The JOYCE Family - Bootle

Find Bootle friends and family here
Howz

Hi, Looking for anyone that knew the Joyce family, I think from around Tennyson Street, Grey Street? My father was John Joyce born in 1932 to Mary and Jim, I think my Dad John went to St James school and was evacuated to Hereford during the war, his brothers were Tony and Joe and his sister was Francis. John Joyce (Dad) also joined the Merchant Navy (Cunard) in around 1949 and spent around 8-10 years meeting my Mother Rachel on board as they were doing the Liverpool to New York run on the Ivernia. We emigrated to Perth in Australia in 1965 but returned to live back in Chester in 1969.
Howz

Forgot to mention that I was born in Tennyson Street in 1963, number 28 I think, I believe my Dad had a white Ford Anglia and the neighbours used to say "Look at John in that big white American Car"...……….that was the story I was told anyway!
Howz

Bob H, thanks for the information on my grandfather Jim who was a docker living at 22 Tennyson Street in 1938, I think my Dad was born in that house, I think they moved to Gray Street in 1941 as a bomb came through the roof of number 22 Tennyson Street and wrecked the house but didn’t explode.
My Grandmother was Mary Crown or Cronin? before she married James (Jim) Joyce.
Not sure what happened to the pictures and info you posted earlier as they have disappeared?
BOBHAMO

ww2 changed the numbers after the bombing
no 42 Gray street your grandmother Mary 1949
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Howz

Ahh that was it, 42 Gray Street, We used to visit as kids in the early 70's, thanks Bob (I think they may have lived elsewhere between 22 Tennyson Street and 42 Gray Street.
Howz

I came across this photo of Tennyson Street after it had been bombed.

BOBHAMO

Its a good photo Howz
sadly there where a number of tennison st people killed in the shelter
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road