Quarry Bank School Bootle

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Bootlelass-expat

Where was this school? Was it an infant school? Thank you for your help.
Invicta

Used to be Allerton area I believe. Played footy there at Calderstones . Ken :D
Bootlelass-expat

Thanks for reply Invicta - the one you mentioned is a Secondary School and not in Bootle.

I am going back to the late 40's early 50's. There was a Quarry Bank Infant School in Bootle and I am wanting to find out where it was located.
Jan

Hi Bootle lass,

I think the school was in Quarry Road, it was Balliol Senior Boys and Girls, I am not too sure but I think it was called Quarry Bank (Annexe) to Balliol. I didn't go to school in Bootle, so I have no idea, I just remember someone mentioning to me some time ago that they went to Quarry Bank in Bootle.

The new Bedford Road Junior is in Quarry Road now, a new building.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
Shelagh

Hello Bootlelass, not sure if this is of any use to you, but there was an infants school in Quarry Rd Bootle, an elementary school for boys and girls, it was almost destroyed in the blitz!
The school combined with Bootle Grammar girls school in 1972 to form Hillside High!!
If this is the school you're thinking about, it was once known as Balliol school and was certainly still standing - late forties early fifties..
Could this be the one you're looking for, if not, best wishes in you're future search!
Shelagh K!
Shelagh

Think we've reached the same conclusion Jan,, certain this must be the school in question!
Doesn't seem to be any others in Bootle of that name!!
Bootlelass-expat

Thank you Jan and Shelagh.

That must be the one, very much appreciate your responses.

I remember walking up Balliol Rd (from College View) to school but couldn't remember EXACTLY where to.

Doreen
mckenna

HI I went to Balliol road as it was called it was in Quarry road this ran between Cambridge road and the brick field which is
now Southport road i was there in 1939 till 1942 i left then age 14. the teachers the was Mr Mills head master MR
Hobart art Mr TICKLE geografhy and MR CLough also that well known one Mr Cooper woodwork teacher.one
of the first bombs drop on Bootle dropped on the school hit the outside wan and railings at the boys section it never exploded people said it was filled with sawdust, George
g mckenna
mckenna

HI I went to Balliol road as it was called it was in Quarry road this ran between Cambridge road and the brick field which is
now Southport road i was there in 1939 till 1942 i left then age 14. the teachers the was Mr Mills head master MR
Hobart art Mr TICKLE geografhy and MR CLough also that well known one Mr Cooper woodwork teacher.one
of the first bombs drop on Bootle dropped on the school hit the outside wan and railings at the boys section it never exploded people said it was filled with sawdust, George
g mckenna
Shelagh

Hi mckenna, lovely to hear you're story about Balliol school, wonder if anyone else can remember those teachers...(strange how we never forget their names)
Glad to learn that the bomb on outside wall never exploded.. and idea of people saying it was filled with sawdust.. typical Scouse reaction (pity all bombs couldn't be filled with sawdust)
What a youngster you are McKenna...left school seventy four years ago and still keeping up
with the techno stuff..while some of us are still struggling.. well done!
Just to say, Balliol school must have served many generations over the years, my own children included...but by this time the old school was becoming very dilapidated - eventually closing for good in 1987!
Thanks for memories of 30s-40s mc much appreciated!
Shelagh K!
Elaine Goulding

I went to Balliol Road School during the 60's.Quarry Bank was just across a brickfield from Balliol School, opposite the park. I was taught needlework, by Mrs. MacBride, Art by Ms. Priest and another teacher Mrs. Watts who was Deputy Head at Balliol Road School also taught at Quarry Bank, but I cannot remember what subject, I think maybe English Language? Very old building, with light brown shiny lino, I used to think it always had a smell of damp. Students were never allowed to cross the brickfield to access Quarry Bank we had to walk down Balliol Road from the school. Happy Days!!
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
filsgreen

Hi Elaine, what is or was a/the brick field? Was it just wasteland?

