Streets or Avenues

Find Bootle friends and family here
lily8

welshlady wrote:Hello again Lily....Yes that's my Mum...I also had a look for the Allan shipping line as well...thank you for your help with everything.. I have most of the info about her family.. Just loose ends needed ....I can't find when & where my g/father William Foxley died ..he was born in 1893..married Edith Smith ( my g/mother) in 1917 in West Derby...??? I can remember Edith S.mith coming to see us when we were young she passed away in 1953 in Walton Park...but never him so don't know what happened to him...& I can't find his death.... Nathan Rankin was born in Scotland am going to have a look for his family... to see if he has a middle name !?!?..Thank you once again for your time & help.. Have a good day & take care.
Hi again these maybe a long shot would cost about 10 pounds to get copies to prove one way or another::

Deaths Jun 1955 (>99%)

FOXLEY William P 62 Manchester 10e 156

Deaths 1967
First name(s)
WILLIAM

Last name
FOXLEY

Birth day
-

Birth month
-

Birth year

Death quarter

Death year

District
CREWE

County
Cheshire

Volume
10A

Page

Country
England
Lily
welshlady

Hello Elaine...Yes I am so very greatful & finding this site...I phoned the Lancashire records office and it was the lovely lady I spoke to on the phone that guided me to this site...she said it was a brilliant site & she also lived in Bootle... But Liverpool people are the best for helping each other out..so that's why you have just a good community going on here!! I intend to keep loging on.....Thanks so much all of you. :)
welshlady

lily8 wrote:
welshlady wrote:Hello again Lily....Yes that's my Mum...I also had a look for the Allan shipping line as well...thank you for your help with everything.. I have most of the info about her family.. Just loose ends needed ....I can't find when & where my g/father William Foxley died ..he was born in 1893..married Edith Smith ( my g/mother) in 1917 in West Derby...??? I can remember Edith S.mith coming to see us when we were young she passed away in 1953 in Walton Park...but never him so don't know what happened to him...& I can't find his death.... Nathan Rankin was born in Scotland am going to have a look for his family... to see if he has a middle name !?!?..Thank you once again for your time & help.. Have a good day & take care.
Hi again these maybe a long shot would cost about 10 pounds to get copies to prove one way or another::

Deaths Jun 1955 (>99%)

FOXLEY William P 62 Manchester 10e 156

Deaths 1967
First name(s)
WILLIAM

Last name
FOXLEY

Birth day
-

Birth month
-

Birth year

Death quarter

Death year

District
CREWE

County
Cheshire

Volume
10A

Page

Country
England

Hi Lily....I have the last one thanks so much....if it is him then my gran & himself must have divorced or separated ..because the only time my Mum mentioned him was to say be was a railway carriage builder.... on my mothers marriage licence it says that he was deceased... it also says my Mum was 22 years old ..but in fact she was only 19..because she was born in June 1918...she also got married in Birkenhead.. where her first husband's address was...her address was 48 Thornton road Bootle... Then after they married they lived in Birkenhead for a while...the plot thickens!! I am sending for a couple of death Certificates....it also means that William was still alive all those years and for 5 years after my Mum died in 1962.…if it is him.. & thank you once again Lily..
lily8

A pleasure, my money for what it is worth would be on the Crewe one as I think he was born there?? if they had separated then he may have gone back to his home town/area perhaps. Often when people parted it was not under the best of terms but we can only conjecture, let us know what the certs say maybe we can follow up.
Lily
welshlady

Oh yes definitely I would say Lily...I have his mother & father and they are Crewe.. & the rest of the family will let you know when I get them from the records office ...don't know what my mother was up to saying he was deceased or lieing about her age..didn't they have to produce there birth certificate in the 1930's when they got married.??...Thank you so much for your help...and if you ever head up this way give me a shout..so I could thank you in person....all this family tree searching is infectious ..and so good when we find out something I just love it...

Have a good day Lily and take care.
welshlady

welshlady wrote:Oh yes definitely I would say Lily...I have his mother & father and they are Crewe.. & the rest of the family will let you know when I get them from the records office ...don't know what my mother was up to saying he was deceased or lieing about her age..didn't they have to produce there birth certificate in the 1930's when they got married.??...Thank you so much for your help...and if you ever head up this way give me a shout..so I could thank you in person....all this family tree searching is infectious ..and so good when we find out something I just love it...

Have a good day Lily and take care.

