Sandy Lane

Find Bootle friends and family here
lindylou

Hello to all on this great site. Has anyone ever heard of a place called Sandy Lane in Bootle?. When I was a child I am sure my Mum mentioned that her family lived there but I can't seem to find it in street directory. Maybe it doesn't exist anymore. It may have been down around the Derby Road area. The family name was Rimmer and it would be pre war. Any info would be appreciated.
Linda
Lived in Captains Lane,emigrated to NZ then Oz
ron waters

LINDA There is a SANDY LANE in SEAFORTH , is that the one you are thinking of , its close to Seaforth and Litherland Railway Station .
Ron
daveowe

Hi Linda

Sandy Lane Bootle (1874) it was a cul-de-sac between Derby Road and the canal. Slightly opposite Bootle Hospital towards Church St. It was in between Everton View and Pleasant St.

daveowe
BOBHAMO

hi linda looked in the 1900 . 1939 1949 . directory but not listed as daveowe has mentioned , sometimes a road or street is omitted , as it is on the the 1907 map it faced the back of peter marsh canal street , separated by the canal bobhamo
lindylou

Thanks Guys
It must be the one near Bootle Hospital. I worked there in the late 60's but never knew Mum was from near there. Is it unusual for a street not to be mentioned in a census? How would I go about getting more information about it? My Mum died when I was 15 so I never got much info. It is only in later years that we get interested in family history etc and sometimes we leave it too late to speak to our lived ones about their past. Also my Dad has passed away so Mum's early life is a mystery to me. I know she was an orphan at a young age but not much else.
Thanks once again for the help.
Linda
betty

lindylou wrote:Hello to all on this great site. Has anyone ever heard of a place called Sandy Lane in Bootle?. When I was a child I am sure my Mum mentioned that her family lived there but I can't seem to find it in street directory. Maybe it doesn't exist anymore. It may have been down around the Derby Road area. The family name was Rimmer and it would be pre war. Any info would be appreciated.
Linda
Hi lindylou,
Just had a look at your message i had a friend who lived in Sandy Lane ,Seaforth her name was Joan Rimmer if i remember right her sister was Dorothy , any connection ? Betty.
Jan

:lol:

Hi Linda,

Sandy Lane is on the 1901 census, numbers 1 to 26, there are no Rimmer's living there.

Can you give us any first names and possible places and years of birth?

It is not listed in the 1911 Directory or 1938, it may have been unadopted and wouldn't appear in the directory in it's own rite.

Jan
lindylou

Hi Jan, I wonder if it was my Mum's grandmother who lived in Sandy Lane. Their name was Hughes. Are there any of those on the census?
I know my grandparents names (due to your previous help)but I can't find out if Mum had siblings that I don't know about. I don't have any contact with Mum's siblings (passed away as far as I know) so can't ask them. How does one follow this up?
Linda
Jan

:D

Do you have your parents marriage cert and their respective father's names and the address they married from on their marriage cert, or even your mother's birth cert to be able to go back any further on your grandparents?

Sorry for the delay in my reply, my e-mails have been playing up and I have not been able to get them so I didn't know of your reply.

Jan
lindylou

Hi Jan
I got my Mum's birth certificate. It says that the address wa 10 Sandy Lane (1921).At least I know that I had the right street. Still can't find out anything further back. Where should I look?
Linda
Jan

Hi Lindylou,

What were your mother's parents names on the birth cert (Mother's maiden name, and her father's occupation?

Jan
lindylou

Hi Jan
Her Father is named as John Joseph Rimmer Dock Labourer and mother Susannah Hughes. I have been trying to work out how old they would have been then but they had older children so could be 1880's onwards.
Linda
lindylou

Did I say that mother her mother is down as formerly Hughes?
Linda
Jan

Ok here is their marriage in 1902

RIMMER John HUGHES Susannah West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool REG_WD/203/42

or on ancestry website 1902 Oct Dec Q West Derby Vol 8b page 933

Registrar or registrar attended denotes a possible Catholic church wedding.

Jan
Last edited by Jan on Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They married in St Alexanders Church, if you see my post in Bootle History thread St Alexanders marriages, the marriage is listed on there.

1902 JOHN RIMMER 02 OCT 1902 SUSANNAH HUGHES

You would have to order the marriage cert to find out the parents names and the address, but I have a family that might just fit the Rimmers in 1901 living in Syren Street Kirkdale, that was very close to St Alexanders Church.

