Going to the Pictures

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Going to the Pictures

Hello I am currently doing a Community Heritage Project about Cinema going in the local area from the 1930's to the 1960's. Through the project I will collect peoples memories of cinema these will be used to make a film, exhibitions, a website and cinema heritage trail. If you have any stories, photo's or memorabillia to share about local cinemas. Please get in touch. Christina goingtothepictures@plazacinema.org.uk
I'f anyone has memories to share of cinemas in the local area from the 30's to 60's please get in touch
efc46

:) hi as a lad in the early fifties I used to go the Gainy Abc minors Sat morning and if it was your birthday you went on stage and got a free tub of ice cream and
a free pass for next week Sunny (doorman) said to me:Davey the amount of birthdays you have you have to be at least 106 years old (he was wrong107) great days Davey Rowlands Balfour road Ex pat
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Going to the Pictures

Hi Davey your story made me laugh, would you like to get involved in the project and share some more of your cinema memories. I am looking for people with stories like yours to interview. These will be made into a film and exhibitions and go into the North West Sound Archive and preserved for future generations. If people are uncomfortable being filmed I also have memory slips which people can write down their stories. Drop me an email at goingtothepictures@plazacinema.org.uk Look forward to hearing your cinema tales, thanks for getting in touch Christina
I'f anyone has memories to share of cinemas in the local area from the 30's to 60's please get in touch
maureen howell

:lol: :lol: Hi Folks
I sent the 3 children to the pictures and my youngest son actually commited the cardinal sin of The Gaumont:
He went up the stairs at the side of the screen
He walked across behind the screen
An image of him came onto the screen
My eldest daughter felt soooo ashamed she kept her head down
A male assistant went on after him
The struggle was portrade on the screen
Take Care
Maureen
maureen howell
Going to the Pictures

Hi Maureen thanks for the response, another funny story that would be great to share and use in the project. If you would like to get involved in the project and share your Cinema memories please get in touch thanks and look forward to hearing from you Christina goingtothepictures@plazacinema.org.uk
IanA

I used to play the cinema organ in what is now the Plaza in Waterloo. It was the late 60s, I was still at school but playing the organ at St John's Church, Waterloo when I was told that Mr Gabbott (I think) wanted an assistant for Saturday afternoon matinees. After an introduction to the organ and a word with the manageress, I was appointed at the fee of £2 and two free tickets to whatever film was on that week. My job was pretty simple - I had to accompany the cinema song - "We're coming to the Classic on a Saturday afternoon" to the tune of the "Yellow rose of Texas" and also "Raindrops keep fallin' on my head" when the birthdays were announced. I usually stayed to watch the cartoons as well!

It was a fine cinema organ with light panels at the sides so that you could play "Rhapsody in Blue" in blue if you wanted and a large array of stops which operated actual instruments using the wind pressure. For example, there was a real xylophone, bass drum, side drum, tubular bells and cymbal which you could play from the organ console. There were also 'effects' such as thunder, fire bell, surf and a klaxon, amongst others. The organ was situated right at the front of the auditorium and there was always a danger of kids turning it on (probably causing the blower motor to burn out) so, when we turned it off, the aeroplane stop was always left on. Thus, if little George accidentally on purpose pressed the button he would get the fright of his life as the organ made a sound like a Lancaster bomber going over at rooftop height.

I often wonder what happened to the instrument - is it still there? Was it preserved or sold for scrap?

Ian
Going to the Pictures

Thanks for that memory Ian, can I use that in the project? I will do a bit of detective work and try to find out what happend to the organ. If you would like to share more of your stories and get involved with the project that would be great. Also anyone else you may know with memories, photos or memorabillia to share ask them to contact me. Thanks for the response I love hearing the stories Christina goingtothepictures@plazacinema.co.uk
IanA

Going to the Pictures wrote:Thanks for that memory Ian, can I use that in the project?goingtothepictures@plazacinema.co.uk
Feel free.

I only did the job for a short time so I haven't much more to add. I do remember the resident organist asking me to show him my pedalling - which I did. I remember him being pretty disdainful as I used both my feet (classically trained). He explained that I should learn the 'one-legged organist' style which involved bouncing just the left foot about the pedals while using the right foot for the swell pedals.

I can't remember the name of the manageress now, but she was a lovely lady and always made me feel welcome and valued.

Ian
BOBHAMO

Great memories ian
have located your cinema organ

http://www.cinema-organs.org.uk/artists/redfern.html
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
IanA

That is great news, Bob. I have sent a message. I'm very grateful for your help.

