Bootle Grammar School class photo 1969-71

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
armchair

Cannot remember the year this was taken.

Back. Ian Wooder, Derek Jenkins, Stephen Jones, Peter Patenden, Sorry big fella cannot remember, Geofrey Webster, Howard Jones, Christopher Carlisle, Bryn Parry, Vincent Moon.

Middle. Ronnie (?) Rimmer, Paul Ford, John Strain, Paul Bibby, Robbie Tulloch (?), Donald Smith, Keith McDonough(?), Tony O'Connor.

Seated. Reginald Quarton, Paul Evans, Stephen Whitelock, (Sorry,cannot recall) (Landry?), (Rankin?) (Hill?), Ralph Cowell, Stephen Meakin.

Cannot be certain on the names marked (?) or (Name?)

Howard Jones, if I have his name correct, joined the police and was the "beat bobby" for the New Strand. He was involved in an accident on his motorbike in the Mersey Tunnel and lost a leg which put an end to his police career.

Are you on this photo? Do you know someone on the photo?

If you can correct or add any information please do so.

Armchair
Lived Worcester Rd. Christ Church Infts+Jnrs Bootle Grammer. Hugh Baird. St Matthews Bootle. Likes Railways and Higsons Bitter
(Available again)
Alan M

I left in Jan'69 but know a few of the names/faces. John Strain used to live in the top half of Clare Road. Reg Quarton,IIRC, had a bit of a physical walking disability but was a bit of a Boffin!! He also had to have special food/diet with no added salt, so everybody tried to sit next to him for school dinners so that they could have his portions!! Kids eh!! :roll:
The best thing about being over the hill is that now I can have some fun and free-wheel down the other side. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL.
kenswayken

Could the big lad at the back be Robbie Hilton, he looked similar if I recall?
Very good centre half. :wink: Ken
robinroyle

Ken, I think Hiltie was about two years older than this lot, who were in the year behind me. Peter Patto was a good footballer, he played in my team, a year ahead of his time, he also had a wicked sense of humour. Vinny Moon lived in Swifts Lane or St Christopher's Avenue just behind the Cabbage Inn. Alan is right about Reggie Quarton being a boffin, evidently public enemy number 1 to this day in all the pub quizzes around Netherton.
kenswayken

Yes, I think you are right Robin, he was older than that class. Ken
Magic4

Couldnt believe I came across this - I'm Ralph Cowle, I married Christine Todhunter who was my friend Paul Bibby's cousin. Celebrated our 40th anniversary this year
I think the big fella is Mick Graham.
Lost touch with everyone else on the photo, a great bunch of lads
Magic4

As for names, the lad next to me at the end of photo is Ronnie Makin, lad on my other side is David Hall. He and Keith MacDonough were like siamese twins for the whole time at Bootle Grammar. Best nates, you neve saw one without the other, so much so they shared a collective nickname - 'Mac-an-Hally' sung along by everyone to the tune of Jackanory! Next to him was Stephen Rankin, not too sure myself about the next two I'm afraid.
Robbert Tulloch is correct, I spent a lot of time with Rob and Chris (Carlisle) after school too as teenagers, fixing up motorbikes etc.
Are you one of the people in this photo Armchair?
Bonesy

Bryn Parry, back row 2nd in on the right lives around the corner from me. Bryn became a teacher and part time author having had a few books published.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/636 ... with-brian
Ken, John Hilton was in my class in school. Do you remember Paul Dixon and Billy Moon both lived round by you.

Keith
Invicta

Robbie had a younger brother but don’t recall his name Cus. I knew his Sister Susan better :wink: K. Moon & Dixon names familiar but don’t know them Keith. Ken
Bri

Anybody who listens to Radio Merseyside will be be familiar with Reg Quarton, a regular participant in all the quizzes and phone-ins as "Reg from Netherton"
Alan Murch

Guys, I left in 1966. I am currently President of Old Bootleians, ex members of Bootle Grammar for Boys. We have about 335 members and hold 2 Functions a year ; Hot Pot and a Dinner plus a very good Golf day at West Lancs Golf Club. We are looking for new members to join or past members to rejoin. Great social events ! Interested ? Let me know . Email: alan.murch@btinternet.com
Give it a go!! Thanks
Glenys