Phil
mckenna

HI Elaine the brickfield as i have said in a previous thread was where Southport Road is now that section was from
Breeze Hill to Brewster Street were Miltons paints is and were Whirbreads bootleing plant use to be by the foot
bridge over the railway. the waste ground that is mention in your thread was used for parking wagons that
belong to Laurences coaches from Merton Road.why you walk down Balliol Road to get home you could
have walk the back of Sidney Road and come out opposite the gates of South Park.
g mckenna
Elaine Goulding

Hi McKenna/Filsgreen!
We used to call the waste land a brickfield, yet I suppose it was waste land, however I do not remember it being used for parking trucks or coaches etc. perhaps after I left many moons ago! When I say we walked down Balliol Road to get to Quarry Bank, we were not allowed to use any other route between classes. Using that brickfield at any time could result in crossing Ms. Evans the Head of Balliol Road, heaven forbid!!!! It had a reputation of weirdo's exposing themselves. I can remember the police coming to the school many times to question students using the brickfield until a ban was eventually put in place. Another building comes to mind on that brickfield much nearer the main school, this was used for school dinners.
Elaine

BossHogg

I went to Hillside, the first and second years were at Quarry Rd with the third, fourth and fifth year over the road at Breeze Hill. I was there 78-79, 79-80. ;)
mckenna

Dear Elaine Im sorry about that see i tend to forget the different in are ages , im talking about before the war when there was
no weirdos we could walk freely to school or to the south park to play you wont know me i use to play with your
father Billy many years ago we live next door but one to is mother and dad in Oivia Street happy memories
all the best George Mac.
g mckenna
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

I also attended Balliol Road and all the teachers mentioned...Mills, Tickle and Cooper were there.

My class was taught by Miss Anderson and that was from 1945 till 1948 when I moved on to Bootle Tech. I was previously at Bedford Road Infants School and was recently really honoured when they named their new boardroom (Bunty's Boardroom) after me.

I lived in Bianca Street then and used to walk across Stanley Road, through the park, over Hawthorne Road and over a disused red shale tennis court.

"Those were the days...my. Friend. We thought would never end".
mckenna

HI Bunty I must have left Balliol Road three years before you came 1939 left 1942 age 14 , tho the war was on i had
some happy days there not much education because of the raids we would told when we finished assembly
lay are arms onthe desk and have a little sleep till break time,Bedford road school was it Mr Blanchard the
headmaster Mr ELLIOT sports and music and i think a Miss Shaw. George Mck
g mckenna
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

We were taught by Miss Fleetwood at Beddie Road.

Some names from classmates at Balliol Road that I remember were George Bradshaw, Alan Corrie, Joey Joinson, and Alan Hartley.

I also missed most of my education due to the war but was able to recover from that later in life.

We lived in Miranda Road, No. 67 which was the last house in Liverpool and right on the boundary.

We knew a few people in Olivia street....O'Brian. ....Josie Jones was my sisters pal.

The streets were cobbled in those days so we could have two or three bonfires in the street on 5th Nov.
Elaine Goulding

Hi George, small world! I used to know some of the neighbours of my grandparents in Olivia Street. If I remember correctly pre-fabs were opposite 138 Olivia were Dad once lived. My Grannies sister, Liz used to live at 112. Olivia Street always reminds me of Easter as my grannie and her sister used to buy me huge Easter eggs every year. Even after they all passed away I would drive past Olivia and remember those lovely eggs!!! However, unlike Ernie cannot remember the street being cobblestones. Lovely childhood memories.
Elaine

lily8

Here are a few random households from Olivia Street 1939.

59. Evan Johanna and Margaret Jones
61. Julia Golding
63. Richard Sara and Tomas Wise
65. Ellen and Patricia Doyle
67. Elizabeth Grimes and Mary Dannunzio
69. James Annie and Margaret McCiod
73. Stanley Elizabeth James and Frederick Seel
75. Catherine Richard and Charles Dunn
77. Charles Mary and Frances Martinson.
Lily
mckenna

Hi Elaine I new your aunt Liz and your grannie the next door to my Auntie Nel lived in 134 till it was damage by the bomb
the fell opposite Lily that was my uncle and auntie James and Anne McCouid in 69. also i remember the cobbles
when they started removing the cobbles of night we to get some the tools and remove the . names that come to
mind are the Irelands Sillitoes Wains Hazlets Breens Kings Wise they live 65 John was my best man sadly all
these people have pass on i believe Maureen Breen, still alive George
g mckenna
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Hi Elaine

You young beauty.

