argos road

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
tucker

My father was born at 53 Argos Road, Bootle, in 1896. Can anyone tell me where this road was was. Thanks.
Jan

:D

Hi Tucker,

Argos Road was just bordering Bootle/Kirkdale, if you go to http://maps.google.co.uk/

Type in search Argos Road Bootle it should show on the map it is still there, I don't think any of the original houses are still there though, Bootle starts at Orlando Street (from the Liverpool side).

Jan
ron waters

JAN IS THAT WHERE THE FIRST STORE WAS .
RON
Jan

:lol: :lol:

It might have been Ron, they moved the store to The Strand shopping centre, then they opened shops all over the place hehehe.

Jan
Marie777

Argos Road is where Michael Halliday lived.
daveowe

Marie 777

That is interesting because most references to Michael Halliday suggest he was from Fountains Road. Can any of the geneology site members check this out for me?

daveowe
ron waters

HE WAS A GREAT SINGER , HOW OLD WAS HE WHEN HE DIED ??
RON
daveowe

Just looked up Michaels details, strange he has been listed under two seperate names;
Michael Milne and Norman Alexander Milne, born 26 November 1928, states lived in another location St Agnes Road, off Melrose Road Kirkdale.
He died in Croydon 29th October 1963. His singing style was similar to Bing Crosby.

daveowe
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ron waters

Thanks Peter , as you say Michael sounded like Bing Crosby , that song
THE STORY OF MY LIFE is the one I remember very well .
Cheers RON
vera

:lol: Ron , Now I Know Your Age,We Brush Up Well Do We Or dont we
Just Wondering . Cheers Vera :lol:
vfc
Marie777

Michael was often seen sitting on the front step of a house in Argos Road
frank delamere

vera wrote::lol: Ron , Now I Know Your Age,We Brush Up Well Do We Or dont we
Just Wondering . Cheers Vera :lol:
VERA "OH" VERA, NOBODY COULD BE AS OLD AS RON W

DO YOU REALISE WHAT YOUR SAYING ABOUT YOURSELF. IF YOU WERE HIS AGE, YOU WOULD BE A WRINKLED PRAWN LIKE HE IS

AND I DO NOT BELIEVE YOU ARE

OH! MY GOD! AS OLD AS HIM NO! NO!

frank
Colette

My Cousin lives on Argos Rd very different now as to what it was like years ago.. the old Street was knocked down and became a sort of housing estate.. her parents lived in the old Argos Rd.. i think theres a pic in Lpool Our City Our Heritage Book.

Colette
ron waters

VERA I might be old but I am not as old as my cousin in Dublin
The little VERY OLD SCOUSE LEPRECHAUN who only wakes up now
and again . GO BACK TO SLEEP FRANK .
From your YOUNG COUSIN RON
tucker

Thanks Collete
I haven't heard of that site, I will have a look. I only came across Bootle Times Past Present Future recently while seaching through its really good to read. I managed to get my Dads birth certificate but still trying to get my Mothers I am now going to try St James parish on Monday.
Best Wishes Tucker.
Jan

:D

Hi Tucker,

The Book Colette is refering to "Our City Our Heritage" was written by Freddy O'Connor, I have the book and I had a look in it, there is a very small pic of Argos Road in it.

Jan
Colette

Hi Jan yes its not really a good pic is it very small.. pity my Aunt and uncle never took any photos years ago..

Alex & Winnie Ralston were there names Winnie is still living she is quiet well known shes in Sheltered housing now on Park St.

