Seaforth sands (Liverpool OHR)

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Paul McCabe

Above is a pic of Seaforth Sands station (unsure of date but almost certainly pre WW2 I would think), notice that standing like bookends are The Caradoc pub to the left & The Gateway Hotel (formerly The St Winifred's pub) to the right.

Now check out the same 'Bookends' taken in September 2011.

Has anyone ever noticed the ornate brickwork interwoven on the wall between the 'Bookends'....??......it shows the Overhead railway.

I often wonder if the people in those houses realise that trains used to thunder through the space that is now their loft.......!!!!!!!

I'm the nerd in the high viz vest doing a poor impersonation of 'Casey Jones' !!$$??.

Amazingly there was neither a Robin Reliant nor 'White Van man' on duty that day.

P
Drift

I think I remember before those houses where built there where the remnants of a bridge between the "bookends", would that be right?
You can't polish a tu@d but you can roll it in glitter ;-)
Bootle Lad

The Chimney to the left of the Winny was Robinson's Engineering on Knowsley Rd with Barry's Tea Rooms to the right on the corner of Bulwer St and Knowsley Rd with the advertising on the side of it, the chimney to the left is Robinsons other foundry on the corner of Bowles St and Akenside St and in the background is Johnsons Dyeworks
Ray
Arrived in New Zealand in 1964 to get away from the cold winters of the early 60's. Now residing in Pakuranga, Auckland.
terryb

my dad worked in the stores robinson's eng, way ahead of there time on power tools arcoy drills,and saws
Dan

Seaforth Sands Bridge. Junction of Rimrose and Knowsley Roads

Seaforth Sands Station

Winifred Hotel on right. Robinson's factory also in picture.

Another view of Station

Regards

Dan
Last edited by Dan on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
filsgreen

Great photo's, thanks once again, Dan.
Dan

Removed logo and enlarged.
Paul McCabe wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:01 pm

Above is a pic of Seaforth Sands station (unsure of date but almost certainly pre WW2 I would think), notice that standing like bookends are The Caradoc pub to the left & The Gateway Hotel (formerly The St Winifred's pub) to the right.

Now check out the same 'Bookends' taken in September 2011.

Has anyone ever noticed the ornate brickwork interwoven on the wall between the 'Bookends'....??......it shows the Overhead railway.

I often wonder if the people in those houses realise that trains used to thunder through the space that is now their loft.......!!!!!!!

I'm the nerd in the high viz vest doing a poor impersonation of 'Casey Jones' !!$$??.

Amazingly there was neither a Robin Reliant nor 'White Van man' on duty that day.

P
Dan