Boy Drowns in Bootle canal

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
barb

does anybody remember the 10 year old boy named victor langley of 55 garden lane who drowned in the bootle canal in 1964.
i am his youngest sister, wondering if anybody remembers

regards
Babs
Jan

:( :(

Hi Babs,

Welcome to the site.

I can't help you there, but how very very sad.

I am sure other members may have some memories of this.

Jan :cry:
red ron

Hi Babs, welcome to the site. I echo Jans sentiments entirely. I lost a little mate in the same circumstances. My young nephew went the same way. My sympathy is with you. I hope you receive answers to your question. R R
Kathy John Moorcroft

Hiya Babs, That`s a sad story, So sorry I cant help in your quest, but like Jan, and Red Ron, both said ,I`m sure you will get some `info`as there are some lovely helpfull people on here, If they know, you`ll get to know. Good luck Babs, from John
frank delamere

barb wrote:does anybody remember the 10 year old boy named victor langley of 55 garden lane who drowned in the bootle canal in 1964.

regards
Babs
hello babs, the only one which i knew off, was our mate SYDNEY HARRISON
he lived at 201 litherland road. i can still see him floating in the water.it absolutely broke his parents hearts.
frank
Bootlelass-expat

Hello Barb, I was sad to read your post about your brother. It did bring back memories of a boy named David who drowned in the canal near Copy Lane/Dunnings Bridge Road, this happened in the 50's. If I remember correctly he had two sisters but he was the only boy.

We had to cross a swing bridge to go to school and some kids would open it - leave it open - and we would have to wait for someone coming the other way to close it so we could get across it, or sometimes someone would run up the canal bank onto Dunnings Bridge Rd and down the other side of the bank to close it.

I thought it was because of the danger of the canals that the town made all the schools take the children to the baths for swimming lessons.

I hope you have happy memories of your brother besides the memory of his drowning.
Sheila Graham
Location: Adelaide, South Australia. Formally Fernhill Road, Bootle

barb wrote:does anybody remember the 10 year old boy named victor langley of 55 garden lane who drowned in the bootle canal in 1964.

regards
Babs
====
Welcome to this site Babs....I am so sorry to hear of your bother. I don't recall this sadness. I am sure he was lovely and you have smashing memories of him.....sheila.graham
annie

hi babs sorry i dont recall your brothers passing but i had a nephew who was only 4 and he was electricuted on the railway at netherton so understand the terible loss as he was an only boy
marielou

Hi Babs,
I'm also sorry to hear about your brother.

Annie where in Netherton did you loose your Nephew? I remember a young boy loosing his life on the Aintree Station railway lines.

Regards,

Marielou .
Joan Riding

Hi Babs,

I do remember the tragedy of your poor brother, I lived on Litherland Road at that time and we were all terribly shocked, the canal was such a draw for young boys, my sympthy to you and your family.

Joan
vera

Hi Barb Welcome to the site.=== sorry about your Brother very sad,
Cheers Vera.
annie

hi marilou my nephew lived in hereford drive when the maisonettes were there i think it was aintree but not sure
marielou

Hi Annie,

Thats the boy I'm thinking of,I only vaguely remember it,can't remember his name.

Regards,

Marielou.
annie

his name was stanley ..marilou
marielou

Annie is that his christian name or surname?

Marielou.
annie

that was his christian name marilou..his surname was briscoe
marielou

Annie was his dad Alan?

