepherd & Neame, the oldest independent brewery in the Country , brewed in Faversham, Kent.
Never had Bentox.
Ken
Hi, Regarding Shepherd Neame beer, I buy their bottled beer at our local Sainsburys in Wigan. Cheers, Ray.
Dan

From the April 2011 edition of MerseyAle

I only knew Bentox as one of the generic names of benzene hexachloride, the gamma isomer of which was known by the trade name;

lindane- a powerful insecticide and treatment for scabies.
efc46

the ale ouse on seaview chaucer street it was a bents pub I think its closed we used to drink it Knocked yor ead off
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Invicta

Gardner 180 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:39 am
Invicta wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:12 pm Hi Bob, hope you are well.
Never had Bentox.
Ken
Hi, Regarding Shepherd Neame beer, I buy their bottled beer at our local Sainsburys in Wigan. Cheers, Ray.
Ray, I was once on a 3 week, multiple countries trip in the Far East. Near the end I met up with an expat Scouser in KL. He was a big beer drinker and we were in his "local" when I noticed they had Shepherd & Neame's " Bishop's Finger in bottles so we ordered a couple. Shocked when it came to paying, they were £9 a bottle and that was 30 years ago! 😳