Jan
Jan

Here is the 1901 census RG13 3471 folio 149 page 15

5 Syren Street Kirkdale

Thomas Rimmer Head Married age 43 Dock Labourer
Sarah Rimmer Wife age 44
JOHN J Rimmer son age 20 Dock Labourer
Sarah E Rimmer dau age 18 factory hand
Bridget A Rimmer dau age 12
Thomas Rimmer son age 8
Catherine H Rimmer D age 2

All born Liverpool. except for Thomas's wife Sarah, born Isle of Man.

There were 3 visitors living with them by the name of Keenan

Jan
Last edited by Jan on Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bingo!!!

I went back to the site that I have for St Alexanders marriages and found this entry, so they were the right Rimmer family on the 1901 census.

Here is the entry for the marriage, I now have Susannah's father's name and the address, I will look for it in 1901.

02 OCT 1902

JOHN RIMMER 22y Bachelor occ.LABORER add.5 SYREN ST

s.of THOMAS RIMMER occ.LABORER

& SUSANNAH HUGHES 21y Spinster add.19 JOHNSTONE ST

d.of JOHN HUGHES occ.LABORER

Witnesses: Michael Wade & Mary Keenan

Mary Keenan was one of the visitors living with the Rimmers in 1901.

Jan
sheelagh youssef

Jan, your a genius finding all this information for people, my mind boggles at some of the stuff you find. I for one think your great and I bet Linda is going to be made up when she reads what you,ve found for her.
Thanks Jan.............Sheelagh
Jan

:lol: :lol:

Thanks Sheelagh.

Now back to 1901 and the Hughes family at 19 Johnstone Street hehehe.

John Hughes Married age 59 Dock Labourer born Ireland
Rose Hughes wife age 57 born Ireland
Richard Hughes Son age 21 born Liverpool
Mary E Hughes dau age 16 born Liverpool

Susannah is not at home, I think I have found her visiting people in Derby Road, I will go and find her.

Jan
Jan

I think Susannah was at 258 Derby Road in 1901, there is another Susannah Hughes in the area, with a father John, but the one in Johnstone street is the right one.

I shouldn't really do this, this is the lazy way!!

Name: Susannah Hughes
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Relation: Visitor
Where born: Bootle, Lancashire, England

Civil Parish: Bootle Cum Linacre
Ecclesiastical parish: St John
County/Island: Lancashire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: West Derby
Sub registration district: Bootle
ED, institution, or vessel: 12
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 17
Household Members: Name Age
John Campbell 9
Richard Campbell 2
Rose Campbell 2 months
Theresa Campbell 27
Susannah Hughes 19

Jan
lindylou

Jan you are the most wonderful woman. The names are significant because they have been passed down the family. My sister Rose was obviously named after a family member and so my new little grandaughter Caitlin Rose is carrying on a family tradition.
Yes Sheila I was made up to get this info-don't know how Jan does it. It is like having our own Shirlock Holmes on the case.
Linda
Jan

I am only too glad to help Linda,

I found all these births listed, I don't know if they are all yours, but may be earlier ones after 1902, but mother's maiden names were not added to the indexes until 1911.

Elizabeth Rimmer 1918 Apr-May-Jun Hughes West Derby Lancashire
View Record

Hazel M Rimmer 1917 Apr-May-Jun Hughes West Derby Lancashire
View Record

John Rimmer 1917 Jan-Feb-Mar Hughes West Derby Lancashire
View Record

John J Rimmer 1915 Oct-Nov-Dec Hughes West Derby Lancashire
View Record

Rita D Rimmer 1914 Jan-Feb-Mar Hughes West Derby Lancashire
View Record

Susan M Rimmer 1913 Apr-May-Jun Hughes West Derby Lancashire
View Record

Theresa Rimmer 1921 Apr-May-Jun Hughes West Derby Lancashire
View Record

Thomas A Rimmer 1914 Jul-Aug-Sep Hughes West Derby Lancashire
View Record

William Rimmer 1912 Oct-Nov-Dec Hughes West Derby Lancashire

Jan
lindylou

Thanks Jan
Mum is on that list (Theresa 1921). I know she had an older brother called John but don't know the year. Also I think Elizabeth born 1918 was my Auntoir Lizzie.The others I know of may have been before 1911. Sarah and Ada. There was also a Patrick but he is not on the list although I think he was born around the same time as Mum. Maybe mother's name wasn't noted.
I was very interested in the one named Susan born 1913. My first name is actually Susan although I don't use it. I wonder if Mum named me after a sister who died before she was born? I have emailed my sister in Crosby with all this info. I bet she gets really interested in it all. I have asked her to try to have a look at the birth certificate to see if this is my Susan. I hope so.
Linda
Bill Tomo

to lindy from bill thompson, i have been researching my family, and my grand parents lived next door or opposite in number 9 the thompson,s, my dad grew up there in sandy lane off derby road in bootle,he saved a boy from drowning in the canal at coffeehouse bridge around 1927..regards bill...
smoked out

Summer view from "everton view" footbridge that crosses the canal , looking towards docks , the houses to the right side of picture are one side of pleasant street , the rear of houses looked out over prefabs in what i am sure was SANDY LANE.
Another point the railway passed beneath the canal in centre.

Jan

:D

Sandy Lane was between Pleasant Street and Everton View (Off Derby Road)

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
smoked out

yeh , the trees in pic are on the site of the prefabs in sandy lane.
Bill Tomo

to lindlou, from bill thompson,my dad said the canal at the bottom of sandy lane was allways refered to as sandy bottom,by the locals, and that he used to swim there and pinch coal off the barges as they went past,he used to say the cut was very clear then, my dad was allways swimming there, much against the wishes of his mam, i suppose most of the kids learnt to swim in the cut,i know i did, we used to ride our bikes out to the tailors arms in ford and we would pedal just down the bank to a little clearing on the bank,we would light a little fire and make some tea in a billycan, and we used to use the water out of the cut, thats how clean the cut was in them days,it did not cost a fortune to have a great summer,oh! happy days...

great memories,regards,,,bill thompson..
BOBHAMO

hi bill hers some photos
pleasant street
land part of sandy lane
rallway under canal
everton view
from canal bridge bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Bill Tomo

bob great photos, i like the one with the narrow boat, and the railway going under the cut, i used to work for british waterways, and its nice to see photos of it...regards bill tomo..
Bill Tomo

post script to previous post,bob you see that cycle path allong the towpath,well i can tell i was responsible partly for bwb installing it allong the canal,we were asked by bwb for ideas to make the canal more accessable to the public, and that cycle path was my idea,we wanted to make the canal so every body could use it,bird watchers, inviromentalists,fishermen,you can virtually go anywhere in england allong that tow path,apart from the locks the towpath is flat,so with a small tent and a bike you can travel through some of the nicest scenery in the country, my god" what a summers holiday that would be,after all the canal is not just for pleasure boats ... bill tomo.
amyhughes83

Hi all i hope you all take a look and help me find a long lost friend of my dad's, my dad is charlie hughes of portsmouth england and he worked in germany some years back as a carpenter with a man named john sumner.

ive searched high and low for this man and i know he or some of his family used to/may still live at hereford drive L30 1QY

Any thing you can do to help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards to you all

Amy

sorry for crashing in on your topic but i need all the help i can get my email is amyhughes83@hotmail.co.uk
Last edited by amyhughes83 on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
PETER CRAIG

amyhughes83 wrote:Hi all i hope you all take a look and help me find a long lost friend of my dad's, my dad is charlie hughes of portsmouth england and he worked in germany some years back as a carpenter with a man named john sumner.

ive searched high and low for this man and i know he or some of his family used to/may still live at hereford drive L30 1Q4

Any thing you can do to help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards to you all

Amy

sorry for crashing in on your topic but i need all the help i can get my email is amyhughes83@hotmail.co.uk
Welcome to the Bootle forum Amy,
I hope someone can help you,
Peter.
Anniemoo2121

I was born in sandy lane nearly 72 years ago there were a family called Hughes mans name was Eddie cant think of wifes name they had a son called Michael. Wifes name just come to me its doreen.
Nova

Hi my family were from Sandy Lane Too Number 16, My Aunt Mary Married a Samuel Walker, who sadly Passed away During WW2 During Operation Demon, Just off the coast of Greece. She Then Moved To Oz and NZ wonder if were related in any way?