Streets or Avenues

Find Bootle friends and family here
Jan

:D

1914 Directory 48 Thornton Road Bootle - Nathan Rankin, Mariner

1938 Directory 48 Thornton Road Mrs Edith Rankin

I think the directories were put together a year before they were published.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
welshlady

Jan wrote::D

Jan
Aww Thank you.... Nathan Rankin was Mary Moodys son in law married to my great great aunt Edith Rankin...[ Mary Moody was my great great g/mother and she was head of the household in 1911] with her daughter Edith & husband Nathan living there... thank you so much Jan...

ps Nathan passed away in 1918...
Jan

Hi Welshlady,

I see that Nathan worked for the Allan Line, I came across this site http://www.gjenvick.com/PassengerLists/ ... z3i4Zfmvlw

Jan
welshlady

Thank you so so much Jan..one of my next things to do is find out why he died so young and in West Derby ...that link you sent me is so interesting...They also had two children who were born & died before 1911 have no names for them as far as I know..thinking they might have been still birth or if they died when they where days..weeks old they would have a name...

Welshlady :D
Jan

Hi Welshlady,

West Derby was the registration district and not the actual place, it covered Bootle.

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/dist ... derby.html

Jan
welshlady

welshlady wrote:

Jan
Aww Thank you.... Nathan Rankin was Mary Moodys son in law married to my great great aunt Edith Rankin...[ Mary Moody was my great great g/mother and she was head of the household in 1911] with her daughter Edith & husband Nathan living there... thank you so much Jan...

ps Nathan passed away in 1918...

Hi Jan or anyone else...
Could I ask you to look in your street books when you have a moment... to see who lived in 32 Orecon Street Bootle ... anytime after 1901 to the 1930's many thanks....
Hoping to get the death certs this coming week [ well thats what they told me on the phone] have ordered them since the 27th July!!

Best Wishes & thank you
Welshlady...
Jan

Hi Welshlady,

1911 has John Bell at 32 Oregon Street Bootle

1914 has William Confrey at #32

1938 has Mrs Emma Confrey at #32

But the 1911 census has William Confrey and wife Emma and family also his mother in law Emma Dunne, at 32 Oregon Street.

Hope that helps

Jan
Last edited by Jan on Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
welshlady

Jan wrote:Hi Welshlady,

1911 has John Bell at 32 Oregon Street Bootle

1914 has William Confrey at #32

1938 has Mrs Emma Confrey at #32

But the 1911 census has William Confrey and wife Emma and family at 32 Oregon Street.

Hope that helps

Jan

Thanks for that Jan.
Am confused now the gentleman called Bobhamo sent me a photo on page 2 of this site..and had "John Smith Mariner" listed in 1911 there.... what about 3 Aldarns Grove then Jan... Thank you..
Jan

Hi Weloshlady,

Aldams Grove is not listed in the directory, it was only a tiny street off Westminster Road Kirkdale, it is still there a cul-de-sac.

1911 census has William Henry Rowley and family at 3 Aldams Grove, listed as having 5 rooms.

Jan
welshlady

Jan wrote:Hi Weloshlady,

Aldams Grove is not listed in the directory, it was only a tiny street off Westminster Road Kirkdale, it is still there a cul-de-sac.

1911 census has William Henry Rowley and family at 3 Aldams Grove, listed as having 5 rooms.

Jan
OK Thanks for that.. I have my great great grandmother mother Mary & George Moody living there in the 1881census..with there 3 children.. was just wondering if there where there longer ..thanks Jan.
welshlady

My plot thickens ...because on my grandmother's (Edith Foxley) death certificate it says she was the widow of William Foxley ( I thought they might have been divorced )... & that her address was c/o 7 Rydal street ???My Mum was the informant... But can't quite make out where she died..I think it says 107 Rice Lane ??? but not sure on that ...confused.com!!

Welshlady.
lily8

Hi 107 Rice Lane was Walton Hospital earlier Walton Workhouse, due to the workhouse earlier connection the 107 street address was used as far as the 1950's or later.
Lily
welshlady

lily8 wrote:Hi 107 Rice Lane was Walton Hospital earlier Walton Workhouse, due to the workhouse earlier connection the 107 street address was used as far as the 1950's or later.
Thank you so much Lily...

Welshlady..
welshlady

Hi everyone
Could anyone with any of the Kellys Gore Dictionaries let me know who lived at 7 Rydal street from the 1930's or 1940's [its to see if any family members lived then] many many thanks...

PS Lily8!! I took your advice and ordered more certs but this time from Southport & received them after 4 days!!!

Welshlady...
Jan

Hi Welshlady,

1938 Kelly's Directory #7 Rydal Street Litherland Thos Finnigan - Labourer

Jan
welshlady

1938 Kelly's Directory #7 Rydal Street Litherland Thos Finnigan - Labourer

Jan

Thank you Jan....
welshlady

Hi.....My mother use to tell me that she worked for Littlewoods pools 1935-1939ish...and would ride a bike to work.... Has anyone any idea where that would have been...she lived in Thounton Road Bootle??

Many thanks
Welshlady..
henry

Littlewoods would be down strand road by the fire station and 5mins on a bike
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
welshlady

henry wrote:Littlewoods would be down strand road by the fire station and 5mins on a bike

Thank you very much Henry...
BOBHAMO

here is a photo welsh lady next to st marys church yard
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
welshlady

Thank you do much BOBHAMO..so many helpful people on this site..its wonderful!!.
welshlady

Hello..
Can anyone explain to me in simple terms how to upload a photo..to this page I am having a really hard job to understand some of the addresses on some of these census papers ...so thought if I uploaded a photo off my phone ...someone would maybe have more luck with some of the st names..

Many thanks.. :?
Jan

Hi Welshlady,

Mack has put these instructions on the site for uploading photo's, but if all else fails.

http://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/vi ... =4&t=28828

Can you give us the census details of the people you are looking for and we could have a look at the street names for you. Eg Census year, piece and folio numbers.

Jan
welshlady

Mack has put these instructions on the site for uploading photo's, but if all else fails.

http://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/vi ... =4&t=28828

Can you give us the census details of the people you are looking for and we could have a look at the street names for you. Eg Census year, piece and folio numbers.

Jan

Many thanks Jan
Will try that link this weekend....I don't have the folio numbers .. silly me been a novice at this didn't get them.. I just downloaded the original copies....

the first one I now think it is 79 Bostock street my great great great g/mother & father lived there in 1861... [ Daniel & Mary Ann Whittle]
the next is I think!! 13 Tudno street & my great great g/parents lived there in1871...[George & Mary Moody] the above been Mary's mother & father...

Thank you for your help
Welshlady
Jan

Hi Welshlady,

Yes 1861 Daniel and Mary were at Bostock Street, the number 79 isn't the house number it is the schedule number, no house number given. For future ref if you need it, the numbers are RG9, piece 2724 folio 36 page 18.

1871 for George and Mary Moody was 13 Tudno Street. RG10,piece 3834 folio105 page 11.

Tudno Street was between Church Street and Campbell Street (Bootle) and was named after St Tudno, a Welsh Saint.

Hope that helps

Jan
welshlady

Are the streets still there Jan?..thanks
Jan

Hi Welshlady,

Bostock Street was re-named Kirk Street. I am not sure if it is still there, I don't think Tudno Street is there.

This 1901 map shows Bostock Street the second street away from St Mary's church, the church is no longer there.

http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co. ... z/ac79.htm

Jan
welshlady

Thank you so much for your help Jan & for finding out all things for me...

Welshlady..
Jan

Glad to help,

If you look on the same map just across the other side of Derby Road, opp St Mary's, you will see Campbell Street and the bottom half of Church Street, Tudno Street must have been one of the little streets off that, they are not named on the map.

Jan
welshlady

Glad to help,

If you look on the same map just across the other side of Derby Road, opp St Mary's, you will see Campbell Street and the bottom half of Church Street, Tudno Street must have been one of the little streets off that, they are not named on the map.

Jan

Thank you Jan...
welshlady

Hi..
When I search for a family what is the best way - when asked for spouse's name do I search with a married woman's surname or her maiden surname.? Also which site is the best to sign up with for searching family details.

Thanking you
Welshlady..
welshlady

Hi again
Having awful trouble tracing my great/geandparents John Henry Smith & Annie Smith have got then as far as my grandmother's baptism Mary Edith in December 1993 & address as Oregon St...on there marriage certificate in 1892 he lived at Doncaster St & Annie was living at Hector St with her Mum & Dad George & Mary Moody - Then in the 1901 Edith was 7 & living with her G/mother Mary Moody no mention of her Mum & dad & then in1911she is still with Mary Moody at 17... .in 1917 on Mary Edith's marriage certificate it says her father John Henry Smith is a Timber Traveler (so he is still alive) don't know what a Timber Traveler would be ( or would it be in another country where timber was a big thing). .hope someone could enlighten me..

Best Wishes
Welshlady..
welshlady

welshlady wrote:Hi again
Having awful trouble tracing my great/geandparents John Henry Smith & Annie Smith have got then as far as my grandmother's baptism Mary Edith in December 1993 & address as Oregon St...on there marriage certificate in 1892 he lived at Doncaster St & Annie was living at Hector St with her Mum & Dad George & Mary Moody - Then in the 1901 Edith was 7 & living with her G/mother Mary Moody no mention of her Mum & dad & then in1911she is still with Mary Moody at 17... .in 1917 on Mary Edith's marriage certificate it says her father John Henry Smith is a Timber Traveler (so he is still alive) don't know what a Timber Traveler would be ( or would it be in another country where timber was a big thing). .hope someone could enlighten me..

Best Wishes
Welshlady..

Meant December 1893**
welshlady

Jan wrote:Hi Welsh Lady,

I found this bit of info, which might help have a look at 3rd (reserve) Battalion.

http://www.1914-1918.net/swb.htm

The camp may well have been what is known as Sniggery Woods in Crosby (not too far from Bootle).

http://localhistory.wix.com/crosbypasta ... nt/page-90

Jan

Hello Jan
I received my G/mother & G/father's William & Edith foxley's marriage certificate & you where right his address is listed Sniggery Woods camp Cosby.. Thank you..

Welshlady.
Jan

Hi Welshlady,

That is great news about the marriage cert, that has sorted that question out :D

Can you give us the details from the marriage cert of John Henry Smith and Annie? Ages, father's names and John's address, also his father's name and occupation, to try and trace back to the 1891 census. I am not sure what a Timber traveller was, but there were a lot of timber yards in the area, perhaps John travelled the country selling timber, I will try and find out what exactly that involved.

Jan