Great shops that have now gone.

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
maureen howell

Do you remember:
*Hallets cake shop.It was on Stanley Road near to Sullivans.It had the best pastys ever.
Merseyspeed(car parts) it was on Warbreck Moor.It always had the car part you needed.
Felices on Stanley Road (near Strand Road)I used to go there for a Coke when I was single and still went for a cup of tea when I was a young married woman.
Can you think of any more?
Take Care
Maureen
maureen howell
kenswayken

Always had a hot black currant drink after swimming in Felices. Do you remember the Gents Outfitters just down from there Moss Menswear ? Janette 's Dad ran that shop for years. It survived on sailors buying 10 shirts & 10 undies when in port. :D Ken
maureen howell

I remember Moss Bros well.......It did a great trade.
Take Care
Maureen
maureen howell
billygooner

hi gang, not forgetting peter pell, purchased a four piece made to measure suit for my 21st, jacket/waist coat/2pair pants. ho to be young again. Regards Billy.
vinny

Scotts and Ross,s corner of Harris Drive and Orrell Lane

Stanley rd

Blackledges

dorothy834

Vinny they were great shops with a person to serve you
I worked a while in FHW shoeshop on Seaforth Road 1953 think :roll:
I would think it was the one center with the big awning
opposite the Stella...
thanks Maureen for the post ...
dorothy834
maureen howell

:D :D And what about Woolies?.Every high street had a Woolies.I worked in the Church Street shop.
Take Care
Maureen
maureen howell
Matt

How about Owen Owens? Assistants were always nicely dressed and very polite.
The only place my Aunt Mary(RIP) ever worked. Started as a junior assistant while at Liverpool University
at the end of the war
Got her degree and eventually ended up on the board of directors in her later years.
Matt
dorothy834

Maureen I worked in Woolworths in Church Street in 1955
on birthday cards with those till's that had a money drawer that shot
out and pop up numbers like2/6 and 1/11....Miss Doughty was manageress
she put the clock on by 5mins and then say you were late when you'd just
run across town from London Road cos the traffic was all blocked ...Happy Days.
dorothy834
Patricia

Maureen what a great link :D and Vinny - You posted some terrific photos - Scotts at the top of Orrell Road was where we did most of our shopping plus going into the Newsagents/Sweet Shop at the top of the block there.
I was also sent "Over the Bridge" to Sayers on Linacre Road for their delicious pastries on a Saturday and while working, would often frequent Coopers in Liverpool during Lunch hour for a sandwich!! :D
Matt - I loved Owen Owen - used to get my "California" dresses from there!! :D
Matt

You know Patricia it would not surprise me that my aunt more than likely bought some of those dresses.She,as part of her training,in the 50's and 60's
was a buyer for all new fashion.She was always in Paris,London New York
etc at fashion shows
Matt
lily8

It seems you spend a whole Saturday 'in town' going from shop to shop, in the 60's(and likely before) it was the Kardomah café for coffee, strolling around Lewis's, GHL, Blacklers, Owen Owen, St Johns Market, TJ Hughes and the source of all latest fashion (albeit very cheaply made and not likely to last the season) C&A Modes. Loved the Barrow women to bits, lots of lovely flowers brightening the city centre up, not forgetting the good old Marks and Sparks, British Home stores and the markets at Great Homer Street (some great banter to be heard there).
Lily
Patricia

Lily - Met many a date at the Kardomah used to love the glass plates and cups they used not to mention the wonderful Torte cakes and coffee they served. Always told myself that one day I would have a complete set of glass dishes and cups thought they looked so cool, especially for use in the summer. :D
lily8

Patricia :D In my time the Kardomah was known as the KD and most of the muso's/and aspiring groups used to frequent the place it was always quite lively as I remember. Found this old pic that may be of interest

Lily
lynne99

I remember Irwins that used to be in Hawthorne Rd. I think Irwins became Tescos!!
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Does anybody remember the Bazaar on Stanley Road? I have a vague memory of this shop that was huge inside, at least it seemed like it to me!!

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
maureen howell

:) :) The Bazaar on Stanley Road was a great shop...... like the Broadway Stores it sold everything from a pin to an elephant.
Take Care
Maureen
maureen howell
brenr

What about the old record shops NEMS in the strand north end music store owned by Brian Epstein. I would listen to radio Luxembourg for football matches and they would play new Tamla Motown records and you could go to Allen Bros record shop on Warbreck Moor and they would have it, best record shop in Liverpool. Clothes shops, Erics, Great Western Union, Flemings for jeans and Cape for south sea bubble brushed denims, alas showing my age lol
vinny

brenr wrote:What about the old record shops NEMS in the strand north end music store owned by Brian Epstein. I would listen to radio Luxembourg for football matches and they would play new Tamla Motown records and you could go to Allen Bros record shop on Warbreck Moor and they would have it, best record shop in Liverpool. Clothes shops, Erics, Great Western Union, Flemings for jeans and Cape for south sea bubble brushed denims, alas showing my age lol
Blair Street ..Marsh Lane..Bootle Village..Now Brighton-le-Sands (Waterloo)
dorothy834

Hi my sister in law worked for Epstiens in County RD then in Gt Charlotte st
then in Whitechaple she regrets not getting all the autographs she could have
She would of been well off now..
dorothy834
Roy Deegan

Maureen, Your picture shows the order delivery bikes outside Ross, shop. I was a delivery boy for the shop on Hawthorne Road for a year and then the following year I did a summer job at Thos Scotts in one of their shops further along Hawthorne Road in the days before refrigeration put me off bacon & eggs for a year or two. :lol:
maureen howell

HHi Roy
The picture of Scotts is great.Vinny put it on site.My mother used to shop in those shops as well as Irwins and the Co-op further down the road.
Take Care
Maureen
maureen howell
Patricia

Lily - You did good - that is a great photo see C&A Modes across the street another store I used to frequent. In fact the dress I wore to my Grandparents 50th Anniversary came from there! :D
When you visited the Kardomah were they still utilizing the glass dishware?

Maureen - The manager of the Co-op a Mr. Sidney Roberts lived across the street from us, used to see him riding his bike to work each day
.He and his wife retired eventually to the Isle of Man.
There was also another shop on that particular block that my bros used to purchase their comic books and then there was another shop that
sold fantastic pastries one I remember was called the "Chocolate Box" miniature squares of cake with cream inside and surrounded with four
slices of thin chocolate. They were delicious!! OH my, is my mouth watering at the memory!! :D I believe the Post Office was at the end?
Wonder what is now there?
Davida

Hi Everyone, does anyone remember a butchers shop in Bootle (do not know street name) run by James Coleman.
Children were Valerie; William (Billie) ; Geoffrey (Jeffrey)
Second marriage to Polly they had a son Peter Coleman that raised/owned (?) horses.

Regards
David Arnold
Regards
David Arnold
walter raybould

I can remember Allenby's across the rd from the north pk and the CO-OP, which was the first supermarket of its era, shoppers had to leave their shopping bags in a collection point inside the entrance,then pick them up when they had paid for their groceries. Think that was about early 50's anyone remember that? I think it was situated near to where the Lidl store now stands.
griffo

My mum worked in Sturlas on LInacre Road
I used to love going in there as a child they had a tube type container they put the vouchers in when you paid and it would 'disappear' up a pipe
dorothy834

Walter ..Allenbys was opposite the Salvation Army
do you remember Danny working there
Becketts the Fish and Greengrocer was almost opposite the park
I can remember all those shops as I grew up in Ash Street the co..op
being on the corner they too had those tubes the money went in to
the cashiers in the center of the shop floor they also had an up stairs floor
Happy days..

Dorothy
dorothy834
Patricia

Lily - That photo you posted certainly brought back a lot of memories! :D
Mum used to do a lot of her shopping at Scotts on Hawthorne Road. One of the ladies that worked there for years had a most unusual name Memie (sp) - used to love it when Mum bought as a treat on occasion those mini trifles Scotts made also their cream buns!! :D
efc46

Frank Hessy's /Rushworths Cranes great guitar shops.I remember 2 Gibson J45 in a glass case in Rushworths bought by John Lennon and George Harrison I bought a hofner verithin / a futerama/ and a hofner compensator off Jim Gretty in Hessy's a pound a week Paul Macartney used to pay his guitar off along side everyone else who had a guitar on the nock great shops / Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
tipster

I think the Bazar was by another well known shop Reg Sloans, he did all the house removals, also a little butchers, opposite the irish Club called Dans, then there was Patches opposite the strand, for all the penny round collars, all shops I went in regular. Dans did the best salt dog ever
TONY
Brunnyboy

brooksies for shoes on knowsley rd
frank2014

anyone remember costigans
Brunnyboy

there was one on marsh lane facing bradshaw walk were i lived the fella who worked there big and skinny with a shaved head
dorothy834

Costigans in Strand Road always had sacks of
rice..lentils raisins currants etc on the shop floor
with the top of the sack turned over..
and the there was the Home colonial. ? Remember a chap name Dave there
just loved all the shops in Strand Road 40,/50s and Stanley Road up to the North park
and Dylis's chippie...mmm

Dorothy
dorothy834
Brunnyboy

Arthur prince on Knowsley rd a bookies