Boy Drowns in Bootle canal

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Pkegs

marielou wrote:Hi Babs,
I'm also sorry to hear about your brother.

Annie where in Netherton did you loose your Nephew? I remember a young boy loosing his life on the Aintree Station railway lines.

Regards,

Marielou .

I remember a boy died on the Ford station in Netherton in the 50's
Pamsy (Joined: 21 Jul 2006)

Keegan, Hayward, Rigg, Carruthers, Mee, Hough

Born and bred in Bootle
fatboyjoe90

I seem to remember a young lad who drowned in canal late 50s early 60s by coffee house bridge.
Does anyone else remember this?

I apologise if I have caused any distress to anyone.
Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Joe.
marknjen

My uncle Leonard lawson and his friend Charlie Geddes sadly died in the canal by The old sausage works! Len was 7 not sure about poor Charlie's age!
john j connell

fatboyjoe90 wrote:I seem to remember a young lad who drowned in canal late 50s early 60s by coffee house bridge I think his name Charlie Lamb.
Joe, there was a Charlie Lamb who was a pupil at St Winefrides, he was 2 years older than me and as far as i can remember he completed his schooling at St Winefrides, (he was in my brothers class), so i don't think it was him. The only other person with the surname Lamb was Barney Lamb from Pleasant Street and it definitely was not him. JJC.
john james ingham

john Charlie still lives on the irlam estate see him in the strand a lot and always let on to him.john.
born bank rd off strand rd.
john j connell

Thank you John,
fatboyjoe90

John and John reading your posts I’ve got this wrong somehow with the name, from what I remember some lad (who I thought was) jumped into the canal after he nicked some slummy from packman’s scrap yard. The police were chasseing him and dived into the cut and drowned.

I apologise if I have caused any distress to anyone.
Cheers Joe.
john j connell

Genuine mistake Joe, i have sent you a pm with the lads name, JJC.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for putting me straight on this matter John, and thanks for your pm.
Cheers Joe.
john james ingham

sound paul.how are you these days my second home is the hospital.john.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks John, I’m just plodding on as you do I haven’t seen you for a couple of years, I hope it’s nothing too Serious with you having to go to Fazakerley. Do you still see any of the lads from the salt box these days? :wink:

Take care. Paul. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
john james ingham

yes paul its still my local and they are all doin well but its not the same anymore does not get packed now;and its been closed twice in the last 8 months.and yes I am at the hospital on Friday having the camera down and I am on cemo tablets daily you just have to get on with it paul.anway you take care.john.
fatboyjoe90

Sorry to hear about John, Keep in touch and let me know how you are getting on. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Alfie

My best friend , Georgy Feury, drowned in the canal at Millers Bridge in the mid 50's. We both went to St. Winifred's, and I still miss him. --Alfie Beisty--
dezzer

john j connell wrote:
fatboyjoe90 wrote:I seem to remember a young lad who drowned in canal late 50s early 60s by coffee house bridge I think his name Charlie Lamb.
Joe, there was a Charlie Lamb who was a pupil at St Winefrides, he was 2 years older than me and as far as i can remember he completed his schooling at St Winefrides, (he was in my brothers class), so i don't think it was him. The only other person with the surname Lamb was Barney Lamb from Pleasant Street and it definitely was not him. JJC.
John I don't know if heard about the the death of Barny Lamb some years back he was killed in a fight over drugs I believe,it happened in Bideford in Devon, and not long before the passing of my brother Lawrence( 2 years ago )his sister Patsy passed away in Barnstaple hospital , anyway John hope all is well with you i'm still over here in Northern Thailand it's tough going but someone has to do it regards Joe Cunny.
Mostly Northern Thailand.
john j connell

Alfie, i have sent you a private message, let me know if you opened it, thank you JJC.
john j connell

Yes Joe i was aware of all that you say, when you think of it Devon became the final resting place for quite a few people from Bootle, hope you are well Joe, JJC.
Gail Chadwick

Hi Babs, was so sad about ur brother! i was there the day of the drowning, we lived in 3 Back Garden Lane, my brother John was with them at the time he was 9yrs, we were always on the canal as it was next to the prefab! i"ll always remember that day, they made a raft, the wáter had an under current & all the rubbish in the canal,my dad Leonard was walking up & down the canal! my brother John had a blue jumper on like Victor, my dad thought it was John.

I was living with my Gran from the age of 7yrs, but always went to see mum & dad, I was 11yrs at the time!! it was dangerous But we don"t think when were Young.

So Sad for ur parents at that momento.

Gail x
Live Life To The Full, Enjoy every minute.

SMILE.
ab

Hi Babs, I remember your family though we had moved away from the area before your brothers tragic accident, I wasn't aware of your loss until I read your post. It brought back memories of my own brother John falling into the canal between Stanley and Litherland Road bridges, that was in August 1954 and he was rescued by a lad called George Griff who received a certificate from the Liverpool Shipwreck and Humane Society, our family will be eternally grateful to George, so sad to hear about Victor, take care.
Shelagh

So sad for all victims and family's of drowning accident's, especially as it alway's seems to be young innocent children at play. I can remember a little boy from "Pope Street" losing his life in the "Litherland" part of the canal, I knew his elder sister, she and the family were absolutely devastated, the whole community was in shock, I could be mistaken, but I'm sure it was the same little boy named "Leonard" who was spoken of earlier, think it was around the early sixties, apologies if I'm wrong, and my very sincere sympathies to you, a tragic loss such as this must be truly heartbreaking!!
marknjen

