Gunner Charles Wallace (# 1085136)

Find Bootle friends and family here
Paul McCabe

Gunner Charles Wallace (#1085136) was sadly killed at TOBRUK in WW2 on 26th June 1942......he was aged just 29 years old & never married to the best of my knowledge.

He was a close friend of my favourite Uncle Bill & whilst going through some family documents (as you occasionally do !), I came across a letter written by Charlie to Bill
on 5th May 1941 whilst Charlie was stationed at Burton-on-Trent.

It's just a regular 'chit-chat' kind of letter that two soldier friends would share.

It occurred to me that perhaps a member of Charlie's extended family would appreciate having this letter (?).

My Uncle Bill was in 2/4 South Lancashire Paratroopers stationed in Cheltenham at that particular time & lived in Lamb Street (now demolished) but it was close to Boundary Street / Great Howard Street, so reasonable to assume that Charlie will have hailed from that area too. (?)

However, my wan attempts using 'Google' have been fruitless.

The address on his letter was;

Gunner Charles Wallace (#1085136)
'P Troop' 'X Battery'
1st Reserve Field 'RG-T. RU'
Burton-on-Trent,
Staffs
Dated 5//5/1941

I'd appreciate any ideas / links etc.........I'm aware that 'Columbo' or even Hercule Poirot probably wouldn't touch this with a barge pole but you never know.

Cheers & Seasons Greetings :-)

P
BOBHAMO

Paul he is on most of the paid sites
he is not on the merseyside honour site
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Paul McCabe

Hi Bob, Thanks for the 'Heads Up', strange he doesn't appear on the Merseyside honours list as I'm pretty certain he was a Scouser ?.

I've been advised to try "Rootschat" so I've just dipped my oar in there too.

As my late Mother drilled into me; "If you don't ask......You don't get" (!)

If nowt else, I'll try to get him on that honours board should he indeed qualify.

I know he died from a head wound at Tobruk.

RIP Charlie.

Cheers

P
ALAMO2008

Paul
I hope to be in Liverpool Archive Library in the morning, will look at the 1939 Register and Gores Directories for info found on rootschat.
Alamo
BOBHAMO

had a look before the war of any charles wallace local
Birkenhead , claughton, liscard
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
ALAMO2008

Well done Bob,
Apparently he's on the 1939 Register with his Parents and Sister at 62a County Rd Walton.
There was an advert in the Liverpool Echo on 28 August 1942 from his Parents asking after his whereabouts as either they had not been told he had been killed or they refused to accept it,?
lily8

Hi Paul just looking in from down under and checked out possible siblings/marriage etc, his sister Theresa had a marriage to Mcnulty but looking at the record this appears to be in 1966 she would have been 55 at that time so likely no issue.
Lily
Thommos sister

Hiya Lily, learnt something new today. In 1939 census for Theresa it has McNulty in brackets. Hello I thought where they an item back then? No it seems 1939 was updated regularly over many years to add married names...
Merry Christmas my dear friend. T.S xox
BOBHAMO

Great finds Alamo .Lily .T S,
might be able to find his m,emorial in walton
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Paul McCabe

Hi Bob, ALAMO, Lily & TS....Thanks for all your terrific detective work. !! :-)

The advice I received regarding "Rootschat" paid immediate results, some guy from the Midlands posted a copy of his family's heart-wrenching advertisement in the Liverpool Echo asking for any news of his whereabouts. Incredible.

Charlie passed away on 26th June '42 & his family were posting in the Liverpool Echo (not an inexpensive thing to do in 1942) on 28th August 1942 pleading for information about him.

The Ad' listed his address as; 62A County Road, Walton, L4.............game on.

My 'not-so-trusty-mate' Google led me to his former abode.......it's actually in 'Nimrod St' behind "BS Sports", which used to be "Barnet Shieldhouse" in a previous life, & is a special place for me, as my Mother took me there & we purchased my first ever pair of futty boots......"St Crispin Super Wings".........we couldn't afford "Timpson Shooting Stars" !!.........they say life goes in circles.

I've tried to upload photos of the Echo advertisement from 1942 & a photo of 62A County Road.............but like "Arnhem" ....its a 'Bridge too far'.

Infuriatingly, there is a tattered black & white photo somewhere in all the "stuff" of our Charlie........he's dressed in Army kakis with a small monkey on his shoulder,,,,,but I can't seem to locate it. (Ouch).

Never mind, there is more meat on the bone now thanks to all your efforts.

Thanks again...........Have a Great Xmas. :-)

ATB

P
ALAMO2008

Liverpool Echo advert 28 Aug 1942 under Reported Missing

Liverpool Echo 28 May 1943 Parents Obituary to Charles

Summary of 1939 Register there are Two families listed at 62a County Road Walton which appears to be above a Shop and Wallaces not shown on the Gores Street Directories in Liverpool Library

Actual 1939 Register

The GRO Birth Index Search using the Date of Births Declared as follows :-

Charles Wallace Registered Sept Quarter 1913 West Derby Vol 8b page 834 Mother's Maiden Name = Hansen

Theresa Wallace Registered Dec Quarter 1911 West Derby Vol 8b page 805 Mother's Maiden Name = Hansen

William Wallace Registered Mar Quarter 1883 West Derby Vol 8b page 477 Mother's Maiden Name = Evans

Mary HansOn Registered Jun Quarter 1885 West Derby Vol 8b page 501 Mother's Maiden Name = Kealing
Can't find a Hansen born then in Liverpool

I realize the Mother's details don't match what was declared by her on 1939 Register but I have found loads of differences in the dates people declared on the 1939 Register some one reason or another, perhaps they genuinely didn't know there exact Date of Birth
and Births pre 1911, did it really matter anyway?
ALAMO2008

Just found Charles had Two Older Brothers as well.

GRO Birth Index : William Wallace presume first born named after the Father

Registered Jun 1907 West Derby Vol 8b page 438 Mother's Name shown as HansEn

Thomas Bruce Wallace Registered Jun 1910 West Derby Vol 8b page 396 Mother's Name shown as HansOn

Thomas appears to have married Winifred (Winnie ) ? ? ? and lived at 128 Kingsheath Ave, Huyton with his Children
and put annual Memoriam adverts on the Anniversary of his Death in Liverpool Echo, as did his Parents.

His Father William appears to have Died Dec 1955 ,Liverpool North Vol 10 d page 242

A successful day at the Library as promised.

Hope this Helps ?
Thommos sister

Great wombating Alamo, well done!! T.S Merry Christmas
Thommos sister

Hi Paul, Charles is remembered in Alamein Cemetery Column 38 Friday 26.6.1942 record in C.W.G.C
T.S
lily8

Good work Alamo :D Teens hi yes that has had a fair few people flummoxed :shock: Happy Christmas my little wombat :lol:

Paul it looks like Thomas Bruce married Winifred Rankin and had issue Winifred B 1934, William Bruce B 1936 and Catherine B 1941(all listed in the public domain) so it is possible that there may be some relatives about.
Lily
Paul McCabe

Hi, Lily, TS & especially ALAMO for that huge haul (!!).........what super detective work.........Thanks a million.

So nice to see Charlie's face & the concern shown by his family.

I understand & fully appreciate that any living descendants must not be divulged here but if anyone wishes to PM me anything that would 'point me in the right direction', I would be grateful & can assure you I will be the soul of discretion & won't go banging this stuff all over 'Facebook' (!).

I notice that Charlie attended St Alphonsus school........my favourite Uncle Bill Roberts & Bill's older brother Jim plus my mother Rose all attended the same school.

So Bill (D.O.B 4th April 1916) & Charlie (D.O.B 4th August 1913) were old school mates.............hence the 'Chit-Chat' :-)

Happy Xmas.

ATB & Thanks again.

P
Thommos sister

Tks Lils and a very Happy New Year to you. Enjoying the Boxing Day Test??
Thomas & Winifred in 1939 Liverpool C.B with only 1 unmentioned child.
Born 1910 and 1911. T.S
Paul McCabe

Hi TS, Thanks for the added info.

Finally, I think I've managed to upload a photo of Charlie's home at 62a County Rd, Walton. (It's actually in Andrew St not Nimrod St as previously mentioned.

The local libraries open on Jan 2nd, I'll try my luck then.

Thanks again to all of you for your input & time.

Have a great New Year (everyone).

ATB.

P

Paul McCabe

Well just back from the Crosby library where the staff were very helpful towards me.

Unfortunately, they informed me I can't search / access anyone until 100 years has passed...…….., (How do 'Stalkers' get by these days..??).

So with all your help & the "2 penneth" I scratched up, I've attempted to summarise Charlie's family tree below.

Probably the best bets are descendants the (2) daughters born to William Cureton b 1933 & his wife Thelma in 1957 & 1958 ?

Or William Cureton's sister (name ?) b 1944, who married a Mr Donnelly in 1965 ?

Or descendants of his younger sister Mary Adelaide Wallace b 1917-2000, who married James Cowen in 1939, they had a daughter in 1939 & a son in 1942.