When I described the streets as 'cobblestones' that description might be misinterpreted.

The 'cobbles' were approx. 6" square stone and quite smooth and flat. The joints were about a half inch across and sealed with tar and that was where we found the tar bubbles in hot weather.

Of course, as kids do, we would burst the bubbles with our fingers and end up with tar all over our hands and knees to be smeared with margarine by mums when we went home as they tried to get it off. I suppose our clothes were full of it as well.

There were always gutters running down each side of the street, about a foot wide and with grids every so often. We used to play 'ollies' along the gutter (fudging not allowed??) and that is another memory some may recall.

Old gas lamp posts were another source of enjoyment and used to swing on or simply as wickets for the street cricket.

The street was an area to be enjoyed and a very big part of every kids every day life and we used all that was available to conjure up communal games.

Street 'rounders' was shared by all...mums, dads, grandparents and kids.

The 'community' was part of every families life, from weddings to funerals. My mum was the one who made the wedding dresses and laid out those who had passed on. Material things were to paint the outside of the house or whitewash the yard.

We had nowt yet had everything.

Those good times make me realise what bad times we now live in.
mckenna

Hi Bunty you have brought back some memories i to remember the tar and the bubbles good job we had are old clothes on
playing hollies do you remember after they concreted the street each section had a expanding joint filled with tar
we would get a tin flatten it two sides and play tossing the tin if it land on the line we had torun to the other
line without being caught by the other team they were certainly happy days no worries the worry we had
keeping out the way of the policeman doing his round 10 o cloak every night downthe street. George
g mckenna
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Hi George. Nice to see you are up early on a nice sunny Sunday.

You should write all your memories down. Do you remember the likes of me referring to the likes of you as a 'Big Boy'.

When we are gone our descendants will wonder why they never asked us more about our time on this Earth but the sad fact is (Quote).

"When an Old Person Dies it is as a Library has Burned Down".

These days they join us for dinner but spend the time tip tapping on their confounded mobile phones. One day they will realise that they can't call US as we will gone forever.
mckenna

Bunty why i up early i am going out with my daughter in law shopping otherwise iwould have lie in,i am not very good
at writing down a story as said we didnt have much education during the war,i have two loverly granddaughters
they think i am old fashioned but they are good to me you are right about mobile phones my youngest never has the
it out of hand even we are out for a meal , she has gone to London today isaid you be care ful grandad iam 25 now
other one she a W,P,C she warning me put your chain on your door dont answer it after dark. it sad world we live in
now i dread the future George

g mckenna
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Apologies to Bootlelass-Expat for the digression from her post on Quarry Bank....quite amazing how a thread can move quickly away from its initial conception. .

As an excuse I suppose that the ramblings and reminiscing of us older members might have some interest for the younger ones remembering how things were in Bootle in the 'olden days'.

Lily's input was interesting and its always a good thing to show facts. I was only five in 1939 but was interested to see who lived in the Miranda Road/Olivia Street area.

One note to remember is that the prefabs were later built on the areas devastated by the bombs when we lived there. Phoenix may have been more appropriate name.?

At the time we were told they were built to last ten years????
ab

Bunty, one of my biggest regrets is that I never really asked my parents any questions about their past,in order to give our children some answers to the questions they might have when we're no longer here I have compiled a family history album containing all thr information and photographs that I have, it's still work in progress and I,ve gone back as far as my great, great, great, great, great grandparents, I hope my children will appreciate it.
Shelagh

Ernie, so entertaining reading about your'e childhood days and those of George!
Street games especially - Ollie's, tar, community rounders, gas lamps that doubled as cricket stumps and swings, cobble stones and gutters to play in.. all such wonderful history.. many happy memories.. thank you!
Shelagh K!
Bootlelass-expat

Ernie Jackson. Please no apologies necessary. I have enjoyed reading all the posts and wondering if I should ask more questions, or tell why I asked the question in the first place. Here goes.

