roberts primary school pennington road

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
elvisontour

I was at the last day of Roberts council primary school before it was demolished. They put up all the photos from different years in each class and they had all the registers in the main hall The question I want to ask is What happens to all the photos and documents from the school once it is closed down? They where all displayed on the last day but I never had a camera to take any photos of anything that was displayed on that day and I was on alot of the photos with friends.. Does anyone know where they put all the old photos and where there sent or are they just all destroyed ??
n3ttl3

Can't help you there Elvis, but wouldn't mind finding out myself, my mum, sister, me & daughter all attended Roberts, it was a lovely school (in my opinion). I'm sure someone on here will know the answer though.
cheers
Annette
Always a Carey, Never a Traitor!
rivermersey

Hi I also went to the last day exhibition at Roberts school.
In the school hall they had the school log book / diary on view I tracked this down to Crosby Library upstairs in the local history section.
If you speak to them they may be able to help you.
Born in Bootle 1960 lived on Bailey Drive then the old roan.
n3ttl3

Thanks for that RiverMersey

I've emailed Crosby library (I live in Leicestershire) to see if they can provide online information, if not, guess where I'm off to next time I come home to visit.

All the best
Annette :)
Pamsy

n3ttl3 wrote:Thanks for that RiverMersey

I've emailed Crosby library (I live in Leicestershire) to see if they can provide online information, if not, guess where I'm off to next time I come home to visit.

All the best
Hi Annette, can you ask them about the pics also? Me, my sister and family went to that school and I would love to see some pics. I was in some plays and my sister played hockey in the school yard....lots of memories...
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
n3ttl3

Hi Pamsy

Had a reply from the very nice, helpful chap at the library, (he's provided me with information previously). He said you have to go in person to see the files etc on Roberts as 'there are quite a few boxes'. However, he's sending me a list, via snail mail, of what the have, so I'll post the list on here, when I get it, which will hopefully be later this week.

All the best
Pamsy

n3ttl3 wrote:Hi Pamsy

Had a reply from the very nice, helpful chap at the library, (he's provided me with information previously). He said you have to go in person to see the files etc on Roberts as 'there are quite a few boxes'. However, he's sending me a list, via snail mail, of what the have, so I'll post the list on here, when I get it, which will hopefully be later this week.

All the best
thanks Annette, be interesting to see what is in the boxes...I can always get a family member to represent me and scan what I would like at the library
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
elvisontour

Went to Crosby today to view the boxes of items they had from Roberts primary school but because of the data protection act I was not allowed to photocopy or take photos of any of the documents or photos they had but would recommend anyone to go visit the library to view the items they do have there are not a lot of the photographs that where displayed on the last day of opening at the school. two photos of mr tidball with class of 1986 other photos range from 1990 onwards not much from earlier only a few newspaper cut outs of school play and a few other bits.

The best is the day by day diary or as there named log books from 1929 onwards these give you a great incite of the teachers and there day to day duties and things that happened at the school from fires drills to robbery's of items and a few children's names mentioned for problems or accidents.

I will put up a list of the items they have to view and a big thanks to all that contacted me to let me know where I could find these items.

I just wish they would let you photocopy the photos but they said there was no chance but I will post anything else I find through friends and other means thanks again..

Elvis.. :lol:
BOBHAMO

How do I consult the material?
Due to the historic nature of the material, the collection is not on open shelves; however the staff will provide access to most material on request. If this is to be your first visit you may want to contact us in advance to discuss your requirements.
In particular, you may need to give us advance notice to access some archive items: again, if you are making a special journey, we advise you to contact us beforehand. In addition, a few items are very fragile, so may not be available at all.
The online library catalogue includes local history books; but maps, photos and archives are listed separately so pease ask the staff for help.
If you wish to consult sources on microfilm or microfiche, you may want to pre-book time on a machine: this is free. Each Unit has a microfilm reader-printer and a photocopier: there is a small fee for copies. Access to the Internet, including Ancestry Library Edition, is free via People's Network computers in Sefton's libraries.
We have also put together a selection of useful local and family history links, to help you seek information for yourself.
what a pity elvis if the photos where on micro film you could copy them
but not in collections , what harm can you do by taking a copy of a photo of your old school class mates there are loads on this site who have put on photos this data protection act is a farce when it comes to just taking a few copies , yet you can copy off the computers
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
griffo

Thankyou so much for posting the details of what is held in Crosby Library about Roberts Drive School from 1929. The Roberts Drive School that I know is in Pennington Avenue and I was confused by this when doing my family tree.I have an address of 19 Pennington Avenue on a birth certficate from 1929 and this is the school address. Somebody has suggested to me that in fact in 1929, Roberts Drive School was in Roberts Drive and not Pennington Avenue and so 19 Pennington Avenue in 1929 would not have actually been the school. Does anybody know if this is correct :?:
BOBHAMO

The 1938 street dir no 19 pennington ave John Grimes
roberts school is listed in marmion ave
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
griffo

Bob thanks for that, sorry, was the school in Roberts Drive or Pennington Avenue. There are two addresses both in Pennington Avenue on the birth certificate father at one mother at another both are what was Roberts Drive school address so that is why Im confused. Elvis has seen records from 1929 at the library and I will be taking a trip down there at some point to see them as they sound really interesting. I think the school had photos on display which were lent to them so maybe that is why Crosby Library have not go all of the ones that people saw exhibited.
BOBHAMO

