St Alexanders church marriages

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Jan

:D

I thought some folks might be interested in this site for some St Alexanders church marriages. There is some for other Bootle (Catholic churches).

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... INDEX.html

Jan
campo

Good find Jan
Brian Campion
Jan

:lol:

I am so nosey, hahaha.

I found that some of the marriages listed had GRO REf could not be found, so I did a bit of searching, there is one there listed in 1936 between William James Carr and Mabel Egan, 6th July.

In fact it was Apr -Jun Q 1935 Liverpool S Vol 8b page 504

I also found it on the lancsbmd site.

CARR William EGAN Mabel Liverpool South, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool REG_LPS/9/91

That ref is for Liverpool Registry office, and it was a Catholic marriage.

I have notified the person who's site it is. There are loads more GRO refs missing. I will try and find more.

Jan
Jan

Found another one, there is one there between David Morrison and Helen Grimes 14th Sept 1935.

it was in 1933, Oct -Dec Q West Derby vol 8b page 984

or lancsbmd

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1933
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
MORRISON David GRIMES Ellen West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool REG_WD/507/147

Jan
campo

Wow!!!! your like a female Joe Columbo....hope your raincoat is in better condition though.. ha
Brian Campion
Kathy John Moorcroft

Jan, or should I say Miss Marple, good on you, I can see you wont rest till you sort it out.. :shock: :shock: .

Cheers KATHY...
Jan

:lol: :lol:

Hahaha,

I am enjoying myself,

I have found yet another one!

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1934

RUSK James BANNISTER Sarah Liverpool North, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool REG_LN/1/42

Have a look at the entry in St Alexanders for 1935

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... -1941.html

I will go to bed (honest)!

Jan
Kathy John Moorcroft

Had a look Jan very interesting.. I am trying to find out when Mum and Dad got married, maybe you can help..
They where married in St Andrews Church Linacre Road, not sure of the year Mum was born in 1904 Catherine Cocker. Dad Richard Mercer, so guessing maybe 1922/26..
Cheers KATHY..
LadyD

Hi Kathy
Jan will be asleep right now---so am filling in--on the late shift.

Took a little while but your mum and dad were married December quarter 1927 West Derby REF 8b 712

Dorothy
Born Benedict St, Moved to Ford.Married lived Breeze Hill then Formby
Now in Florida after living all over the world.
Jan

Hi Kathy,

The marriage registers are at Liverpool Records Office on either microfilm or book form. You can get a copy of the marriage cert for your parents from there. I know you are not able to go in person, but someone may be willing to go for you and get a copy :wink: If it's from microfilm it will be 30p or in original book form it would have to be a hand written copy, the records office don't let people photo copy from the books, or a photo of the entry in the book would be allowed.

RefNo 283 MWB
Title ST. MATTHEW, BOOTLE
Date 1887-1992
Description Parish records. The collection comprises - Baptism registers, 1887 - 1966, Marriage registers, 1892 - 1968, Banns registers, 1899 - 1980, Service registers, 1887 - 1958, Confirmation registers, 1936 - 1971, Parochial Church Council minute books, 1891 - 1994, Vestry and Annual Church Meetings minute books, 1891 - 1994, Finance Committee Meetings minute books, 1922 - 1959, Miscellaneous minute books, 1904 - 1964, Financial records, 1892 - 1984, St. Matthew Parish magazine, 1900 - 1992, Electoral rolls, 1920 - 1971, Service book, 1928, 'Friendly Hour' Members' registers, 1925 - 1969, Memorabilia and miscellaneous records, 1911 - 1995.
AdminHistory St. Matthew was opened in March 1887 but was not consecrated until December 1891. The name of the parish changed in Apr 1892 from Walton on the Hill (St. Matthew's District) to St. Matthew, Bootle.
Extent 298 volumes, 9 bundles, 2 items
AccessConditions Access will be granted to any accredited reader.

Thanks Dorothy for finding the year and the quarter.

Jan
Kathy John Moorcroft

Wow , thanks Dorothy and Jan, The dynamic duo..

So does that mean they were married at St Matthews Church Bootle, if so where is it??.
I have a neice in Wales who might be able to get a copy for me, unless I can do it over the net...

Thanks once again.

Cheers KATHY.
Jan

:oops: :oops:

Hi Kathy,

My apologies, I re read your post and saw it was St Andrews church your parents married in, I don't know where I got St Matthews from. St Matthews is in Stanley Road.

I will have a look for St Andrews on Liverpool Records Office website.

Jan
Jan

:oops: :?

Hi Kathy,

I have tried to find out where St Andrews parish registers are kept, there is nothing on Liverpool Records Office website.

They could be in Crosby Library.

Or failing that you could order a copy of the marriage cert on line at the GRO in Southport.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/order ... /index.asp

quoting the year, quarter and vol and page number Dorothy has given.

So sorry about that. but out of curiosity I will e-mail Crosby library and ask them if they have the registers there.

