cryptic's

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
Bill fawcett

Incorrect Shelagh.
This male artist has the same Christian name as a female actress, and the same surname as an author. A further clue, the TV
Program is a hospital one.

Bill
Bernie R

5 Merle Haggard

Elm backwards with ER in it followed by author H Rider Haggard (of 'She' fame)
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Bernie R

Note to self - if copying from previous page don't do it when the next page is nearly full or you'll need to do it again soon! :lol: :lol:

Copied from previous page to help us re-focus on 4 and 6 - I've been a bit presumptive that I just got number 5 as its stands up to the clue so much.

All music personalities

1. This pack had a test on the last picture - Wolfgang Motzart
2. The Swiss sound as though they had a night back at the hairdressers - Chris Barber
3. Could be a little bird got cover in the north - Jenny Lind
4. Sounds like the searcher found the princess asking her chaps if they were up for it - (an instrumentalist)
5. The tree was returned with the TVs programme in it and could it be a rider came after it - Merle Haggard
6. Folk had this to get fantasy junction with thanks going to Kings in the east - (Country)
7. The golfer would hope he could do this with the bunker beneath the pine. - Carrie Underwood
8. A female before the measurement in the centre of the backside - Lady Antebellum
9. The Saint with some scousers mothers. - Bruno Mars
10. Two Kings got together - James Arthur
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Bill fawcett

Thanks again Bernie, and you have every right to be presumptive, as it is the correct answer.
Congratulations

Bill
Shelagh

6. Could be ....LORETTA LYNN :?
Bill fawcett

Shelagh your a star, Loretta Lynn it is, congratulations. :D
Only one to go now.

Bill
Bernie R

4 Yehudi Menuin?
Bill fawcett

Well done Bernie

Sounds like the searcher( Yahoo), the princess ( Di), asking her chaps if they were up for it (" men, you in?")
Ya Hu Di. Men you in? = Yahudi Menuin

Hooray all complete. After being on for a week, the answers all came in a rush at the end.

Well done folks for solving a tricky set.

Bill
bjones

Well done Shelagh and Bern on those last two and thanks(I think :shock:) Bill.
Worked out Menuin once Bernie had posted but needed Bill's explaination for Yehudi. Similarly can now work out Lynn (Kings Lynn in East Anglia) but can't get Loretta. Please save me worrying away at it any more and explain Bill or Shelagh.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Shelagh

Hi Bee, my reasoning may not match with Bill's, but will do my best :)

Folk had this = Law - Lore - to get fantasy = E - junction = T - with thanks = Ta :) the Lynn is as explained :wink:

Well done to us three; pat on the back, gang :D (bloody hard work)

Thanks Bill, you've driven us crazy with those tough cryptic's (we enjoy them really) don't know how you do it..takes great skill to compile..well done you :D

Psst..Never was an extra T in Mozzart :wink:
Last edited by Shelagh on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
filsgreen

I must admit to being totally flummoxed by Bill's cryptics, Bee. I think folk (lore) and thanks (ta) I'm trying my best to get one, but the clues are so abstract, I mean Mozart is not spelled with Mot and Yahoo is a seach engine, its a long shot to call it a searcher, but people arrived at the answers regardless. :shock: I find it amazing that no one has got my feeble effort. :)

Our posts crossed Shelagh, now get working on mine :)
Shelagh

Will do Phil, but after "Fearless" seriously hooked on this one, lots of twists and turns, with more to follow :shock:
Bill fawcett

Hi folks, I do apologise for my bloomer over Mozart :oops: it's no wonder you couldn't get it. I will try to get things correct next time. :roll:
P.S. Shelagh, there never was an extra z in Mozart either :D ( your mistake didn't matter though, mine did :cry: )

Bill
filsgreen

No need for apologies, Bill, your cryptics are always solved. :) I think I'm going to have to try and study your way of thinking more. Thanks for taking the time and effort.
Shelagh

Brain fog must be kicking in again Bill :roll: didn't realise I'd doubled on the Z :)
put it down to age, I do :lol:
Bernie R

Nice one Bill - thanks for a challenging, but enjoyable, set of clues.

Bern
lily8

Thanks Bill I had a very busy few days so no go from me this time but enjoyed the mental hi jinks of Beej, Bern and Shelagh :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lily
Bill fawcett

Thanks for the comments folks, they did seem to be a bit more challenging this time, but I would rather it be like that than you all solving them in ten minutes, and then me having to try and come up with some more.
Regarding Phil's comment, when setting cryptic clues the compiler has to be allowed a bit of licence. For instance, if I had said
"Sounds like a search engine" it would have been solved in five minutes, so I said "sounds like a searcher"
If you all think they were too difficult, let me know before I set another lot.

Cheers Bill :evil:
bjones

Thanks Bill for spending your time setting yet another scary set. As Shelagh has said; they do all get solved in the end.
Like Lily I've been full of busy but even had I had more time most of those would have been beyond me..
I know where you're coming from with "licence". I'd assumed that was the reason for the extra T in Mozart - as with several other clues it lead to the pronounciation rather than the spelling. At least I've heard of Wolfgang Mozart! My biggest problem is that I've never heard of many of the people I'm looking for - Jenny Lind, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn and Carrie Underwood ? :(

And thanks Phil for explaination - I couldn't see where "fantasy" came into it until you pointed out FOLKLORE which is sort of fairytale/fantasy

So ta again Bill and please keep up the good work :D
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Bill fawcett

Thanks Bee, I can assure you that the extra T in Mozart was not 'licence' it was a pure spelling mistake on my part :oops:

Bill
Shelagh

Bill, this was a great set of cryptic's, everyone of them..don't know how you manage to come up with them..it's a natural talent :wink:
Yes some were difficult (4 8 5) but this game has certainly kept us focused :)
Don't really want them too easy...more interesting when there's a bit of a challenge!!
Very fortunate to have two great cryptic compilers on the forum...you and Bern doing a terrific job :D and much appreciated!

ManyThanks Bill, (you can now have well earned rest :wink: )
Bill fawcett

Well folks you've had a few months rest, so it's time for a few more cryptics. I've put some easy ones in to break you in gently.

Musical Acts
------------------

1. I state that the wise men must come in.

2. If you get them back they won't have changed.

3. To a degree your grandmother got a ruin back.

4. Got the shabby drink back.

5. It sounds as though if you initially change her , she will become quite chubby.

6. Could be the old night club.

7. After dinner performers.

8. Maybe the horsemen got the writer in.

9. A healthy place to outdo the supermarket.

10. You could get a car by the birdhouse with a tree in it.
Bernie R

1 Imagination
2 Status Quo
7 Sweet
9 Jim Morrison
filsgreen

Is 6 The Allisons?
Bill fawcett

Well done Bernie, 1 and 7 are correct but 2 and 9 are both good answers but incorrect.

Congratulations Phil
6 is correct

Bill
Bernie R

3 Bananarama?
8 Carpenters?
Shelagh

5. Chubby Checker?
Shelagh

9. Sparks?
bjones

2. ABBA?
Bee

Shelagh

4. Champagne?
Bill fawcett

Bernie , well done, 3 and 8 both correct

Bee, 2 correct, well done

Shelagh, all incorrect I'm afraid.

Bill
Shelagh

Oh dear, not much joy with this latest set Bill :(

Try 5. Bonnie Tyler?
Bill fawcett

Sorry not her Shelagh. Keep going they'll come eventually :)

Bill
Bernie R

Second attempt at number 9.... Jim Capaldi (gym cap Aldi)
Bill fawcett

Congratulations Bernie, you're reasoning is spot on. Well done.
Down to the harder ones now.

Bill