Shelagh wrote:So sad for all victims and family's of drowning accident's, especially as it alway's seems to be young innocent children at play. I can remember a little boy from "Pope Street" losing his life in the "Litherland" part of the canal, I knew his elder sister, she and the family were absolutely devastated, the whole community was in shock, I could be mistaken, but I'm sure it was the same little boy named "Leonard" who was spoken of earlier, think it was around the early sixties, apologies if I'm wrong, and my very sincere sympathies to you, a tragic loss such as this must be truly heartbreaking!!
Hi Shelagh,
Leonard's older sister was Linda Lawson now McGrady my mother, they lived in Prior st off knowsley rd,you are correct my mother and my grandparents never did get over the loss of little Len, could i ask you to send me message about your name please and ill mention to you my mum,thanks :wink:
Shelagh

Hello mark, yes, (can still remember the tragedy) very sad time for your family!!
Last edited by Shelagh on Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
marknjen

Hi Shelagh, my mum thinks she remembers you! her memory not as good as it once were :oops: have you any pics of you when you were younger by any-chance please? try get the arl coggs going in her head lol? she thanks you for your lovely kind comments too,ill try get some pics on here if i can find them too,thanks for getting in touch,bet wishes to you and all your family too,take care
mark x
Shelagh

Thanks Mark!!
Last edited by Shelagh on Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
malches

marknjen wrote:
Shelagh wrote:So sad for all victims and family's of drowning accident's, especially as it alway's seems to be young innocent children at play. I can remember a little boy from "Pope Street" losing his life in the "Litherland" part of the canal, I knew his elder sister, she and the family were absolutely devastated, the whole community was in shock, I could be mistaken, but I'm sure it was the same little boy named "Leonard" who was spoken of earlier, think it was around the early sixties, apologies if I'm wrong, and my very sincere sympathies to you, a tragic loss such as this must be truly heartbreaking!!
Hi Shelagh,
Leonard's older sister was Linda Lawson now McGrady my mother, they lived in Prior st off knowsley rd,you are correct my mother and my grandparents never did get over the loss of little Len, could i ask you to send me message about your name please and ill mention to you my mum,thanks :wink:
As a young child I lived in Prior Street and played with Len and Charlie and another boy called Shaun. Shortly after we moved away to Crosby I remember my mother telling me about it. I have often thought about them over the years and think what a tragic waste.
ronbrown11

Hi,
My name is ronny brown we used to live at No 50 across the lane from you if you are Vics younger sister you will not remember the brown family it was so sad Vic had watched the older ones playing on bits of rubbish and I beleive he tried to do the same regards....ronbrown
WatsonTommy

last year 5 people drowned in the cut from BOOTLE village (KING DICKS ) the STRAND and IRLAM ROAD SEFTON COUNCIL are now looking for a life guard :wink:
WatsonTommy

had a mate drowned in the canal near by Pakenham's scrap yard irlam road we had a rope of the railway bridge and we swam in the nude and a lad tommy :?: stole them and took them to packys round the corner and weigh them in as rags for two chicks or a balloon :lol: the chicks were always cockerels and everyone in well :D were I grew up marsh lane everyone had greyhounds chickens budgies pigeons monkeys parrots etc joey Hazlet had a snake cos they were all merchant seaman and the wild life they brought home was unbelievable :)
henry

In our street we also had mice and cockroaches and pet bedbugs who were that friendly they would go to bed with you :D
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Henry!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Sonoma

[quote="WatsonTommy"]had a mate drowned in the canal near by Pakenham's scrap yard irlam road we had a rope of the railway bridge and we swam in the nude and a lad tommy :?: stole them and took them to packys round the corner and weigh them in as rags for two chicks or a balloon :lol: the chicks were always cockerels and everyone in well :D were I grew up marsh lane everyone had greyhounds chickens budgies pigeons monkeys parrots etc joey Hazlet had a snake cos they were all merchant seaman and the wild life they brought home was unbelievable :)[/quote]

Tommy was his name George Furey ? He was a classmate at St Winefrides - around 1958 =/-
Kittycat

Hi Babs, I went to school with him and I've posted a pic including him from Christ Church School. Did not know him very well I always got him confused with Les Chadwick, they where always together and looked so alike! It was a very sad what happened to him.

Kittycat
Dennis Cain

Two recoĺlections as a kid in Netherton
A kid had drowned just past the bridge at Glovers Lane
The police were dragging the canal
A bunch of us climbed the fence to Warwick Bolam school and ran over to the fence by the canal
Vividly remember them hooking on to the poor boys body
We were all chased away of course
Secondly again as a kid we we all watching the barge go by at the swing bridge on St Oswalds Lane when the younger Brown's kid (tony) from Westminster Avenue (next door but one neighbour) fell in as the barge was passing the narrow point
I'll remember this to the day I die
He was essentially trapped in the water between the barge and the side of the canal
A Bargeman gave me a gaff and I hooked onto to
Him and he held on until the barge passed and he was dragged out by bigger people
The Brown's moved to Australia I hear
I hope he has had a good life
I'm sure he will remember it

Dennis Cain
Dan

Speech given by Simon Mahon in the House of Commons in 1959.

Regards

Dan
lynne99

So sad , Dan, all those very young children. I can't understand how some of them got into the position to drown. I suppose I am naive.