My Dad lived in Marmion ave and when i went to see my nan we went through the alleyway off watts lane the school faced oppisate
now one side is Marmion ave and the other is pennington ave
baucherwas at the back and roberts drive went back to bailey drive
so take your pick i always thought it was marmion ave
but hope you have luck Griffo
P S I have a portable scanner which is very good olny about 11 inchs
by 2inchs which copies anythink then download on your computer
migyt give it ago at crosby :roll: :roll:
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
griffo

Thanks so much Bob and Good Luck at Library :P
elvisontour

The records where dated back to 9/1/1928 and every child was listed from then onwards in a register which has the parents names and the address they lived at the time and even if they had moved from another school. also the the staff names and there address at the time. These are large books but are easy to find yourself if you have dates of when you attended when looking myself I found old friend names I had forgotten.

It states on the boxes that they where donated in 2006. I only managed to see 3 boxes but these did have a lot of information in them but not alot of photos I did see folders which where displayed in the school but others where not present which baffled me a bit also the box numbered only box 14 box 15 box 20 and box 21 and box 22 this makes me wonder if they have other boxes not on display as these would hold the family photos which maybe can not be viewed for some reason. I did ask the gentleman who was very helpfull but he stated that there was no way I could take copies because of data protection which also baffles me as everyone else who looked through other items on that floor where taking photocopies but these where of newspaper items and death records.
I hope you have better luck than me but im just glad I had chance to read the log books.

If you wish to see these at the library I would ring early and give dates of the times you where at the school this way the box you need will be brought up for you as they only have a few members of staff upstairs and they said they cant leave the floor once people are in.

I will be going back to the library myself so if you would like me too look it up while there i will jot down details.

I hope this helps others also they have records of other schools in the bootle area one being oriel school which I attended for a short while so will be looking at them files aswell.

Good Luck

Elvis..

:D
n3ttl3

Hello All

I've received the lists from Crosby Library regarding the contents of the boxes, however, it will take me some time to scan them in and post them - however, if I get a bit of spare time over the weekend, I'll just type out what there is - it may be quicker!

Shame the stuff can't be copied - does anyone know if the photograph album Mr Mawhinney left at the school of our trip to Skerries was in any of the boxes as it's not listed.

It was definitely there when my daughter started at the school as Mrs Burrows made a point of showing it to me.

All the best
Jackah

I’m wondering does anyone remember the rowbottom family we lived at 62 watts lane late 60/ early 70s
BOBHAMO

Welcome Jackah :D :D :D
hope you get reply
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Allen Jones

Very interesting topic. I went to Roberts Drive school in the early 1950s then moved to St Georges later. It would be nice to hear if the photos went back that far. Also what happened to the history(photos/documents etc) of St Georges. I played goalie in the A team for a while and I know that there were photos taken of the various teams. Also took part in some of the annual plays. Anyone remember Ben Gunn in Treasure Island or Ratty in Wind in the Willows. Regards to all BBs.
sheilaformby

n3ttl3 wrote:Hello All

Hi, I'm wondering if you had a list of the items that Crosby library held re Roberts drive senior school,

Thanks a lot.

Sheila

I've received the lists from Crosby Library regarding the contents of the boxes, however, it will take me some time to scan them in and post them - however, if I get a bit of spare time over the weekend, I'll just type out what there is - it may be quicker!

Shame the stuff can't be copied - does anyone know if the photograph album Mr Mawhinney left at the school of our trip to Skerries was in any of the boxes as it's not listed.

It was definitely there when my daughter started at the school as Mrs Burrows made a point of showing it to me.

All the best

:P
n3ttl3 wrote:Hello All

All the best
n3ttl3

Hi Sheila

Unfortunately my computer broke, I will have a look for the lists and scan them in at work. It may take some time to find them as I know I put them ‘somewhere safe’!

All the best
Annette
elvisontour

Did The List Ever Turn Up :roll:
n3ttl3

Not yet I’m afraid, they are in an envelope somewhere! Now I’m not working I will have time to make a systematic search. I really need to go home and camp out in the library!
BossHogg

My best mate Ian Woods went to Roberts
EdMcDonald

My sisters Minnie and Jean went to Roberts 1938 and 1943. I went there 1948. Only names i remember are Mr and Miss Darcy. Head mistress may have been a Mrs. Jones.
Home of the "Edmonton Oilers" Future Stanley Cup Champions. :D
A long way from Duncan B.C. :wink:
Pamsy

I created 2 School sites on facebook......there are tons of pics of ROBERTS.....if interested check them out:

MERSEYSIDE SCHOOL DAYS

ROBERTS SEC SCHOOL FOR GIRLS

Angela also has ROBERTS PRIMARY SCHOOL......

I recommend this group all the time on these groups as you guys are the salt of the Earth. I have been a member for a very long time and I love seeing familiar names still on here....hugs to you all.....
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
Dan

From the Liverpool Echo

Nativity play at Roberts CP Primary School, Bootle. Mary & Joseph are played by pupils Jennifer Hourihane and Andrew O'Halloran, both aged 8.
14th December 1995.