= = =

Read...…. S - L - O - W - L - Y

= = =

Parents of CHARLES WALLACE: William Wallace (died 3 Mar 1944) and Mary Hansen/Hanson

Siblings of CHARLES WALLACE (b. 1913):

WILLIAM WALLACE b. 1907 - no marriage/children found but he was still alive in 1966 (mentioned in newspaper obit for brother Thomas)

CATHERINE WALLACE b. 1909. (Known as Katie from newspaper reports)
Married Frederick Cureton in 1932 in Conway.
Catherine and Frederick Cureton had 2 children:
1) William Cureton b. 1933 West Derby, he died 24 June 1960 (newspaper), aged just 26yrs. William married Thelma Fielding in 1955. They had (2) daughters in 1957 & 1958.
2) "female" Cureton b. 1944 Liverpool. Possible marriage of this lady to a Mr. Donnelly in 1965 Liverpool.

THOMAS BRUCE WALLACE b. 24th Feb 1910. He died on 20 July 1966 (newspaper).
Married Winifred Rankin (born 1st November 1911) in 1933 West Derby.
In 1939 they were living in 8 Braemar St, Liverpool...…...then in 1942 at 129 Kingsheath, Huyton (as per obituary posted)
Thomas and Winifred Wallace had possibly 3 children:
1) "female" Wallace b. 1934 West Derby
2) "male" William B Wallace b. 15th Feb 1936 Liverpool
3) "female" Wallace b. 1941 Liverpool

THERESA WALLACE B. 1911
Theresa married Anthony McNulty in 1966 in Liverpool. As Theresa married late in life it is unlikely she had any children.
Death for Theresa McNulty 26 Dec 1998 . Her death notice was placed in the newspaper by her sister Mary, and Theresa's late husband Tony was mentioned).

ANNIE ELLEN WALLACE b. 1914
No marriage/children found. She is still alive in in 1945 (newspaper remembrance for her father) but she is not named in the newspaper obituary for her brother Thomas in 1966, so she may have died before then.

MARY ADELAIDE WALLACE b. 1917. Died in 2000 in Knowsley.
Possible marriage to James Cowen in 1939 Liverpool.
Possible children of Mary and James Cowen:
1) "female" Cowen 1939 Liverpool
2) "male" Cowen 1942 Liverpool.

That's all for now.

Thanks again everyone who contributed.

ATB :-)

P
Paul McCabe

Hi ......Just an update;

The only progress I can report is that "a trusted informer" has disclosed to me that the (2) daughters of William Cureton & Thelma Fielding (see details below) were;

Susan Cureton, born 1957, & her sister Christine Cureton born the following year 1958, BOTH born in Liverpool.

I've tried furtive searches on "Facebook" on the above names & even sent a message to any "likely suspects" (delicately phrased in order not to alert the local Constabulary !!)......all without any result.

Sooooo...........If anyone out there ever knew / knows a Susan or Christine Cureton now aged about 61 & 62yrs old & who both sadly lost their Dad (William) when they were aged just 2 & 3yrs old...........please show them this missive.

Ya just never know what will fall out the tree....!!...??

Cheers

P

= = = =

CATHERINE WALLACE b. 1909. (Known as Katie from newspaper reports)
Married Frederick Cureton in 1932 in Conway.
Catherine and Frederick Cureton had 2 children:
1) William Cureton b. 1933 West Derby, he died 24 June 1960 (newspaper), aged just 26yrs. William married Thelma Fielding in 1955. They had (2) daughters in 1957 & 1958.
2) "female" Cureton b. 1944 Liverpool. Possible marriage of this lady to a Mr. Donnelly in 1965 Liverpool
ALAMO2008

This is a Good Tool to have you can search the whole UK or just Liverpool

Two Searches. One for Cureton and One for Donnelly.

This a Good way to search all Newspapers Nationwide to see if People we are looking for are no longer with us. All Newspapers put their Notices on this One site. You can add photos to existing posts and remember people on anniversaries just by joining free and posting such.

https://funeral-notices.co.uk/Liverpool ... earch=true

https://funeral-notices.co.uk/Liverpool ... earch=true
lily8

hi Paul from information in the public domain this may be a possible marriage for Christine A Cureton registered at Blackpool and Fylde vol 40 p262 to David G Clarkson along shot but maybe worth a shot I have pm'd with a possible address.
Lily
Paul McCabe

Hi Alamo & Lily..........Thanks for the info......that's dynamite.

Let me tape off the Crime scene & send the Forensic crew in...!!

Hopefully this tree will bear fruit........watch this space.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

P
Oak

Hello my mother received your recent letter concerning Gunner Charles Wallace. Unfortunately she is not the lady whom you are searching for; she does however know another Christine Clarkson who, would you believe, lived on the same street as her and now works with her. She is around a similar age to mum so she is going to pass the letter to her.
It’s a lovely journey you’re taking and hopefully the lady you are searching for may be found.
Thanks Hayley Lyons
lily8

thankyou Hayley for your response :D
Lily
Paul McCabe

Hi Haley (Oak), Thank you very much for your kind reply.