Hello again Lily.....I wondered why I couldn't find William Foxley (1983/4) in the 1911 census...well I have found him his father (same name as him) passed away in 1898...& his mother remarried to a James Yates still living in Cerwe...I have also found out how my g/mother (Edith smith) got to know him...(well I think I do) he joined the The South Wales Borderers whan where stationed in a camp near Bootle ( I think you might be able to tell me if they were there!!). Why he chose the SWB I don't know....he was an apprentice loco fitter in 1911.…. Wow found quite a bit this morning.... Carrying on now got the buzz!! Take care.
BOBHAMO

Hi Welshlady the south wales borderes where stationed on bootle golf course 1940
this is a photo of them training
in bootle
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
welshlady

Thanks Bob..do you know if they where there in the 1st world war as well?? I read somewhere that there were a few regiments stationed around Bootle... Will try and find where I read it again...thanks for the photo take care.
PETER CRAIG

welshlady wrote:Hello
Wonder if anyone could help me..my mother and family all came from Liverpool and the last known address I had for an Auntie, was a Rydal or Ridyl Avenue or street...I was told they where railway houses built for the workers.. also are they still standing please?
My mum passed away when I was 15 so dont have to much info.. Many thanks.
Welcome to the Bootle forum welshlady,
Peter.
42aitch

Hi Welsh Lady

There was a Welsh Camp in Litherland see link http://www.litherland-digital.co.uk/alb ... y_camp.htm

I have read that there were a few different regiments there.

Also Thanks to Bobhamo for the 1962 Bowden Street, I can remember so many of those people. We were at No 37 and I moved to No 33 after I married and was there till 1971.

Eileen
Last edited by 42aitch on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Litherland girl with Bootle parents.
Jan

Hi Welsh Lady,

I found this bit of info, which might help have a look at 3rd (reserve) Battalion.

http://www.1914-1918.net/swb.htm

The camp may well have been what is known as Sniggery Woods in Crosby (not too far from Bootle).

http://localhistory.wix.com/crosbypasta ... nt/page-90

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
lily8

Well done guys :D I had a look for a MIC and found one that may be him showing only the initial W and surname originally joined the SWB and then served with the Hampshires (this most likely was the Hampshires were under strength). I can only suggest that perhaps your Gran told your mum he had died perhaps, and as far as I have come across fudging your age on marriage certs was quite common, my own grandparents both fudged their ages by 10 years or so :shock: 1up by 10 and I down by 10. The cost of divorce in those days was generally out of the means of a lot of folk, most just went their separate ways and often had a de facto relationship and perhaps children with new partners, no problems unless they tried to legitimise these de facto relationships. I have had a look at what railway records are online and there are a few with his name but very little other info. Hopefully you will get a bit more to go on from the death cert fingers crossed.
Lily
welshlady

42aitch wrote:Hi Welsh Lady

There was a Welsh Camp in Litherland see link http://www.litherland-digital.co.uk/alb ... y_camp.htm

I have read that there were a few different regiments there.

Also Thanks to Bobhamo for the 1962 Bowden Street, I can remember so many of those people. We were at No 37 and I moved to No 33 after I married and was there till 1971.

Eileen

Thanks Eileen that's the site I had seen it on..that would be how they met I think... It's so good been able to know how there life paned out..many thanks would not have got to know so much had it not been for this wonderful site..
Have a good day & take care.
chris sealeaf

Hi bobhamo
Just read through the names of the residents of Bowden St and Albt Higgins was my mum's cousin.
Regards
Chris
chrissealeaf
welshlady

Jan wrote:Hi Welsh Lady,

I found this bit of info, which might help have a look at 3rd (reserve) Battalion.

http://www.1914-1918.net/swb.htm

The camp may well have been what is known as Sniggery Woods in Crosby (not too far from Bootle).

http://localhistory.wix.com/crosbypasta ... nt/page-90

Jan

Thank you so much Jan...getting to look like they may have met

because of William been there...I enjoyed reading those sites.

Best Wishes

Welshlady.
welshlady

lily8 wrote:Well done guys :D I had a look for a MIC and found one that may be him showing only the initial W and surname originally joined the SWB and then served with the Hampshires (this most likely was the Hampshires were under strength). I can only suggest that perhaps your Gran told your mum he had died perhaps, and as far as I have come across fudging your age on marriage certs was quite common, my own grandparents both fudged their ages by 10 years or so :shock: 1up by 10 and I down by 10. The cost of divorce in those days was generally out of the means of a lot of folk, most just went their separate ways and often had a de facto relationship and perhaps children with new partners, no problems unless they tried to legitimise these de facto relationships. I have had a look at what railway records are online and there are a few with his name but very little other info. Hopefully you will get a bit more to go on from the death cert fingers crossed.

Many thanks again Lily....Didn't they have to show birth certs..when they got married? ? wouldnt be able to change them [unless they were different in those days] plus you had to be over 21 to get married without your parents consent then.....and yes true be able to see more when death certs come..could take up to 3 weeks she said!!

Take care

Welshlady.
lily8

Hi again WL the following may explain

Age of marriage

The age is useful in working back further, but be warned, it is only accurate if both parties were telling the truth.

Unless you looked as if you were under the age of consent, you were simply never asked to prove your age and at times the details on the certificate were tweaked. If the blushing bride was older than her husband-to-be, she would quite often lie about her age, or he would add on a few years to save her dignity.

Times were certainly different: the ages a person could marry set at 14 for a boy and only 12 for a girl back in 1837. However, both parents needed to consent to their child marrying so young, until they were 21 when they no longer needed consent.

In 1926 the age you could marry was raised to 16 for both sexes, with consent from parents still needed if under 21. The age you can marry still stands at 16 today, although the age of consent has dropped to 18.

The other point about ages that needs to be considered is that in times of illiteracy and poor information some people simply didn't know how old they actually were. In cases like this they often guessed.

Before 1870, where the age was in doubt, the register merely states "of full age". This formula is also used
Lily
welshlady

Thanks for that Lily...
lynne99

Hi, Bobhamo. What a wonderful photo or the army motor bikes. Any idea which road it was in, It is very straight, may be Stuart Rd??
welshlady

Hi Bobhamo....Do you know if Oregon street is still standing in Bootle... I have found an Oregon Close... My greatmother was born there....Many Thanks..
Welshlady.
henry

OREGON STREET LIKE ALL THE OTHER HOUSES DOWN STRAND ROAD WERE ALL DEMOLISHED IN THE 60S TO MAKE WAY FOR THE NEW STRAND SHOPPING CENTRE TO BE BUILT
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
BOBHAMO

oregon street
what years ,name for your for your grandmother ,welsh lady :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
henry

Sorry Bob but that is Florida Street
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
welshlady

Wow thank you...she was born in Oregon street in 1893...her Mum & Dad were John Henry & Annie Smith..don't know which Number...

Many thanks
Welshlady.
BOBHAMO

1911 Oregon street
Thanks Henry, sorry welsh lady wrong street
but this was what they looked like strand road which was top of Oregon street
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
welshlady

Thank you so much Bobhamo... Is there a date on the list of names for Oregon St.
Best wishes
Welshlady.
welshlady

Hi...Hope you are all well.. am still waiting for death certificates.. to arrive from Liverpool..

Take care
Welshlady.
welshlady

Gosh still waiting on Family History death certs phoned them up today....Been looking up more places and does a Hendor Street in Kirkdale ring true ..had a hard time reading it ... Family members lived there in 1891 .... Great great G /mother ... Mary Moody ...Also in 1881 they lived in 3 Aldams Grove....

Many Thanks

Welshlady..
Last edited by welshlady on Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan

Hi Welshlady,

Where did you order the certificates from? was it Liverpool St Georges Hall? They take ages. You could have ordered them from the GRO in Southport, they are much quicker, I ordered a birth cert a few weeks ago from Southport and it was with me within a week.

Can't say I have heard of Hendor Street Kirkdale , there was Hector Street Kirkdale off Celia Street.

Jan
Jan

:D

Just checked the 1891 census and the address for Mary Moody was 26 Hector Street Kirkdale.

Jan
Jan

Have a look at this 1901 map.

http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co. ... z/df79.htm

Celia Street is still there, but there are new houses where Hector Street would have been.

Jan
welshlady

Jan wrote::D

Just checked the 1891 census and the address for Mary Moody was 26 Hector Street Kirkdale.

Jan

Thanks Jan.... yes it was with Geoges Hall i ordered them on line.... didnt know about the Southport one thanks....& many thanks about the name of the st...I also have an address for them in 1881 as 3 Aldams Grove,,,,George Moody was alive then...

Welshlady..
welshlady

Thanks for the link Jan.... do you know where I could get copies of these Kelly's Gore Dictionarys...on line?

Thanks
Welshlady.
Jan

Hi Welshlady,

You can get some directories on CD, I have some of the early ones for Liverpool, also I have 1911,1914 and 1938, if you want a look up give us a shout. I bought mine from this site now in Ireland http://www.archivecdbooks.ie/acatalog/l ... ories.html

Some other members have other directories but in original book form (very hard to come across), but most of the directories are on microfilm at Liverpool records office.

Jan
welshlady

Jan wrote:Hi Welshlady,

You can get some directories on CD, I have some of the early ones for Liverpool, also I have 1911,1914 and 1938, if you want a look up give us a shout. I bought mine from this site now in Ireland http://www.archivecdbooks.ie/acatalog/l ... ories.html

Some other members have other directories but in original book form (very hard to come across), but most of the directories are on microfilm at Liverpool records office.

Jan
Thank you so much....in the 1914 one was Mary Moody still at 48 Thounton Road Bootle... & in 1938 who was there then... thank you very much.

Best Wishes
Welshlady