Colette
Glenys

Tucker,

My father was born 3 Argos road in 1905 !
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
careva26

Re Argos Road. Researching my husbands family and find although we thought they were from Woolton it turns out his grandparents lived at 13 Argos Road in 1911. Their names were Edward and Mary Carroll. They had a daughter born there. Sometime before 1914 they moved to 105 Olivia Street where they had a son born who sadly died aged just 4 months. By 1917 they were living in Halewood Road where my father-in-law was born. He was the youngest child but we believe he had five elder sisters. We have the birth certificate of Lillian Maud (the daughter born in Argos Road) and the birth and death certifiicate of baby Edward (he was born and died in Olivia Street) but we cannot find the other sisters. Any info would be appreciated. Ingrid
tucker

Sorry but I only found out my father was born and did not know where it was, I was told where it was and that is all I know. If any info comes my way I will pass it on to you.
Good Luck and Best Wishes Tucker.
annie

thank you peter for the michael holiday story . it made fascinating reading and i was amazed to see that he was buried locally also i did not know he committed suicide--so sad.loved his voice and it is sad that these people come and go in our lives and we never know of their fortunes or misfortunes.
PeterR

tucker wrote:My father was born at 53 Argos Road, Bootle, in 1896. Can anyone tell me where this road was was. Thanks.
This thread is old but here goes, My Wife nee Miller lived at 51 Argos Rd, the last time we went there 1987-the road had gone and been replaced by council flats/ units and were grubby and unkempt, not like Argos Road which was old but pristine.
What was your fathers surname ?
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
Shelagh

Hello tucker, not sure if you are still doing the Argos road research, but just want to mention, if you look on Liverpool pictures.com, there is a lovely picture of a children's day march, the boy's of Bankhall mission (which is now situated in Eliot st. of course) are parading up Argos rd. heading toward Mirranda road, the year is 1922, so who knows, your relative's could well be on camera. I came across this lovely photo whilst doing family history research, my mother who's maiden name was Gilbertson, lived in 39 Argos rd, from 1918-1939, her many relations lived in that road and surrounding area also, my mother mentioned an ice cream and a bakers shop on the corner of the road, think there was also a dairy, would love to discover old pics of these, not sure if I will, but you never know. Best wishes for all future searches, all very interesting!!!
Last edited by Shelagh on Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Bryant

This is a picture of my mothers family shop at 33 Argos road. I dont know Who E J McLoughlin was but mums dad was William (presumably the child in the photo). They still had the shop when mum was a girl, she lived at no 1 Pelops Street, which backed on to this shop on Argos road, just round the corner. The shop closed after the war due to bomb damage and the loss of customers as the area was extensively damaged, so lack of customers. William (Bill) carried on as a coal man until retiring in about 1966. He had two horses stabled under Bankhall station, and was still humping coal at 70.

Thats about all I know, but if anyone has any more information, about the area, the people or the times, do tell

Dave
Bernie R

Couple of pics of Argos Road.

One is from 1922 as mentioned above by Shelagh. The shop pic is from 1973

Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Shelagh

Love the old pictures of Argos Rd, so clear, they’re really lovely.
There’s a little girl (aged about three) just stepping off the pavement, front of ladies talking, I’m almost certain, that the little girl is my mother, looks awfully like the childhood pictures my mother once kept.
Sadly, many of the old family pictures went astray, usually each time we moved house!
Didn’t realise how important they would one day become..

Thanks for posting them Bern :)
Shelagh

Dave, great piece of history in that little picture, you’ve done well to hold onto it for so long. This must be the little shop my mother talked about, sold delicious broken cakes, two for a penny, first shop to make for whenever she had a copper or two, the lady who served was always very kind (could have been your grandmother) amazed at the size of the shop, considering the amount of stock it must have carried, really great keepsake of a photograph.
Our families would have known each other, mum went to Daisy Street school, always had lots of stories to tell about her schooldays, so very interesting.
My grandfather (mums dad) worked as a foreman on the dock, but also part owner of a coach firm, him and his brother would run trips out to the seaside, coaches were always fully booked, neighbours wanting to get away, your grandparents may have been passengers on that coach, such a close community..

Thanks for such an interesting post Dave!!
Enjoyed the trip back in time 🕛
Luciad67

Jan wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:41 pm :D

Hi Tucker,

Argos Road was just bordering Bootle/Kirkdale, if you go to http://maps.google.co.uk/

Type in search Argos Road Bootle it should show on the map it is still there meilleure mutuelles entreprise, I don't think any of the original houses are still there though, Bootle starts at Orlando Street (from the Liverpool side).

Jan
I plan to travel next year and I will surely go to England. I hope to see this emblematic city.