A photo was posted on another Bootle site as being a photo of a 1950 Bedford Road Class (Infant age). Immediately someone got on and said "That is not Bedford Rd Infants, there are trees in background, no trees at Bedford Road, it must be Quarry Bank".

WELL I am on the photo and I am sure my mother told me I went to Bedford Road Infants and then was transferred to St. John's Road before going to live in Netherton at 6 years of age. I lived in College View, my cousin lived in Olivia St. She went to Bedford Rd and Balliol Rd Secondary Schools. I can remember walking to school but can't remember EXACTLY the route I took with my mother but remember occasionally seeing my cousin when our paths crossed going to school she was 8 years older than me and sadly no longer alive. I know she would of been able to tell me what school I went to.

Sorry Not really Bootle History but my history and it's bugging me.

Doreen
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Hi Doreen.

You could approach the school though the following address and if it is possible I am sure they will do some research for you.

http://www.bedfordprimary.co.uk

It also indicates the new address of the school.

The following article shows how lucky I was to become directly associated with my first school.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/loc ... ty-3355272
Maureeng

Hi all, i have enjoyed reading all the post's about Bedford Road School, Balliol Road Secondary and Quarry Bank as these were the schools I attended, my memory of Quarry Bank is that we had to go there to do certain lessons, we would leave the " main " school and walk down Balliol Road and go in the main entrance which was on Hawthorne Road, I think I went upstairs to do sewing, I honestly can't remember any of the other lessons we did there, we went there about twice a week, I remember the dinner hall being on the waste ground, I would walk through South Park and across the waste ground to get to school. :)
Elaine Goulding

Ernie/George!
I have really enjoyed reading about what you two got up to when you were younger. I often sat with my Mum before she passed away and she would talk about the difficulties Bootle faced during the war. Looking for her father through a pub window as he had not returned after fire duty the night before. Apparently some of the pubs were used to house the dead until they were identified. I was born 1949 and fortunately did not have to face such hardships. Talking of her brother in the army who lived in dread of returning back to the front once his leave was over. Not hearing for months on end if her other brother in the Navy was dead or alive. What absolutely horrendous times people lived through wondering if loved ones were going to return home. You hear the same story over and over again how this generation do not realise how lucky they really are, it is so very true. We never had a great deal of money, however I consider my childhood wonderful. I think family played a far more important role then than it does now. Everyone appeared to have an aunt, uncle or grannie etc. living close by. Mum lived in Wadham Road and Dad lived in Olivia Street. When they married they went to live in Bianca Street, more fond memories of a childhood feeling safe spent with lovely people. Mum and Dad met when they were kids and were married for over 50 years. Such happy memories. Yes Ernie, thanks to my lovely Mum I have a wealth of knowledge of times gone by all of which I am able to pass on to my children as a reminder how lucky they really are.

[/Maureen, whenever you answer a thread I am always able to relate. You mentioned thinking you went up stairs for needlework at Quarry Bank. You are right, the classroom was on the first floor and the teacher was Mrs. McBride. I used to be frightened to death of her!! b]
Elaine

BOBHAMO

cambridge road between the school and the dinner halls
i think was just a dirt track now blocked off
i always thought the main school was called quarry bank
which i have worked on inside and out
but if it was an annexe further down on hawthorne road
its a bit of good knowledge :lol: :lol:
bobhamo
Last edited by BOBHAMO on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
bootle born altcar road
bob. b

Great post thank you all Bunty, Elaine, Maureen, Bootle Expat , Shelagh and ab. went to that school happy days remember Quarry road. :wink: :wink:
Boys one side Girls the other side loved home time and my last year we mixed :D :D :D :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: