broadway stores

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
frank delamere

i remember the broadway stores well, i went to linacre school with their eldest son i think DAVID ARMSTRONG. he would bring into school, some of the latest things they had, to show them. naturally everybody went round to the shop. i found his parents quite nice myself, the father could be a little dour sometimes. they had an elder daughter, and another son.
in linacre juniors, they had the cardboard money to teach us. i stole about three-pence one day, and walked into chippy next to the post office it was owned by a MRS GEE, she did know me of course. and when i asked for three
penny worth of chips, she gave them to me. i think she was on the council, or something to do with AUNT MARGARET. her daughter was a policewoman.
but mrs gee was a lovely person. always smiling.SORRY SORRY FOLKS
IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MRS GIBSON

frank
Last edited by frank delamere on Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ron waters

FRANK Today in Maghull I was talking to a man named Jim Elliot who is the author of a book titled Once upon a time in Liverpool and he told me his wifes family owned the Broadway Stores , her maiden name is June Armstrong .RON W
margaret willee

Ron and Frank . my brother is friends with Jim E, and he has just been to Denamrk and gave me the book you should all read it . brings back lots off memories ... and yes his wife is June from the broadway stores ..
small world .
have a great day .......
ron waters

MAGGIE THIS afternoon I called to see Jim and June , they are only 5mins away and I bought one of his books , I suggested he log onto the forum which he tried without success so I m going to ask Mack to help him From Ron W
Peter W

A couple of years back I was talking to a member of a family who started the Laguna Revellers. He was telling me about Kazzoo's The posh ones were made by Hoener who made mouthorgans and they had a horn on the end which projected the sound out. He told me about the small Kazzoo's which all the kids played, these were after the paper and comb ones. (Izal toilet paper was the best). When I was in Stanley Road the next day I wondered if Kazzoo's were still available. The only place I thought would have them would be the Broadway Stores. i went in and asked. The lady in the shop said how many do you want and brought out a box from the back. I now have a Kazzoo, Der, De, Der, De, Der.
frank delamere

ron waters wrote:FRANK Today in Maghull I was talking to a man named Jim Elliot who is the author of a book titled Once upon a time in Liverpool and he told me his wifes family owned the Broadway Stores , her maiden name is June Armstrong .RON W
hi ron, next time you see june, would you ask for her brothers name please?? and how he is getting on
frank
margaret willee

Ron /W it is a small world . June visited my mum a lot and was a big help ,( she was house bound ). They both came to her funeral . .hope they get hooked up on this forum ,
have a great day .......
ron waters

FRANK I think Junes brothers name is Eric RON
Mack
Site Admin

Here is a pic from a previous thread here where we discussed "The Broadway Stores".

Best wishes

Mack
annie

thats a cracking picture mack that little shop should be kept as part of bootle heritage as it hs been in so many peoples lives for so many years and everyone has such fond memories of it
frank delamere

ron waters wrote:FRANK I think Junes brothers name is Eric RON
hey ron, i am pretty sure you are right, frank
henry

OLD TOPICS ON BROADWAY STORES
Patricia Simpson

In the 50's I would go with mum to the Broadway stores late on Christmas Eve for stocking fillers for the younger ones, they would stay open until midnight.
Then two young brothers served there I think their surname was Stone and was some relation to June.

A few months ago I bought a sister mug for my sister, one of the owners served me and she must be about 80yrs. or more we had a talk about past times about the shop and was thrilled with so many people remembering her. Pat
margaret willee

[quote="Patricia Simpson"]In the 50's I would go with mum to the Broadway stores late on Christmas Eve for stocking fillers for the younger ones, they would stay open until midnight.
Then two young brothers served there I think their surname was Stone and was some relation to June.

A few months ago I bought a sister mug for my sister, one of the owners served me and she must be about 80yrs. or more we had a talk about past times about the shop and was thrilled with so many people remembering her. Pat[/quote
That was the step mom off june . my Brother is friends with June and husband . they were at my mums funeral ..... and yes she is over 80 ...
have a great day .......
ANDREA

I loved the "Broadway stores" you could find anything you ever wanted in there. It was like stepping back in time. My Nan and my Mum & Dad used to take my sister and me in. I remember once my dad bought me a bead kit in the shape of a butterfly, and the man who owned the shop had to climb up a ladder to get it, as i can recall there were shelves around the top half of the shop. Happy Days :D
garthur

I remember the Broadway Stores! My friend and I found a 10/- note once - way back in the very early60's - and spent it down at the Broadway.
bootlebuck

garthur wrote:I remember the Broadway Stores! My friend and I found a 10/- note once - way back in the very early60's - and spent it down at the Broadway.
Mind PC Wooley do'nt nick you fer not handing it in :D
Steuart.
Jim Elliott,

Hi everybody. My name is Jim Elliott, I married June Armstrong who's family own the Broadweay stores. I'm sure she must have served all of you who shopped there years ago. I've written a book which appears to be quite successful, it's called "once upon a time in Liverpool" and can be purchased from the Broadway stores or direct from me. My telephone number is 0151 531 7885. the book is priced at £10.00 plus post and package. It would be nice to answer all your questions concerning the broadway stores and all the family etc. June my wife will answer any questions your prepared to ask. I look forward to hearing from you. jim
margaret willee

morning jim was in boolte last week and went there with my daughter , we bought some things for the gran kids , and took pictures inside , just how i remmeber it as a kid , who would have thought I would be buying for the gran kids .... sorry didn't get to ring you but Peter kept us busy ,, blame it on him ...
margaret .
have a great day .......
Mack
Site Admin

Mack....... I took this picture off the inside off the Broadway stores , on my trip to Bootle ...
Thought some off you would like to see it's still the same ..