Marielou.
annie

no his dads name was stan the same as him .
barb

hi,

just want to say thanks for your reply's sadly i dont remember vic, i was only two at the time.
wondering if anybody recalls a john murtagh aged 57 at the time of vic's death. he was a passer by who jumped into the canal to try and save him, a news paper clipping states that john had to be rescued himself and taken to hospital.

thanks for all your kind thoughts

Babs
Sheila Graham

annie wrote:that was his christian name marilou..his surname was briscoe
====
Getting off sad subject but recalling working with a Briscoe from Netherton. I can't recall her first name, she was a nurse in Bootle or maybe Stanley Hospital...Do you have anyone in your family in nursing? sheila.graham
annie

no sheila not one ours sorry
Sheila Graham

annie wrote:no sheila not one ours sorry
====
S"OK....I just thought I would give it a try.....sheila.g
Scully

Hi Everyone,

Reading this post made me think of just how many youngsters died in our canals. My dad John Scully received an award from the Humane Society in the 50's for jumping into the canal to try to save a young boy who was drowning, sadly, it was in vain but dad was very brave as he couldn't swim himself. Deepest sympathy to all who lost a loved one in this way.

Tracey.
ste mumf

hi babs i was afriend of victors at the time of his death i lived at the top of garden lane on the corner of park street im 53 years old now i know all your family i was talking to norman not long ago in south road i will aways remember victor it was a great community in the old bootle village its ashame it was all split up in the 60s
Kathy John Moorcroft

Hiya Steve, Welcome Aboard Friend, to this great friendly Site, You will meet some real nice people here on the Forum, Have Fun! Best .... John
ste mumf

hiya john thanks mate ive a friend over here visiting from sydney at the moment he is from bootle originaly he has been over in aus about 6 years now loves it
vera

Hi Steve. A Very Warm Welcome to this great site. As John has said
just ask if you need help ? i have done in the past and have had plenty of help. Good luck. and good health. to you and family Vera in oz.
vfc
annie

hello steve and welcome from me as well
Kittycat

Hi Babs, Yes I remember Victor, he was in my class at Christ Church School. Could not believe it when he died. So sad.
the top of audely street

seen many bodies coming out of the canal.
child went missing and could not be found but when a barge that was being used on the north sea gas pipeline installation along the towpath was moved a body came up ,this was by the footbridge over to bootle hospital from canal street. could have been the right period of time.
another one was a young boy who was swinging on a rope that was attached to one of the pylons "directly the top of pleasant street" behind peter marsh sack factory.
the rope must have snapped and come down and entangled him and took him to his death.
we all seen bodies getting pulled out but still we went swimming in the canal.
the langton dock goods yard
rjkellet

bit off topic ,but does anyone recall a little girl , violet , who was knocked down by a big truck coming over millers bridge , the neighboorhood was devastated ,we were all so unused to big trucks in the 50 s , she had a brother called joseph , called himself jofuss ,caused mayhem in the carrara marble yard , she had beautiful full natural curly hair ,was the biggest disaster in our local area , think we all learned a lesson from that , think she lived opposite the baths or maybe colledge view , jan in nz
Rob and Jan Kellett,Morrinsville,New Zealand
annie

my sister lived in canal street and her house backed on to the canal and i remember a little boy was missing and the dives were looking for him in the canal--i will never foget the divers coming up and waving both hand to say they hadnt found him-- he was found some days later sadly
Liz H

Hi, Babs. I have only been on this site for a few months, and have only just found your post from 2007. I think I am about the same age as, or just a bit younger than, your Norman

I lived in 33 Garden Lane and I remember it well, because it was such shock for everybody. It was quite a tight-knit little community. I believe that Victor and a friend took a polystyrene raft onto the canal and it capsized. I am glad that someone tried to rescue them, I heard that some girls were on the Stanley Road bridge trying to alert passers by and were just ignored because people thought they were playing a practical joke.
Lived in Garden Lane Bootle then moved to Netherton, where my mum still lives.
bob. b

My dad save a boy from drowning in the canal by millers bridge he was awarded for his bravery.
Scully

My dad John received an award from the Humane Society in the 50's for trying to save a boy from drowning in the canal. The award states that he tried with "another" to save the boy but sadly the boy died. My dad was never proud of the award sadly as he said he hadn't saved the boy but we were all proud of him especially as he couldn't then & never did learn to swim so we thought he was very brave.

Tracey.