Jan
Jan

:D

Kathy,

I think I have sorted out St Andrews church, it was on Stanley Road on the corner of St Andrews Road, I think that part of Stanley Road later became Linacre Road.

I think the church is now St Philips (don't quote me on that) but I found St Philips Litherland on the Liverpool records office website, so the marriages for St Andrews could be under St Philips. Confusing I know!

If I get the chance this week, I will go to the records office myself and have a look.

This is from Liverpool records office website.

RefNo 283 LIT
Title St. Philip's Church, Litherland.
Date 1863 - 1971
Description Church records. The collection comprises - Baptism registers, 1863 - 1946, Marriage registers, 1871 - 1954, Banns registers, 1968 - 1971, Confirmation registers, 1887 - 1942, Service registers, 1869 - 1961, Annual Vestry and Parochial Church Meetings minute books, 1916 - 1950, Parochial Church Council minute books, 1920 - 1939, Committee minute books, 1908 - 1956, Financial records, 1863 - 1944, Second World War Roll of Service, 1939 - 1942, Printed material, Records of St. Mark's Mission Church, 1899 - 1904 and St. Philip's Church of England Day School, 1926 - 1948.
AdminHistory Prior to the late 1850's there was no Church of England place of worship in Litherland. Local residents had formerly worshipped at Sefton Church or, after its opening in August 1815, at St. Thomas', Seaforth. At the end of the 1850's a room over Litherland Hotel stables was rented and made fit for the celebration of Divine Service. These services were conducted by curates from Sefton Church. The stables accommodation was soon found to be inadequate. A committee was formed and the first public meeting to discuss the possibility of building a church for Orrell and Litherland was held on 15th April 1861. After some difficulties agreement was finally reached and a site for the church was offered by Lord Sefton (4th Earl of Sefton). The foundation stone was laid on 25th Sep 1861. The architect of the new building was W. H. Gee of Liverpool who had been '...highly successful in producing a neat and artistic design'. The church was opened in Sep 1863 by 'Rector Duffield' [of Sefton] and was consecrated on 9th August 1864 by the Bishop of Chester. The first Vicar of Litherland was the Reverend W. J. Turner, previously one of the Sefton curates who had officiated at services in the Litherland Hotel stables.

A committee was formed to raise funds to pay for the cost of the church building and generous financial contributions were received through '...the liberality of Mr. Charles Kurtz...'. The Church, Vicarage and Living were vested in five Trustees, but it was not until 1927 that an endowment was attached to the living.

Three daughter churches were built in the parish - St.Mark's Mission Church, Scarisbrick Avenue, built 1899, St. Andrew's Church, Linacre Road, built in 1901 and St. James, Orrell Hey. Of the two latter, St. Andrew's was replaced by the present church and consecrated in 1904 and St. James' was replaced by the present church of St. John and St. James, consecrated in 1911. St. Mark's Mission Church survived to the 1914 - 1918 War. During the First World War '...the Munitions Department of the Government built a factory as an extension of Brothereton's Tar Works, the fumes from which did very extensive damage to the Parish Church ... and rotted the ironwork of St. Mark's Church and the Men's Institute in Scarisbrick Road'. As a result of this damage St. Mark's and the Men's Institute had to be demolished.

Jan
Kathy John Moorcroft

Jan thanks for all your hard work, you are right about the Church on the corner of St Andrews Rd opposite Johnson's Dye works on Linacre Rd or Stanley Rd, as I don't know where the changeover from Bootle and Litherland is. I thought that must be St Andrews?.

St Philips is on the corner of Church Rd and Orrell Rd, that's were John and I got married.
Don't go to the records office on my account, you have done so much and I really do appreciate what you have done..You are a star..

Cheers KATHY..
daveowe

Hi Jan and Kathy

St Andrews Church is still on the corner of St Andrews Road/Stanley Road. Linacre Road starts from St Andrews Road, although the church is within the Bootle boundry it has a strong affinity with Litherland is often referred as being St Andrews church, Litherland. The postcode for St Andrews Rd, is L30 being a Bootle suffix. (Litherland postcode is L21)

The church is opposite Johnsons Dye Works, the Johnson family had strong connections with the church and supported it financially, it was a good place to be seen by the management, if you worked at the dye works!

There is currently some joint sharing of the religious administration between St Andrews and St Matthews church's.

Dave
Jan

Thanks Kathy and Dave for the info.

I am still curious where their records are. I have e-mailed Crosby library, but no reply yet, I think they close early on Sat.

I have just been looking at my 1906 map of Bootle and found the church on there.

Jan
Kathy John Moorcroft

Thanks Jan, if you here from them it would be great..

Thanks Daveowe, I always find the Bootle and Litherland changeover hard to figure out.

Cheers KATHY.
Jan

:lol: :lol:

I have just found the phone number of the vicarage hehe.

