Bootle Saying's

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
vicbee

I was looking at the picture of the demolished taxi office posted by BOBHAMO, my late mum ( Ann Brennan nee Porter) worked there for a few years in the late 70's, it got me and my dad talking off the thing's she always used to say.
Whenever she was asked where she came from she always replied 'Bootle where the bugs wear clogs' !! with pride!!!! , if us kids ever asked her what colour something was she would always reply 'sky blue pink with a finny adder border', and she always called the cupboard under the stairs the cooey not the cubby, whenever I call it this people not from Bootle don't know what I'm talking about!!

Vic
researching Brennan, Porter, Carey,Kneen, Casaru, Barber, Hegarty.
Marie777

Vic, you could have started something there "Bootle where the bugs wear clogs and the kids play tick with hatchets" The one I used to hate was when you asked "What's for afters" it was always " Kippers and custard" The Uncles would come visiting on a Sunday and ask "Give us a kiss and lends a shilling"There must be a million of them.
Cheers
Marie
chaucerstreet

Marie777 wrote:Vic, you could have started something there "Bootle where the bugs wear clogs and the kids play tick with hatchets" The one I used to hate was when you asked "What's for afters" it was always " Kippers and custard" The Uncles would come visiting on a Sunday and ask "Give us a kiss and lends a shilling"There must be a million of them.
Cheers
Marie
If we asked my mother 'what's for dinner?' she'd often say 'sh*t with sugar on'. Well, she was from Coleridge Street ...
the top of audely street

your all my arse and a bag of banana,s.
the langton dock goods yard
vicbee

Ha! Ha! I never once heard my late mum swear. She told me that she was asked a question by the teacher once and the answer was 'frigate', she wouldn't reply though as she thought it was a swear word!!! My dad on the other hand was a Bootle docker who swore like a trooper.

Vic
researching Brennan, Porter, Carey,Kneen, Casaru, Barber, Hegarty.
chaucerstreet

the top of audely street wrote:your all my arse and a bag of banana,s.
Oh that did make me laugh - it reminds me of my Dad, who used to say 'my arse' to anything he didn't agree with. His mother had a colourful turn of phrase, apparently, and wasn't averse to referring to someone who'd displeased her as a 'gobsh*te'. Our little family used to cut quite a dash on the south coast when the relations came to stay!
dee hogan

Question when are we going somewhere nice mam Answer some Sunday when theres no mass :roll:
hogan history
jwalker85@hotmail.com

vicbee wrote:I was looking at the picture of the demolished taxi office posted by BOBHAMO, my late mum ( Ann Brennan nee Porter) worked there for a few years in the late 70's, it got me and my dad talking off the thing's she always used to say.
Whenever she was asked where she came from she always replied 'Bootle where the bugs wear clogs' !! with pride!!!! , if us kids ever asked her what colour something was she would always reply 'sky blue pink with a finny adder border', and she always called the cupboard under the stairs the cooey not the cubby, whenever I call it this people not from Bootle don't know what I'm talking about!!

Vic
You have a good memory! You are most exact and correct I can remember my Grandmother Mary Nolan Walker using the same exact expressions when she didn't know what to say in reply to my question or that she didn't think it was appropriate for a young child to be asking shuch things.Joe
It takes all types to make the world go on its merry way!
By the way I feel sure God made it just like the way he likes it!
RYTER2

Some great old expressions recalled so far.

One that I never heard outside of Bootle or Liverpool was a 'Wigwam for a goose's bridle' I believe that it was often used when a parent couldn't answer an inquisitive child's question.

It wasn't an expression, but our Dad used to say, 'Go and see if I'm upstairs.'
Bernie R

Act soft and I'll buy you a coalyard!

Go to the top of the class and give the blackleads out!
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Roberta

How old are you Mam?

Answer:- As old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth (made sense to me)

Why Mam?

Answer:- 'Cos Y's a crooked letter and you can't straighten it! (couldn't understand that one)

Cheers
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmyx3

vicbee wrote:I was looking at the picture of the demolished taxi office posted by BOBHAMO, my late mum ( Ann Brennan nee Porter) worked there for a few years in the late 70's, it got me and my dad talking off the thing's she always used to say.

Vic
the bootle beetle, i wonder if this had anything to do with it,,,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NduHFmmB ... re=related
"Three Days in June." Parachute Regiment, https://phelmets.wixsite.com/mysite
chaucerstreet

PETER CRAIG wrote:Hi all,

He could not stop a pig in a jigger.
One of my Dad's favourites, that one!

Also, when someone had died and we asked what they died of, he'd say 'shortage of breath'
Marie777

When somebody elderly died they used to say "he'll get his bum smacked for staying too long"
Cheers
Marie
lily8

Yer Cows Melt yes heard it as well, but no joke but what exactly (dont answer if its too rude) is a cows melt?????

Lily
RYTER2

Lily,

A google search reveals the following answers to someone who posed a question about the origin of Cow's Melt:

First reply

I vaguely remember the term from my youth in the Midwest US during WWII when rural people slaughtered there own animals. It has been so long and I was so young that I do not remember what "melt" was. I believe it was discarded to the dogs.

Second Reply

: : Webster's Second Intl. shows "melt" as a "now dialectal" variant of "milt," and one of its definitions for "milt" is "the spleen." In the Oxford English Dict., "milt" meaning the spleen of mammals goes back to the year 700, appro

Sorry, it's a bit grusome, but you did ask :)

Bill
lily8

Hi Bill I think I can now understand what was meant by the expression perhaps a spleenful person ie one who vents ones spleen in other words a nasty pasty????

Cheers
Lily
Allan Stoddern

When ever me Grandad was looking for anything, no matter what it was, he would say
" Wheres the DOINGS " Never really understood that.
Born in Kirk St, Lived in Derby Road,
Now in Roby, Liverpool
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
henry

get up the DANCERS and get to bed
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
chaucerstreet

Allan Stoddern wrote:When ever me Grandad was looking for anything, no matter what it was, he would say
" Wheres the DOINGS " Never really understood that.
Me neither, but both parents used it all the time. And if there was something wrong, they'd say 'what's the do?'
chaucerstreet

dee hogan wrote:Question when are we going somewhere nice mam Answer some Sunday when theres no mass :roll:
... or when Good Friday falls on a Saturday
daveowe

These were favourites at work.

Regarding a person who was always available to work overtime,
'He would work the two minutes silence if it was available'

Regarding those lacking abilities
'As much use as a one-legged man at an a..e kicking party'
'As useless as a cast-iron t.t'
'Has less ideas than a concrete parrot'

daveowe
Jan

:lol:

Here are a few I like:-

Are you readin that Echo yer sittin on?
If yer fall off that wall an break yer legs, don't come runnin ter me!

He/she's got a face like a smacked ar**

I'm not saying our Tommy's got a big head, but I sent him to get 5lb spuds in is cap.

Another great one is when you were naughty and your mum smacked you, she would smack and tell you off in rhyme don't (smack) you (smack) ever (smack) do (smack) that(smack) again.

Anyone with a long face, me mam would say look at the gob on that one, or he/she's got lips like rolls of lino.

Jan
chaucerstreet

Jan wrote::lol:

Another great one is when you were naughty and your mum smacked you, she would smack and tell you off in rhyme don't (smack) you (smack) ever (smack) do (smack) that(smack) again.

Jan
Billy Connolly did a very funny skit on that - he said no wonder he has such a good sense of rhythm!
maisie & alec

Oh Jan ,
Youre smack, smack ,and smack again had me in stitches.
You described it to a T !!

Mam what,s for breakfast - reply - fried spit on toast!!

Teresa
georgewiliam

My old father in law, Jimmy Cummins, had some unusual sayings:

Of someone who talked a load of rubbish-
God blessed him with the perfect arsehole but then filled it full of teeth

Definition of overeaction
There is a difference between scratchng your arse and and tearing it to shreds

One other saying makes no sense but somehow invokes a feeling that you know precisely what is meant----he's got a head like a robber's dog!
Marie777

Uncle George "Oh I don't know I think I am dyin'"

Aunty Mary "Oh stick around you might come in handy"

Marie
mckeown

a few i remember!

he's got a head like birkenhead.

face like a boxer licking p*** of a nettle.

as to when something was going to happen??
when donnely docks,and he hasn't got a ship yet!

you'll waste away to a warehouse.

face like a welders bench,ar*e like a bag of spanners.banging like a back door.

only wears her knickers to keep her ankles warm :oops:

you can wish in one hand,sh** in the other,but i know which one will fill up first.

black as the hobs of hell

back on you like a front

your hand'll wither

cheap at half the price

i'll slap you good looking

peal an orange in his pocket with a boxing glove on

he's got deep pocket,and short arms.

a smile like a row of bombed houses

more front than blackpool

i think i'll stop now :D
ron waters

ALRIGHT DER SCON ED
donegaldan

prick from liggets

more meat on a strag from the grainy

smile like a tate n lyle rat
jangler, a blurt
too old to die young
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Some answers I got when I was 'blimpin the crumpet'.

"AY GERL. DO YER WANNA FELLER"

"SOD OFF TITCH. I WANNA FELLER . NORRA SHERT BUTTON".

"CAN I 'AVE THIS DANCE".

"NO --- I'M SWEATIN' ---ASK ME MATE. "
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

If you had rubber for brains you wouldn't have enough rubber to make a french letter for a canary.
marielou

Dont do that yer mother will ave a canary fit.
As thick as 2 short planks of wood.
Run for this message I need it yesterday and if you fall over dont stop to pick yourself up.

Butter wouldent melt in his/her mouth.
We lose dignity if we tolerate the intolerable.