Caroline Selina Dawes

Find Bootle friends and family here
Bill fawcett

Hi, I did post this nearly two years ago without success. Lily8 and TS did have a look but they had no luck either.
I just thought I might have another go.

[[Post by Bill fawcett » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:42 pm
Hi, all you brilliant genies on this forum.
I know this is not a Bootle enquiry, but I am at a dead end with my search and I thought someone on here might be able to help. I am trying to trace the family of Caroline Selina Dawes(my maternal great grandmother) She was born in Brighton in 1845 and died in Walton in 1917. On her birth certificate her father was listed as Alfred Dawes(Butcher) and her mother was Mary Dawes formerly Elliot.
I cannot find any trace of the family between her being born, and when she married Thomas Webster in Staffordshire in 1876.
On the marriage certificate Alfred Dawes is listed as a master butcher. I can trace her from her marriage until her death, but before her marriage - nothing. I have a cousin who has been doing the family tree for years, and who has spent a day in Brighton records office trying to trace them without success. I hope someone on this forum will have more success than we have had.
If you need any further information the Fawcett family tree is on Ancestry on public view.]

Thanks. Bill
Bill fawcett

Jan

Hi Bill,

I have tried to find the family in 1851 and 1861 census, no luck at all.

From the Birth cert what is the address given?

I know this won't help much but I did find a Alfred Elliot Dawes baptism, but he died a few days after.

Name:
Alfred Elliot Dawes
Baptism Date:
15 Sep 1842
Baptism Place:
Warbleton, Sussex, England
Mother:
Mary Dawes
FHL Film Number:
1468993 IT 1

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
BOBHAMO

I looked inall the brighton directories from 1830s to 1870s
and could not find any Alfred Dawes
the only Dawes was a Maria Dawes 12 west street shopkeeper
Alfreds wedding 1845 to i think Mary Hall
so Caroline was born the same year
Bill if you want the directories http://mhms.org.uk/search/apachesolr_se ... -filters=1
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
lily8

I think we determined in earlier post that there was no record of a Dawes Elliot marriage unless it was pre 1837 registration act and that is quite possible. Does not appear to be any registration for Alfred Elliot Dawes either but agree with Jan most likely a brother to Selina Caroline (as she was registered). Struggled to find any records then as now.
Lily
Bill fawcett

Hi Bob,Jan & Lily, thanks very much for having another go at this. This family just seem to disappear after Caroline is born until she is married. I have attached a photo of her birth certificate and the marriage one. These both show her father was a butcher.

Thanks again
Bill
Jan

Hi Bill,

I have had a look at the 1841 and 1851 for Park Street that is listed on the birth cert, there is nobody Dawes or Elliot living in Park Street at those times.

I did however come across a Mary Elliot living in the area in 1841, listed as living with Thomas Elliot, but there was no relationships listed on the 1841, they were both the same age, but could have been about 5 years out as ages were rounded up or down.

This is the 1841 that I found, it could be a long shot, and may be no connection, but it is the same place that Selina's birth was registered.

Name:
Thomas Elliott
Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1816
Where born:
Sussex, England
Civil Parish:
Brighthelmstone
Hundred:
Brighthelmstone
County/Island:
Sussex
England
Street address:

View image
Registration district:
Brighton
Sub-registration district:
St Peter
Piece:
Book:
Folio:
Page Number:
Household Members:
Name
Mary Elliott

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
Bill fawcett

Thanks for that Jan, it could be,as Lily suggested, that Mary had previously been married before marrying Alfred Dawes, and this could have been that marriage.
I am very curious to know how Caroline Selina came to be in Staffordshire where she married Thomas. Her marriage certificate states that she is from Staffordshire. Where did she and her family live between her being born and getting married?

Bill
Thommos sister

I'm sure you know this Bill, Staffs BMD have the marriage in Newcastle under Lyme, Civil, 1876. T.S
birth has her name vice versa Selina Caroline.
Bill fawcett

Thanks TS, yes I do have a copy of her marriage certificate. It is the period between her being born, and getting married that I am trying to trace. Nobody seems able to trace her or her family.

Bill