St. Andrews C of E Church Litherland
St. Andrews Vicarage, St. Andrews Rd, Bootle, Merseyside L20 5EX
Tel: 0151 922 7916

Jan
Kathy John Moorcroft

Top marks Jan, you never give up do you.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers KATHY.
Jan

It all helps Kathy,

It will come in handy for future reference if the question of the church ever comes up again from other researchers.

Jan
Kathy John Moorcroft

That was a confusing one, the Church in Litherland and the Vicarage in Bootle. Well done Jan, midnight, off to bed.

KATHY..
Jan

After doing a bit more research behind the scenes so to speak, I have found that St Andrews Church registers are still at the church.

Jan
daveowe

Hi Jan

St Andrews Road is located in Bootle, the church buildings are on the Bootle side of St Andrews Road, as I previously posted the church is often referred to St Andrews Litherland, when in reality it is situated in Bootle!

Regards Dave
Scully

Hi Jan,
Thank you for that link about St Alexanders. I was christened there in 1957 only because my mam was visiting my grandparents in Ceres St & went into labour early & gave birth to me in their house. I lived in Kirkby until I was 12 when we moved back to Ceres St but a lot of my childhood was spent there as Ceres St was mainly made up of my relatives. We were rehoused to Huyton when they knocked down the houses in the street, my sister in law Cath (nee)Power was the last one to be rehoused from the street. I had such fond memories of the area that I got permission to marry in St Alex's.
I always enjoy your posts & also Colette's on the Liverpool genealogy site.
For anyone who might know some of my family & relatives from that area here are a few surnames.
Scully-Black-Davies-Hickey-Wilson-O'Neill-Hollywood-Mawdsley-Power.
Best wishes & kind regards,
Tracey.
Ronny

St Andrew's Church was built as a sister church to St Philip's Church, Orrell Road in the parish of Litherland. The need arose because of Litherland's growing population and for the 'pastoral care' of the growing populace in the parish, south of the canal in the Linacre Road and Bridge Road areas.

St Andrew's Mission began in 1901 at 2 Delta Street (now Empire Road), Litherland. The foundation stone of the church being laid on 9th May, 1903 by Helena Mary, Countess of Sefton. The church opened in 1904 with the first vicar being the senior curate of St Philip's Church - The Reverend George Jackson.

Cheers,
Ronnie.
Baptised at St Andrew's Church.

Research not shared, is worthless.
Kathy John Moorcroft

Very good Ronny, thanks for info and pics, great old Baptism Card..

It looks bigger than I remember, and lovely inside..

Cheers KATHY.
Ronny

Thanks, Kathy.

I've attached an image of St Andrew's war memorial with one parishioner losing her life on the S.S. "Lusitania":

Eleanor Dodwell
Aged 26
Stewardess
Daughter of Mary Dodwell
16 Brook Road
Bootle

The VC holder is the son George William Paton a director of the board of Bryant & May's Match Works of Litherland and Bow in London. His name is also inscribed on the Bryant & May war memorial that was located at the match-works on Linacre Road. The memorial was moved to the Garston B&M match-works after the bombing of the Litherland match-works in the 'May Blitz' of 1941. When the Garston factory closed the memorial was placed in the care at the Litherland branch of the British Legion in Orrell road.

Cheers,
Ronnie

ST ANDREW'S CHURCH WAR MEMORIAL
WALL-MOUNTED ROLL OF HONOUR. WOODEN FRAME WITH FOLIATED RELIEF AT TOP & BASE

Royal British Legion — Litherland Branch
Bryant & May 1914-1918 War Memorial
Garden of Remembrance, Orrell Road

Research not shared, is worthless.
Kathy John Moorcroft

Hi Ronny, I forgot to welcome you to the Forum, so welcome.
Thanks for your history knowledge. It's always sad when you read the names of people who have lost their lives in wars.
You mentioned the Matchworks, my mother worked there as a girl.
Cheers KATHY.
maisie & alec

Jan, You are an absolute lifline to all of us on here.
Thankyou so much for St Alexanders thread. Through this I have found the name of my Gt Grandmother on my nan's marriage details. No one in the family seemed to know anything except my Gt Grandads name. This ends a lot of frustration for me, so now I can continue with my search for my Family tree.
Thanks again
Teresa :lol:
Jan

Hi Teresa,

Thank you for your kind comments, I try to help where I can.
I am glad you found the info useful.

Jan
Vonhorn

Hi my grandad was William James Carr This is very interesting , the marriage to his first wife Yvonne Hornblow Jan wrote::lol:

I am so nosey, hahaha.

I found that some of the marriages listed had GRO REf could not be found, so I did a bit of searching, there is one there listed in 1936 between William James Carr and Mabel Egan, 6th July.

In fact it was Apr -Jun Q 1935 Liverpool S Vol 8b page 504

I also found it on the lancsbmd site.

CARR William EGAN Mabel Liverpool South, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool REG_LPS/9/91

That ref is for Liverpool Registry office, and it was a Catholic marriage.

I have notified the person who's site it is. There are loads more GRO refs missing. I will try and find more.

Jan