Ian
IanA

And here it is. A bit different from how I remember it -

http://www.cinema-organs.org.uk/venues/belper.html
Patricia

Bob- You did an excellent job findng out the location of the organ after all this time :D That was very interesting reading.
It takes both rain & sunshine to make a rainbow
Going to the Pictures

Thats fantastic news about the Plaza organ discovery. Really interesting well done Bob and thanks, I am really pleased it is still in existence and use, from Ian's story it sounded like a fantastic instrument. Do you have any cinema memories you would like to share, please get in touch THANKS AGAIN Christina goingtothepictures@plazacinema.org.uk
Bernie R

Christina

Lots of old cinema stuff on this thread...

http://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/vi ... abc+minors

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Charlie35

Well done Bob!
Charlie35
PETER CRAIG

Going to the Pictures wrote:Hello I am currently doing a Community Heritage Project about Cinema going in the local area from the 1930's to the 1960's. Through the project I will collect peoples memories of cinema these will be used to make a film, exhibitions, a website and cinema heritage trail. If you have any stories, photo's or memorabillia to share about local cinemas. Please get in touch. Christina goingtothepictures@plazacinema.org.uk
Welcome to the Bootle forum Christina,
Peter.
Patricia

Christina - I remember a group of us girls used to get together each Saturday and regularly go to the movies then reinact same of an evening in whosever house the parents had gone out for the evening. We never reinacted the following picture:

That particular Saturday as usual, we tried to get into see the picture that was playing.ie: Spiral Staircase" I believe we had to beg some adults to take us in (which was common practice). Well, that movie changed my life from then on, I was so scared that for years, I would never go to bed without first checking all the wardrobes in the house (In the picture the camera slowly panned into the open closet door and then into an eye that was peering out in between the clothing in the closet - it absolutely freaked me out). Guess I never gave it a thought as to what my reaction would have been if somebody had actually been in the wardrobe I was searching!! My two brothers really missed out on an opportunity of a lifetime there - thank goodness :D
Going to the Pictures

Thank you everyone for your replies and thank you to the Bootle Times Forum I have had people contacting me by email who now live in Canada and Australia sharing their Cinema Memories. Thank you so much and keep them coming I love hearing about them. Patricia is it ok to use your story within the project? If you have any other memories to share please get in touch Christina goingtothepictures@plazacinema.org.uk
WatsonTommy

i went to the palace in marsh lane.we would have terpuline muster and send one of us in to open the door and we all bunked in the doorman wore a glittering uniform and a officer type coulered cap his name was sunny?we would come out slapping or bums giddyuping down marsh lane then we would take jam jars to dalbys scrapyard in salisbury road,and run messages from the shops to get our picture money(roy rogers gabby/ hayes /tex ritter/ lone ranger gene autry all my heros when i grew up to find ranndolph scott and gabby hayes were gay still dont believe it,sun hall ' gainsbourh.muncaster irlam road/the carlton there are only 3 bootle cinmas left in bootle,still in use for other purposeswhat are they and were are they,we also got 6 pence for going for coke from the gas works,and thats the only time you would see a marsh lane lad push a pram...
Going to the Pictures

Hi Tommy Thanks for your story it made me laugh, is it ok to use it within the project? Any other cinema memories you would like to share please get in touch I would love to here them. Your phrase tarpaulin muster is a new phrase Ive learnt today, Ive never heard that expression before, you learn something new each day! As for the cinemas in Bootle and their uses today - through my research here is what I've found. Over the years Bootle has had 7 cinemas Broadway/Odeon/Gaumont Stanley road is now Riley's Snooker Club. The Gainsborough Knowsley Road is demolished and on the site is the extension of car showrooms. Picture Palace of Bootle/Empire Picture Theatre Knowsley road is now Bootle Labour Club. Bootle Picture Palace Marsh lane now medical centre. Metropole Stanley road building destroyed during the blitz site now a bookies. Sun Hall / Imperial Cinema Stanley road and New Princes Theatre/ Strand Cinema Irlam road I'm still researching. Through the project I am focusing on 21 cinemas that the areas had over the years, collecting memories to make a film, cinema heritage website, exhibitions and cinema heritage trail. If you or anyone would like to get involved please get in touch Thanks Christina goingtothepictures@plazacinema.org.uk
Going to the Pictures