Thanks .....Margaret
Peter W

What else are you going to blame me for Margaret. Nice picture though.
annie

what a smashing picture margaret. it still looks like aladdins cave and so colourful
bootlebuck

:D The only thing different to the 50s in the store:- the PC Brigade had'nt made them put up a "NOS MO KING" sighn. mind we could'nt afford them then :D .
Steuart.
Jim Elliott,

Hi everybody,
The picture Margaret took of the Broadway stores is very good, and what's so unbelievable is the prices have remained exactly the same!
I always say that the store is "caught in a time warp" Anyway thanks Margaret and thanks to everybody who is interested.
Jim Elliott, husband of June Armstrong who's family still own the Broadway Stores.
henry

Just read Jim Elliots book named Once upon a time in Liverpool which i bought in the Broadway stores and i really do recomend it as it is very moving and graphic and really does relate to nearly everybody who has lived in Liverpool as i can recall a lot of his life as if it was mine in my early years Well worth the price and as stated earlier a very good read
Best wishes to you Jim for your memories.
annie

i needed to buy a very special present for a very special friend and was passing the broadway stores on my scooter and there it was in the window. it is a figurienne of a dancer .she is a gold colour and her cotume is cream. she is beautiful and looks so classy. i hope my friend likes her as much as i do-- i think she would have cost a lot lot more in any other shop-- the little shop turned up trumps again
n3ttl3

bootlebuck wrote: :D The only thing different to the 50s in the store:- the PC Brigade had'nt made them put up a "NOS MO KING" sighn. mind we could'nt afford them then :D .
Steuart.
Didn't Nosmo King used to play the Empire????????????

I'll get me coat!

Annettex
Always a Carey, Never a Traitor!
Lazza

Beautiful photo thank you.
The broadway stores was a treasure trove for kids, we would regularly buy a yard of "Donkey rubber" to make our "cattys" and enjoy hours of pinging bottles and cans on many of the "Debris"

I bought my first mouth organ there and I think they had a good supply of novelties like stink bombs etc. but for that kind of merchandise It was the "Wizards Den" in Liverpool or does anyone remember that little joke shop in New Brighton?
billygooner

my wife has lived in rufford road all her life the broardway stores is on the corner of the street. she was talking to one of the sons. and he said his farther started the stores in 1925 .the name of the family that own the stores is armstrong.
paula j

hi all i remember bying pretend ciggies in that shop in the 70s i used to love the tricks anyway i got these cigs they looked real you would blow them and a little puff of 'smoke'would come out i was stood in a shop doorway on knowsley rd'it sold ladies undergaarments'when one of me mams friends spotted me,gave me a right telling off she did then told me mum she had caught me smoking i must have been about 7 but we all had a laugh when everyone realised. it was magic that shop.
Gail Chadwick

:D Hi i remember the Records u could get there, all the old singles as well. Mr Armstrong was a very cheerful man.

I see his younger daughter Silvia in the shop , as always shop in there when i"m home, staying with my Family in the Street. :)

Gail x
Live Life To The Full, Enjoy every minute.

SMILE.
edaref

I to remember the Broadway Store or 'armie's' as we called it. The chippy next door but one was run by jim and Edna Gibbs who wwere good friends of my parents. The shop was always mad busy on a Friday lunchtime and Edna had a volcanic temper. Any kids messing around in the shop would be told ' there are two smacked bums in this hand'. Their 2 daughters were June and Beryl. June, who sadly died a few years back was the policewoman. she was also a very talented singer and performed professionally with the likes of Ken Dodd and also in amateur musicvals with Crosby &Waterloo. Beryl was Bootle May Queen sometime in the late 40's.
Mack
Site Admin

Hi Ed

I remember buying Bronko matches there. They were match boxes with different coloured flames when you struck the match against the matchbox. Such an awesome idea at the time... Red, Green, Blue coloured flames, we were fascinated with this use of colour in matches when we were kids...

Mack
edaref

Hi Mack,

Yes! For some reason they were called Bengal Lights. I too spent a fortune on them, along with caps for any number of toy pistols. My abiding memory of 'Armie' was the fag hanging out of the corner of his mouth. Happy days.
daveowe

Ed
I had almost forgotten Mr Armstrongs fag hanging out the corner of his mouth, I remember the stool he stood on behind the counter to reach over to collect your money though. I went in the shop last year to see if if they possibly sold a certain style ladies suede watch strap, yes and in a multitude of colours as well, Sylvia the daughter even fitted it for me. They still have every item throughout the shops windows price tagged, as in the old days. Spoke with 'Gilly' Armstrong the youngest son he looked the ringer of his Dad.
Mr and Mrs Gibbs became neighbours on Knowsley Rd when they left the chippy, your neighbour Barry Daulby was related to the Gibbs family.
Dave