St Marys 1910

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Invicta

I see you Bob :lol: K

Where was St Mary's Bob? Ken
BOBHAMO

Its not me Ken :) :) :)
it was on irlam road then merton road
it is the first school in bootle 1835
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
john j connell

Bob, yet again another fabulous find, just over 40 years later i would have been in and out of the shops shown in the picture.
The shops on the same side as the school and the houses at the rear of the school where destroyed in the blitz.
Pleased to see the sandstone inscription from above the door was salvaged, (was it discovered when they where creating the community garden). JJC.
Invicta

Cheers Bob, another great find. :wink: Ken
bboardman

Hi Bob--you really are something special.That photo took me right back, brilliantly, on my Time Travel Machine.I went to the Kindy next to St Mary's aged 3 years in 1945 just to the r/h side in your pic.I remember Lambs Timber on the l/h side.Opposite was the cemetary and to the r/h of that was Littlewoods Pools where me Mam worked.WOW!!! I'm looking forward to buying you as much beer as you want on my next visit home---Cheers Billy
BOBHAMO

Yes John i took photos the other year of the sandstone
Ken ,Bill , it is great that these photos can be published on the site
it is the only good photo of the school
the site is now used as a community hub
with lots of groups using it i do remember the old school before it was demolished
glad it brings back memories :D :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Shelagh

Great old photograph, Bob..this picture certainly tells a story..notice the stark contrast between the children dressed immaculately...white starched collars and pinafores,
while other poor beggars go in dirty rags and barefooted to school..very hard times for some!
School was situated directly opposite St Mary's church, church building destroyed during the blitz, but the old churchyard still remains, (very useful for amateur historians)
Some of the old headstones surround the walls of the garden, many still legible!
Have a special interest in this place, as my great grandfathers funeral went from St Johns terrace to St Mary's church 1880s, he would have been laid to rest in church garden..
Remains later being disturbed to transport to Bootle cometary during the fifties :(

Irlam road holding so much history for Bootle, once an affluent area, a theatre and a circus being amongst some of the attractions, plus another school St. James Select...

Thanks for interesting photos Bob, always appreciated :wink: