blairgowerie prep school breeze hill

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
jean andrew

Anyone out there remember the above mentioned school.My friend attended 1958-1965 appprox her name was then Arlene Parsons.
Thanks a lot

Jean xx
Peter W

Hi! Jean,

If you look up my Images of England " BOOTLE " book on pages 42-43 there are two photographs of that particular school.
matt wethered

Hi Jean,if you ever can get Sue from Victoria out of hiding(J-P's cousin) she used to go to Blairgowrie,but as she is sooo!!!! much older than your friend she may not have known her.That may get her back on line.My Sheila's sister used to go there as well but is a few years younger than your friend and my connection is my uncle Dr. Wethered used to live next door to the school before moving to Blundellsands but I am sure it was on Merton road near the top, not Breeze hill.
Sue where are you? time to put the engine back in the little red sports car.
Matt
marcos_cu

When I started at Bootle Grammar in 1968 one of the new boys had attended that school. I remember being impressed that it was a private school.. I assumed then as I did until reading your post today that it was situated somewhere in Scotland.
So I am wiser now than I was before!
Formerly Assissian Crescent, Netherton - Bootle Grammar 1968-72

http://wip330.110mb.com/
http://www.withnellmill.co.uk/
ron waters

MATT OLD BEAN You will have to put your thinking cap on again ,
BLAIRGOWRIE SCHOOL was in Breeze Hill , it was a big double
fronted house , and there was a back entrance to it for the
tradesmen , which was in Oxford Avenue , which is off Oxford Road
when we came out of Balliol Road school and crossed over into
Breeze Hill we always noticed the girls from Blairgowrie in their
pretty uniforms .
TTFN
Ron
jean andrew

marcos, hello.
There is a Blairgowerie in Scotland about 5 miles from Perth.It is a beautiful village and i have spent many good holidays there with my pensioners group.It has a river running through and is well worth a visit ,so in a way you were correct.

jean x.x.
matt wethered

I stand corrected my OLD friend Ron.Funny how you know your way around now but Red Ron used to tell me that you were always getting lost when you were a bus driver.
Matt
ron waters

Matt Red Ron for some reason used to call me Zoomerlong IRENE and PETER can tell you a lot of drivers were called swingers , staying behind other buses to let the bus in front do all the work , Peter will be able to tell you many years when the bus es had conductors on them , the conductor was in charge of the time , and if you were caught running early the driver did'nt get booked , it was the conductor . but Peter was such a quiet Inspector and did'nt book many people { little joke ]
TTFN
Ron
matt wethered

Hi Sue,it's about time you put the grandchild down and let David sell some houses on his own!
We missed you.I was getting lulled into a false sense of security when you had'nt picked on me for so long,now all we need is J-P to start posting again and we can get back to telling everyone about "Paradise Island"
Matt
nobert

I attended from 1952 to 56/57 names I can recall are Pauline Black Beryl Topam Roy Andrew,his farther owned the sweet shop on the corner of Hawthorne rd and Wadham rd Alan Price Arthur Tucker Joyce Renee Louis Lechequ Malcomb Bromilow Steven Williams
Art teacher Mrs Williams
The school was run by Miss Broadhurst and her father, they lived on the premmises.
The big house next door was owned by the R.N.and was a cadet training centre
I have a photo album somwhere if I can find it I will try to post the pictures at a later date
matt wethered

Hi Norert,could the Louis you knew have the surname Letiequ and had a problem with his spine in that he could not walk and was confined to a special wheelchair?
Matt
nobert

Hi Matt.

Yes it was ,they lived at the bottom end of Merton road below Stanley rd on the left side as I remember
Another name wich comes to mind is Walter Puddiffer and his brother Teddy,I think that his farther was Pudiffers scrap metal merchants and I think that they are still trading

Mark
matt wethered

Hi Mark/Norbert,they were really good friends of our whole family.I have posted about them before.The dads name was also Louis and we always referred to them as Big Louis and Little Louis..The house they lived in was one of the places that Hookey Walker of the WW2 convoys fame, boarded at,when he was in Bootle .I can't remember the other one but someone on the forum told me about it and there is a plaque on the front to tell all about it
Matt
matt wethered

Hi Mark,just talked to my mother about the Letiequ family and she remembers Monsieur Louis as as perfect gentleman who was so helpful to her when we first arrived in Bootle.My mums English was not what you could call "perfect"at the time so she used to walk up to their house when we lived in 66 merton road,get a translation of what she wanted to tell my gran and write it down .My mother and I must have walked up and down merton road thousands of times.My English was'nt that good either because the first language I learned was from my mother and we only spoke French and a bit of Italian to each other.
Matt
lindylou

My cousin Billy Truesdale from Queens Road went to Blairgowrie. He was the only one of the family that ever went to a private school as far as I know. We thought they must be rich.
Linda :lol:
Lived in Captains Lane,emigrated to NZ then Oz
malcolmpx

I went to Blairgowrie prep school and left in 1958. I remember Beryl Topham, Louis Letiequ, Malcolm Bromilow, Wendy McFadyen and her brother Peter who was a few years older than us, Walter Puddifer and David Thomas. Louis Letiequ loved to come to our house to play because my brother, who was 9 years older, used to piggy back Louis so that he could join in all the activities. David Thomas lived opposite to us in University Road. He had a hole in the heart and was always struggling for breath. I understand he was the first person to have a hole in the heart operation and it certainly improved his life.

Does anyone know why it was called Blairgowrie school? Was it because that was the original name of the house?
nobert

May be a connection with Blairgowrie in Scotland
Mark
oriel55

malcolmpx wrote:I went to Blairgowrie prep school and left in 1958. I remember Beryl Topham, Louis Letiequ, Malcolm Bromilow, Wendy McFadyen and her brother Peter who was a few years older than us, Walter Puddifer and David Thomas. Louis Letiequ loved to come to our house to play because my brother, who was 9 years older, used to piggy back Louis so that he could join in all the activities. David Thomas lived opposite to us in University Road. He had a hole in the heart and was always struggling for breath. I understand he was the first person to have a hole in the heart operation and it certainly improved his life.

Does anyone know why it was called Blairgowrie school? Was it because that was the original name of the house?
I remember David Thomas with the hole in his heart, always out of breath. I went to Balliol Road Secondary Modern School 1959-63 and David attended for a short while, although I do not recall him attending for the whole time I was at the school. I recall how all those 'rough' kids, that we were in those days, were always calm and considerate towards him, instinctively understanding his difficulties, he really did struggle for breath. Even now I can picture him leaning on the wall adjacent to the water fountain, out of breath at 'Play Time.' I am so pleased to learn from you that his life improved after his operation, he was a lovely lad.

I also remember how beautiful University Road and the houses situated there were. When it was bulldozed to make way for Government offices it was an act of gross vandalism, as was the same fate that befell the houses in St Albans Road. The houses in both roads were of excellent quality and its a mystery to me why they had to be erased.
lindylou

My cousin Billy Truesdale went there
Lived in Captains Lane,emigrated to NZ then Oz
lynne99

I went to BGSG with Linda Truesdale, any relation. Lynne