That's some coincidence regarding (2) Christine Clarksons (!!). :-)

Fingers crossed & breath bated.

Cheers,

Best regards,

Paul
Paul McCabe

Well unfortunately, there's been no sign of locating any of Charlie's relatives.

Never mind.

I'd like to Thank again all who joined in the search. Most appreciated.

So I thought I'd "Publish & be dammed" & have enclosed a letter from Charlie.

Apologies for the size / quality...…...I've attempted to summarise thus;

= = =

Charlie's letters are a unique window into the past & I feel I should wear white lint gloves like a professor would when I hold them.

The envelope itself has George VI on its 'tuppence ha'penny' stamp (1p today) & is franked reminding everyone to; "Grow more Food & Dig for Victory", whilst the postmark bears the time of collection; 11.45am when there were multiple collections per day & even the exact address to my Uncle Bill would appear to be classified as it's 'C/O the GPO in Cheltenham'.

Charlie mentions 'Kathleen'.....she was my Uncle Bill's then girl-friend & later wife & widow. Bill died in 1970 aged just 54yrs. (They had no children).

Charlie mentions drinking together in 'The Lighthouse' pub (corner of Stanley Rd & Lambeth Rd) which is still standing.

They were both ex St Alphonsus schoolboys. So I'm sure Charlie will have lived in that area earlier in his short life.

Don't know who 'Bob' is, but we've all got friends like that (!).

Charlie complains about his deployment to Bulford Camp in Salisbury comparing it to being in a town where there is only "Ind Coopes" ale to drink !!. Ha ha.

The letter was written in January 1941 & Charlie mentions that "our Tommy" has had his house bombed flat & "our Mary" has had her windows blown in...…….& The May Blitz of 1941 is yet to arrive. (!).

Poignantly, Charlie finishes the letter looking forward to a move "over the Big Pond" & a pint with Bill.

RIP Charlie.

= = =

Happy New Year Y'all. :-)

P

= = =

sunshinecoast@BC

ALAMO2008 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:49 pm Well done Bob,
Apparently he's on the 1939 Register with his Parents and Sister at 62a County Rd Walton.
There was an advert in the Liverpool Echo on 28 August 1942 from his Parents asking after his whereabouts as either they had not been told he had been killed or they refused to accept it,?
Hello My name is Jane, I am new to the site please forgive the intrusion, your post was the second one I came across and unbelievably I too lived at 62A County Road, for a few years, the flat was above Costigans which I think was a Grocers store, or Butchers but not too sure.

What a spooky coincidence!!
Elaine Goulding

What a find Paul! As I was reading I was hoping you would locate someone from Charles family. So many lovely people on this site pitching in to help. I must admit Charlies letter to Bill brought a huge lump to my throat. What a very sad time...……...
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
Paul McCabe

Hi Jane......Welcome to the Forum. :-)

That address must have jumped out off the screen to you...hope you weren't drinking hot coffee at the time. !!

Maybe I'll forward the link to David Olusoga to consider for his next "A House through time" series.

What riveting TV that programme is.

If he can't find any of Charlie's relatives then nobody can.

Cheers

P

PS: & Thanks Elaine for the kind comments too. :-)
sunshinecoast@BC

Hello to everyone on this forum and thank you for the "welcome"

Out of curiosity does anyone know what has happened to the Scottie press website?

I have assisted many people with researching their trees through their online forum and for whatever reason I'm having trouble accessing it
Hope someone knows whats going on.

Regardless I'm really enjoying having found you and hope that I can assist in some small way

Near my bedtime and you should be up having your first cup of tea!!
Paul McCabe

Just a small update on 'Charlie', sadly no news on any relatives BUT have found a photo of him.

That's him in centre / front of the photo & overleaf it's ascribed; "I am putting on a bit of weight, can you notice it"

As he perished in TOBRUK in 1942, perhaps its taken over there.....maybe window shutters are a clue.

I was wondering if Charlie & his family were living at 62A County Road in the 1941 census or did he move there due to the blitz ?.

As my Uncle Bill Roberts (his mate) lived in Arlington St & Lamb St.......both close to 'The Rotunda' & that area was heavily bombed.

Anyway, thanks to all who helped look for Charlie.

Stay safe :-)

Cheers

P

ALAMO2008

The 1921 Census due for release 1 Jan 2022
The 1931 Census destroyed in the London Bitz 1940
There was no Census 1941 because of the War
The 1939 Register of Sep/Oct was not a Census but an NHS register for Govt I. D. cards for the War
Paul McCabe

Hi Alamo.......Thanks for the prompt reply.

Just realised that you had already established that Charlie was ensconced in 62a County Rd in 1939......!! (see posts 22/23 December).

Apologies..........& as Homer Simpson would say; "DOH"

Cheers,

Stay safe y'all

P