Klondyke help please?

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
marknjen

Hi peeps,
I've successfully managed to get a memorial for William Klondyke Jones, I also managed to get the local junior School
Involved in designing it, the head has also kindly agreed to have the memorial on the school grounds for protection against the local yobs! I will post pictures and announce the grand opening on here for anyone wishing to attend too, I just need to check something have I got all names of his streets correct please? Annie,Marion,Mary,Eleanor,Elizabeth,Edith,Menai,Willard,Humphrey,Glynne,Staley,Monfa,Arvon,Church,Mona,Springwell.

Have I missed any?
Cheers
Mark
marknjen

Also if anyone is on Ancestry if you type in first names....William Klondyke surnames...Jones then search
Scroll down to trees on the left and a chap called Glynn Jones has done William Klondyke Jones tree!
Very interesting as most of the names above are his relatives as we knew, but still interesting if your interested
Cheers
Mark
Jan

Hi Mark,

Fantastic news, well done.

I am sure you have all the street names correct in the Klondyke. There were also the "Welsh" Streets off Irlam Road that William (Klondyke) Jones built. Rhyl, Anglesey etc.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
marknjen

Cheers Jan x
griffo

The names of the streets look correct to me. I can't think of any others from Klondyke.
filsgreen

Wasn't the left hand side of Province Road built by Mr Jones?
griffo

Yes, as you walked up Province Road from Hawthorne Road, the houses on the left were part of William Jones estate. Rebecca Tennant lived in 17 Province Road until she died. She moved into the house with her parents when she was two in 1888.
griffo

Lalla Mc Dermott wrote a book called Orrell Klondyke Gateway to the past. It says
" Province Road where she ( Rebecca Tennant ) lived had only ten houses when she first arrived. These houses had extended gardens and people not only gre flowers and vegetables but some also kept hens and chickens."
marknjen

Thanks Griffo, sorry for late reply been away on holiday x
marknjen

Hi peeps,
The unveiling of William klondyke Jones memorial is October 4th 2pm at Springwell park school Menai road, the actual memorial is on the corner of Menai road, watts lane, park lane junction! Anyone is welcome to attend too.
Thanks
Mark
everliver

Very interesting post with regards to Klondyke have you done a PDF or Powerpoint on this if so could you send it to me, please.

Kind Regards Bobby
everliver

Can you give Postcode Springwell park school Menai road

Thank you Regards Bobby
marknjen

Hi Bobby,
Here's address
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=UTF-8 ... IgAQ%3D%3D

Not sure what you mean re PDF or PowerPoint sorry?
Thanks
Mark
marknjen

Photos of memorial

Made up mayor Dave Robinson and MP Peter dowd turned up,
It's made from William Jones bricks that he made! The k is for klondyke and colours represent Welsh flag as William was Welsh, 480 Is his first amount of houses for klondyke,street names after his family members and a bit of Welsh slate too!
I'm just made up its actually done! Quite a lot of people really happy on klondyke Facebook page too! Happy for them!
Just got to get Marion put on it as they forgot it :roll:
Mark
Mack
Site Admin

Great stuff :D :D :D

Mack :)
Glenys

Well done.
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
marknjen

Thanks, does anyone know or have a list if actual houses William built please? Up in klondyke area, I have the main ones which have been demolished, Hence me getting memorial done,but was wondering if he built any on Thornton and Mount Avenues and Diana Rd? The houses look very much his style? It's just someone asked on Facebook why wasn't Thornton on the memorial? Someone replied the memorial is for the homes and roads demolished, it just got me thinking so I took a walk around the streets, God knows what residents thought seeing this skinhead lad looking at their houses... :lol:
Suprised the old bill weren't called out to get me :wink:
Thanks
Mark
everliver

Mark well done Bobby
Shelagh

Lovely memorial, Mark,
You should be proud, very well done :)
marknjen

Cheers, if anyone knows or has relations in Thornton or mount avenue or Diana rd please reassure them the skin headed lad wasn't a thief eyeing up their lovely homes :lol: :lol:
But them houses definitely have strong similarities of William Jones houses :?
Hope someone can help me!
Thanks
Mark
Prospice

Mark

The council will have records of this, remember all those yellowed papers in the town hall basement ;-)

Seriously though I will see if I can get you a contact
marknjen

Cheers Prospice, I'm sure I read something about Springwell house workers or something and homes being built for workers! Unless it was the few houses called sea view cottages which were on Springwell road which William bought and installed his famous gate posts...I know these were built for the workers...maybe Thornton and mount and Diana were built for the workers too if William didn't build them....sure look like his homes though... :?