Alan,
Any members who left in the 1950's?
I left the Girls Grammar in 1957, possibly remember some of the boys 8)
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Forshaw

Isn’t it odd Glenys that the boys have had the old Bootleians for as long as I can remember . Whereas the Girls Grammar don’t have anything like that . I am hoping to get to Bootle in the next few weeks . Don’t know if Hillside High will let people look round . I left the Grammar in 1959 so a couple years after you . Strange how those mere 5 years influenced our lives so much .
Dan

October 26 1989 Merseymart

November 2009. Bootle High School ex Countess of Derby (Brown's Lane)

Regards

Dan
VivLee6671

Hi Dan. I was at Countess of Derby School from 1966 to1971 so I left in July. MY sister was at Warwick Bolam (she's six years younger than me) . The pic of the front of the school brought back a load of wonderful memories. Our form streamings were M,R,S,T & W. I was in the M stream through till the 5th year when I was in 5G. Our Headmistress was Mrs Griffith, DEputy Head, Miss W Jones (Winifred .......we between us referred to her as Winnie!!) My form teacher in 5G was Mrs Hoare. The Head of Science was Mr Riding and his wife was Head of the Art Dept. It was a great school, but you know what they say "if it's any good, it won't last last..."
I remember as a little child seeing Princess Margaret being driven along Browns Lane heading to do the official opening of the school, because she was The Countess of Derby (amongst her many titles).
I loved my time there.

Viv

[/list]
Dan wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:02 pm October 26 1989 Merseymart

November 2009. Bootle High School ex Countess of Derby (Brown's Lane)

Regards

Dan
Patricia

Somebody asked for a complete photo of a certain year of Bootle Grammar School - I have just come across same and hope this is what they wanted..............
Dan

armchair wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:40 pm

Cannot remember the year this was taken.

Back. Ian Wooder, Derek Jenkins, Stephen Jones, Peter Patenden, Sorry big fella cannot remember, Geofrey Webster, Howard Jones, Christopher Carlisle, Bryn Parry, Vincent Moon.

Middle. Ronnie (?) Rimmer, Paul Ford, John Strain, Paul Bibby, Robbie Tulloch (?), Donald Smith, Keith McDonough(?), Tony O'Connor.

Seated. Reginald Quarton, Paul Evans, Stephen Whitelock, (Sorry,cannot recall) (Landry?), (Rankin?) (Hill?), Ralph Cowell, Stephen Meakin.

Cannot be certain on the names marked (?) or (Name?)

Howard Jones, if I have his name correct, joined the police and was the "beat bobby" for the New Strand. He was involved in an accident on his motorbike in the Mersey Tunnel and lost a leg which put an end to his police career.

Are you on this photo? Do you know someone on the photo?

If you can correct or add any information please do so.

Armchair
Dan

Patricia wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:10 pm Somebody asked for a complete photo of a certain year of Bootle Grammar School - I have just come across same and hope this is what they wanted..............

Patricia

My brother Keith, is circled on here the handsome one :D :D ( dark hair with blazer & dark Tie - he did love that blazer) :D ,,,,,,,,,
Dan

Patricia wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:00 pm My brother Keith, is circled on here the handsome one :D :D ( dark hair with blazer & dark Tie - he did love that blazer) :D ,,,,,,,,,

Tommy L

Patricia wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:10 pm Somebody asked for a complete photo of a certain year of Bootle Grammar School - I have just come across same and hope this is what they wanted..............
Patricia ,
Thank you for going to the trouble.
It was me that asked [ albeit on a different thread Bootle Grammar Photos 1961 ]
Very kind of you.
Unfortunately still can't see myself as my eyes aren't that good even with the blow ups.
But thanks again anyway

Tom
Patricia

Have just come across these photos and I want to thank Dan for taking the trouble to
enlarge the one with my brother Keith on same. That was so kind of you and I am
forwarding a copy of same to him........Patricia :)
Dan

Patricia

DAN!! You are the TOPS!!! Thank You! :D
Dan

It was one that worked Patricia. :D
Patricia

Tommy - You will notice that Don has done a wonderful job not only coloring the photo but also enlarging same - do you have a magnifying glass? My cousin Olive carries one in her purse all the time and I believe it is getting time for me to also do the same!!!! :D :D