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far and thanks to those who have been in touch by email, your memories have been great for me to read. Thank you to Bernie for the link to the other post there's some great stuff on there. If people could share their memories with me that would be excellent. I am looking at 21 cinemas in the project in the areas of Bootle,Seaforth, Litherland, Waterloo and Crosby so lots of memorys out there, help preserve our local cinema heritage so its not forgotten Thanks Christina goingtothepictures@plazacinema.org.uk
Eddy Lloyd

Couple of pics you might have already seen them. One is the Stella and the other is the Palladium both in Seaforth

I used to go to The Palladium every Saturday morning to see Flash Gordon fighting Ming and the Claymen.
When I got older , about 13, I can remember going to the Winter gardens in Waterloo because they used to let anybody in even if it were an X film. :D
Going to the Pictures

Hi Eddie thanks for the pictures and the story, the cinemas looked such beautiful buildings shame, do you have any more you would like to share and get involved in the project.
Contact Christina goingtothepictures@plazacinema.org.uk
vinny

vinny wrote:Image

West derby rd

London Road

Prescot Rd
Bedford Road Walton

Tuebrook

Seaforth Road

South Rd

Knowsley road

ABC Litherland

Was this one ?
Blair Street ..Marsh Lane..Bootle Village..Now Brighton-le-Sands (Waterloo)
Patricia

Wonderful photos of the various cinemas - brought back a lot of memories of visiting the Stella, Odeon, Forum and the Regal - many thanks to Eddy and Vinny for posting them :D
Going to the Pictures

How gorgeous all the buildings were, such as shame most of them have gone, can I ask you Vinny where did you get the image of the regal being built I have not seen that one before. I have been trawling through the archives in sefton, but not come across that one before thanks Christina anyone else with memories please get in touch goingtothepictures@plazacinema.org.uk
Pamsy

our street gang used to go to the REGAL for the ABC Minors and we sang our heart out...."we are the boys and girls well known as, the members of the....." after the song was finished we got into the feature film and every baddie on screeen we BOOOOOOED and every goodie it was YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH.....we were a noisy bunch.....it was dark inside that when we came out to the light of day we were blinded by the light.....but we became cowboys and indians once we hit the streets home....ha
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
Pamsy

I don't see a pic of the CARLTON on Moss Lane....I have a pic of it some place in my files....loved going there
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
IanA

In the Gainsborough, Knowsley Road, the song went -

We come along on a Saturday morning,
Greeting everybody with a smile,
Knowing it's well worthwhile,
As members of the GB Club we all intend to be
Good citizens when we grow up and champions of the free
Greeting everybody with a smile
So Smile! Smile! Smile!
scotty

Pamsy wrote:our street gang used to go to the REGAL for the ABC Minors and we sang our heart out...."we are the boys and girls well known as, the members of the....." after the song was finished we got into the feature film and every baddie on screeen we BOOOOOOED and every goodie it was YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH.....we were a noisy bunch.....it was dark inside that when we came out to the light of day we were blinded by the light.....but we became cowboys and indians once we hit the streets home....ha
Pamsy,We did exactly the same in the litherland Regal.Who knows maybe our paths crossed all those years ago.Do you remember when the manager called out anybody who had a birthday that week.He would bring them on the stage and give them free tickets for the following week.I had a bout six birthdays in six weeks before he cottoned on,lol Six of us used to go and only one paid,the one who paid would then go and open the exit door and let the rest in.What little buggers we were.
Scotty
All gave some
Some gave all
lily8

Some great pics there Vinny :P

All the ex abc minors sing along:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzWjw7AO_Xo

Lily
lily8

For Eddy and all the Flash Gordon fans (yes I'm one :D )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCLDwAX3 ... 9ADA467C97
Lily
Eddy Lloyd

Brilliant Lily. :D :D :D
Going to the Pictures

The pictures are great, did u get one of those badges if you were a member of the ABC Minors club? A part of the Going to the Pictures project I will be focusing on the childrens clubs and matinees so any more memories and information, photo's or memorabillia would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Vinny for posting the photos there's some really great stuff, theres are loads of excellent videos on you tube about cinema but I would need copyright clearance to use them I think anyone know??
If anybody objects to me using your memories within the project please let me know, also if people are willing to send me stuff via email or would be filmed telling their cinema memories please get in touch with Christina goingtothepictures@plazacinema.org.uk I love hearing all the different stories and have had a great response from the forum Thank you very, very much Look forward to hearing more Christina goingtothepictures@plazacinema.org.uk
Eddy Lloyd

When we went to the Gainsborough on Knowsley Road we had ABC badges that glowed in the dark. :D